Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Adyx wrote: »
    There's 2 tables in the Kazbar with a Guinness tap and Carlsberg tap in them. I can't remember exactly how it works but you have to use a credit/debit card and basically you just help yourself and you're automatically charged.

I suppose the problem with them is I don't know how to use them and have always been too embarrassed to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally Posted by :
    MASSIVE NEWS

HI EVERYONE,

FANTASTIC NEW NIGHTCLUB OPENING IN WATERFORD CITY SOON.

IT'S GONNA BRING A BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO TOWN!!!

KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN AS ALL WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY.

That was posted on kitty kiernans Facebook almost a year a go. Is that owner behind the new place going by Ten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've retired from the Waterford nightlife industry so I'm clueless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

I've retired from the Waterford nightlife industry so I'm clueless!

Wexford connection in there anyway - 4 people in on it , 3 fellas and one woman. I was up talking to the woman the other day thats in on it :)
    Going to be strictly over 21's, The pub part (used to be Electric Avenue now going to be called Shortts Bar) is going to be running 7 days a week and possibly something along the way of front lounge/woodman style with one bar inside - hoping to be open next weekend but looking unlikely I'd reckon.
    The nightclub is going to be called "Crystal Nightclub" and will start off running 2 nights a week with 3 bars including one cocktail bar.
    To be honest I reckon it will work if they are going to stick to the strictly over 21's and looks like it will be a nice change to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Wexford connection in there anyway - 4 people in on it , 3 fellas and one woman. I was up talking to the woman the other day thats in on it :)
    Going to be strictly over 21's, The pub part (used to be Electric Avenue now going to be called Shortts Bar) is going to be running 7 days a week and possibly something along the way of front lounge/woodman style with one bar inside - hoping to be open next weekend but looking unlikely I'd reckon.
    The nightclub is going to be called "Crystal Nightclub" and will start off running 2 nights a week with 3 bars including one cocktail bar.
    To be honest I reckon it will work if they are going to stick to the strictly over 21's and looks like it will be a nice change to the town.

That sounds brilliant! I've pretty much abandoned the Forum at this stage so if they could get in the same kinda crowd it could really take off, especially with it being over 21's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Can’t even answer a simple question, its wasn’t a dig at you, grow the f***k up and sort the attitude problem, I’m entitled to my opinion as everyone else is on here

I have given my opinion too and glad i did .. Your well able to slag off but cant take it the other way it seems . I am fully entitled to mine here also :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Was really hoping it would pass without intervention but seriously lads. Lets take the fistycuffs to PM please. Cmon, no need to get heated. How many times do we need to ask?

Any replies to each other from this post onwards, please do so via PM and stop derailing the thread further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Over 21s wont stick at all.. the majority of people who go out in Waterford to nightclubs are 18-25ish, with the majority being under 21.

Daysha wrote: »
    That sounds brilliant! I've pretty much abandoned the Forum at this stage so if they could get in the same kinda crowd it could really take off, especially with it being over 21's.

Surely a lot of forum people are under 21?

I don't think its necessary to have a strict over 21 policy to get an older crowd, it will just deter some customers.

The music will attract the age group. Eg, if a place plays some Blur and Manic Street Preachers in their set it will attract an older crowd as the younger people wont know who the Manic Street Preachers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dayshah wrote: »
    Surely a lot of forum people are under 21?

I don't think its necessary to have a strict over 21 policy to get an older crowd, it will just deter some customers.

The music will attract the age group. Eg, if a place plays some Blur and Manic Street Preachers in their set it will attract an older crowd as the younger people wont know who the Manic Street Preachers are.

Yeah completely agree with that. The music and atmosphere of a venue will determine the age of people going there. Hopefully it works out for them. Nice to have another alternative there although, as others said, it will surely mean somewhere else going to the wall if this place does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Apparently I have to go to the Foundry tonight :(
    If you hear reports of mass murder just ignore it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Apparently I have to go to the Foundry tonight :(
    If you hear reports of mass murder just ignore it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I wish I had someone to be whipped by :pac:
    I just found out last night that all my friends are going to the foundry tonight cause whoevers bday it is picked it....the bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Waterford has got an abundance of fantastic original bands, kept somewhat in the dark due to the lack of venues to play therefore lack of publicity. someone mentioned murphys and the front lounge and they are great for gigs, the forum also do some of the more established local bands. sals on the quay in particular are doing a great job in giving young bands their first gigs.
    The local music scene could really take off if people supported it, the talent is there. The best night out ive had all year was to see fighting spiders in the front lounge there a few weeks back, and i often go to murphys to see bands such as chimpanbee, propellor palms, swampstompers and renoir's reflection.
    The underage scene used to be great as well when i was playing in bands at the age of 16, but ive watched some talented musicians grow tired of the lack of prospects and fall into the club scene like everyone else.

