Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Got a ps2 network adapter of adverts. One step closer to Hard drive loading games! Though from the looks of things the only way to put games on is to plug the hard drive into your pc or an enclosure. I was hoping that ethernet port on the back might be useful for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

megaten wrote: »
    Got a ps2 network adapto rof adverts. One step closer to Hard drive loading games! Though from the looks of things the only way to put games on is to plug the hard drive into your pc or an enclosure. I was hoping that ethernet port on the back might be useful for something.

You can FTP games over via the network port on the back. It's meant to take a while though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,014 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Got a ps2 network adapto rof adverts. One step closer to Hard drive loading games! Though from the looks of things the only way to put games on is to plug the hard drive into your pc or an enclosure. I was hoping that ethernet port on the back might be useful for something.

You can also copy it straight from the disk. HD Loader allows you to copy games in the PS2 drive to the disk. However it has to be a genuine disc and be the same region as the PS2. The best way is hooking it up with an IDE to a PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must fiddle more with the Test console, never really tried to install to the harddrive although previous tenants did. It's not as easy as a modded Xbox that's for sure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hurray!
    Vaguely retro related but I got a hori FS3 for 15 quid in game.
    arrivage-hori-fighting-stick-3-playstation-3-L-2.jpeg
    I'd actually just picked it up for SF IV fun on the ps3 , but it works perfectly well in MAME on windows :)
    Its a decent enough stick and apparently its fairly easy to swap higher quality parts in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

apparently its fairly easy to swap higher quality parts in.
    Not really, no :)

A touch easier than EX2, a LOT harder than Madcatz.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Not really, no :)

A touch easier than EX2, a LOT harder than Madcatz.
    ah fair enough
    still though its good enough for me , especially at that price:)

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I must fiddle more with the Test console, never really tried to install to the harddrive although previous tenants did. It's not as easy as a modded Xbox that's for sure!

I'm having awful trouble with mine. Can get ps1 backups running on it but that's about it.

You have to make a ps2 game a master disc to run on it. Something which just won't work for me at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tbh given the cheap nature of PS2 games I see little reason, aside from saving space, to bother installing games.
    Unless you are getting some "back ups" of NTSC games...
    Remember kids, Piracy is wrong....

Master of the Universe

tbh given the cheap nature of PS2 games I see little reason, aside from saving space, to bother installing games.

Saving your ps2 laser is one of the big reasons for doing it. Especially if it's a lovely test unit :)

edit- just FYI Ciderdude, if you are interested in getting games running on that test ps2, the program for patching them is called 'losers master patcher' or something like that. It's very hard to find. If you need it give me a shout and I can email it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just ordered an official Dreamcast arcade stick from Console Passion for €38 delivered to Eire! :D

Maybe it's a coincidence but as I clicked the purchase button to finalize payment, this just plopped on to my desk:

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Just ordered an official Dreamcast arcade stick from Console Passion for €38 delivered to Eire! :D

Maybe it's a coincidence but as I clicked the purchase button to finalize payment, this just plopped on to my desk:

€38 is a really good price. Glad you finally got one!

Enjoy the new arrival by the way. I'm jealous. Was going to pick up a stick for my 360 yesterday in Gamestop but I had the girlfriend with me so I thought I better not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I was looking up this loader called open ps2 loader which lets you use Virtual memory cards for hard drive installed games. Thats a pretty useful feature for those games that eat up an entire memory card by themselves.

o1s1n wrote: »
    €38 is a really good price. Glad you finally got one!

Enjoy the new arrival by the way. I'm jealous. Was going to pick up a stick for my 360 yesterday in Gamestop but I had the girlfriend with me so I thought I better not :D

Thanks! The list price for a loose stick was £25 plus £7 delivery, which worked out to about €38 all in to Eire. Says it's in stock and they have my money now so I hope the goods come through. Excited for Mushimesama Futari too, especially considering I've waited nearly a month for the thing to arrive! Means my Dreamcast VGA box I bought from HK shouldn't be too far behind now!

I got the Hori EX2 from Gamestop brand new for €25. I'm happy with it but in future (and when funds allow) I'd like to buy a TE and modify it with 'fun stuff'. :D

Nickel's worth of advice, don't take the good woman to a video games store. However, if you do, casually remind them that men spend an average of 4% of their entire lifetime waiting outside a clothes shop for women (not in a weird, creepy way; more a statstical err... 'y'know' kind of way). Forget where I read that fact, probably a Schotts book or something. It's true nonetheless. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Futari Arrange Mode ftw.

