Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Just got off the phone with Cork HQ and they're 90% that they'll be supplying Lucozade Sport, in cups to avoid waste but anyone who requests a bottle to carry should be accomodated. I look forward to arguing my case after 22 miles with some 14 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    ah the good old lucozade sport...at least i'll know it'll agree with the digestive system..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Just looking to find an elevation profile for Cork without much success, came across a link on the site for Map My Run but the linky no worky, anybody know if its a hilly route? How does it compare to Dublin for hills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Just looking to find an elevation profile for Cork without much success, came across a link on the site for Map My Run but the linky no worky, anybody know if its a hilly route? How does it compare to Dublin for hills?

You can see it here (first link). While the map makes it look like a severe climb from the 25k mark- it is actually only 20 metres of rise spread over 7km. The overall elevation gain in the course is 80m, Dublin i about twice that if I remember correctly.
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Cork Marathon and Half Marathon routes from the Running in Cork website

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2596783

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/33537120

3 stars (average)
    Thanks for that, miles 16 to 20 looks like they could to the trickiest, esp if it a hot one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

From one of my posts last year - NB: Many of the mile marks have changed by up to 60 metres (course is the same as last year, but new control measures put in place):

A Turn by Turn and Relay leg by leg photo preview of the route

Relay Leg 1 - Start to Silversprings (5.5) A few photos missing on leg 1, and more between the leg 1/2 changeover and the Tunnel.

Relay Leg 2 - Silversprings (5.5) to Mahon (10.75) Largely finished - a photo or two missing

Relay Leg 3 - Mahon (10.75) to Victoria Road (16.5)

Relay Leg 4 - Victoria Road (16.5) to Melbourn (21.75 ) Unfinished - details to be added.

Relay Leg 5 - from Melbourn (21.75) to the finish

Don't forget! C Team - Cancer Survivors - of which I am a member - is looking for help and sponsorship! This is a team comprising solely of Cancer Survivors.

Our charity links: Cork ARC and The Irish Cancer Society Alternatively go to mycharity.ie, click on Sponsor a Friend and enter the word 'Survivor' – that’ll bring up the same links.Pass it on please!!

Thanks for that, miles 16 to 20 looks like they could to the trickiest, esp if it a hot one.
    Yes and No. Imho, it is the toughest in terms of hills/drags, but overall the course is easier than Dublin.

17 miles: short deceptive drag on the South Link - important to stay calm here, especially if you've just started on the 4th relay leg. Shouldn't be too much of an issue for the marathoners, who will be running more steadily.

17.75 miles: Short sharp rise (approx. 60 metres) rise onto overpass on South Douglas Road.

20.5 Miles: Another Short sharp rise (approx. 60 metres) rise onto Wilton Road.

Everything else is, at worst, a long drag.

The only two other climbs on the course are the climb out of the Jack lynch Tunnel at approx. 7.65 miles and the slip road up to Mahon Point at approx. 8.65 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    I look forward to arguing my case after 22 miles with some 14 year old!

I thought that happened in the Furry Glen :D;)

3 stars (average)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I thought that happened in the Furry Glen :D;)

Which of us is dating outside of our age category???;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    ok all you serious runners are guna think this is a stupid question, but im happy enough to hide behind my forum name and ask it anyway.
    Are there portable toilets around the course?
    ive been having stomach issues lately and dont fancy running for the bush during the race with 2000 other people around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

elnino23 wrote: »
    ok all you serious runners are guna think this is a stupid question, but im happy enough to hide behind my forum name and ask it anyway.
    ive been having stomach issues lately and dont fancy running for the bush during the race with 2000 other people around
    No doubt there will be - remember to bring some toilet paper just in case it runs out.

If you've a persistent problem, then you need to seek professional medical advice - see your G.P. You've had problem for a while and appear to suspect that it may last another two weeks. Get seen to NOW!

You need to be hydrating yourself pretty well from now on - yet, from what you're saying, you already have something which will affect your performance AND, depending on its severity AND the weather on the day, and which may also affect your health.

