Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

O Riain wrote: »
    new years????????????? this was 2 weeks ago!
    Wait we've been over this already. You paid two different times because you were going into two different venues. You paid a TOTAL of €15 for two different venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Wait we've been over this already. You paid two different times because you were going into two different venues. You paid a TOTAL of €15 for two different venues.

This two different venues crap simply does not wash with me. Even if it did it does not disguise the fact that i was paying 5 euro in to simply see a band before 12 o clock in a regular pub. Is there anywhere else doing that? If i was down town i coulda been in a pub and then gone into Escape/Harveys/Foundry before 12 and i would have paid no cover charge what so ever, the fact of the matter here is i went to the forum BEFORE 12 and i got charged E15 in total. You can try and justify it all you like, but the people voted with their feet cause the place was horrendously dead, and I aint goin back.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Mod Note:

Less of the abuse lads, keep it civil. Last Warning

ziedth wrote: »
    Mod Note:

Less of the abuse lads, keep it civil. Last Warning

ah here i only called em a dope lol its an almost affectionate bit of slander in waterford

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

O Riain wrote: »
    ah here i only called em a dope lol its an almost affectionate bit of slander in waterford

Be that as it may it's against the charter. i'd appreciate it if ya didn't do it again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was in Mason's last night and that new bar is a bit of a nightmare. There's a large load bearing pillar about 2 foot in front of it that's directly in the main route to the toilets so you have people squeezing everywhere to get past. The advantages of the new space is very welcome though.

I must say that The Foundry's video display in their window is very impressive. I remember Club LA having to remove something like it years a go as it was a distraction to drivers but I'd imagine The Foundry will be okay as it's in internal projection onto the window and wouldn't require planning permission.

Be that as it may it's against the charter. i'd appreciate it if ya didn't do it again. :D

lol alright but if you read my post again I used the word dope generally, i coulda been talkin about anyone, I coulda even been talkin about you :) lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two new pubs for Waterford? Are they MAD?! Shocking in this day and age. Have no clue. Will be dead in the water I tell ya, dead in the water!

Not liking the paint job on the new place....I'm sure they were going for lime or something, but it just looks snot green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Listening to ye lot we would be better off selling tumbleweed in the city . Listen no matter what you like and dont like it create welcomed jobs in this city .Have to say the comments here from people who think they know everything amaze me . Same thing was said when masons was taken over , that wont work etc etc . The more the merrier .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Listening to ye lot we would be better off selling tumbleweed in the city . Listen no matter what you like and dont like it create welcomed jobs in this city .Have to say the comments here from people who think they know everything amaze me . Same thing was said when masons was taken over , that wont work etc etc . The more the merrier .

Fair point its creating jobs no complaints on that one, but Waterford is just not big enough to sustain another club, look at the foundry they are barely making a profit each week. As for masons they can afford to put on extremely good drink promos which will attract a crowd the majority of bar and club owners can’t afford to do this.

If you had 2 million of your own hard earned cash, would you honestly put it into a club in a city whose nightlife is struggling most weeks knowing you will be lucky to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Fair point its creating jobs no complaints on that one, but Waterford is just not big enough to sustain another club, look at the foundry they are barely making a profit each week. As for masons they can afford to put on extremely good drink promos which will attract a crowd the majority of bar and club owners can’t afford to do this.

If you had 2 million of your own hard earned cash, would you honestly put it into a club in a city whose nightlife is struggling most weeks knowing you will be lucky to make a profit.

As Big-Slick-Poker says, the more the merrier. Waterford not being big enough to sustain too many pubs and clubs at the moment is a fair point, but the fact is that we've all been giving out about the existing nightlife for what seems like an eternity, so let the new clubs in and see if they can take over. Only the strong survive. We can't expect change if we don't embrace it when it comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

The point ill make to u that ur on boards so much talkin about this that and the other . Get up and fix it yourself if ur so good . Even ur username is 11 years out of date like all your comments

End of rant

The point ill make to u that ur on boards so much talkin about this that and the other . Get up and fix it yourself if ur so good . Even ur username is 11 years out of date like all your comments

End of rant

Hmmmm, unless I'm stepping on some kind of personal issue
    That is a little harsh and uncalled for. This is a discussion page and musicman is as entitled to his opinion as anyone.

