Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought it was a half they had in Connemara?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

claralara wrote: »
    I think I'll spend an hour or two with the calculator trying to figure out some proper plans alright. It may send me deeper into the depths of the crazy though...

I just keep telling myself it'll be fun... It will be fun. Oh christ its gonna be hell! Just get me over that finish line! :eek:

(Finished writing this, then thought that in fact this applies to more or less all of us doing this run, not just ClaraLara....myself included:))

Seriously, it'll be great. Don't wish it away, it may be the best thing you do this year, so savour it. Whatever happens, it'll be an achievement to look back on with pride. Even if you injure yourself and have to drop out, you've done a pretty fair job of preparing, and that really is something to pat yourself on the back for.

If the weather is bad, it'll be tough to enjoy - four hours in a wet tshirt and shorts in a headwind is not actually heaven. But the last four years the weather has been lovely (too hot, last year), and you'll be running at a relaxed pace (no pressure, PB guaranteed) through some of the loveliest scenery in Ireland.

Looking at the results from earlier years (Connemarathon.com) you can see that there are a LOT of marathon runners who run quite a bit slower than you realistically can. So you're not gonna be last, or anything like it. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

On the calculator front, I just think this is a good idea so you don't find yourself at the start line thinking "what now?" - that way lies going too hard, too soon. An attitude of "I'll see how it goes on the day" is commendably flexible, but some sort of idea of how you'll go about the run is certainly worthwhile....you can always slow down or speed up, should the urge take you.

Hope you're tapering well.

+1. You enjoy the trails and hill runs, so you'd be well up for the challenge. Hydration could be a problem if you're used to 2L on a 20 mile run, but there are a few (three) stops along the way where you can drop off supplies.

The one solid piece of advice I would give you is that you need to get yourself off to a decent off-license. There are a multitude of good Irish beers to choose from, if you just know where to look. Dungarvan Brewing Company's Helvick Gold Blond Ale is a personal favourite. Then there's Carlow's Cúrim, wheat beer and IPA. Porterhouse's Hersbrucker, Temple Brau and Chiller. Trouble Brewing's Ór (haven't seen this in bottles though). Galway Hooker will soon be sold in bottles too. Lots of choice. You just got to find 'em. Holland's off-license in Bray, or Deveney's in Dundrum have a good supply.

Best of luck with the last couple of weeks of training. The hard work is done. Just keep ticking over.

Hmmm, a post of two halves.

Part 1: thank you very much. I'm greatly encouraged. Hydration certainly is an issue, and I might look at a few sneaky stashes wherever the route hits a road, or even following a little MTB trip the day before. I was happy enough on the recce, but that was only 20 miles, one of you gentlemen generously gave me a drink and I found that water bottle on the side of djouce (hope whoever owned that isn't reading how I slobbered over the rim of his water bottle :D),.... so some prep on that front would be needed all right.

Part 2: are you sure you didn't mean this for ClaraLara and her band of merry men? :) Definitely some food (or drink) for thought there!

Despite hypochondriac feelings of impending flu, dark grey clouds and rain showers, I dragged my sorry self out the door for the next step of my taper. Seven miles today, seven miles Thursday, that's the plan.

Since my usual lunchtime spin is 10K, prior to ramping up for the current running frenzy, I just did that and added a few squiggles and loops around football pitches and what not. So down to Deansgrange, along the linear park, into Kilgobbin/Kilgobbet (can I remember? not a bit of it!) and down to the Tesco at Ballybrack. BBC Saving Species on the radio, rabbitting on about the difference between weasels and stoats and the impact of prehistoric volcanic eruptions on the gene pools of clouded leopards...certainly passes the time.

Went pretty hard to start with, first few kms were sub-4-minute, but got too hot after a while (dressed for rain and flu, didn't really get any), eased up a bit at the end. Got a bit thirsty too - didn't prehydrate for this run and noticed the difference. Certainly there's plenty in the tank, but that's how it should be. Managed to stop the Garmin after 6km (the right hand button is stop/start, not Lap!), so no exact time, but I image in or around the 50 minutes mark.

I do feel I ought to have gone a bit slower - this was more like speedwork and less like recovery.

While running I got to thinking about the details of what to eat in the two days before the marathon. Everyone says "pasta load", but there's surely more to it than that...off to start a thread on the grown-up forum, to tap the knowledge of the wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Kilgobbet. Hope to get out there for lunch soon myself.

Enjoy the taper and best of luck with Conn. Enjoy the experience. Theres nothing quite like the Conn marathon. Dingle is pretty special but Conn has the X factor.

Kilgobbet. Hope to get out there for lunch soon myself.

Enjoy the taper and best of luck with Conn. Enjoy the experience. Theres nothing quite like the Conn marathon. Dingle is pretty special but Conn has the X factor.

Thank you. If you overtake a heavy breather with an armband ipod and red headphones and a 1970s Garmin (clothing varies), that's me.

