Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too late on the "bandwagon" ! ( thread )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

started playing Halo Reach last night, feels really strange playing a fps where you cant ADS (aim down sights) with guns after playing Call of Duty for so long, just feels like you're running around spraying instead of being accurate, liking the single player so far though but dont think the multiplayer will keep me away from COD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Good man yourself. You got midlife Crysis for post apocalyptic theme :)

Fallout 1 is good

Fallout 2 is epic. There is even mmorpg done based on that engine and world!

Fallout 2 is still nr1 in my games carrier with bioshock on second place :)

I really can't get enough of these games right now played the crap out of Fallout 3 and NV so i thought i'd check out how it all started!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

zero19 wrote: »
    I really can't get enough of these games right now played the crap out of Fallout 3 and NV so i thought i'd check out how it all started!

I was hooked up on new Vegas recently, but when I finished it, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I will go anather go with new character, but I know one thing. After I get in to new Vegas town I will stay away the feck from main quests.

Story wise and exploration wise new vegas can't even stand near f2. You could actuolly complete that game without shooting a single bullet. That's how flexible and epic that game was!

Tactics will be meh. Not the best fallout experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Shuffling between a lot of Wii games since I got it for Christmas and only get to play it every 2nd weekend or so due to college

Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Just got the last star. Sweet Jesus that was tough! Absolutely fantastic game.
    Metroid Prime Trilogy - Finished the first game about 2 weeks ago and about an hour through the 2nd. First game was excellent and the 2nd seems to be more of the same.
    Donkey Kong - On to the 4th world. Brings back so many memories from my SNES days as a kid.
    Zelda: Twilight Princess - Another great game. Nearly 20 hours in at this stage and I'd say I could be playing for another 20. My first 3D Zelda experience.
    Mario Kart - Just play it when a few are around, must still unlock the last 8 courses though
    Super Smash Bos Brawl - This is ok really. Not overly bothered about it.

PS3
    Killzone 3 - Short but Excellent. Prob finished it in 7 or 8 hours but it's great while it lasts and the multiplayer is good.
    Black Ops - Just multiplayer
    Crysis 2 - Really enjoyable game but the AI is shocking at times. I'd say I've 4 hours or so left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I was hooked up on new Vegas recently, but when I finished it, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I will go anather go with new character, but I know one thing. After I get in to new Vegas town I will stay away the feck from main quests.

Story wise and exploration wise new vegas can't even stand near f2. You could actuolly complete that game without shooting a single bullet. That's how flexible and epic that game was!

Tactics will be meh. Not the best fallout experience.

Without shooting a bullet yourself ;)

EDIT: BTW, how does HOMM 5 hold up compared to 2 or 3?

• Advertisement

Without shooting a bullet yourself ;)

EDIT: BTW, how does HOMM 5 hold up compared to 2 or 3?

Homm = heroes of might and magic you mean?

I got it reinstalled. It's more like 3 then 4 if that makes any sence...

If you don't have it, then I would suggest just getting 6 , which is just near by.

Ubisoft made anather great game: settlers 7, gold edition goes for 14 pounds now. Finished one skirmish match today, took me 2.30h lol. Great fun.

ok so I now have Red Dead, Splinter Cell Conviction as of today Alan Wake (found the limited edition , new, sealed in xtravision for 29 quid :D ) woo that should see me through the summer months

krudler wrote: »
    ok so I now have Red Dead, Splinter Cell Conviction as of today Alan Wake (found the limited edition , new, sealed in xtravision for 29 quid :D ) woo that should see me through the summer months

I don't want to burst your bubble, but may and June almost here. I hope you got 150 quid spare lol.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but may and June almost here. I hope you got 150 quid spare lol.

oh dont getme started,Portal 2, Mortal Kombat and LA Noire are all on the must have list as well :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

3/4 of the way through F.E.A.R, fantastic shooter dunno what was I thinking not having played it before. For a 5 year old+ game it still looks pretty good and the AI is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

marco_polo wrote: »
    3/4 of the way through F.E.A.R, fantastic shooter dunno what was I thinking not having played it before. For a 5 year old+ game it still looks pretty good and the AI is excellent.
    I do like that game, a lot. Second one is relatively poor in my opinion.

marco_polo wrote: »

Oh god that game is classic! How could I forget about it! Fair play lad!

I remember when me and misses finally were able to rent out our own place. We had only little radio from Argos for 2 weeks. Then we managed to buy a pc, for some sort of entertainment. She is not gamer at all, but every evening we were together on couch. I was playing fear ad she was watching me play! We loved that game!!

I would still say this: best ai in games I ever came around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mount & Blade (Warband preferably). Words cannot describe the gameplay or scope to this game and you have the freedom (within relative terms) to do what you want in the game. Alot of the mechanics in the game work really well (combat could be a teeny bit better though) to make for an enjoyable gaming experience. There are also community developed mods to add more to it also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You wont be disapointed with red dead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

the opening is fantastic,would you kindly stick with it as its much more than a generic fps, its the other stuff that makes it worth playing.

