Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too late on the "bandwagon" ! ( thread )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

mcgovern wrote: »
    Every time I hear that (which is quite often) I wonder if it was another game entirely that I played...

I'd agree with you there. I liked Uncharted 2, but I think there's way too much hype about it. It was far too straight forward for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Notorious wrote: »
    I'd agree with you there. I liked Uncharted 2, but I think there's way too much hype about it. It was far too straight forward for my liking.

Yup, it was a good game, but not a game of the year contender for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got attacked here for suggesting it wasn't my game of the year in 2009 or the best looking. I loved it but thought there was better than that and as a big 2D art fan I was always going to pick the gorgeous 2D games we got in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Recent trip to the UK. Game had 3 PC games for a tenner, amongst the usual dross was Mass Effect, Bioshock 2 and DeadSpace. Not heard of Deadspace but ShopGuy reckoned it was worth a go.

Yes. Yes it is. It's bloody amazing!
    I've picked up a few recently that I just never got a chance to play:

Bioshock 1 & 2
    Bayonetta
    Darksiders
    The Orange Box (purely for Portal)
    Vanquish
    Enslaved
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
    Ninja Gadien 2
    The Sly Trilogy
    Resistance 1 & 2

They'll keep me busy for a long while.

I actually picked up Bayonetta a while ago. Must have a go of that soon!

Also the Bioshock series never really appealed to me. I mean why would such a linear game become a highly rated shooter? I watched the bro playing the second one thinking "what's with all the fuss?".

I was in HMV the other day and noticed that 360 are doing double deals for about 17e. Think one of them was Mass Effect 1 and Crackdown. Was very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Vanquish is a must for anyone who likes any kind of 3rd person shooter. The comparisons to Gears of War are there but this really does everything so much better than that did. Great game.

Darksiders is top of the range as well. It's fallen to the wayside for me since I bought and got hooked on Fight Night but it's defo gonna get back into the machine shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats why I liked it, its basically playing a summer blockbuster movie. I dont have the time for open world games anymore so playing something with an A-B storyline and great setpieces is fine by me. Also it got the balance of engaging cutscenes driving the plot forward so right where stuff like MGS4 just got it so wrong. The cast of Uncharted are also genuinely likeable, you care about the characters they're not just generic action game cutouts. Hope the movie does it justice, as much as I cant picture Marky Mark as Nathan Drake, shoulda been Ryan Reynolds or Nathan Fillion playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What Uncharted did it did brilliantly.

I don't think there another game that looked as good on the PS3 when UC2 came out. The gunplay was addictive and the characters/story kept you engaged.

I am going to plug Peace Walker and Kingdom Hearts:BBS again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Got Bioshock today, always heard that its supposed to be great but never got around to getting it, I find most modern shooters to be really generic and uninteresting so hopefully it holds up to my expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Harps wrote: »
    Got Bioshock today, always heard that its supposed to be great but never got around to getting it, I find most modern shooters to be really generic and uninteresting so hopefully it holds up to my expectations

Bioshock 1 is still in my top 3 list. Amazing game with awesome setting. Thought I am sucker for 60s apocalyptic theme :)

the opening is fantastic,would you kindly stick with it as its much more than a generic fps, its the other stuff that makes it worth playing.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    the opening is fantastic,would you kindly stick with it as its much more than a generic fps, its the other stuff that makes it worth playing.

I see what you did there!! :) I might even reply it again, it's a shame those scary one of moments wont have so much influence :(

I see what you did there!! :) I might even reply it again, it's a shame those scary one of moments wont have so much influence :(

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would ye recommend playing uncharted before playing uncharted 2?or can I just dive straight into number 2?

Would ye recommend playing uncharted before playing uncharted 2?or can I just dive straight into number 2?

I played 2 before I played the first one, its a better game overall, more varied levels,most of the first game is set in jungle/temple environments,whereas in 2 it goes from jungles to snowy mountains and war torn towns and more urban areas and the graphics are amazing, you get all the backstory you need from the cutscenes really, play the first as well as its a good game but the second is an improvement in almost every way. Its also hilarious in places, Nathan Drake is one of the few genuinely likeable video game characters, some of his one liners are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

That_Guy wrote: »
    Playing Mass Effect. Got it for cheap. I don't know why I didn't pick it up sooner to be honest. Absolutely fantastic game.
    I too was late to the Mass Effect thing. Didn't really interest me too much when the first one arrived. Decided to pick it up about 6 months after it hit and it didn't really grab me. I stopped playing it as soon as I arrived in the Citadel. It went unplayed for months after that.

Mass Effect 2 was incoming last year and I couldn't resist the temptation to boot it up again and give it another shot. The hype for the second game was killing me.

I now consider Mass Effect to be in my Top 10 Best Games ever list. I loved it. And still do. Much more than Mass Effect 2. Which also ranks highly for me. Yeah it has it's flaws, but I really decided that I didn't like it the first time around and stopped playing at the lowest point in the game. I'm so glad that I picked it back up.

Just started my third/fourth playthrough of the first one today. Still holds up, although the lack of AA was killing my eyes. Decided to turn on ambient occlusion and for supersampling AA via the Nvidia control panel and it's a lot easier on the eyes.
    Gonna play through Mass Effect 2 right after I finish the first one. I'll have to buy all the (important) DLC for the ME2, but that's half my reason for starting this all over again. Wanna have a really good save game to start the third game with.

Late to the party, didn't like it, now I LOVE it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Call of Duty MW1 and WAW (Online) - Had both on the pc but for some awfully strange reason I never went online with them. (Wasnt a big pc gamer and unknown to online features) It was only last year when I played MW2 online at my cousins house did I realise what I had missed out on. :(

Mass Effect - Had it on the xbox when it came out but only played an hour of it and thought it was good but other games caught my attention more and this slipped down the list. Then played ME2 and loved it so I went back and played ME1.

