Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

its €220 brand new and unlocked. But i'll be taking a look at the optimus now that you have had experience with it and know what its like.

Thanks for the tip

There's plenty of people that will be getting there's in the next day or so, so wait and see what the consensus is from them! But i'd hazard a guess and say it'll be positive:).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

There's plenty of people that will be getting there's in the next day or so, so wait and see what the consensus is from them! But i'd hazard a guess and say it'll be positive:).
    i'll take your advice and wait for more opinions and personal reviews. Thanks very much for the heads up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

i'll take your advice and wait for more opinions and personal reviews. Thanks very much for the heads up:)

Just one thing though, a fair few shops are running out of them, and the price is slowly creeping back up. Have a good look around, but don't hold off for like a month or so before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I suppose this is as good a time as any to write a review for the LG.

From what I've seen from it in the last 4 days, the OS is very slick (Moreso than even iOS, imho) and the hardware is very solid, both from a tech and physical standpoint.

The screen is very good, and is highly responsive. It's a great size, too, without making the phone too bulky. Unfortunately, it's not exactly up to the same standards as a SAMOLED on the lower ranges of colour, but the fact it has gorilla glass is a plus, albeit a small one.

One point that really surprised me was the quality of the keyboard and spellcheck. It's very easy to use, and is far superior to the standard Android and iPhone keyboards. I haven't been embarrassed by errant spellcheck yet, after nearly 100 texts, and numerous forum posts.

The internet explorer is very quick, but as has been mentioned before, the controls vanish in landscape mode. I also don't like the handling of tabs, and switching between them should have been given a shortcut (two finger side swipe, perhaps?) to flick between them quickly.

While I haven't used the camera much, it is comparable to the iphone's on the quality front.

The music player is pretty good, but does need a fair bit of getting used to, if you're coming from an iOS device. It's not the best I've seen, but is by no means the worst I've seen either. The speaker is pretty respectable, but the sound quality through headphones is dire.

The marketplace (app store thing) has most of the things you want, as well as a load of junk you don't, but is still relatively bare compared with apple's. A notably crap app is youtube's, which is essentially a redirect to the mobile site, designed for smart-enough-to-use-the-internet-but-not-smart-enough-to-run-a-decent-OS-phones.

However, for €190, this phone is an absolute bargain, and the sheer usability of this phone alone outweighs all of the minor issues, which will probably be addressed by Microsoft. Windows Phone 7 is indisputably designed to directly compete with the iphone, and Microsoft will do anything in their power to close whatever gap remains between the devices, as shown by their periodic addition of features, like copypasting.

Stock is running low on these phones though, and a few sellers are seeing an opportunity to snatch another few yoyos from the extra demand. If you're going to buy one, do it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I suppose this is as good a time as any to write a review for the LG.

From what I've seen from it in the last 4 days, the OS is very slick (Moreso than even iOS, imho) and the hardware is very solid, both from a tech and physical standpoint.

The screen is very good, and is highly responsive. It's a great size, too, without making the phone too bulky. Unfortunately, it's not exactly up to the same standards as a SAMOLED on the lower ranges of colour, but the fact it has gorilla glass is a plus, albeit a small one.

One point that really surprised me was the quality of the keyboard and spellcheck. It's very easy to use, and is far superior to the standard Android and iPhone keyboards. I haven't been embarrassed by errant spellcheck yet, after nearly 100 texts, and numerous forum posts.

The internet explorer is very quick, but as has been mentioned before, the controls vanish in landscape mode. I also don't like the handling of tabs, and switching between them should have been given a shortcut (two finger side swipe, perhaps?) to flick between them quickly.

While I haven't used the camera much, it is comparable to the iphone's on the quality front.

The music player is pretty good, but does need a fair bit of getting used to, if you're coming from an iOS device. It's not the best I've seen, but is by no means the worst I've seen either. The speaker is pretty respectable, but the sound quality through headphones is dire.

The marketplace (app store thing) has most of the things you want, as well as a load of junk you don't, but is still relatively bare compared with apple's. A notably crap app is youtube's, which is essentially a redirect to the mobile site, designed for smart-enough-to-use-the-internet-but-not-smart-enough-to-run-a-decent-OS-phones.

However, for €190, this phone is an absolute bargain, and the sheer usability of this phone alone outweighs all of the minor issues, which will probably be addressed by Microsoft. Windows Phone 7 is indisputably designed to directly compete with the iphone, and Microsoft will do anything in their power to close whatever gap remains between the devices, as shown by their periodic addition of features, like copypasting.

Stock is running low on these phones though, and a few sellers are seeing an opportunity to snatch another few yoyos from the extra demand. If you're going to buy one, do it soon.
    when I first asked about it i just expected a "yeah the phone is class buy it" type of reply but after that now I am definetly going to buy it because of the price and sheer value for money aspect of it. Thanks very much for your review, it helped my decision an awful lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

There is another reason the Optimus is the best. Physical buttons.
    When your playing a game on any other WP7 device, its too easy to accidentally push the touch sensitive buttons, the Optimus is the only phone that has actual buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have the Omnia 7 and really like it. Cant compare it to other smartphones, Windows or otherwise but I'm very happy with it. It takes lovely photos and videos and the music player is good. The SAMOLED screen display is very vibrant.

