Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

anymore wrote: »
    Well I understand the point you are making but as a Cork person, I would prefer to think that the Cork site was at least as good as other Irish ones and the fact they cant even manage a decent route map is a bit embarassing :eek:.
    The reality is that there is lots of competition out there now for marathon runners and we are spolied for choice. So organisers need to do all they can to attract runners. And, to be honest, for the price they are charging, a decent site is a minimum.

I'm a great Cork loyalist, my favourite part of the world. Really though I think a race should speak for itself. I'd never be attracted to an event by a website - sure this one probably needs a revamp. If you saw two races priced at €50 would you go for the one with the best website? It's way down my list of criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    mickhen wrote: »
    Any ideas on the numbers entered for the full. I have a feeling numbers could be down on last year

Overall I'd say numbers will be up but I'd say most people will be doing the half-marathon and not the full one. I hope they have the relay points better marshaled this year as its no fun running through a crowded relay point were you can barely keep running without been blocked by people waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 stars (average)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    If you saw two races priced at €50 would you go for the one with the best website?
    all things being equal,a proper website would give the impression of a more professional event organiser and point to a better organised event,although this is not alwaysthe case....edit..i dont go for fancy websites and have done cork last year and found it to be very well organised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I'm a great Cork loyalist, my favourite part of the world. Really though I think a race should speak for itself. I'd never be attracted to an event by a website - sure this one probably needs a revamp. If you saw two races priced at €50 would you go for the one with the best website? It's way down my list of criteria.
    One of the things that enticed me to run my first marathon , which was Dingle, was the website. I had done all my running until then on my own and was quite uncertain of running a marathon. I know Dingle fairly well and the site was definitely a very good representation of the area and I looked at it a good few times before deciding to enter. So for me a novice, the presentation of the site was a factor. So as to your question, if i had to choose between two runs in areas I was not familiar with, I would be influenced to some extent by the sites. I ran a marathon in a town in Holland in feb that I had never heard of before and again i visted the site a few times before entering. The truth is i would be unlikely to have run marathons at all if it were not access to information on them on the web. Marketing sells and poor marketing sells less effectively.
    But to each thier own. I suppose the main point I am making is that there is so many different marathons to choose from now, that organisers have to compete with one another for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    Maybe people are put off by the poor quality of the marathon site; of the marathons I have run, this is by far the poorest quality site without even a proper map. They should have had a look at the Dingle site etc.

would have to agree.... I registered myself mths ago and thought it was bad.

Registered a work relay team on Wednesday and had to go through the process twice! It was pretty horrific.

It's not great but, as the old saying goes, never judge a race by its website.

Agree with that - I'm fond of CCM.
    Overall I'd say numbers will be up but I'd say most people will be doing the half-marathon and not the full one. I hope they have the relay points better marshaled this year as its no fun running through a crowded relay point were you can barely keep running without been blocked by people waiting.

and people randomly stopping to hand over the wristband with a bit of a chat!

Think the first changeover is the worst and saw a good few near misses there last year.

The second is not too bad as the relay starts to thin out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Just logged on to try to register for the half and it's sold out!!! Still entries for the relay and the full. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Blueskye wrote: »
    Just logged on to try to register for the half and it's sold out!!! Still entries for the relay and the full. Very annoying.

They put it up on the site around the end of March that they were capping it at 1,000 and once they did that, it sold out fairly fast.

4 stars (good)
    Blueskye wrote: »

We'll see you on the full one then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    Just curious but is the first half of the marathon the same route as the half marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Almost! The first half mile is on the Marathon course - as far as Blackrock Castle, where the Mar breaks right, along the Lakelands walkway, while the HM continues on the route the Marathon took up to last year.

The two courses merge again on the Marina, at the 15 M/1.8x M mark

The HM start is due around 10:30/11:00am, with the Mar starting at 8:30/9:00. I should have more info on this tomorrow.

The reason for the late start is to ensure that the bulk of the Mar people are past the choke/merge points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Condo131 wrote: »
    with the Mar starting at 8:30/9:00. I should have more info on this tomorrow.