I get this now :D

Epic game so far, been obsessed with it over the past week. Currently in Apollo Square so I've got 4 levels left to play

Harps wrote: »
    I get this now :D

Epic game so far, been obsessed with it over the past week. Currently in Apollo Square so I've got 4 levels left to play

We told you ;) . Would you kindly just go and finish that epic game! ;)

I started playing it again, and god how beautiful and immersive that game is! Again, recommend it to anyone who newer ever played it.

On the ather note: seine mentioned darksiders again here. Well I finally giving it ago again ;). It's really damn good, but very hard at times. Some enemies can get 2 full bars of your health if you do stupid mistake... No knockback ccooldown makes it very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finished Bioshock 2 last night.

For my money, a better actual game than the original although the story couldn't possibly have the same impact as the first.

noodler wrote: »
    Finished Bioshock 2 last night.

For my money, a better actual game than the original although the story couldn't possibly have the same impact as the first.

2 was great too. Story was pretty damn good too, but first one was just wow.

I finished first One on hard too, so I felt like weakling, taking down big daddy needed planing. Damn, taking him down felt like achievment lol.

Problem with first one - hero choise. I finished it on hard too, the problem was: I felt like a tinfoil prince, not a scary big daddy :( .

Characters in bouth games are just suburb, after I finish first one, I will jump into second one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Bought The Saboteur a few weeks back and started it today, must say I am surprised at how good it is.

Not surprised at the Irish accent though!

Alan Wake, loving it, the way every chapter ends like an episode of a tv show and the beginning of the next one has a "previously on Alan Wake.." clip thats presented exactly like it would on tv is a stroke of genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Alan Wake, loving it, the way every chapter ends like an episode of a tv show and the beginning of the next one has a "previously on Alan Wake.." clip thats presented exactly like it would on tv is a stroke of genius
    Combat is repetitive though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Finished exams last week, started playing Heavy Rain and Gears of War 2. Definitely gaming to fit your mood!

Picked up Uncharted 2 for........15-20 in Xtravision (pre-owned) and got Fable III and MK9 on the way (those being the newest new games i've bought lol)

Awesome.

I started bioshock 1 again. Holly crap how I love this game! I forgot a good few things. So I get cought alot!!! Awesome! Doing alot of exploring!

I will try to get achievements now. Still missing few from research.

Finished it earlier today, thought the ending was very poor and the last few levels in general to be well below the quality of the
    pre killing Ryan levels

Great game overall though, one of the best fps games I've played and undoubtedly one of the best settings, atmosphere and soundtrack in any game

Harps wrote: »
    Finished it earlier today, thought the ending was very poor and the last few levels in general to be well below the quality of the
    pre killing Ryan levels

Great game overall though, one of the best fps games I've played and undoubtedly one of the best settings, atmosphere and soundtrack in any game

About Bioshock, as amazing a game it is
    the final boss really sucks, its basically a Megaman boss in a FPS game, "oh you have these abilites like ice, well the boss is made of fire! oh wait ice beats fire, well how about he throws stuff at you! ohhhh yeah I forgot you can do that too..." I would have enjoyed that game just as much if there was no final boss, it didnt need it, the climax is finding out Ryan is already dead, the tacked on superpowered enemy just feel cheesy and cheap, like the developers had to go down the traditional game end route.

Combat is repetitive though.

It is, its also too often you have to fight the Taken, it'd be much more effective if they were harder and you had less weapons and had to use the environment more, make every encounter seem like a boss fight, instead theres some sections where you fight 4-5 of them every 50 yards and it takes away from it, becomes a chore to overcome instead of enjoyed, I just wanna get on with the story not dodge axes and kill the same character model a dozen times every few minutes.

About Bioshock, as amazing a game it is spoiler

Yep basically my feelings on the ending
    Fontaine wasn't an interesting character in the slightest, I kept expecting there to be a final twist around Tenenbaum but instead it just played out with a typical cliqued boss ending that had no real purpose to it.

Shame but still one of the best gaming experiences I've had

well lets bring this thread back up!

new member to this thread: metro 2033

wanted something fresh. got this on steam for **** and giggles as i am really big fan of russian games like this and post apocaliptic stuff too.

I am just in beggining of the game, but i am really loving it! One thing for sure, shadowing and lightning effects became really good in the last 5 years! :eek:

really interesting and really sucks you in, it has that horror survival flavor in it too. I am really counting my bullets there. Cant afford going all rambo style!

if find it cheap, or you looking for something that is quite unique then have a look at metro 2033 ;)

I was looking at that a few weeks ago, looks interesting but not a chance my laptop could run it

An extremely late one here but I started playing Deus Ex the other day, was always a console gamer back in the day so never tried it but its a great game so far. The amount of depth and options in everything you do is crazy compared to pretty much every other fps I've played.

Bought Shadow of Chernobyl last week as well but still waiting for it in the post, tomorrow hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just finished playing Demon's Souls yesterday. Absolutely fantastic game, thinking of giving it another play through.

Being playing a bit of Little Big planet 2. The story mode alone seems like a major improvement over the original and some of the custom levels are great.

Started Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday, only played about an hour but it seems entertaining. I've heard very good things about it.

I must also finish off Metroid Prime 2 and 3 and Fallout New Vegas all before the big games come out this year! :)

Advertisement