Mario Galaxy - Bought it when it came out, played it and didnt really like it much. Got a lend of it recently and loving it. Going to get MG2 soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No idea what ShadowHearth is on about but played the opening level and love the feel of it. The atmosphere is amazing, the music, art style and attention to detail is great and although naturally it reminds me of Fallout its got a really unique feel to it

No idea what ShadowHearth is on about but played the opening level and love the feel of it. The atmosphere is amazing, the music, art style and attention to detail is great and although naturally it reminds me of Fallout its got a really unique feel to it

Would you kindly finish this game? It will be one of tue best singleplayer experiences you will ever have these days. Trust me ;)

I checked a few achievements I newer got, so it's very likely I will be back to bioshock! If only I will get of the drug called: new Vegas... 42h and still counting....

[QUOTE=Harps;71653070]No idea what ShadowHearth is on about but played the opening level and love the feel of it. The atmosphere is amazing, the music, art style and attention to detail is great and although naturally it reminds me of Fallout its got a really unique feel to it[/QUOTE]

You will when you finish it ;) The opening is amazing though, I love the soundtrack as well, that first glimpse of Rapture is one of gamings great moments. "Is a man entitled to the sweat from his brow? No, says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor, no, says the man in The Vatican it belongs to God, no, says the man in Moscow it belongs to everyone!" One of the best openings to a game ever.

You will when you finish it ;) The opening is amazing though, I love the soundtrack as well, that first glimpse of Rapture is one of gamings great moments. "Is a man entitled to the sweat from his brow? No, says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor, no, says the man in The Vatican it belongs to God, no, says the man in Moscow it belongs to everyone!" One of the best openings to a game ever.

Nailed it.

To be honest I did not knew much about the game when I bought it. I just generally heard it must be good. So I newer preordered it and just went to buy it. In first 30 minutes my jaw droped sooooooooo low! At that time ( and even now ) graphics on xbox were stunning! The whole feel, rapture, idea, characters!

I barely played on xbox back then, but I just could not walk away from bioshock. It was just too epic.

All the characters were so creepy and interesting. I was pushing myself harder and harder just to find more info on next boss etc. Every single audiolog made wiggling down my pants! I don't even talk about those scary moments. I played all resident evils and silent hills, but bioshock had great scary moments and some mind ****.

Still top 3 game of all times In my books. Considering fallout 2 is in first place it's pretty impressive lol.

• Advertisement

Nailed it.

To be honest I did not knew much about the game when I bought it. I just generally heard it must be good. So I newer preordered it and just went to buy it. In first 30 minutes my jaw droped sooooooooo low! At that time ( and even now ) graphics on xbox were stunning! The whole feel, rapture, idea, characters!

I barely played on xbox back then, but I just could not walk away from bioshock. It was just too epic.

All the characters were so creepy and interesting. I was pushing myself harder and harder just to find more info on next boss etc. Every single audiolog made wiggling down my pants! I don't even talk about those scary moments. I played all resident evils and silent hills, but bioshock had great scary moments and some mind ****.

Still top 3 game of all times In my books. Considering fallout 2 is in first place it's pretty impressive lol.

The atmosphere is what makes Bioshock, you can play it as an all guns blazing fps if you want but using the turrets and hacking and plasmids and all that makes it way more interesting. Its more like a first person rpg than a shooter in places.
    First time I played it was on launch day, I had a projector hooked up to my xbox back then as I lived in an apartment with a big white wall so it was perfect for playing games on, that opening was stunning looking on it. Even the fire on the water during the plane crash, the water effects still hold up today, I think it actually looks better than Bioshock 2 even today.

I would kill somebody for ability to play it for the first time again!

I still can't believe there are so many people who say "I could not get in to it, meh". It's a fresh breath of air in see of generic shooters. Payed 50 quid for game. Finished it once. Best 50 quid I ever spent on video game. And that a single player game!!! I wish they would make more quality single player games...

Who newer played bioshock 1, should go now and buy it. No excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I would kill somebody for ability to play it for the first time again!

I still can't believe there are so many people who say "I could not get in to it, meh". It's a fresh breath of air in see of generic shooters. Payed 50 quid for game. Finished it once. Best 50 quid I ever spent on video game. And that a single player game!!! I wish they would make more quality single player games...

Who newer played bioshock 1, should go now and buy it. No excuses!

50 quid? Now a fiver!

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/17278460/BioShock/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=bioshock&cur=258&urlrefer=search

Bioshock 2 is 7.50

I got it when it came out.

Not taking it for a fiver is Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Bioshock 2 is 7.50
    You're much better off not letting that taint the original game :p Not even worth 7.50 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I got it when it came out.

Not taking it for a fiver is Madness!

Damm u boards!

Now I have Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes (Anthology), Deadspace and Supreme Commander to get through!

Oh and a full time job plus wife and kids :eek:

Just when I thought I was out............

Damm u boards!

Now I have Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes (Anthology), Deadspace and Supreme Commander to get through!

We all know, including yourself, which of those should take a back-seat if given the ultimatum.;)

Damm u boards!

Hahahaha, thx god No kids here yet. All free time from misses and work I spend with games.

In all fainress list you got is amazing, i feel so jelous if you will play all those games for the first time...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm assuming all you Bioshock fans have played System Shock 2, right? Cause if not... :eek:

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm assuming all you Bioshock fans have played System Shock 2, right? Cause if not... :eek:
    I ummm 'found' a copy of it a while ago. Cant buy it anywhere. And it's also a pain in the ass to get running on Vista or Win7(i believe). Great game.

Just waiting for GOG.com to get it up there but there is no word of it coming. A man can dream. Shame though. I was late to the party on that one too.

Advertisement