Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too late on the "bandwagon" ! ( thread )

Options
  • 10-04-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So here's the idea: in recent years we got bombarded by new releases. Not all of us had a chance to buy them all day one. Some did not had money for it, or had not enough info on title, to choose against solid releases.

So now and them we discover something in a bargain bin or we dig out something we wanted to play but newer came around it.

So simple: share info on good games which got lost in time, because bigger titles castes shadow on them or they did not got too much attention by media, or just something old good you found really entertaining. Help out your fellow gamer!

I'll start it off:

Alan wake - I newer got it when it came out, I liked reviews, idea, thriller survival setting. I had a voucher for game so I decided to pick it up. After playing two chapters in these were my thoughts of the game: brilliant idea. Story so far is messy, but it's messy in a good way. Horror does not have to be explained, it just has to be scary. This is the way it plays. I would put this game in to horror survival bracket which survived resident evil 5 syndrome. Brilliant game, controls are really great, atmosphere amazing. Go check a full review from your favourite website.

Fallout new Vegas - being stubborn hardcore fallout 2 fanboy, I still gave new Vegas a chance. I am glad I did it. I wont compare it to fallout 2 legend, but this game has that motivation to keep going. I am already 37h in my first time, still not near finish. And I already planing on my second go with anther approach to the situations. Character, faction, morale choises. If you can live with a few bugs now and then, then it's a great time sink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I still haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. It looks brilliant, has gotten rave reviews and I was a big GTA fan so it seems right up my street. I never picked it up because even months after release, it kept its high retail price.

I'll definately get it though. I can just picture myself riding accross the plains while humming "ecstasy of gold" to myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't think Mafia 2 was too popular and I was put off by 1st reviews but just got it last week and loved it, ya its short but it had more fun in my 10 hour playthrough than i did in gta 4 and read dead combined (R* please work on your mission structure!)

Also, Mass Effect 2 on PS3 is absolutely necessary, in case you gave it a miss because you can't playe ME 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enslaved Journey to somewhere.
    Darksiders

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kirby wrote: »
    I still haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet. It looks brilliant, has gotten rave reviews and I was a big GTA fan so it seems right up my street. I never picked it up because even months after release, it kept its high retail price.

I'll definately get it though. I can just picture myself riding accross the plains while humming "ecstasy of gold" to myself :p

Im waiting for the supposed GOTY edition of Red Dead, no sign of it yet though, and I cant justify pying 45 quid for a year old game, Rockstars game take fecking ages to drop in price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

+ 1 for Enslaved.

I still haven't played Darksiders.

Vanquish was a surprise hit for me!

• Advertisement

I'd recommend Vanquish, its a crime its going for about 15 quid these days and nobody is buying it, like Gears of War? this is better, yeah, I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Im prone to letting good games collect dust, but the release season is nearly at an end and the drought is about to begin so ill catch up then :D i.e uncharted 2, AvP, Fallout, Sims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

krudler wrote: »
    Im waiting for the supposed GOTY edition of Red Dead, no sign of it yet though, and I cant justify pying 45 quid for a year old game, Rockstars game take fecking ages to drop in price

I picked up a 2nd hand copy on eBay for €18 less than 6 months after it was released, plenty of value out there if you look hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm working through my back catalogue of Steam-sale & cheap PS2 games atm.

Not to mention the visual novels I'm reading through (and they take DAYS).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Started Bioshock 2 today.

Still have to finish Dead Space 1.

Finished Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep last week and it was excellent - that, Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2 have made it some year or so for the PSP but can't help but feel these games aren't getting the commerical success they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can add plenty more PSP games to that list. PSP has been the best console at the moment in the last few months strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Killing Floor, picked it up in the Steam sale (which one :D ) and love it to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I bought the Orange Box recently to see what all the hype about it was.
    On the last level of Portal, really good game, short though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Playing Mass Effect. Got it for cheap. I don't know why I didn't pick it up sooner to be honest. Absolutely fantastic game.

Picked up Red Dead Redemption in the Xtravision sale. Still yet to get stuck into it but I had been meaning to pick it up for ages having heard plenty of good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Didn't think I'd like Alan Wake so I ignored it when it came out. Saw it going for 15 quid in Game around Christmas and swiped it. Played the first mission and left it for about a month, then got back into it and finished it in 3 days. Amazing game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

You can pick up Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) for about €15 now.

I only got to play it last year but it's a fantastic game even if you're not usually into strategy. Gorgeous visuals, lush presentation and an excellent storyline combined with some innovative and involving gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Mass Effect series. After several attempts to get into ME1 (failed attempts) I finally bit the bullet and went ahead and skipped to ME2. Now that I've finished that I've found I have more of an desire to get into ME1 (a much better/deeper game) so that my second ME2 playthrough can have my character from ME1 in it. Also hopefully, I might get a bit more emotionally attached to the characters this way...

Either way, I'm ploughing through ME1 at a rate of knots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

J. Marston wrote: »
    I bought the Orange Box recently to see what all the hype about it was.
    On the last level of Portal, really good game, short though.

+1, currently playing through Half Life 2. Finally on the Second Part. It's just a brilliant game(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Alan Wake was good but I found the combat a bit repetitive.

Finished Darksiders recently. Great game, well worth the 7.50 on Steam :D
    Also finished Half-life Opposing Force last week. I've only owned it since release in 99 :)

Harps wrote: »
    I picked up a 2nd hand copy on eBay for €18 less than 6 months after it was released, plenty of value out there if you look hard enough

I dont buy 2nd hand games, tis new or nothing for me, factory sealed if possible, I'm finicky that way :pac:

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can add plenty more PSP games to that list. PSP has been the best console at the moment in the last few months strangely.

Is it wrong I want a PSP purely to play the God of War games that were released on it? can you still buy the old hackable ones or are PSPGO all thats around these days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can still get the normal PSP's. The God of War games are good but there's so much more on that system especially if you like japanese games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is it wrong I want a PSP purely to play the God of War games that were released on it? can you still buy the old hackable ones or are PSPGO all thats around these days?

You can pick up second hand PSP's and the Go has just dropped in price to 129euro.

Games wise, not a big game but one i really enjoyed was Singularity. Takes from Bioshock, Halflife and a hand full of others but really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

playing saints row 2 at the moment - great game :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kirby wrote: »

Get it,you wont be disapointed.

I recently got batman and assasins creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thinking about getting the uncharted series soon, only thing is, I already have about 10 games that I haven't even started yet, including Mass Effect 1 & 2 Fable 2 & 3 and such other gems

RedXIV wrote: »
    Thinking about getting the uncharted series soon, only thing is, I already have about 10 games that I haven't even started yet, including Mass Effect 1 & 2 Fable 2 & 3 and such other gems

Doooo itttttt. Uncharted 2 is spectacular. Its definitely one of the best single player games of this generation of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Doooo itttttt. Uncharted 2 is spectacular. Its definitely one of the best single player games of this generation of consoles.

Every time I hear that (which is quite often) I wonder if it was another game entirely that I played...

Going through Mass Effect 2 (which had been sitting unopened for quite awhile) at the moment, it wouldn't allow me to import my save from ME1, which was disappointing, but its been so long since I played that, that I don't remember what I did back then anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Recent trip to the UK. Game had 3 PC games for a tenner, amongst the usual dross was Mass Effect, Bioshock 2 and DeadSpace. Not heard of Deadspace but ShopGuy reckoned it was worth a go.
    Loving Mass Effect :D

Suits my attitude to games, upgrade PC as cheaply as possible and then you can play 2 year old really cheap games with all the settings maxed out!

Maybe next year I'll get Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3 and Call of Duty Black ops for a tenner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've picked up a few recently that I just never got a chance to play:

Bioshock 1 & 2
    Bayonetta
    Darksiders
    The Orange Box (purely for Portal)
    Vanquish
    Enslaved
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
    Ninja Gadien 2
    The Sly Trilogy