i often dream of winning the euromillions and opening up the bowery as a live music event where profits and stuff would mean nothing, i could just shower the people of waterford with local talent and encourage musicians to get it going again...

sigh... if only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_gpcKzQD4 shane barry and co.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hOtGSLNLFM fighting spiders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpLDrYoXLnI floyd soul and the wolf

just some of what we have to offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Over 21s wont stick at all.. the majority of people who go out in Waterford to nightclubs are 18-25ish, with the majority being under 21.

Maybe this is because there isn't a strict over 21's policy anywhere?

kkdela6 wrote: »
    Waterford has got an abundance of fantastic original bands, kept somewhat in the dark due to the lack of venues to play therefore lack of publicity.

That just gave me an idea. How about a thread of Waterford music videos?

I'll start it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

As Noel said there just isnt enough over 21's out to enforce it, maybe on a Saturday, time will tell:)

I dunno.. It just doesn't seem viable for Waterford. I can see how over 21 clubs work in big cities like Dublin, but in reality night clubs are aimed at the younger aged group, so really it's unrealistic to have an over 21s club.

I don't mean that in a patronising way, but when you think of "night club", you instantly think of chart/pop/rnb music which most people over the age of 21 hate the sound of.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I dunno.. It just doesn't seem viable for Waterford. I can see how over 21 clubs work in big cities like Dublin, but in reality night clubs are aimed at the younger aged group, so really it's unrealistic to have an over 21s club.

I don't mean that in a patronising way, but when you think of "night club", you instantly think of chart/pop/rnb music which most people over the age of 21 hate the sound of.

Harveys has a more over 21ish crowd. Cocktail bar and no young people? i'd be in Heaven :)

ziedth wrote: »
    Harveys has a more over 21ish crowd. Cocktail bar and no young people? i'd be in Heaven :)

Yeah but Harveys isn't really a night club, more-so a late-bar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Anyone know when the new club is goin to be opened? was never in the club 10!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

yoyo83 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new club is goin to be opened? was never in the club 10!

It was actually pretty good for a while on a student night but I think the design of the place in general is fairly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

ziedth wrote: »
    It was actually pretty good for a while on a student night but I think the design of the place in general is fairly poor.

walked past it the other day and looked a bit dull from what i can see...oskars will be up and running soon aswell

The current nightlife in Waterford has been described by a man I respect as a "race to the bottom". I was wondering which venue would win that race. Step forward Harveys - €30 entry - open bar for the night.

Worst idea I've ever heard.

The current nightlife in Waterford has been described by a man I respect as a "race to the bottom". I was wondering which venue would win that race. Step forward Harveys - €30 entry - open bar for the night.

When's that happening? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I was wondering when someone would come along with an idea like this, personally for me I think its fantastic but it will lead to trouble amongst the general populous in Ireland. People will want their moneys worth, there will be blood

It's a bad idea because you have to tag it with so many terms and conditions. Otherwise - chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

at the same time, it might get people out earlier, thats one massive problem for pubs these days, people are just comin in too feckin late, if ur payin 30 euro you will want your moneys worth so you'll go in earlier, but then again with this deal comin in earier doesnt work well for the pub.
    So I dunno, wheres the info on this deal, I quiet like the idea of paying 30 euro in at around 8/9 whenever and just sippen on beers for the night, I assume it doesnt start until 10 or 11?

That will never ever work. It couldn't possibly pay them to make it a real "open bar" and people won't stand for the obvious T&C's they gonna do.

Then mrs ziedth rarely drinks so is she gonna pay €30 too?

If it was free vodka and cokes from 12am till half 2 then I'm all for it but something tells me it won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The current nightlife in Waterford has been described by a man I respect as a "race to the bottom".

I think I used that very phrase a while back, so thank you :p.

I wonder how open bars will sit with MEAS, the industry watch dog. I'm sure their competitors would make a complaint.

Advertisement