Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Ok not strictly retro but got the megadrive collection on the PSP. Not bad at €4.99

PSP games have gotten so cheap these days!

Went into town today to pick up either the megadrive collection or the dreamcast collection for the 360. Just read that post before I left and I swear I very nearly came home with a new PSP instead (the thought of all those megadrive games on a portable, nice looking screen......) Instead the dreamcast collection swung me, mainly because I've been thinking about going down the dreamcast road, and I already have a megadrive. The PSP will have to wait until funds are a bit more allowing....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

Spectrum Games I got at a boot sale last week for 1 euro:). Turbo outrun still had the original supplied poster :D. Pretty much as new condition these games and play perfectly. I'm very pleased to get these two together!
    [IMG][/img]outrun-1.jpg

Nice T-shirt offer inside the inlay of Outrun:)
    [IMG][/img]outrun2.jpg

The deception of those screenshots! Sneeky showing the arcade screen shots instead of actual spectrum ones, what they use to do back in the day..Turbo Outrun is actually not great at all on this machine which is a pitty. You were paying your £7.99 for the box art ;)
    [IMG][/img]outrun3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just nabbed a PS2 copy of Gunbird:Special Edition for the handsome sum of €3.87!

I don't even have a PS2 yet but at that price I felt it was silly to let it pass me by. Plan ahead! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lol at the screenshots on the back of the turbo outrunbox :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lol at the screenshots on the back of the turbo outrunbox :)

I had the C64 copy, I remember that poster and those screenshots very well. Nice memories, a great game. Congrats on the swag. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Screenshots,you wonder how they got away with advertising for another port back then?.
    Speccy turbo outrun is slow,vid if you never played it-

Original outrun as per pic comes with 2 cassettes. The second cassette contains the true arcade music so u can pop it in your stereo and play it in the background while playing the game. That's kind of cool actually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

€40 in The RAGE got me and the missus:

GTA 2 (PS1)
    Starwing (Boxed, mint condition)
    Tetris
    Super Mario World 2
    MDK

God I love that shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Was in Rage today picked up Castlevania adventure and Fortress of Fear on Gameboy for 12. Loads of sweet Gameboy games in there at the moment, just wish I had more money when I was there so i could clear them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario World 2

I take it that's what normal people call Yoshis Island?? ;)
    Also, re: MDK, is that the PS or PC version?
    I played both and they both completely rock!
    First proper sniper rifle action in a videogame, forget that Goldeneye gubbins!

Love the worlds smallest nuclear bomb, brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Actually the underappreciated Outlaws got there before it and I think there was some vietnam game before it that had it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Got a Boxed Gameboy Micro today with 11 of the worst movie and tv games out there, which we have to thank THQ for btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I take it that's what normal people call Yoshis Island?? ;)
    Also, re: MDK, is that the PS or PC version?
    I played both and they both completely rock!

Love the worlds smallest nuclear bomb, brilliant!
    Whoops I meant Super Mario Land 2! The Six Golden Coins one :)
    And MDK is the PS1 version. I remember it on PC and it was amazing, fingers crossed it holds up :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario Land 2 is one of those games that just puched the host hardware beyond what most people expected it to do, I mean I loved Super Mario Land on the GB and accepted the graphical limitations of the console, then along comes the follow up and rewrites the book.
    The only game to do that before, or since perhaps, was Super Mario Bros 3 which rewrote the book on what the Nes was capable of.

Any other games out there really push the envelope in your opinions?

X on the gameboy
    ufouria on the NES
    Mayhem in Monsterland on C64
    Batman and Robin and Gunstar Heroes on Megadrive
    Doom and Chrono Trigger on the SNES
    Panzer Dragoon Saga of Saturn
    FFIX on PS1
    Sin and Punishment on N64
    Under Defeat on Dreamcast
    Black on PS2 (****ty game though)
    Aria of Sorrow on GBA
    Resi 4 on GC
    Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox

110% agree with that. Add the C64 version of Lemmings to that list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

X on the gameboy
    ufouria on the NES
    Batman and Robin and Gunstar Heroes on Megadrive
    Doom and Chrono Trigger on the SNES
    Panzer Dragoon Saga of Saturn
    FFIX on PS1
    Sin and Punishment on N64
    Under Defeat on Dreamcast
    Black on PS2 (****ty game though)
    Aria of Sorrow on GBA
    Resi 4 on GC
    Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox

Ah crap - when I first read that and thought you were after going on a mad spending spree and buying all of the above!

Long time since I did that. Need a job first :)

Great games there Retr0, not sure Panzer Orta really pushed the Xbox though, in fact I don't think the console lasted long enough to reach that stage.

+1 about Black though, visually it belonged in the next gen, gameplay was better than you suggest though.
    And while Resi4 was amazing, the remake of Resi 1 kinda proved the visual power of the 'Cube so I think I was never gobsmacked at how they managed it.

• Advertisement

For me Orta definitely pushed the Xbox harder thant anything else. You could say Halo 2 but for me it pushed the Xbox too hard and it ended up with a crap framerate and technical issues like texture pop up.

Really don't like Black at all. It was 3 hours long and I thought the combat was so boring and simplistic.

Resi Remake is a stunning looking game but for me it relies too heavily on prerendered backgrounds while Resi 4 is real time 3D and looks amazing.

Surely there's a case to say that the framerate issues in most games, that early on in a consoles life, are more likely to be down to poorly optimised code rather than an inability of the hardware to meet demand?
    Even though it was a first party game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Any other games out there really push the envelope in your opinions?

Donkey Kong Land on the gameboy was pretty amazing, pretty sick music too!
    DKC obviously breathed new life into the snes with those 3 games, and some mode 7 games like mario kart and fzero look amazing too ( nintendo fanboy ;) )

Racketboy did a great piece here on games that pushed the limits http://www.racketboy.com/retro/limits.htm

Alot of unofficial games had talented programmers,street fighter zero nes anyone?-

Tomb Raider III on the the ps1 had big frame rate issues. Every time you swung around it all slowed down and became jerky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Just look at the game. Halo 2 covers absolutely everything in Pixel Shaders. The fact that the game takes a few seconds to load the pixel shaders in and the pop up makes it very noticeable that every texture is covered with a bump mapped pixel shader on top of it.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is again a case of looking at it. The enivorments aren't covered with pixel shaders but the NPC and enemy models use them very subtley. Check out the model viewer in pandoras box to see it. It's a far more subtle and frankly better use of pixel shaders. There was a time that pixel shaders where plastered about in every game and it was like coloured lighting and lens flair in the 90's they were over used and made games look ugly despite being technically of a very high standard. It took Half-Life to show people that a more subtle use of lighting and coloured light makes far better looking games and funnily enough it was Half-Life 2 that thought developers to be more subtle with the use of pixel shaders.

aaah so you don't really know what shaders are. got it :P

aaah so you don't really know what shaders are. got it :P

Eh yeah I do. Unless you had some other description of what shaders are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Just comes across like someone who's read a bunch of technical terms on Wikipedia or something and is just regurgitating it here. You don't seem to know how they actually work and are applied..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Popcorn, king, & a beer at the ready :) Just to set the recliner to 'observe' mode & this should be good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just won a nice few games on ebay for decent prices

Cliffhanger
    Cutthroat Island
    Normys beach babe-o-rama
    Arcade Classics

All for the MD, boxed and complete :D

Just got Small Soldiers for the PS1 for 99p aswell. One of those games I rented back in the day and didnt beat, its redemption time now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement