Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah it's a bit daft. They could move 0-6 on RTÉ2 to 7am and looped on RTÉjr until 3pm (perhaps repeat or just start RTÉ 1+1 at 3). Also this is why it strange to start it on a Thursday when RTÉjr will be off until Monday.

Nice to see a new boarder around RTÉ News Now, wondering if that is RTÉ Publishing's idea especially with the RTÉ.ie BUG in the right bottom.

Again, not sure what the point of not doing weekends is - I'd hope to see that bandwidth utilised for something else if they're not going to run childrens programming.

This is one case where they have a pretty successful model to follow in Cbeebies. I haven't been too harsh on RTE on the whole project, but this smacks of a feck up to me on what should be a simple thing!

They would need to get permission. And everyone had a chance to comment on RTÉ initial proposal to the government. I don't see why they need the model of Cbeebies???? What will happen hopefully is an investment in to more Irish Animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

A bit harsh! You could always look up the EPG and change the channel - cartoons on RTÉ TWO + TG4 right now. Not that I'm watching. :rolleyes:

we are in the 20th centry not the stone age . i'm sorry if i am a bit harsh but it is the truth i wonder how many people agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

21st actually :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't see why they need the model of Cbeebies???? What will happen hopefully is an investment in to more Irish Animations.
    I meant more in terms of getting the channel established, rather than content. No one in the UK with freeview is faffing around between BBC channels - the preschool programming is on cbeebies (the residual content on BBC2 will go once ASO is complete I would guess).

I want their first choice to be irish programming, even if just for the links with the Irish words (and Irish accent!) that they do between programs - even if it's inevitable that a lot of the content will be UK, as it is now.

And just to add, I'd like to see just more investment in Irish Childrens programming. There's no reason non-animated programmes couldn't be made, and sold on (if that's the logic behind the focus on animation). And animation doesn't hold my childrens attention as well as presenter lead programming anyway to be honest.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And just to add, I'd like to see just more investment in Irish Childrens programming. There's no reason non-animated programmes couldn't be made, and sold on (if that's the logic behind the focus on animation). And animation doesn't hold my childrens attention as well as presenter lead programming anyway to be honest.

Difficult to sell presenter lead programming international by comparison. My own experience of being a child was that only The Den could hold my attention while most everything else I watched was animation (Duck Tales, Animanicas, Looney Tunes, Tazmania :) ) You ever see presenter lead US programming? RTÉ rarely bought in presenter lead English programming. (Rumour Room and Elevate and Hubble). Did RTÉ ever show Blue Peter (and why would they?). And they have a number of "task" driven competition shows (The Mountain etc).

IMO RTÉ Two will aim its daytime TV at a teen audience which will include TRTÉ, a mix of BBC Switch and CBBC if you like! But who knows they could just start an RTÉ version of Ireland AM :(

• Advertisement

jamescc wrote: »
    I would love to find out what children start watching the TV at 11:00am and don't bother with it at the weekend, absolute joke.
    It reminds me of when rte would start up at 12:00 midday when half the day was gone.
    I am beginning to wonder if there was not a mandate from the EU, if rte/government would have gone digital at all.
    I would also wonder what our licence is paying for. But I am sure someone will tell me that.

RTÉ provide children's programming at the weekend. This is just phase 1 before ASO.
    While not relating to RTÉ the BBC were not allowed broadcasted during morning and late night hours until the 1980s.
    RTÉ where pushing for it before they were told to sell their share in cablelink, the government are being forced rather then RTÉ.
    €70million has gone into Digital infrastructure, a huge chunk of their programming budget gone just with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Presenter lead might not have been the right phrase - real actors/ real people? I'm sure it's harder, but with the number of UK channels there must be some market? But still, regardless of selling on potential, there should still be irish programmes of a similar vein to Nina and the neurons, Green Ballon club, Something Special etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

moz wrote: »
    21st actually :p

i stand corrected

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Presenter lead might not have been the right phrase - real actors/ real people? I'm sure it's harder, but with the number of UK channels there must be some market? But still, regardless of selling on potential, there should still be irish programmes of a similar vein to Nina and the neurons, Green Ballon club, Something Special etc.

Cheaper to buy in "better" "quality" US programming, such as Hanna Montana :( (for British channels e.g. High 5 was bought by Channel 5 but then they started making an English version, unusual for Canadian or Australian's to sell such programming)

RTÉjr has inserts such as Grubz Up for younger children, perhaps they need to extend them. You can also sell Animation to a larger European Audience.

Believe it if You Like :) <<< ref to pajo's junkbox :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Any hope Saorview will activate Series Link as part of the big launch on Saturday ? It's the only vital piece of infrastructure missing. Sky will be toast as far as I'm concerned the minute I can replace the Sky+ box with a Saorview+ box or equivalent that can use series link.

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Any hope Saorview will activate Series Link as part of the big launch on Saturday ? It's the only vital piece of infrastructure missing. Sky will be toast as far as I'm concerned the minute I can replace the Sky+ box with a Saorview+ box or equivalent that can use series link.

No. We haven't even suggested that yet :)

Is there a Saorview EPG? or is it dependent on Television I have a MPEG4 TV but the EPG is the TVs. (if so any screen shots).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Is there a Saorview EPG? or is it dependent on Television I have a MPEG4 TV but the EPG is the TVs. (if so any screen shots).

No Saorview MHEG-5 epg. The DVB-SI, EIT data (7 day epg) is displayed by the receivers own built in guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Must there be a Saorview Epg for series link to work, or can it work off the epg generated by the tv ?

Must there be a Saorview Epg for series link to work, or can it work off the epg generated by the tv ?

MHEG-5 epg not required for the series link. Freeview uses the DVB-SI epg for series link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

I see ch 7 is named rte jnr and ch 8 is rte 1+1 now

jj build wrote: »
    I see ch 7 is named rte jnr and ch 8 is rte 1+1 now

Since this morning - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72405131#post72405131

Any hope Saorview will activate Series Link as part of the big launch on Saturday ?

Are there any Saorview certified PVRs to use the series link? We don't know if the Saorview (Nordig) series link will work with a Freeview (D Book) receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tretle

The Cush wrote: »
    Are there any Saorview certified PVRs to use the series link? We don't know if the Saorview (Nordig) series link will work with a Freeview (D Book) receiver.
    PlayTV supports it. There are linux drivers for it too so gnome-dvb daemon supports it allowing you to use it with the ps3 and totem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

tretle wrote: »
    PlayTV supports it. There are linux drivers for it too so gnome-dvb daemon supports it allowing you to use it with the ps3 and totem :)

Didnt sony lockdown and shut out all linux OS and plugin compatibilty with the ps3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tretle

@warlikedave

Yeah, you cant install Linux on any of the latest firmwares. You can load on custom firmware if you want Linux back though. It's irrelevant though as I was talking about using playtv on any pc with Linux installed. not necessarily on a ps3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

@warlikedave

Yeah, you cant install Linux on any of the latest firmwares. You can load on custom firmware if you want Linux back though. It's irrelevant though as I was talking about using playtv on any pc with Linux installed. not necessarily on a ps3.

Aye heard about GeoHot and his jailbreak - cant connect to the PSN though if you use it plus Sony patched that up with another update before the PSN was hacked after they settled thier civil case with GeoHot.

never used a playtv box - are they any good? what are they like for freeview and saorview may i ask?

Don't see RTÉ rushing out the series link for a non certified receiver.

I think the listings were up on the epg for RTÉ One +1 earlier but they appear to be gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

As i posted this on satellite thread, thought ye might be interested here:

RTE commence broadcasting free to air on satellite at 9e on KA band

As the title says, saorsat has begun testing.

20185 L dvbs2

More details here:

20185 L

Saorsat
    DVB-S2 25000-1/2
    QPSK
    8564-1001

RTÉ One tests MPEG-4 1101 1101 1201 E

RTÉ Two tests MPEG-4/HD 1102 1102 1202 E

RTÉ News Now MPEG-4 1105 1105 1205 E

RTÉ Radio 1 1226 1226 E

RTÉ Radio 2 FM 1227 1227 E

RTÉ Lyric FM 1228 1228 E

RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta 1229 1229 Ir

RTÉ Radio 1 Extra 1230 1230 E

RTÉ Pulse 1231 1231 E

RTÉ 2XM 1232 1232 E

RTÉ Choice 1233 1233 E

RTÉ Gold 1234 1234 E

RTÉ Chill
    1235 1235 E

RTÉ Junior 1235 1235 E

Eutelsat Ka-Sat © Lyngemark Satellite, last updated 2011-05-20 - http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

givecredit wrote: »
    As i posted this on satellite thread, thought ye might be interested here:

RTE commence broadcasting free to air on satellite at 9e on KA band

Posted last night on the Saorsat thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72422495#post72422495
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

RTÉ services now apparently available. Anyone able to try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Still a bit early to rush out and buy an LNBF for Ka-Sat. Maybe next week though ;) ?

I have a Ku aligned on 9E, so I only need to change the LNBF. Only a single output needed for multiple receivers or a Multiswitch.

TBH I'd wait till either 3 & 3e is on it too, or RTE announces it exists. If it was Ku, be different. But buying Ka Band stuff is a financial risk and the cost for a "professional" LNBF "one off" inc postage is significant.

It won't feed a Sky box (even HD) or PC DVB-S card. You need DVB-S2 PC card or a suitable DVB-S2 HD receiver. "Freesat HD" boxes with "other channels" features may work.

The Cush wrote: »
    I think the listings were up on the epg for RTÉ One +1 earlier but they appear to be gone again.

Listing now appearing for RTÉ News Now.

From RTÉ.ie home page
    Ireland's free-to-air digital television service launches today
    SAORVIEW, Ireland's first free digital television service, will launch this morning. The free service brings you all your favourite Irish channels, crystal-clear pictures and better quality sound.

www.rte.ie

Also RTÉjr will begin at 9am and end at 6:30pm according to the saorview site.
    RTÉjr shares channel space with RTÉ One +1 and will be on from 9am to 6.30pm and is free of advertising.

http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/television-channels-and-services/

From DCENR

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Minister+Rabbitte+Launches+National+Free+to+Air+Digital+Terrestrial+Television.htm
    Minister Rabbitte Launches National Free to Air Digital Terrestrial Television

(DTT)

Dublin, 26th May 2011

The national launch of Saorview, RTÉs free to air DTT service, took place today and was attended by Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

At the national launch the Minister said, “With the national launch of Saorview today, Ireland at last enters the era of national free to air digital broadcasting. This will bring new opportunities to our Irish broadcasters ensuring that they continue to compete with their European counterparts and will also benefit TV viewers by offering a wider array of TV channels, programme guides, information channels and some high definition content”.

At a cost of €70m RTÉ and RTÉ Networks Limited (RTÉNL) have been building and rolling out the new digital terrestrial television network. This digital network will replace the current analogue network which is nearing obsolescence.

The launch of Saorview forms an integral part of Ireland’s national digital switchover strategy which provides for the ultimate closure of the analogue TV network at the end of 2012. In achieving this strategy there remains much work to be done. Minister Rabbitte added, “The recent research commissioned by my Department shows that at least a quarter of a million Irish households are reliant on the analogue service and with the national launch these households have 18 months to move to digital TV before the analogue TV network is switched off.

Whilst I, and my officials will work to ensure that information and assistance is available to all Irish households, I would like to take this opportunity to call on industry stakeholders to work together during this period to provide for easy to use and accessible digital TV equipment and services so that the transition to digital is straightforward and affordable”.

Ends

Notes to Editors:

On launch day Saorview is available to c. 97% of the population from 51 DTT enabled sites around the country. The RTÉ website www.saorview.ie has a coverage map where people can check if they are covered by Saorview.

Further information on the Saorview service is available on www.saorview.ie

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0526/saorview.html
    Saorview, Ireland's new free-to-air digital television service, has been launched today by the Minister for Communications.

Digital Television - Saorview replaces the old analogue television service
    Related Stories

Five RTÉ digital TV channels approved
    New digital service starts on trial basis
    Saorview, Ireland's new free-to-air digital television service, has been launched today by Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte.
    'Saorview will secure the future of Irish free-to-air television in the digital age' Minister Rabbitte said.
    The service carries eight channels and is now available to 97% of households in Ireland.
    RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, TV3, TG4, RTÉ News Now, 3e, RTÉjr and RTÉ One + 1 are all available on Saorview, which also carries a new digital RTÉ Aertel service and RTÉ's radio services.
    Saorview replaces the old analogue television service, which will be shut off across Europe at the end of next year.
    If households who currently receive their television signal via an aerial do not switch to digital they will lose Irish television services when the analogue signal is switched off.
    Saorview is a digital terrestrial television service and the signal is broadcast from transmission masts across Ireland.
    'We are delighted to be able to offer such a high quality service free to Irish viewers' RTÉ's Director of Digital Switchover Mary Curtis said.
    Ms Curtis added that after households buy a new set top box or an integrated digital television there is no subscription or ongoing costs for people using Saorview.
    RTÉ is investing €70m in the infrastructure needed to allow Ireland make the transition from analogue to digital television.
    For more information about Saorview go to www.saorview.ie, Aertel page 650 or lo call 1890 222 012.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/free-to-air-digital-television-service-to-be-launched-today-506470.html
    Free-to-air digital television service to be launched today
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Pat Rabbitte is launching Ireland's new free-to-air digital television service today.

Irish households will need to switch to Saorview by the end of 2012, as the old analogue television signal is switched off across the EU.

Unlike analogue television, Saorview requires a set-top-box (which costs about €100) or integrated digital television with a built-in receiver to decode the digital signal that comes through an aerial.

To receive Saorview, householders need to connect their set-top-box to their aerial and television.

For most households currently receiving analogue television through a rooftop aerial, the total cost of making the switch to Saorview will be the c€100 paid for an approved set-top-box that can be installed by householders.

"(The €100 cost) is likely to drop as more approved set-top-boxes enter the market and as volume increases," according to the Saorview website.

Pat Rabbitte will launch the service at RTE's headquarters in Dublin this morning.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/21950-minister-to-launch/
    Ireland's new free-to-air digital TV service is to be launched this morning at RTÉ's headquarters in Dublin by Pat Rabbitte, Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

TV viewers in Ireland will have to switch to Saorview by the end of 2012, because the old analogue television signal will be turned off across the European Union.

Saorview will require a set-top box connected to a householder's aerial and television, or integrated digital TV with a built-in receiver to decode the digital signal that comes through an aerial.

The set-top box costs around €100, but that price may decrease as more approved set-top boxes become available, Saorview has said.

What they say on twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/search/saorview

• Advertisement

Launch now on News Now

www.rte.ie/newsnow

Advertisement