The LG has double the memory so obviously thats one major thing in its favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »
    There is another reason the Optimus is the best. Physical buttons.
    When your playing a game on any other WP7 device, its too easy to accidentally push the touch sensitive buttons, the Optimus is the only phone that has actual buttons.

The new Omnia 7 firmware update disables capacitive buttons when touching the touch screen :)

The new Omnia 7 firmware update disables capacitive buttons when touching the touch screen :)
    what do ''capacitive'' buttons do and how does it affect the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

what do ''capacitive'' buttons do and how does it affect the phone?

They work by touch, so, just like touching the screen, if you touch the button, it will activate it. The buttons on the lg optimus 7, you have to actually press them in to use them...like conventional buttons.

They work by touch, so, just like touching the screen, if you touch the button, it will activate it. The buttons on the lg optimus 7, you have to actually press them in to use them...like conventional buttons.
    ah i understand now, thanks :)

Got Martin Fields screen protector for Omnia 7 of Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Only got to applying it today. But by god this is the most easy to apply screen protector i got to date. The thing just removes the bubbles itself. Usually your left with a sea of bubbles if your not doing this correctly. I let the protector just fall over the screen and there was about 2-3 tiny bubbles just around the edges and i cleaned them up with a wipe after.

Have to say the easiest to apply screen protector :) Fits perfect too :)

The only hard bit was to align it correctly. Unlike the most screen protectors out there. Its not short or too wide. So its a perfect fit. So gotta make sure its damn 99.9% accurate fit when your applying it :)

Since my optimus 7 has gorilla glass, i'm wondering if it's worth my while getting a screen protector.

Since my optimus 7 has gorilla glass, i'm wondering if it's worth my while getting a screen protector.

It won't really get scratched that much. After while you will see a few tiny stuffs that will only be visible with screen off. So It's a good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I've protective plastic over my screen and a rubber bumper. I'd definitely recommend it! The screen may be tough but it's not invincible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Here is the site i read every few days:

http://www.wpcentral.com/

and

http://windowsphonehacker.com/

I dont have a screen protector, and my screen is still fine, I did however grab a cheap silicon case off ebay for two quid, I drop my phone a lot, so its a necessity:rolleyes:

http://gizmodo.com/5807162/the-windows-phone-7-apps-everyone-should-have-may-2011

I've protective plastic over my screen and a rubber bumper. I'd definitely recommend it! The screen may be tough but it's not invincible. :)
    DjFlin wrote: »
    I dont have a screen protector, and my screen is still fine, I did however grab a cheap silicon case off ebay for two quid, I drop my phone a lot, so its a necessity:rolleyes:

http://gizmodo.com/5807162/the-windows-phone-7-apps-everyone-should-have-may-2011

Cool, i hate screen protectors so i think i'll leave mine free of one for now.

Just ordered two of these to see what they're like BAM

• Advertisement

Cool, i hate screen protectors so i think i'll leave mine free of one for now.

Just ordered two of these to see what they're like BAM

Those look like the ones I got. I've a black one and a clear one, the clear turned kinda yellow, but the black one looks better anyway.

I have a question for the win7 phone buffs. I'm trying to add the word "craic" to the dictionary so it doesn't auto correct every time i try and type it...but for some reason it wont let me add that word! When i select it, there's no "+" symbol. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I bought a case for the optimus 7 but its terrible. The case has no hole for the unlock button so its a pain in the ass to unlock the phone :mad: I would recommend flight control on windows marketplace. Well worth the €3 price tag imo

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I bought a case for the optimus 7 but its terrible. The case has no hole for the unlock button so its a pain in the ass to unlock the phone :mad: I would recommend flight control on windows marketplace. Well worth the €3 price tag imo

I know the cases i bought might be a bit crap, but for the price, i'd be willing to cut it if it was missing a hole for the unlock button! For 2.50or so for 2 of them it's no biggy.

I have a question for the win7 phone buffs. I'm trying to add the word "craic" to the dictionary so it doesn't auto correct every time i try and type it...but for some reason it wont let me add that word! When i select it, there's no "+" symbol. Any ideas?

Type in craic. Pressing space will correct it to Craig. The press on Craig and it should give ya the option of what you actually typed. Which was craic. If you click it again it will give ya the add option + . Though it still gives Craig when typing craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This is something that's been bugging me for a while. I've got a HTC HD7 and when I want to fix a typo in a word, I can touch the end or the start of the word to move the cursor to that point but can I move to a specific position? For example, today I had fix to up a contact's first name from "Catriona" to "Caitriona". The only way I could seem to do it was to delete the whole word and start again. My older, non-touch screen phones had buttons to allow navigation by character but the HD7 doesn't seem to. Am I missing something fundamental or is this just a "feature"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Press and hold on the textbox and the position cursor will appear. Then just drag it to where you want to edit the text. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Press and hold on the textbox and the position cursor will appear. Then just drag it to where you want to edit the text. :)
    Wow, thanks for that. I don't know how I've managed not to notice that feature until now. If I could thank your post more than once I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

You have to hold where you want to change and then a cursur will come up to go between letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

I brought my Samsung Omnia to Edinburgh for a day trip and can't use any app that requires GPS. Is there some weird reason why WP7 would require a data connection (which I have switched off) for the GPS to work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement