Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too late on the "bandwagon" ! ( thread )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm assuming all you Bioshock fans have played System Shock 2, right? Cause if not... :eek:

I hope its not one of those : how **** bioshock is compering it too system shock etc.

For me bioshock has amazing setting an style. Even if it worse then ss2, I don't care as I did not liked that scyfi setting.

Ss2 fans really hate bioshock....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I hope its not one of those : how **** bioshock is compering it too system shock etc.

For me bioshock has amazing setting an style. Even if it worse then ss2, I don't care as I did not liked that scyfi setting.

To me, they are two completely different animals. Both great in their own right.

To me, they are two completely different animals. Both great in their own right.

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Damm u boards!

Now I have Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes (Anthology), Deadspace and Supreme Commander to get through!

Oh and a full time job plus wife and kids :eek:

Just when I thought I was out............
    Just to let you know. Bioshock 1 AND 2 are both on Steam for €5 each. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Good lord ME2, I never completed it...Thread just reminded me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If people haven't played it yet, Beyond Good and Evil HD on XBLA or PSN is cheap and a great game. Granted, it doesn't stand up against modern games, but take it for what it was back then and it's an excellent game. Plus an easy Platinum/1000 which is got by ust completing the game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

if you have xbla and havent gotten Super Meat Boy yet, for the love of all that is holy, DO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Tried the demo for super meat boy and its enfuriating, even supposedly simple levels I die countless times on. So addictive though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No we don't. I loved Bioshock, but i also realised that it was remarkably similar to System Shock 2 at times, and System Shock 2 didnt get enough credit for that. Both are great games (SS2 is definitely better though :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If people haven't played it yet, Beyond Good and Evil HD on XBLA or PSN is cheap and a great game. Granted, it doesn't stand up against modern games, but take it for what it was back then and it's an excellent game. Plus an easy Platinum/1000 which is got by ust completing the game! :)

It's only 200 GS on XBL, and while its relatively easy to get all 200, it will take a reasonable amount of time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

So alot of people are saying the original bioshock is worth a go then? Might have to look into that...

For anyone with a ps3 that hasn't heard of it Demon's Souls is well worth a go, can be had for about €17 on Zavvi at the moment.

It's definitely one of the harder games around but very rewarding, serious replay value as well. People were buying the Japanese version on ebay when it came out first as it wasn't released in Europe, didn't get much mainstream attention though due to lack of any sort of publicity or advertising.

Harps wrote: »
    Tried the demo for super meat boy and its enfuriating, even supposedly simple levels I die countless times on. So addictive though!

once you start getting the early levels down so you can get through them on the first go without dying it becomes really satisfying, some of the later levels are an absolute nightmare though

Woohoo Red Dead Remption is on zavvi.com for 20.95 delivered, cheapest I've ever seen it, ordered!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tropico on the 360/PC. It works so great on the 360 for a simulation/strategy game. It's an excellent game, well worth diving into!

Tropico on the 360/PC. It works so great on the 360 for a simulation/strategy game. It's an excellent game, well worth diving into!

Is it like economy sim? I newer ever eve sow it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

krudler wrote: »
    Woohoo Red Dead Remption is on zavvi.com for 20.95 delivered, cheapest I've ever seen it, ordered!

Zavvi have some serious deals up these days, the site is becoming dangerous

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is it like economy sim? I newer ever eve sow it :(

Its basically a game that puts you in charge of Cuba :pac: Its really well thought out and converted to the 360 perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can add plenty more PSP games to that list. PSP has been the best console at the moment in the last few months strangely.

6 pages on and you still haven't mentioned the games! ;) I just got a PSP there at Christmas so I wouldn't mind some good suggestions.

Playing FF Tactics: War of the Lions at the moment which I picked up preowned for a tenner in Game. It looked like it had been played for about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CrazyTalk wrote: »
    6 pages on and you still haven't mentioned the games! ;) I just got a PSP there at Christmas so I wouldn't mind some good suggestions.

Playing FF Tactics: War of the Lions at the moment which I picked up preowned for a tenner in Game. It looked like it had been played for about 5 minutes.

In the last year I have played and completed:

- MGS: Peace Walker (just an amazing game in every way)
    - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: (Smaller on scale than the console versions but its just so distilled that all is left is excellent)
    - Valkyria Chronicles 2: Another excellent game if not quite as good as its predecessor

There is also Jeanne D'Arc (a bit like Tactics except more modern and accessible - in fact I have not been able to reyy give Tatctics a chance after playing this)

MGS: Portible Ops is also worth a go.

Hear great things about the two God of War Games, Patapon games.

Also just out or coming out soon:
    - Persona 3 Portible
    - Tactics Ogre

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Great idea for a thread in here, in the last week I started playing the very first Zelda game, I bought it on the gameboy advance about 3 years ago but never played it. I started bringing my gameboy micro on the bus to work and I'm flying through this now. It's seriously hard but the satisfaction when you actually figure something out is great! On the 4th dungeon at the moment, the music is still classic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yakuza 3 is another game I got recently,love it.

the copy of the limited edition Halo Reach arrived in the post this morning the journal is soooo pretty, and smells wonderful :pac: gonna give that a bash tonight after work, are many people still playing it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Replaying Darksiders on the PC now. I finished it on 360 last year but got it in the steam sale a few weeks ago. The graphics on PC really do the art style justice, and ive actoually found myself enjoying it alot more than i did first time around. Fantastic game, great characters, and a lovely comic book art style. Definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary slew of brown military shooters

Okay, one more game from me.