Also, the Black Label content is actually available on the Xbox Irish marketplace if you're looking for it. Expensive enough, and not a massive change from the original version, but if you're itching for a new, remixed mode it is available!

Futari Arrange Mode ftw.

Also, the Black Label content is actually available on the Xbox Irish marketplace if you're looking for it. Expensive enough, and not a massive change from the original version, but if you're itching for a new, remixed mode it is available!

Thanks for the tips. I did indeed see Black Label DLC on Eire XBLA. It's 1200 MP though, so pricey as you rightfully said. Maybe next month I'll nab that, whatever happens though it's definitely getting bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Picked up a TE round 2 fightstick (PS3) in HMV over the weekend, birthday present to myself :D

The Dreamcast Agetec, aka Green Goblin is a very nice stick.

The stock stick uses Omron switches (same as Sanwa JLF), though you can NOT sub in Sanwa TP-MA substrate as they had to make it a different shape to prevent patent-infringement.

If the stick feels a bit loose, you could try a simple spring-mod (I *should* have some fresh springs lying around).

Buttons IIRC were pretty nice too.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The Dreamcast Agetec, aka Green Goblin is a very nice stick.

Yep that's the one I ordered. Glad to hear it has 'fun stuff' in it as stock. Though I like to fiddle so will look to add more 'fun stuff' further down the road.

Can you change the sticks to bats instead of ball tops? I think I'd prefer a bat, I have trouble finding a comfortable grip with the Hori EX2 on my 360S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Picked up Steel Diver 3DS (dont bother buying it)
    Nemesis on Gameboy
    Toe Jam and Earl on MD for €5

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    Picked up Steel Diver 3DS (dont bother buying it)

Really? I heard it was good and was going to check it out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mario All stars came in the post today, nice cart, mario 1,2,3 the lost levels and mario world 1 are on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Really? I heard it was good and was going to check it out :(

so far it's rubbish, it's far too slow paced and when the action happens it's messy and unco-ordinated. Also I seem to get shot from off screen a lot.

The audio track is possibly the worst ever, it only has a few sayings "Fire" "surface" "dive" so after 30 minutes playing I want to smash it due to these repetitious words.

Graphically it's not that great either the 3D effect is ok (ish) and comes into its own occasionally

The Periscope mini game just get in the way on of the main mission mode and becomes a pain after the first few goes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Steve X2

nuxxx wrote: »
    Mario All stars came in the post today, nice cart, mario 1,2,3 the lost levels and mario world 1 are on it :)

Do you mind if i ask how much you paid for that? The reason I ask is I got it in RAGE last week as I just really wanted it, but it cost 25 euro. Just wondering how much cheaper it was online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,014 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd pay 5-10 for an allstars cart. It's one of the most common carts for the super nintendo so not worth much at all. Even at 10 it's pushing it. Go to any car boot sale and you'll probably get a SNES with all stars for 10

Master of the Universe

If you're going cart only then you should be able to get Mario All-Stars for under €15. It's not hard to come by at all.

I mean i knew i was paying over the odds for all-stars with mario world. But I just wanted it that day as I got a SNES as well and hadn't played one in months as my old one died.

Retro games are getting pricey these days. It goes for 20 Euro on Ebay.

Yep that's the one I ordered. Glad to hear it has 'fun stuff' in it as stock. Though I like to fiddle so will look to add more 'fun stuff' further down the road.

Can you change the sticks to bats instead of ball tops? I think I'd prefer a bat, I have trouble finding a comfortable grip with the Hori EX2 on my 360S.
    Bat top mod only requires screwdrivers.

You want to order Sanwa LB-30N.
    ArcadeShop.de & AkihabaraShop.jp sell it WITH the required adapter.

Then just open your baseplate, use a flat screwdriver to remove the balltop, and finally add the bat top.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

If you're going cart only then you should be able to get Mario All-Stars for under €15. It's not hard to come by at all.

I think you pay a bit more for the one with Mario World on it aswell though?

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    I think you pay a bit more for the one with Mario World on it aswell though?

Yeah, about 20 euro on Ebay as far as I can see. So 25 euro is ok in RAGE, when you take postage into consideration.

Still, retro game prices are really on the increase, me no likey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement