Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought it was a half they had in Connemara?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

KC, thanks for this detailed input. Much to think about. I suspect that intervals are the area where I need to do the most work,and have the most hope of finding an improvement...but between now and Conn it might be best not to try to change things too much.

Will certainly try to finish hard next weekend's LSR; would be hoping to do most of it at projected Conn pace (so about 2:30-2:40 for 20 miles) - I did this two weeks ago in Roundwood, but hopefully am a little fitter now. Either way, will try to put the boot in a bit over the last five.

One nice thing about a short slow run is that I can invite my daughter to join me. We had a pleasant 5.5km in 37 minutes through the usual park.

As usual (if two recovery runs can be considered enough to have a "usual"), I feel stiff and sore immediately afterwards. The big question is...will I feel great tomorrow when I run a ten-miler?

Time will telll.

Lovely evening out.

Turns out I didn't get out at all today. I'm nursing the hint of a cold, and that combined with some urgent work, a wife who wanted to go into town and a daughter who wanted to stay at home (and be babysat) was enough to keep me at the desk.

I did sleep nearly 11 hours last night, and with no school run in the morning I'd hope to get more of the same tonight. So if nothing else I'll be rested for tomorrow. That'll mean, all going well, a Sunday LSR this weekend.

Hope that I'm not really getting a cold - that'd be offputting this close to Conn....

What a lovely day for a run, and what a great run. It's good to get the occasional run where there's lots in the tank, where you're consciously throttling back and asking "could I keep this up for miles?", but where you're still hitting 4 minute kilometres, give or take.

Today I focused on a steady pace uphill (the coastal hills in Killiney are the main ones on this run), and on not letting the legs do the thinking on the flats. All worked out very well, and I'm pretty pleased.

First day in a singlet this year - perfect choice for the warm day that's in it.

Food log - 700ml sugar water before, 660ml strawberry milk + tuna sandwich after.

Bring on the long run on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Lucky you, running in the sun in Killiney today! I've been too busy at work/partying to run this week, what a disaster. Next run will be Monday, oh well.. will be 10 days since my last run at that stage- and am only doing about 25km a week best case. Looking at connemarathon as a training half, doing 2 more halves this summer so will do better at those hopefully

When you say 700ml before, how soon before? I cant master my hydration at all. I seem to need to go to the loo way too often- or I convince myself the minute i start to run that i need to go- it's very annoying!

• Advertisement

@wg: I drink a few minutes before starting to run. Usually when I'm doing a few warmup stretches. I dont find myself needing to stop much to use the bushes. I do sweat a big though! Today I drank about two litres between the start of an lsr and occasional drink stops, and sweated pretty much all of it out. That's an extreme case but half a litre just before running off really suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

brownian wrote: »
    What a lovely day for a run, and what a great run. It's good to get the occasional run where there's lots in the tank, where you're consciously throttling back and asking "could I keep this up for miles?", but where you're still hitting 4 minute kilometres, give or take.

Today I focused on a steady pace uphill (the coastal hills in Killiney are the main ones on this run), and on not letting the legs do the thinking on the flats. All worked out very well, and I'm pretty pleased.

First day in a singlet this year - perfect choice for the warm day that's in it.

Food log - 700ml sugar water before, 660ml strawberry milk + tuna sandwich after.

Bring on the long run on Sunday!

That's great going! Especially on a mainly uphill route. Used to run out that way alot for my LSR's when training for the marathon last year...that hill from Vico Road/Victoria Rd up to the arch at Killiney Hill Road is a killer:p

Very nice run yesterday, in pretty perfect weather. Wanted to get lots of drinking opportunities and to work on pace a bit, so went for four laps of the lake in Roundwood - flat, car free and pretty ok surface.

Tried giving it extra welly on the last lap, as per Krusty's advice; there wasn't a whole lot left in the tank, though. I didn't slow down, but it felt like I was really working and when I look at the Garmin data, I see no increase in speed. Keeping up the pace over the last few miles is all I was good for.

Three weeks to Conn. Would be happy enough to do the first 20 in Conn in 2:20, TBH, but tacking on another six (including a big fat hill) will be a challenge, so I think it'll be sensible to go a little handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I didn't slow down, but it felt like I was really working and when I look at the Garmin data, I see no increase in speed. Keeping up the pace over the last few miles is all I was good for.
    It'll stand to you on race day. It's the 'not slowing down' part that's important in training, and getting the body used to increased effort levels towards the end of the marathon. That's some good speed on the long run. Just another 10k in under 40 minutes and you'll be under the tree hours again. ;)

It'll stand to you on race day. It's the 'not slowing down' part that's important in training, and getting the body used to increased effort levels towards the end of the marathon. That's some good speed on the long run. Just another 10k in under 40 minutes and you'll be under the tree hours again. ;)

Thanks, KC. Fingers crossed, I think I could have a good crack at sub-3 on a reasonable course now; I only needed 8 more on Sunday, at 5 minutes each, and ran the last six km at 4:25 or so. And I wasn't lie-down-and-die shattered at the end. Thanks again for the advice - I'll aim to finish my remaining long runs hard too.

I don't know how much more training "towards the end of the marathon" I have ahead of me...I was planning on cutting back the mileage as of next weekend (maybe 14 or 15 at about 7:00 per mile). What's the consensus of you guru people on tapering - clearly there's a drop off in distance, and a couple of days of near-idleness coming up to the day itself (not the 60-km mountain cycle that I did the day before last year's half:o). But for the two weeks (and two weekends) up to it, should I still be training fairly hard (lots of 6:xx miles) or should I cut back from a 10+10+20 week to a 5+5+10, or what?

Apologies for asking you to run my life for me - I haven't a clue how to!:D

• Advertisement

ElectraX wrote: »
    That's great going! Especially on a mainly uphill route. Used to run out that way alot for my LSR's when training for the marathon last year...that hill from Vico Road/Victoria Rd up to the arch at Killiney Hill Road is a killer:p

Sorry, slow to respond...I have to confess to not taking that turn, but keeping on down to the sea beside Killiney beach, along past the Dart station and then up Military Road to Ballybrack, then into the linear park all the way home. The hard climbs are thus just the one out of Coliemore up to Sorrento Terrace and the one from Eddie Jordan's house (just after Sorrento, heading south). My excuse is that I like to see the sea if I have the option :)

Thanks, KC. Fingers crossed, I think I could have a good crack at sub-3 on a reasonable course now; I only needed 8 more on Sunday, at 5 minutes each, and ran the last six km at 4:25 or so. And I wasn't lie-down-and-die shattered at the end. Thanks again for the advice - I'll aim to finish my remaining long runs hard too.

I don't know how much more training "towards the end of the marathon" I have ahead of me...I was planning on cutting back the mileage as of next weekend (maybe 14 or 15 at about 7:00 per mile). What's the consensus of you guru people on tapering - clearly there's a drop off in distance, and a couple of days of near-idleness coming up to the day itself (not the 60-km mountain cycle that I did the day before last year's half:o). But for the two weeks (and two weekends) up to it, should I still be training fairly hard (lots of 6:xx miles) or should I cut back from a 10+10+20 week to a 5+5+10, or what?

Apologies for asking you to run my life for me - I haven't a clue how to!:D
    I can only speak for Pfitzinger and Douglas, which is where my own experience comes from. From three weeks out, you cut back your total weekly mileage by approximately 25-28% weekly (if my memory serves me correctly).

So if you were running a 60 mile week before taper, you would run 45, 33, and 25 miles (plus marathon).
    Long runs should come down by a corresponding factor. So for example, 20-22 miles pre-taper, 16 miles, 12-13 miles, Marathon.

The important thing is to maintain quality and intensity. Don't run even harder, because your legs are fresher with the lower mileage, maintain a consistent approach to training, with lesser mileage.

I can only speak for Pfitzinger and Douglas, which is where my own experience comes from. From three weeks out, you cut back your total weekly mileage by approximately 25-28% weekly (if my memory serves me correctly).

So if you were running a 60 mile week before taper, you would run 45, 33, and 25 miles (plus marathon).
    Long runs should come down by a corresponding factor. So for example, 20-22 miles pre-taper, 16 miles, 12-13 miles, Marathon.

Thanks, KC. That's great service. Given my lazy 40 mile weeks, that's 30 this week (to 28 March), 22 (to 4 April), 16 (to 10 April) + 26.2

What's odd is how little 30 miles seems, now that I've gotten used to the current regime. My wife accuses me of having ultra ambitions....but not next week.

It's the equinox! The days are again longer than the nights, so the part of the year it's actually worth living this far North has finally arrived. Whatever about sunshine, you can at least rely long summer days in Ireland, and I can't wait. Bring on the light, the long evenings with time to do stuff after work, the walking in hills until nine at night, the option to get up late, go cycling, come home, go for a run and still have light to sit out on the patio with a beer.

Yes, it's summer delirium all right...but we might get a few days like that.

Sorry, this is a training log? If we wanted a bull blog we could have gone elsewhere?

Yes, indeed. OK, today I took another of those recovery runs advised by the wise amongst us. As usual I felt stiff and sore starting, and the same later on. I did learn about indefinite detention of foreign nationals in Britain, but it didn't loosen out my calves any. The recovery run that leaves me all warm and loose and comfy has yet to happen. A good stretch and a hot shower later I still feel tender between knee and ankle (esp. on the left side) and a little dubious about ten miles tomorrow. That all said, I've felt the same after every other recovery run I've ever done (two so far), and still run well the next day.

So let's see what tomorrow brings. Compared to the many logs which are filling with tales of illness or injury, I'm pretty lucky with a slightly stiff calf.

Sneaky thoughts of going to Mallow at the weekend...but can't realistically see a sub-60 ten-miler on zero speed training...if the mid-week tens go well (1:03 or something like that sort of well) then maybe...

Some days you just don't feel right. There's a wave of temperatures, sore throats and headaches breaking over the household, and I feel it creeping up behind me. Attempts to keep sick kids in isolation and force them to face the wall when speaking to me aren't finding favour, for some reason :rolleyes:. I don't have the bug yet, but I've a nasty feeling it's in there and just waiting to strike....

Hypochondria aside, today's run was a tough one. Despite yesterday's recovery run, it was "wooden legs syndrome" from the start, and it only improved marginally. Even after 10km or so, when things are usually pretty loose, the actual placing of the foot on ground was uncomfortable - stiff calves, unhappy shins. A couple of hours later, both shins feel bruised all up the front, as if I'd be been kicked, and the calves feel tight and uncomfortable, despite a pretty comprehensive stretch. There's no discernible injury, thank goodness - all muscles do stretch without pain, so maybe there's just lactic leftovers.

Maybe I needed a longer rest after Sunday's exertions - I'll do nothing tomorrow and maybe Thursday, and likely scratch any plans of a spin down to Mallow.

All the same, 1:06:30 going a little carefully (really only hit my stride for a couple of miles at most) isn't too shabby for ten miles, so at least there's no disastrous loss of pace. That means my overall confidence isn't bruised, though I am concerned about catching a dose of nasties off the kids....

Beautiful day. Calves still sore from yesterday, but not so painful to touch, so hopeful of improvement.

Today's aim - spend less time on Boards and more time actually working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You could have written my log entry for me yesterday (even though my jaunt was less than half the distance of yours!)
    Beautiful day. Calves still sore from yesterday, but not so painful to touch, so hopeful of improvement.

Today's aim - spend less time on Boards and more time actually working!

I was actually wondering as I was running last night whether there are any neruo-surgeon marathon runners out there? Judging by my distractions lately, I’m hoping the answer to that is no. If there are, I really hope they are more diligent than I’m finding possible right now. No one is going to die on my desk in the run up to Connemara. I may lose my job however….

claralara wrote: »
    You could have written my log entry for me yesterday (even though my jaunt was less than half the distance of yours!)

I was actually wondering as I was running last night whether there are any neruo-surgeon marathon runners out there? Judging by my distractions lately, I’m hoping the answer to that is no. If there are, I really hope they are more diligent than I’m finding possible right now. No one is going to die on my desk in the run up to Connemara. I may lose my job however….

Ah well, it's lunchtime now and you're allowed to take a short break. But it's weeks to the run, and the amount of distraction yesterday (I'll just take a quick peek and see how everyone else's training is going...) was savage - can't afford that for weeks at a time :o

No definite time today, as I didn't charge the Garmin properly after the last run. But did the usual ten-mile circuit and felt pretty comfy on it. Maybe a minute or two slower than usual, maybe not.