Read para. 1 again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Toilets normally at each relay changeover point so approx every 5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Bump - great info here, even for the relay. And will defo be supporting a very worthy cause

Condo131 wrote: »
    From one of my posts last year - NB: Many of the mile marks have changed by up to 60 metres (course is the same as last year, but new control measures put in place):

A Turn by Turn and Relay leg by leg photo preview of the route

Relay Leg 1 - Start to Silversprings (5.5) A few photos missing on leg 1, and more between the leg 1/2 changeover and the Tunnel.

Relay Leg 2 - Silversprings (5.5) to Mahon (10.75) Largely finished - a photo or two missing

Relay Leg 3 - Mahon (10.75) to Victoria Road (16.5)

Relay Leg 4 - Victoria Road (16.5) to Melbourn (21.75 ) Unfinished - details to be added.

Relay Leg 5 - from Melbourn (21.75) to the finish

Don't forget! C Team - Cancer Survivors - of which I am a member - is looking for help and sponsorship! This is a team comprising solely of Cancer Survivors.

Our charity links: Cork ARC and The Irish Cancer Society Alternatively go to mycharity.ie, click on Sponsor a Friend and enter the word 'Survivor' – that’ll bring up the same links.Pass it on please!!

3 stars (average)
    Having some trouble getting to Cork on the Sunday for registration, is it possible to have a 3rd party attend the registration on your behalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Having some trouble getting to Cork on the Sunday for registration, is it possible to have a 3rd party attend the registration on your behalf?

See post #173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    Which of us is dating outside of our age category???;)

I know, mad isn't it, I never thought I'd be seeing anyone over 25 ;)

3 stars (average)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I know, mad isn't it, I never thought I'd be seeing anyone over 25 ;)

Must be time for a trade in then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Hi all,
    Going to be my first marathon on the 6th (hopefully!). Was thinking about going to the physio to get a light rub on the legs. Would the Monday before the big day be too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    Dukie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Going to be my first marathon on the 6th (hopefully!). Was thinking about going to the physio to get a light rub on the legs. Would the Monday before the big day be too late?

A week in advance is plenty early - I'm going for a rub on Wednesday. If you haven't had one before and it ends up being a little sorer than expected there will be plenty of time for the soreness to subside.

Enjoy your 1st marathon and remember no matter what time you do it will be a PB!

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    +1 on the above and make sure you enjoy it, every marathon after your first is about time!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    Just checked out the long range forecasts for Monday 6th, and depening on who you believe, it will be warm (23 degrees) and raining, or not so warm (17 degrees) and dry.

Dunno which one I'd rather.

3 stars (average)
    Just checked out the long range forecasts for Monday 6th, and depening on who you believe, it will be warm (23 degrees) and raining, or not so warm (17 degrees) and dry.

Dunno which one I'd rather.
    Anything but the wind of the last few days please!!!

Mind you the weather has been quite cool of late and a jump to the mid to low 20's would be a bit of a shock to the system.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Low to mid 20s and rain would be horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    I only believe the Norwegians when it comes to long term forecasts and so far it only goes up to the Sat :)

A temp over 20 with rain sounds like running in a shower!

screenshotsu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    I only believe the Norwegians when it comes to long term forecasts and so far it only goes up to the Sat :)

There are a few sites that claim to be able to go as far as two weeks ahead (accuweather/myforecast.com)
    They are not the most reliable, but they are both predicting warm (17+) days.

But yes, that norwegian site is good. will be monitoring them very closely next week.

Our own M.T. Cranium over in the weather forum is predicting a warming trend for the first week in June too. This could get interesting. :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Our own M.T. Cranium over in the weather forum is predicting a warming trend for the first week in June too. This could get interesting. :pac:
    There's a weather forum?:confused:

There's a weather forum?:confused:

Here :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Rain I don't mind, even if its warm I hope to finish before the temps really get high but dear god I'm so sick of wind. Its not fun running and its certainly not fun cycling in it!

I'm trying to work out the average pace I need in order to reach my "rough" targeted time, there's a website I've seen that allows people to work out anyone know the URL?

Advertisement