Thanks. I was sure the marathon was due to start at 8:30 can't remember where I read it. If you look at the FAQs on the site it says the marathon starts at 9:00 (2010, but who reads the year):confused:.

outforarun wrote: »
    Thanks. I was sure the marathon was due to start at 8:30 can't remember where I read it. If you look at the FAQs on the site it says the marathon starts at 9:00 (2010, but who reads the year):confused:.
    You are right, it was supposed to be 8.30 but as far as i am aware it has been changed back to 9.00 again. Best to keep a watch out, to be sure , to be sure !:D Cork people are fierce indecisive, like !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    I had my hotel booked for Sunday night but just re-booked it there to include Monday too. Where's the beers at?:D:D

3 stars (average)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    I had my hotel booked for Sunday night but just re-booked it there to include Monday too. Where's the beers at?:D:D

Sure tis a while off for deciding pubs yet but as you offered, i'll be having a pint:)

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sure tis a while off for deciding pubs yet but as you offered, i'll be having a pint:)
    This reminds me to ask, why are some marathons run on a bank holiday monday and not on the sunday ? I would have thought it would have benefited people travelling to the venue and to local businesses to have the run on the sunday :confused:

Bank Holidays? Several reasons:

1. As most people are off and less businesses are open, people sleep in and there's less traffic around. Traffic on Sundays can sometimes be as busy as a week-day.
    2. As most people are off, there are more people available to volunteer/officiate.
    3. More (potential) spectators around.

Those are the main ones. Probably lots of other reasons - take your pick!

Bank Holidays? Several reasons:

1. As most people are off and less businesses are open, people sleep in and there's less traffic around. Traffic on Sundays can sometimes be as busy as a week-day.
    2. As most people are off, there are more people available to volunteer/officiate.
    3. More (potential) spectators around.

Those are the main ones. Probably lots of other reasons - take your pick!
    If I were a hotel/pub/B&B owner,I think I would want the event on a sun to encourage people to stay two days/nights. The Dingle marathon and Clonakilty marathons are both held on a saturday and as these towns are busier on a saturday than on a sunday, that would seem to deal with the traffic issue. In general traffic on sundays is pretty much the same as on bank hol mondays in most places i imagine.
    The same apllies, I imagine, for people being off and available to officiate. Indeed I imagine volunteers might prefer a sun run to allow then to go out on Sun night for drinks and have the mon off for ' recovery'.
    Cant see why there would be more spectators on bank hol mon than on sun.

Just occurs to me, that running it on Sun also would allow for recovery on bank hol monday before back to work on tues.

Sat/Sun is fine for small towns like Clon or Dingle. For the Cork & Dublin, Marathons, all roads on the route are closed to traffic, so it is a lot harder to manage. You need to put on a race directors hat when looking at these things.

You make lots of valid points for Sat & Sunday, but I can't imagine how Cork or Dublin could be run on either day, without absolute chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickhen

Any idea what drinks are been used this year? Could do with getting myself used to which everone it is

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

4 stars (good)
    Alsoare there gels available on the course

Sat/Sun is fine for small towns like Clon or Dingle. For the Cork & Dublin, Marathons, all roads on the route are closed to traffic, so it is a lot harder to manage. You need to put on a race directors hat when looking at these things.

You make lots of valid points for Sat & Sunday, but I can't imagine how Cork or Dublin could be run on either day, without absolute chaos.
    I suppose there might be an issue with having some City employees working both Sun and Mon. Anyway, I was just curious, it is probably part tradition as well. I'll be there regardless of the day.

Marathon & Relay start is 09:00
    Half-Marathon Start is 11:30

3 stars (average)
    Re: the Monday event - Would it also have something to do with the fact that if there was a GAA match on in Paric Ui C, the roads would have to kept open and they couldn't close streets/the tunnel off?

Regarding the start times, i thought they wanted the marathon winner to be first over the line. Why then have they put the relay at the same time as the relay will be first over the line? Wasn't that the big query from last year IIRC?

Re: the Monday event - Would it also have something to do with the fact that if there was a GAA match on in Paric Ui C, the roads would have to kept open and they couldn't close streets/the tunnel off?
    Things like that clearly have a strong bearing on the day. For instance, in Dublin, you'd have to be stark raving mad to even consider having the DCM on All Ireland day. Oth, if you're planning an event in a small town, you'd also want to avoid other traffic generating events.
    Regarding the start times, i thought they wanted the marathon winner to be first over the line. Why then have they put the relay at the same time as the relay will be first over the line? Wasn't that the big query from last year IIRC?
    They'd still like that to happen, but it's unlikely. The problem with separate marathon and Relay starts is that the relay runners would have to run through the entire marathon field. That's something that you can't plan for, as there are so many diverse paces in both fields.

A top marathon runner in the field should be able to beat any of the relay teams, given the relay winning times to date. Cork is, imho, a very fast course, so, if weather were good, I reckon that a top field with a depth of quality runners, could go close/better than Dublin. To build a field like that, you need a more attractive prize fund than Cork has AND also a track record of good winning times.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Marathon & Relay start is 09:00
    Half-Marathon Start is 11:30

Hopefully I get my change, I contacted Gina about dropping from the full to the half, as this would allow me to get the camera out for the full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    On the Monday v Sunday debate. There are other events on that weekend in Cork and the Monday is the best. The ocean to city race for example is dependant on the tides. Food markets and vintage runs etc

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    On the Monday v Sunday debate. There are other events on that weekend in Cork and the Monday is the best. The ocean to city race for example is dependant on the tides. Food markets and vintage runs etc
    Dont the tides rise and fall every day ?:confused:

4 stars (good)
    Dont the tides rise and fall every day ?:confused:

The tides follow the moon (for example) and don't happen at the same time every day. A kayak race needs to take this into account for starting at midnight isn't as safe as starting at midday.