I did not got this game because alot of people were moaning and bitching how bad it was. Well, I did a mistake, as the ones who were bitching and moaning were cod fanboy army.

Medal of honor - single player is decent, but I was not focused much on it. Multiplayer was the bit that shocked me, as it had one element that I haven't seen in modern shooters in ages. It has a game mode similar to rush in bc2. Bomb site needs to be defended by one team, while anther tries to bomb it to heaven ( a shocker, I know), if bomb planted you move deeper in to defence and do the same. So whats so new in moh so? The gameplay lads. I was shocked to see my attacking team using every single cover, then little by little push it to objective. It felt like real war, everyone is afraid for they life, being careful, moving from cover to cover only if they know it's safe or they got a squad of people pushing from one position. All this in random server with random people! Not even using voicechat! I was shocked! As much as I love bc2, but even it can't pull of that feeling!

On top of that dedicated servers which is like a nectar on my scared brain from cod and Crysis 2...

Now there are few things some people will hate, some people will love - no kill cams!!! It gets frustrating sometimes when some sniper makes you his bitch for half of match, but when you hunt him down it makes it very satisfying. Plus it makes you think twice before jumpig from cover second time at same place, as you will just get killed and still wount see sniper position.

Now it's not perfect game, but it's really well worth a go. If you can get it cheap, I would recommend it!

Okay, one more game from me.

I did not got this game because alot of people were moaning and bitching how bad it was. Well, I did a mistake, as the ones who were bitching and moaning were cod fanboy army.

Medal of honor - single player is decent, but I was not focused much on it. Multiplayer was the bit that shocked me, as it had one element that I haven't seen in modern shooters in ages. It has a game mode similar to rush in bc2. Bomb site needs to be defended by one team, while anther tries to bomb it to heaven ( a shocker, I know), if bomb planted you move deeper in to defence and do the same. So whats so new in moh so? The gameplay lads. I was shocked to see my attacking team using every single cover, then little by little push it to objective. It felt like real war, everyone is afraid for they life, being careful, moving from cover to cover only if they know it's safe or they got a squad of people pushing from one position. All this in random server with random people! Not even using voicechat! I was shocked! As much as I love bc2, but even it can't pull of that feeling!

On top of that dedicated servers which is like a nectar on my scared brain from cod and Crysis 2...

Now there are few things some people will hate, some people will love - no kill cams!!! It gets frustrating sometimes when some sniper makes you his bitch for half of match, but when you hunt him down it makes it very satisfying. Plus it makes you think twice before jumpig from cover second time at same place, as you will just get killed and still wount see sniper position.

Now it's not perfect game, but it's really well worth a go. If you can get it cheap, I would recommend it!

I'd hate that, killcams make you a better player, you learn the sightlines on maps better when you can see what other people are looking at and how to avoid them. its why I dont play Hardcore on COD much, full of campers who just sit in one spot knowing you cant see where they shot you from.

It does sound nice to play a fps where people are actually playing it properly instead of running around looking for their ep1c sn1p3r k1lzzZ like the kids on COD. sigh, one can only hope for dedicated servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Replaying Darksiders on the PC now. I finished it on 360 last year but got it in the steam sale a few weeks ago. The graphics on PC really do the art style justice, and ive actoually found myself enjoying it alot more than i did first time around. Fantastic game, great characters, and a lovely comic book art style. Definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary slew of brown military shooters

This was a great game, the first part is a basic brawler then when you get to the first dungeon it turns into a Zelda game and it just gets better from there! I can't wait for the sequel, I might have to play through this again soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Very late on this one but I'm giving Perfect Dark a play through at the moment, bought it way back in the day stupidly not realising I needed the eexpansion pack to play it, for some reason I never got an expansion pack so I've never played the single player.

Gonna give it a go tonight for a bit of nostalgia

Funny thing with nostalgia...

I started talking on vent how can I not wait foe new heroes 6. He was like WTF is that? If he would be near me I would give him a great slap, ant self respecti g pc gamer has to know what heroes of might and magic is!

So he found that on steam and bought h5 for a tenner. Meanwhile I found my old CDs if it. I installed full game and 1 expansion. Funny enough I cant remember even first mission of expansion... Somehow I have a feeling I bought it and newer played it! Oh goody! I am back to be playing on pc! :d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Have stalker shadow of chernobyl coming along in the post with fallout 1,2 and tactics. Eh is borderlands worth getting?

• Advertisement

zero19 wrote: »
    Have stalker shadow of chernobyl coming along in the post with fallout 1,2 and tactics. Eh is borderlands worth getting?

Good man yourself. You got midlife Crysis for post apocalyptic theme :)

Fallout 1 is good

Fallout 2 is epic. There is even mmorpg done based on that engine and world!

Fallout 2 is still nr1 in my games carrier with bioshock on second place :)

Advertisement