That's the last of the mid-week ten-mile runs, as we slip into taper mode. Next week's will be 11 or 12 km runs, likely just in the linear park. So my expeditions into Rich Mans Land in Killiney and Dalkey are at an end.

Fabulous out there today - sea as calm as I've seen, sun beating down, not much wind. Perfect running weather, as the overall temperature wasn't too high. The usual half-litre before take-off was just right. Took it handy for the first couple of miles through the park - after feeling so poor the day before yesterday, I was ready to cut short and head home if things got painful. Fortunately got to the Ballybrack end of the park without discomfort, in fact with a nice looseness and reasonable feeling of leg strength - so over the main road, through the village and down Military Road to the sea at Killiney Dart Station. It's a sharp uphill from there, but once your'e up, it's downhill for a long way, and there's no serious climbing left except from Glasthule to Tivoli Road. Feels easier than my usual direction.

I'm well relieved - I felt so dodgy two days ago that I thought I'd perhaps injured myself and would need a trip to a physio - not the ideal two weeks out. But if today's anything to go by, I should have a pleasant enough run on Sunday and that'll put my head in the right place for Conn. Little tweak in the left hip after the run, but I don't think it's anything (touch wood).

Thinking about hyration - Ray says there'll be energy drink at M9, M19 and M23 (IIRC) on the day... I fear that means a few gulps from a cup. I'm pretty used to getting in about 2 litres over the course of a 20-miler, and if the weather is warm I'll want that much on the day. I'm also pretty keen on some sort of sugar mix (Torq is my usual tipple)...so perhaps I need to find some handy way to carry 250 mls worth of Torq, and to get it into a sports bottle of water...I have a vision of the paper twists that gunpowder used to come in, back in muzzle-loader days. More to think about....

sorry, he's rambling. Back to work.

Your ramblings keep me sane! Sounds like a lovely run.

I will be sporting my fashion forward camelbak with 500ml of lucozade sport and a few gels. It looks ridiculous but it’s done the trick getting me around the long runs. Then again, I’ll be on my feet for about an hour and a half longer than you…:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're too kind. :o

On the hydration front, your solution sounds sensible, especially if you've used it before. Personally I'm not mad keen to carry a lot of liquids - the sloshing puts me off. Something around the waist, like a long skinny belt-shaped camelbak, might work for me, but I don't have one and have never seen one.

I might drive the course on the Saturday and set up some stashes.

I do recall the half last year, where the heat absolutely whipped me at the bottom of the last hill. Very miserable - I'm not going there again!

What's your goal time for the run, if you have one? I suspect most of us have a "public" goal time, a "won't be too disappointed with" goal time and a "dream" goal time. My dream goal time is sub-3, but in all honesty I can't see that happening unless I feel like superman at mile 16, coming into the flat section between the two main hills. If I go over 3:30 I'll be a bit disappointed, I must confess, so that's my public goal time. Depending on the day, the other goal bounces around between the others :)

My original goal was just to finish in whatever time it so took – I started with an ‘anything under five and a half hours once I cross the finish line’ target. I only really thought about revised goals after you mentioned it yesterday so I suppose I’ll commit to the following: - (they are so far off what you’re aiming for…don’t laugh!)
    - over 4.45 – I’ll be a nightmare to be around. Forever.
    - 4.30 – 4.45 – I’ll take it as an achievement and reassess for DCM to make some serious improvements.
    - 4.15 – 4.30 – within the goal boundaries – I’d be delighted with this for my first marathon (especially in Connemara)
    - 4.15 or less – my 4.15 is your 3.00 – dream goal.
    The number one objective is to enjoy it though –the worst outcome possible will be if I never want to run again after it!

claralara wrote: »
    My original goal was just to finish in whatever time it so took – I started with an ‘anything under five and a half hours once I cross the finish line’ target. I only really thought about revised goals after you mentioned it yesterday so I suppose I’ll commit to the following: - (they are so far off what you’re aiming for…don’t laugh!)
    - over 4.45 – I’ll be a nightmare to be around. Forever.
    - 4.30 – 4.45 – I’ll take it as an achievement and reassess for DCM to make some serious improvements.
    - 4.15 – 4.30 – within the goal boundaries – I’d be delighted with this for my first marathon (especially in Connemara)
    - 4.15 or less – my 4.15 is your 3.00 – dream goal.
    The number one objective is to enjoy it though –the worst outcome possible will be if I never want to run again after it!