The tides follow the moon (for example) and don't happen at the same time every day. A kayak race needs to take this into account for starting at midnight isn't as safe as starting at midday.
    Jaysus, do we need kayaks for the Cork marathon ?:D:D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    We could have done with the kayaks in last years Cork Marathon...:D

4 stars (good)
    No kayak needed but if you want to cross "codes" the kayak and currach race is on Saturday this year

We could have done with the kayaks in last years Cork Marathon...:D
    I felt that way last night doing a run at the ' farm' ; two ducks had left the river and were waddling around the pitches !:)

4 stars (good)
    I hope that isn't an omen for this years race..we've had the sun, then the rain..what next?:confused:

No kayak needed but if you want to cross "codes" the kayak and currach race is on Saturday this year
    As it happens, i am kinda interested in trying triathalons or adventure races to give my feet a break from all running. Know where I can get involved in kayaking in or near Cork ?

4 stars (good)
    As it happens, i am kinda interested in trying triathalons or adventure races to give my feet a break from all running. Know where I can get involved in kayaking in or near Cork ?

Come over to the canoeing forum for a chat. :-)
    But www.phoenixkayakclub.com if your in the city

Come over to the canoeing forum for a chat. :-)
    But www.phoenixkayakclub.com if your in the city
    Brilliant, thanks a million, i am going on to site now :)

3 stars (average)
    Cork Marathon and Half Marathon routes from the Running in Cork website

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2596783

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/33537120

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Anybody know the best place to park close to start/finish coming in from the Tipp/Dublin direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Anybody know the best place to park close to start/finish coming in from the Tipp/Dublin direction?

If you arrive in good time (8:00am) you should get free (as it is a Bank Holiday) street parking within the vicinity of the City Hall (race HQ). Certainly, last year, there was ample parking along the quays either side of the City Hall. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

mickhen wrote: »
    Any ideas on the numbers entered for the full. I have a feeling numbers could be down on last year

Organisers say around 1600 entries which is on a par with last year. Entry closing date May 16th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

3 stars (average)

Hi sideswipe, If you come in to the city along the quays, intead of turning left towards the city hall, at the end of Horgan's quay take the right turn (Railway Street) ,just before the first bridge. There is plenty of parking here, which will then give you a free run (get it?:D), outta the city once your finished.
    If you miss this turn, just go straight on , turn right at the traffic lights( patricks bridge on your left), go along MacCurtain street, thru the lights, then take the right fork before the train station. All parking around here.
    Google MacCurtain Street , and you'll see it straight away(Alfred Street is where I would park).
    Hope I didn't confuse you, ( or myself!!:confused:).
    W.

4 stars (good)

Just a bit of advice from last year as I was coming from tipp...make sure you come about half an hour before they say their closing the roads...I was on time last year when I hit the roundabout at the tunnel to come off the motorway and head in by the quay but they had it shut early...was instructed to head back out the motorway to glamire and come in that way, what a nightmare..went around that way but still had to beg cops at a road to let me through or I'd miss it which far play to him he did. There is a lot of parking around the quay, park there and walk across the bridge, its only a 5min walk and makes it fair easy to get out after the race. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    With the last LSR coming up this weekend its a last chance to test out sports drink.
    Any word on the brand they'll have this year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Spotted this morning the CCM banners being put up on the lamp posts on Grand Parade when I was cycling to work, not too long to wait now!

3 stars (average)
    I just rang the lovely Gina (hope your reading this :D ) and despite the fact I only want to drop down to the half from the full I'm still in 17th on the list for getting a spot.
    So I reckon 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Looks like ill be pacing 3.30 in this years ccm. All aboards the 3.30 trin tickets are 50 euro:D
    Choo choo

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Looks like ill be pacing 3.30 in this years ccm. All aboards the 3.30 trin tickets are 50 euro:D
    Choo choo

Worth every penny if you can get me to the finish line on time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Choo choo
    Great to see that there will be pacers again this year. I might join you at the start line.

Will there also be a 3:45 pacer? I have to decide between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)
    Rasb wrote: »
    Great to see that there will be pacers again this year. I might join you at the start line.

Will there also be a 3:45 pacer? I have to decide between the two.

Deciding between 3:45 and 3:30? Is that wise? thats a big gap in times, if you're not able for 3:30 don't go near those pacers you could risk not getting a 3:45 if you do.

Advertisement