Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

4 stars (good)
    Alsoare there gels available on the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Condo131 wrote: »
    Sat/Sun is fine for small towns like Clon or Dingle. For the Cork & Dublin, Marathons, all roads on the route are closed to traffic, so it is a lot harder to manage. You need to put on a race directors hat when looking at these things.

You make lots of valid points for Sat & Sunday, but I can't imagine how Cork or Dublin could be run on either day, without absolute chaos.
    I suppose there might be an issue with having some City employees working both Sun and Mon. Anyway, I was just curious, it is probably part tradition as well. I'll be there regardless of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Marathon & Relay start is 09:00
    Half-Marathon Start is 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Re: the Monday event - Would it also have something to do with the fact that if there was a GAA match on in Paric Ui C, the roads would have to kept open and they couldn't close streets/the tunnel off?

Regarding the start times, i thought they wanted the marathon winner to be first over the line. Why then have they put the relay at the same time as the relay will be first over the line? Wasn't that the big query from last year IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

chinguetti wrote: »
    Re: the Monday event - Would it also have something to do with the fact that if there was a GAA match on in Paric Ui C, the roads would have to kept open and they couldn't close streets/the tunnel off?
    Things like that clearly have a strong bearing on the day. For instance, in Dublin, you'd have to be stark raving mad to even consider having the DCM on All Ireland day. Oth, if you're planning an event in a small town, you'd also want to avoid other traffic generating events.
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Regarding the start times, i thought they wanted the marathon winner to be first over the line. Why then have they put the relay at the same time as the relay will be first over the line? Wasn't that the big query from last year IIRC?
    They'd still like that to happen, but it's unlikely. The problem with separate marathon and Relay starts is that the relay runners would have to run through the entire marathon field. That's something that you can't plan for, as there are so many diverse paces in both fields.

A top marathon runner in the field should be able to beat any of the relay teams, given the relay winning times to date. Cork is, imho, a very fast course, so, if weather were good, I reckon that a top field with a depth of quality runners, could go close/better than Dublin. To build a field like that, you need a more attractive prize fund than Cork has AND also a track record of good winning times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Marathon & Relay start is 09:00
    Half-Marathon Start is 11:30

Hopefully I get my change, I contacted Gina about dropping from the full to the half, as this would allow me to get the camera out for the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    On the Monday v Sunday debate. There are other events on that weekend in Cork and the Monday is the best. The ocean to city race for example is dependant on the tides. Food markets and vintage runs etc

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    On the Monday v Sunday debate. There are other events on that weekend in Cork and the Monday is the best. The ocean to city race for example is dependant on the tides. Food markets and vintage runs etc
    Dont the tides rise and fall every day ?:confused:

4 stars (good)
    anymore wrote: »
    Dont the tides rise and fall every day ?:confused:

The tides follow the moon (for example) and don't happen at the same time every day. A kayak race needs to take this into account for starting at midnight isn't as safe as starting at midday.

The tides follow the moon (for example) and don't happen at the same time every day. A kayak race needs to take this into account for starting at midnight isn't as safe as starting at midday.
    Jaysus, do we need kayaks for the Cork marathon ?:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    We could have done with the kayaks in last years Cork Marathon...:D

4 stars (good)
    No kayak needed but if you want to cross "codes" the kayak and currach race is on Saturday this year

We could have done with the kayaks in last years Cork Marathon...:D
    I felt that way last night doing a run at the ' farm' ; two ducks had left the river and were waddling around the pitches !:)

4 stars (good)
    I hope that isn't an omen for this years race..we've had the sun, then the rain..what next?:confused:

No kayak needed but if you want to cross "codes" the kayak and currach race is on Saturday this year
    As it happens, i am kinda interested in trying triathalons or adventure races to give my feet a break from all running. Know where I can get involved in kayaking in or near Cork ?

4 stars (good)
    anymore wrote: »
    As it happens, i am kinda interested in trying triathalons or adventure races to give my feet a break from all running. Know where I can get involved in kayaking in or near Cork ?

Come over to the canoeing forum for a chat. :-)
    But www.phoenixkayakclub.com if your in the city

Come over to the canoeing forum for a chat. :-)
    But www.phoenixkayakclub.com if your in the city
    Brilliant, thanks a million, i am going on to site now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Cork Marathon and Half Marathon routes from the Running in Cork website

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2596783

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/33537120

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Anybody know the best place to park close to start/finish coming in from the Tipp/Dublin direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Anybody know the best place to park close to start/finish coming in from the Tipp/Dublin direction?

If you arrive in good time (8:00am) you should get free (as it is a Bank Holiday) street parking within the vicinity of the City Hall (race HQ). Certainly, last year, there was ample parking along the quays either side of the City Hall. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

mickhen wrote: »
    Any ideas on the numbers entered for the full. I have a feeling numbers could be down on last year

Organisers say around 1600 entries which is on a par with last year. Entry closing date May 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

3 stars (average)

Hi sideswipe, If you come in to the city along the quays, intead of turning left towards the city hall, at the end of Horgan's quay take the right turn (Railway Street) ,just before the first bridge. There is plenty of parking here, which will then give you a free run (get it?:D), outta the city once your finished.
    If you miss this turn, just go straight on , turn right at the traffic lights( patricks bridge on your left), go along MacCurtain street, thru the lights, then take the right fork before the train station. All parking around here.
    Google MacCurtain Street , and you'll see it straight away(Alfred Street is where I would park).
    Hope I didn't confuse you, ( or myself!!:confused:).
    W.

4 stars (good)

Just a bit of advice from last year as I was coming from tipp...make sure you come about half an hour before they say their closing the roads...I was on time last year when I hit the roundabout at the tunnel to come off the motorway and head in by the quay but they had it shut early...was instructed to head back out the motorway to glamire and come in that way, what a nightmare..went around that way but still had to beg cops at a road to let me through or I'd miss it which far play to him he did. There is a lot of parking around the quay, park there and walk across the bridge, its only a 5min walk and makes it fair easy to get out after the race. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    With the last LSR coming up this weekend its a last chance to test out sports drink.
    Any word on the brand they'll have this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Spotted this morning the CCM banners being put up on the lamp posts on Grand Parade when I was cycling to work, not too long to wait now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    I just rang the lovely Gina (hope your reading this :D ) and despite the fact I only want to drop down to the half from the full I'm still in 17th on the list for getting a spot.
    So I reckon 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Looks like ill be pacing 3.30 in this years ccm. All aboards the 3.30 trin tickets are 50 euro:D
    Choo choo

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Looks like ill be pacing 3.30 in this years ccm. All aboards the 3.30 trin tickets are 50 euro:D
    Choo choo

Worth every penny if you can get me to the finish line on time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Choo choo
    Great to see that there will be pacers again this year. I might join you at the start line.

Will there also be a 3:45 pacer? I have to decide between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)
    Rasb wrote: »
    Great to see that there will be pacers again this year. I might join you at the start line.

Will there also be a 3:45 pacer? I have to decide between the two.

Deciding between 3:45 and 3:30? Is that wise? thats a big gap in times, if you're not able for 3:30 don't go near those pacers you could risk not getting a 3:45 if you do.

Advertisement