You've the right attitude - it's not a venue for speed or time really (though of course we all obsess about it, regardless, and most of this post is about speed :)). It's a really different experience to DCM, though, so I wouldn't try to learn too much for DCM from Connemara. What I mean is...in Conn there's almost no support, and in Dublin it's a big help, especially for newbies; ... in Conn there are big hills, which have a huge mental and a substantial physical impact, and in Dublin there are none. So a really tough day in Conn (e.g. walking up the hills) doesn't imply a similar experience in Dublin. A good day in Connemara does mean that you can have Dublin for breakfast, if you train properly.

What I've found useful over the last few days is to actually get some proper plans in place - if I want to run in (say) 4:20, that's 260 minutes and so ten minutes a mile (a 10:00 pace). The last half has three tough miles in it, so ideally I'd want to be a bit ahead of myself by the time I get to Leenana. A 9:30 pace (still a gentle enough jog, if you think that a 15:00 pace is a brisk walk) would get me to Leenane with 13 x 0.5 or 6 minutes "to spare" over a 10:00 pace, and mean that I could go at 12:00 per mile for three hard miles.

Assuming I want to start gently, I might aim for 10:00 miles for the first two or three, then pick it up a bit so that I hit Leenane with my average 9:30.

Having a plan like this helps me not to start too fast,and to give me a "sanity check" on my pace - the first and best bit of advice I got about the full marathon in Conn was to leave plenty in the tank for the second half.

Enjoyment...hmm... personally I expect occasional flashes of "what a great place to run", or "what a nice day", but the real pleasure is in the achievement at the end..a bit like beating yourself with a stick so that you can enjoy it when you stop!

Amazing how much more work you get done, if you don't take a run for an hour (plus stretch, plus wash, plus food) in the middle of the day.

And to be honest, while I feel strong enough, I don't think it's any harm to have a rest...will run 15 or so miles tomorrow or more likely Sunday. A lot depends on how much better the kids get, and how much more "me time" the wife can reasonably tolerate!

Have a few friends over for food tonight, so no doubt will eat and drink too much...liking those Samuel Adams Boston Beers, even if they are American (not anti-yank, just would prefer to buy Irish if there only was an Irish lager I liked).

best of luck to anyone who reads this and is heading to Mallow.

There does seem to be a bit of a bug doing the rounds in my house. Not feeling 101%, but not actually sick either. Slept in v.late after dinner party last night, then basically slobbed around. Height of exercise was a trip to a bookshop.

Compared with the epic tales of Krusty and others on the Ultra, plus the Mallow excitement, my weekend is pretty dull:)

Hummed and hawed over this; still not fully healthy, not fully unhealthy. But I didn't want to miss this important part of the taper towards Conn. Weather was lovely (apparently we're going to lose the weather shortly, but it's been great!), lots of other runners about.

Between the usual family shillyshally and the late start, my original plan to drive to Wicklow for the run was replaced by an extended version of my mid-week ten-miler, with extra loops of the graveyard in Deansgrange, the parks behind the house, and the coastal cul-de-sacs down around Killiney Beach.

Took one of those SIS isotonic gels, just to see how it went down - very liquid compared to some others, almost a drink. I think it gave me a bit of a push, but it wasn't very long-lasting...by the time I was in my last mile or so I was down at 5 minute km pace...can't be having that!

Anyway, didn't feel as strong as last Sunday. Wouldn't say there's another ten miles in there yesterday. But also didn't get to drink at all over 15 miles and it was sunny enough that you'd notice. Hyrdration is going to be a big issue on the day.

Happy enough with pace, in that I didn't put much effort into running fast, and the climbs were generally pretty good.

Rest day to day, 7 miles tomorrow, all going well.

No running to report yet, but it's early days yet, and I'm just starting my work day with a quick scan to see how everyone else's training is going. It's an odd sort of a community - personalities seem to come through in the postings, so you get the impression you "sort of know" someone, but they could be completely different from what I expect.

