Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE jr did not switched over to RTE1+1 tonight
    any other night they did switched over at 19:00

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE jr did not switched over to RTE1+1 tonight

Yeah both channels needed to launch this evening in full. I expect Monday but only because of the EPG listings.

RTÉ 2 +1 would be a better addition and RTÉ should have proposed that as phase one of RTÉ PLUS rather then RTÉ 1+1 which is too similar to RTÉ News Now during this first phase.

Anyway next we just need them launched, one more from both TV3 and TG4 and we will be away, well kind of, oh and RTÉ PLUS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

I heard on the news that people with sky digital won't have to worry. I gather this means saorview channels will be on sky digital. If so when will that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah both channels needed to launch this evening in full. I expect Monday but only because of the EPG listings.

RTÉ 2 +1 would be a better addition and RTÉ should have proposed that as phase one of RTÉ PLUS rather then RTÉ 1+1 which is too similar to RTÉ News Now during this first phase.

Anyway next we just need them launched, one more from both TV3 and TG4 and we will be away, well kind of, oh and RTÉ PLUS.

What's RTE PLUS ?

• Advertisement

eh2010 wrote: »
    What's RTE PLUS ?

RTÉ PLUS was a channel suggested by RTÉ which would replace RTÉ 1 +1 in May 2012 it would have an entirely different schedule consisting of archive material and repeats of late night RTÉ ONE and TWO shows such as Medium, Smallville, Rescue Me etc. Minister Carey wouldn't not grand permission for the channel.
    I heard on the news that people with sky digital won't have to worry. I gather this means saorview channels will be on sky digital. If so when will that be?

RTÉ must allow Sky and UPC access to RTÉ 2 HD, RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 and RTÉ News New but Sky and UPC do not have to make them available. I assume it is up to Sky and UPC to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Souriau wrote: »

Yes, it has happened previously.

eh2010 wrote: »

They probably mean that you won't need to change anything as you're not on analogue terrestrial.

And we have RTÉjr. Doesn't make sence not to simulcast RTÉ Two's earlier schedule.

The BUG is in the right hand corner rather then the left hand one.

While we have and RTÉ TWO HD BUG also

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

IN HD!

6EB60B0246A54EFFB3E294FBC01BBC07-0000327676-0002340499-00500L-30FDC4F1AD1E4A0EB34A080DADB2B956.png

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    IN HD!

It might be! suppose a HD Upscaled BUG wouldn't fit on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The HD dog is only on screen during true HD broadcasts, their not going to have it on when its upscaled.

The HD dog is only on screen during true HD broadcasts, their not going to have it on when its upscaled.

Noddy in HD, that might be worrying for children in later life. Imagine the psychological problems caused. Suppose its only for one year.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Based on your image posted there has been a change of mind in this. That's upscaled SD.

copacetic wrote: »
    Based on your image posted there has been a change of mind in this. That's upscaled SD.

Isn't that false marketing?

NET 2 analogue looks like the sides have just been cut off to avoid the HD BUG.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

NET 2 analogue looks like the sides have just been cut off to avoid the HD BUG.

your TV is overscanning.

copacetic wrote: »
    your TV is overscanning.

Yeah looks like it on RTÉ One Analogue also. Changed the setting to Just Scan seem to have stopped now however RTÉ TWO "HD" is now in what looks like 4:3 aspect ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Pardon my ignorance, I know what a "DOG" is but what does BUG stand for?
    Bloody Ugly Graphic perhaps? :):)

Pardon my ignorance, I know what a "DOG" is but what does BUG stand for?
    Bloody Ugly Graphic perhaps? :):)

I quite like the RTÉ logos and bugs. (while they aren't need on screen the whole time).

BBC refers to them as DOGs but every graphic on screen is a DOG. Known elsewhere as a Bug which is just a description with no meaning. (so I have been told ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Yeah looks like it on RTÉ One Analogue also. Changed the setting to Just Scan seem to have stopped now however RTÉ TWO "HD" is now in what looks like 4:3 aspect ratio.
    I checked my analogue reception. The RTE One and Two DOGs seem to be at the extreme edge of the 4:3 safe area. The analogue signal is 14:9 ratio anyway - not widescreen. So it's not your TV cutting off the "HD" part of the the RTE Two DOG. It's just not there in analogue (or in the SD signal for SKY which is widescreen).

