Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Hi All

Half marathon rookie, just wondering is every km/mile marked out on the half marathon route?

Thanks

Juansheet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

juansheet wrote: »
    .... just wondering is every km/mile marked out on the half marathon route?
    No. For the Half Marathon, each mile is marked.

The Marathon has each mile marked, plus the half- marathon mark, plus every 5k.

Condo(r)131 - Official course measurer

Note: I understand that they are using different coloured Mile Markers for the separate races, however it should be obvious anyway,e.g. the HM 2 Mile mark is approx. 300m after the Mar 15M mark, the HM 3M is approx. 300m after the Mar 16M, etc. Confusing??? - that's why both aren't marked in K's all the way - they'd be too hard to keep track of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Note: I understand that they are using different coloured Mile Markers for the separate races, however it should be obvious anyway,e.g. the HM 2 Mile mark is approx. 300m after the Mar 15M mark, the HM 3M is approx. 300m after the Mar 16M, etc. Confusing??? - that's why both aren't marked in K's all the way - they'd be too hard to keep track of!

I think most runners will be reasonable aware if they have just covered 2 miles or 15 miles, so I 'd say we'll be ok.

I think most runners will be reasonable aware if they have just covered 2 miles or 15 miles, so I 'd say we'll be ok.
    Probably!.....However I never take anything for granted anymore......anyway it drove me around the twist while we were measuring!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

Deciding between 3:45 and 3:30? Is that wise? thats a big gap in times, if you're not able for 3:30 don't go near those pacers you could risk not getting a 3:45 if you do.

planning to wait and see how the my long runs go over the next week or so before deciding. Based on current LSR and 8 mile pace runs I can do under 3:45 but not so confident about hitting 3:30.

Am i right in thinking that the pacers are expected to keep a steady pace and equal splits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Rasb wrote: »
    planning to wait and see how the my long runs go over the next week or so before deciding. Based on current LSR and 8 mile pace runs I can do under 3:45 but not so confident about hitting 3:30.

Am i right in thinking that the pacers are expected to keep a steady pace and equal splits?
    Yeah, most miles will be just below 8 min miles for 3.30..

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    Rasb wrote: »

Just to add my limited experience to assist your decision. Although advised to add 15 mins to my expectations I felt reasonably confident about 3:30 in my first marathon in Dublin 2010 but after 18 or 19 miles with the pacers I started to struggle. Had to ease off big time and then my heart sank as the 3:45 lads passed me out inside the last mile. Finished in 3:47 and in hindsight would have had a nicer experience had I gone with the 3:45 pacers. Still, if I'd finished relatively comfortably I'd probably have been annoyed for not attempting a faster time.

Anyway - hope to see you on the start line in Cork where I'll be lining up with the 3:45 pacers - I'll be the chap with the kinesio tape all over my legs because training since Dublin Marathon has been like going from one injury to another!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

I am in a similar boat but will be following the 3.45 train

Did my 20 miler at 9:00 min pace on Saturday and felt good with last half at 8:45 pace

I assume i am boarding the right train! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I just rang the lovely Gina (hope your reading this :D ) and despite the fact I only want to drop down to the half from the full I'm still in 17th on the list for getting a spot.
    So I reckon 50/50

I'm in the half now :D thanks Gina
    So now another couple of good weeks before easing off for the last.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Woddle wrote: »
    So now another couple of good weeks before easing off for the last.
    You'd better give it a good lash now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    You'd better give it a good lash now :)

sure will, I'm thinking 1'48 ish and maybe even an outside shot of 1'45 (8 min pace) not sure I'll have the endurance to hold the pace though but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

4 stars (good)
    I entered the FM yesterday but did not read the small print. Seems I have to pick the number up on the Sat or Sun before the marathon. Is there anyway around this? Is there anyone on the local area who could pick up and meet on the day? Was disappointed with my Kildare marathon performance and jumped before I looked:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Still no word on the sports drink, have called them a few times. I know they'll have one, I'd just like to know which one.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you're planning to use the drink they provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    mrslow wrote: »
    Still no word on the sports drink, have called them a few times. I know they'll have one, I'd just like to know which one.:mad:

Be warned, last year (or could have been year before) the drink sponsor pulled out at the last minute, and they had to substitute with something else.

I think I'll be out stashing drinks and bananas in various hedges on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I always bring my own gels - 4 Power bar gels and water and I am in business - if there are bananas on the course, I will have some but other than that, I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Tanora in 250ml bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

4 stars (good)
    collection? Yes; i should have read the small print. Is there any facility to get number posted out or collected on day?

3 stars (average)
    Tanora in 250ml bottles

I hope that's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Of course it's a joke - the Tanora will be in cups, not bottles.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Of course it's a joke - the Tanora will be in cups, not bottles.

Mind your own business Mr. I don't run outside The Pale :P

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    i008787 wrote: »
    collection? Yes; i should have read the small print. Is there any facility to get number posted out or collected on day?

Give the office a call and see what they say. I think you are meant to collect your number etc yourself, but I cannot recall if they check for ID or anything. As far as I remember, they just check your piece of paper which has your number on it. If you have a friend or whatever in cork then post them the form and get them to be you and collect it. I dont think there would be a huge issue.
    Are you not coming to Cork until the morning of the marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I think I'll be out stashing bananas in various hedges on Sunday night.

And I thought it was just me that had that reputation.....:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think I'll be out stashing drinks and bananas in various hedges on Sunday night.
    Sounds like a euphemism for a night at Coppers :pac:

I don't run outside The Pale :P
    You don't know what you're missing!! :P:P

Tanora! ...with some Donkey's Gudge (Chester cake to those outside 'De Republik')...mmmmmmmmmmm. :D

Never mind your energy bars!.....a few slabs of Donkey's Gudge and sure you'd be away on a hack! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rich1982

3 stars (average)

I've had no luck on this either. I'm not too worried about the brand but how regularly they'll be available (every 5/6 miles?). Anyone know from last year?

Also, is the water in bottles or in cups? - Please say bottles...

And finally will they have bananas or will I have to carry my own?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    rich1982 wrote: »
    I've had no luck on this either. I'm not too worried about the brand but how regularly they'll be available (every 5/6 miles?). Anyone know from last year?

Thanks...

It would be nice if they had bananas along the way - carried one in my back pocket in DCM and could have done with a straw for it when I plucked it out c. 15 miles in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    rich1982 wrote: »

Thanks...

The water was in bottles last year. I've some memory of Dunne's Stores coming along as a sponsor last minute & providing kid's size water bottle which were very handy to carry while running.

Can't remember about the sports drinks, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I wish I had the problem of worrying about drinks they were providing !
    Finally have to concede defeat in efforts to recover from injury in time for run.
    Enjoy it all !

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    anymore wrote: »
    I wish I had the problem of worrying about drinks they were providing !
    Finally have to concede defeat in efforts to recover from injury in time for run.
    Enjoy it all !

Sorry to hear that!

Advertisement