Looking back over the last few weeks, this is certainly the most I've ever trained for a marathon, or any other event except maybe a mountaineering expedition. Which is odd, given that a PB certainly isn't on the cards in Conn, and my race plan, such as it is, is nowhere near the sub-3 that would be needed. If Conn goes well, Kildare might be a PB prospect, but it's not Kildare I'm training for just now. Despite a lingering bit of a cold, I do feel stronger than prior to any other marathon (I've only done three, so that's not a big sample), so hopefully it'll go ok.

Looking at the recent postings by Krusty and Mithril, I somewhat regret not giving the WW Ultra a go. It seems an epic undertaking, and the sort of event that you'd need to dig deep for. Very appealing. Maybe next year, in the event that I'm as fit then as I am now.

Sorry, just rambling this morning, sort of getting my head straight. And also giving myself that little nudge towards getting out for a run at lunchtime - 7.5 miles planned for today and for Thursday. But I guess that's the joy of a log - you can waffle away without feeling you're imposing too much, unlikely the quality-assured environment of the main ART forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Looking at the recent postings by Krusty and Mithril, I somewhat regret not giving the WW Ultra a go.

Given how you went on the recce a few weeks ago you would love the ultra. If you don't fall out of love with running between now and the 2012 incarnation I suggest you give it some serious consideration. I think you'd do very well.

You've the right attitude - it's not a venue for speed or time really (though of course we all obsess about it, regardless, and most of this post is about speed :)). It's a really different experience to DCM, though, so I wouldn't try to learn too much for DCM from Connemara. What I mean is...in Conn there's almost no support, and in Dublin it's a big help, especially for newbies; ... in Conn there are big hills, which have a huge mental and a substantial physical impact, and in Dublin there are none. So a really tough day in Conn (e.g. walking up the hills) doesn't imply a similar experience in Dublin. A good day in Connemara does mean that you can have Dublin for breakfast, if you train properly.

What I've found useful over the last few days is to actually get some proper plans in place - if I want to run in (say) 4:20, that's 260 minutes and so ten minutes a mile (a 10:00 pace). The last half has three tough miles in it, so ideally I'd want to be a bit ahead of myself by the time I get to Leenana. A 9:30 pace (still a gentle enough jog, if you think that a 15:00 pace is a brisk walk) would get me to Leenane with 13 x 0.5 or 6 minutes "to spare" over a 10:00 pace, and mean that I could go at 12:00 per mile for three hard miles.

Assuming I want to start gently, I might aim for 10:00 miles for the first two or three, then pick it up a bit so that I hit Leenane with my average 9:30.

Having a plan like this helps me not to start too fast,and to give me a "sanity check" on my pace - the first and best bit of advice I got about the full marathon in Conn was to leave plenty in the tank for the second half.

Enjoyment...hmm... personally I expect occasional flashes of "what a great place to run", or "what a nice day", but the real pleasure is in the achievement at the end..a bit like beating yourself with a stick so that you can enjoy it when you stop!

I think I'll spend an hour or two with the calculator trying to figure out some proper plans alright. It may send me deeper into the depths of the crazy though...

I just keep telling myself it'll be fun... It will be fun. Oh christ its gonna be hell! Just get me over that finish line! :eek:

• Advertisement

jeffontour wrote: »
    Given how you went on the recce a few weeks ago you would love the ultra. If you don't fall out of love with running between now and the 2012 incarnation I suggest you give it some serious consideration. I think you'd do very well.
    +1. You enjoy the trails and hill runs, so you'd be well up for the challenge. Hydration could be a problem if you're used to 2L on a 20 mile run, but there are a few (three) stops along the way where you can drop off supplies.

The one solid piece of advice I would give you is that you need to get yourself off to a decent off-license. There are a multitude of good Irish beers to choose from, if you just know where to look. Dungarvan Brewing Company's Helvick Gold Blond Ale is a personal favourite. Then there's Carlow's Cúrim, wheat beer and IPA. Porterhouse's Hersbrucker, Temple Brau and Chiller. Trouble Brewing's Ór (haven't seen this in bottles though). Galway Hooker will soon be sold in bottles too. Lots of choice. You just got to find 'em. Holland's off-license in Bray, or Deveney's in Dundrum have a good supply.

Best of luck with the last couple of weeks of training. The hard work is done. Just keep ticking over.

Advertisement