Good that RTE are transmitting programmes on the HD channel in the proper aspect ratio. Pity, though, that they are leaving the HD part of the DOG on, even when the programme is not true HD. Hope they fix that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I take it since we have had an official launch that tv3 & 3e are here to stay on the Saorview platform ??? saorview.ie still says that channels & services are"*subject to carriage agreements with the relevant broadcasters"???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is there anything happening with regards RTE1 + 1, My Panasonic is giving it as encrypted?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Stinicker wrote: »
    Is there anything happening with regards RTE1 + 1, My Panasonic is giving it as encrypted?
    My Panasonic is doing the same. RTE ONE+1 should appear this evening at 7.00pm with the Six One News.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Stinicker wrote: »
    That service has no video or audio PID associated with it at the moment. Presumably will switch over sometime before 7pm (after RTEjr has finished for the day). The two services are sharing the same video and audio streams as there is no room for more on the multiplex.
    As to why your Panasonic thinks it's encrypted - well that's Panasonic for you:rolleyes: Thank your stars that you can see Saorview at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

it is listed in the digiguide starting with six one news at 7pm on walker stb

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

doney84 wrote: »
    I take it since we have had an official launch that tv3 & 3e are here to stay on the Saorview platform ??? saorview.ie still says that channels & services are"*subject to carriage agreements with the relevant broadcasters"???

They all appear to be one big happy family based on yesterday's launch presentation - David McRedmond CEO TV3 was there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6CsijSwJ4c.

He also spoke positively of the Saorview launch in a report on the Six-One and Nine News - http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099340 (33:33 mins in)

He said "TV3 has always had one or two areas that it hasn't quiet been able to reach that will be gone now, now that we are on Saorview and that is extremely good news for us"

The Cush wrote: »
    They all appear to be one big happy family based on yesterday's launch presentation - David McRedmond CEO TV3 was there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6CsijSwJ4c.

He also spoke positively of the Saorview launch in a report on the Six-One and Nine News - http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099340 (33:33 mins in)

He said "TV3 has always had one or two areas that it hasn't quiet been able to reach that will be gone now, now that we are on Saorview and that is extremely good news for us"

He also said on TV3 that now Ireland has a good set of Free to Air Digital ones including Public service broadcaster and actual free TV :rolleyes:

He looked like he was being forced to be so nice. Anyway suppose at 15 years we can't give out to TV3 for never trying to extend to 90% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

doney84 wrote: »

Cant say for sure but i serously doubt that tv3 will want to shoot themselves in the foot by denying themselves a place on our FTA DTT service especially with the coverage and quality range signal wise and with the potentially large takeup of this platform over the next 18 months - i think its safe to assume that tv3 and 3e are here to stay :)

Little sidenote - noticed that the rte two hd logo is on for the last 10 minutes at least even during a trte clip which wasnt in HD...how exactly will we see the HD tag employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will they be expanding on the channel selection available a la Freeview in the UK or is it always just going to be the Irish channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Sleepy wrote: »
    Will they be expanding on the channel selection available a la Freeview in the UK or is it always just going to be the Irish channels?

Im not quite sure what you are asking but if you are reffering to future releases of channels for the saorview. there is an dail/political channel and an irish film channel in the pipeline from what i remember. rte plus (stage 2 of rte 1 +1) was denied by the previous minister for communication.

We wont see any uk freeview channels on saorview although i do wonder - could channel 4 put thier "channel 4 ireland" on saorview. we wont see the bbc or itv on it though that is for sure. have to take into account existing program rights to boot.

would be nice if a couple of news channels came on board like cnn and bbc world news as well and a couple from freeview like sky 3 or dave (seriously doubt any of this will ever happen though)

Any info in regards to the expression of interest period that the BAI had?

Advertisement