He raises a fair point too, Waterford even in the height of the boom couldn't sustain 8 late bars or nightclubs (quick count in my head maybe I missed some) and in six months we will have Foundry, Front Lounge, Revelutions, Escape, Harveys, Muldoons & Ten's new places, Kazbar and Masons. I thinks it's fair to say that not enough people go out to keep that many going so yes even though for a while we will have new jobs coming in eventually it will balance out to about what we have now. Who survives is anyones guess but if this time next year all these places are open I'll eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I wouldn't risk my own money, but I'm glad someone else will risk theirs :D

The way I see it, its survival of the fittest. The best bars will survive. Due to the crash in property prices/rents the new places will have seriously lower overheads, and the more competition allows for lower profits and prevents people from profiteering.

Pubs are not just in competition with each other, they are in competition with the off-licences too. The new lower prices (either due to the recession, or fall of Tweedy) in places like Masons make it more attractive to drink out than at home. Home drinking will never have the same atmosphere.

I remember 10 years ago, by 21.30 it would be busy on a Saturday night, but not any more. The new lower prices should get people to come into town early again.

Waterford is becoming a really great place to go out. Places know they have to offer something extra, like a band, to get people in the door, and people aren't being ripped off any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Balls to all the begrudery! Waterford's nightlife is begining to re-appear once again. Last seen alive & kicking towards the end of the '90s. Rather than focus on the negatives why can't we all accentuate the positive? Even the most optimistic of people would have struggled to believe a few months back that Rubys would re-open with a full make over. Ditto Muldoon. And Ten!

2008: ESCAPE? DEADLY BOI!!

2009: TWISTER VICKS? WHY IS IT SO QUIET IN HERE!?

2010: EVERYTHING IS CLOSING DOWN WE HAVE NOTHING GOOD

2011: TWO NEW NIGHTCLUBS, THEY WONT HAVE A CLUE, BURN THE OUTSIDERS

2018: These robotic barmen are feckin brilliant!

Balls to all the begrudery! Waterford's nightlife is begining to re-appear once again. Last seen alive & kicking towards the end of the '90s. Rather than focus on the negatives why can't we all accentuate the positive? Even the most optimistic of people would have struggled to believe a few months back that Rubys would re-open with a full make over. Ditto Muldoon. And Ten!

Fair point, and like that's been mentioned the "best" ones will be left standing. Just hope the front Lounge stays on as I really like it. 'twas mobbed last weekend so I'd say it'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Do people think there is much scope for a live music venue in the heart of the late bars/night clubs themselves, but the focus being mainly on original bands and headline type acts such as the coronas, bell x1, o emperor and the likes???

Its something I see lacking, I enjoy going out to listen to a good cover band, but I would also like to have the option of going to a dedicated venue for waterford and the surrounding areas up and coming bands to play their own music, we do have some fantastically talented bands in the region.

Im not sure if it would be feasible, something that could be looked into though i think

Personally, I'm more into cover bands as I wouldn't be into music enough to go see the likes of the Coronas and so on. I have simple tastes in terms of music and bar a few exceptions the kinda songs I'd listen to out would be fairly mainstream.

Having said that, I'd be interested to see would there be a Market for such a place but if you believ the rumors isn't what was formerly oxygen/muldoons going to attract those kind of bands?

• Advertisement

2008: ESCAPE? DEADLY BOI!!

2009: TWISTER VICKS? WHY IS IT SO QUIET IN HERE!?

2010: EVERYTHING IS CLOSING DOWN WE HAVE NOTHING GOOD

2011: TWO NEW NIGHTCLUBS, THEY WONT HAVE A CLUE, BURN THE OUTSIDERS

2018: These robotic barmen are feckin brilliant!

Actually if I had 2million I would really embrace technology. For example, why not get your bottle of beer from a vending machine in a pub? If there is a liability issue one person could sell the tokens, but save time by not pouring out the beer. One person could do the job of 2 or 3 people.
    As for pints, we can get coffee from a machine, why not Carlsberg?

I really think that you could get an engineer to design a pub, and it would need half the staff.

I wonder what sort of atmosphere it would have though. They could use the staff savings on nicer seats or better band or something.

I have said a few times (although like you mention Dayshah it could kill atmosphere) but the kind of setup they have at busy concerts like a system when you go to the bar get your drink and then go off would be very handy in busy pubs. Half the time spent getting a drink in say masons is getting a spot in between people sitting at the bar ya know?

I have said a few times (although like you mention Dayshah it could kill atmosphere) but the kind of setup they have at busy concerts like a system when you go to the bar get your drink and then go off would be very handy in busy pubs. Half the time spent getting a drink in say masons is getting a spot in between people sitting at the bar ya know?

Yeah, they could have the beer poured already too, like in some concerts or burgers at McDonalds.

I wouldn't do it for your traditional Irish pub, but maybe for rush hour in Masons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Personally, I'm more into cover bands as I wouldn't be into music enough to go see the likes of the Coronas and so on. I have simple tastes in terms of music and bar a few exceptions the kinda songs I'd listen to out would be fairly mainstream.

Having said that, I'd be interested to see would there be a Market for such a place but if you believ the rumors isn't what was formerly oxygen/muldoons going to attract those kind of bands?

Not exactly from what I have heard, a more american stlye music bar is what I have heard....

Who knows though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

End of rant

Can’t even answer a simple question, its wasn’t a dig at you, grow the f***k up and sort the attitude problem, I’m entitled to my opinion as everyone else is on here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I've always thought there shouldn't be seats at the bar in places like this. You need them for pubs alright but not the likes of Mason's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

kryogen wrote: »
    Its something I see lacking, I enjoy going out to listen to a good cover band, but I would also like to have the option of going to a dedicated venue for waterford and the surrounding areas up and coming bands to play their own music, we do have some fantastically talented bands in the region.

Im not sure if it would be feasible, something that could be looked into though i think

I don't know if anyone here reads the Bring on the bands article in the Encore section of the Munster, but time and time again this issue is raised by the bands featured. There are only 2 places in Waterford that are doing anything for local music - The Front Lounge and Murphy's. O Emperor bit the bullet and left Waterford but there are still other great bands here like Propeller Palms and Kodakid amongst many others who have built up a great following thanks to these 2 venues.
    dayshah wrote: »
    Actually if I had 2million I would really embrace technology. For example, why not get your bottle of beer from a vending machine in a pub? If there is a liability issue one person could sell the tokens, but save time by not pouring out the beer. One person could do the job of 2 or 3 people.
    As for pints, we can get coffee from a machine, why not Carlsberg?

I really think that you could get an engineer to design a pub, and it would need half the staff.

I wonder what sort of atmosphere it would have though. They could use the staff savings on nicer seats or better band or something.

It's only a matter of time to be honest. I was in a club in Dublin that sold various bottles beers and alcopops from vending machines. I think some bar staff will always be required (thankfully!). I mean does anyone ever use the self-service taps in the Kazbar? It seems like more of a gimmick to me.

Adyx wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time to be honest. I was in a club in Dublin that sold various bottles beers and alcopops from vending machines. I think some bar staff will always be required (thankfully!). I mean does anyone ever use the self-service taps in the Kazbar? It seems like more of a gimmick to me.

Self service taps?

Obviously I've never used them if I don't know what they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Self service taps?

Obviously I've never used them if I don't know what they are!

There's 2 tables in the Kazbar with a Guinness tap and Carlsberg tap in them. I can't remember exactly how it works but you have to use a credit/debit card and basically you just help yourself and you're automatically charged.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    There's 2 tables in the Kazbar with a Guinness tap and Carlsberg tap in them. I can't remember exactly how it works but you have to use a credit/debit card and basically you just help yourself and you're automatically charged.

Sounds like a cool gimmick alright. Maybe people wouldn't be so quick to do it with Guinness if they're not used to pulling pints. And maybe it's not so clear how it works so nobody bothers!

On another point I saw the Dinn Rí advertising live music in The Woodman every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 22:30. Where does the band set up in there?

Advertisement