Am really looking forward to the Conn run - it's my absolute favourite part of the country, and the Inagh Valley is a great great road. This'll be my first marathon-for-fun, rather than trying for PB, so I'm all set for a pleasant time. I've also actually done some training this time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

brownian wrote: »
    personalities seem to come through in the postings, so you get the impression you "sort of know" someone,
    ClaraLara and her band of merry men? :)

Uh oh...:rolleyes:

Joy of quoting out of context :)

Another rest day...sheesh. The sun is out, the sky is blue, the cold hasn't taken a terminal grip on my lungs yet...but I'm in, hacking away on the keyboard. Doing a bit of babysitting today in parallel with work and lunchtime, as the Younger is still out of school with temperatures, coughs and all the rest. The Germ Fountain, the running side of my caring-parent brain might call her.:)

I'm determined to spend less time on Boards today - you tend to get sucked into other people's logs, ideas and inputs (much of them well appreciated, don't get me wrong), but really I could check out my many threads of interest in ten minutes...it's the incessant checking-back-to-see-what's-new that disrupts the work.

With that thought, I'm outta here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Thank you. If you overtake a heavy breather with an armband ipod and red headphones and a 1970s Garmin (clothing varies), thats me

Hi brownian...I might b picking ur quote up wrong but as far as I know Ipods and the like are not permitted in Conn... Im doing the Ultra and am still trying 2 figure out how i'l get around without Rammstein, Toto , Pearl Jam etc etc :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

liamo123 wrote: »
    Im doing the Ultra and am still trying 2 figure out how i'l get around without Rammstein, Toto , Pearl Jam etc etc :eek:
    You're allowed to sing to yourself. And there are a lot of lonely stretches on the ultra route, so you shouldn't get too many comments. :)

• Advertisement

You're allowed to sing to yourself. And there are a lot of lonely stretches on the ultra route, so you shouldn't get too many comments. :)

Well I've a few days to learn off this :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmz0ficRVI

Hi brownian...I might b picking ur quote up wrong but as far as I know Ipods and the like are not permitted in Conn... Im doing the Ultra and am still trying 2 figure out how i'l get around without Rammstein, Toto , Pearl Jam etc etc :eek:

Hi Liam - the ipod thing was how I might be found jogging in Kilgobbet park by SloggerJogger, should we happen to both be there on the same lunchtime.

You're right about the Conn ban on ipods - not something I'd agree with entirely on the ultra (if only to block out the sounds of others "moaning with every breath" ;)), but something I do intend to comply with all the same. But I'm only going for 26.2, of course. Sounds like Krusty is the Clown to be near, if you're desperate for musak on the hoof. He dances up hills pretty handy, but I've not yet heard him sing :)

Dunno about that Rammstein behaviour - yer man sings like he's just done the ultra, dressed in that leather clobber. "You smell so good from Folk-Ball"...I have my doubts that anyone in that crowd smelt great, TBH.

On a good run, I sometimes feel like this, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great times in your runs there. Had a good laugh at your post in the index thread. Best of luck with the rest of your training and the race in Conn.

The taper continues.

Today's run: Conditions looked very windy, but in fact wasn't too bad - a few minutes of headwind and the rest pretty neutral. Garmin went on the blink (and seems to be refusing to recover, which is poor timing in more ways than one), but the phone app did a fair job. Shame you can't actually SEE it when you're running, though.

Went out a bit fast, then stopped at 5.5km to check progress and time; decided that as I was stopped anyway I'd have a bit of a stretch, so lost a minute or two there. There are a few niggles around, and I'll need to do ten minutes of lying on the table to stretch my ITB later. I'm trying to be sensible, running on grass as much as possible, stopping for the odd stretch, keeping the lungs under control. Success is mixed - running slowly is hard. Better learn by next week :)

The ha'penny place: Took a read of Thomas Bubendorfer's Ultra race reports, when I should have been working on an EU project proposal (sorry Thomas, that's not a huge endorsement of your writing skills, when you consider my alternative). No, really, they're very impressive, and they really take the wind out of your sails when you've (I've) been chest-thumping about "not just doing the half this year"....thanks for sharing these, as they've helped to put things in perspective.

Though, one thought that leaps to mind is "it doesn't matter how daft you are, there's always someone worse":). Maybe next year, though the WW ultra might be more my thing, as it's offroad.

Race Plans: I've been thinking some more about pace on the day. Basically wondering if I went at at 3:00 pace (4:15 mins per km) for the first 20kms, slowed a bit on the main hills, and then tried to pick it back to 4:15s for the flatter sections of the second half of the race, would I blow up so badly that I'd have been better off going out easier (at say, 4:22 or 7 min miles, or even at 4:30 or 4:40) ? If you don't go out hard enough, you'll never make the time back in the second half...but if you go out too hard, you may blow up. I've got more training done than for any other long run (including my 2:59 DCM), so maybe I should be more confident. My mid-week ten-milers were consistent enough sub-4:10km pace, while my last 20-miler was 140 minutes, or 4:22 km pace (though on the flat and very well hydrated). Hmm, if I lost ten minutes on the hills and came in at 3:10, that'd be a great result. That's equivalent to 4:30 average pace.

Ah, the brain goes round in circles. Maybe the weather will be lousy and then it'll just be a question of getting around...:)

Sorry, a bit incoherent today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can almost smell the taper madness from this log :p
    Are you joining us on sunday?

I have heard that woddle and Shels4ever might even be making an appearance....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can almost smell the taper madness from this log :p
    Are you joining us on sunday?

I have heard that woddle and Shels4ever might even be making an appearance....

Yes...probably a fair diagnosis. Of course, it's only to make everyone else feel better about theirs :D

Hope to get to the Park on Sunday, but all the usual variables associated with family life apply.

Race Plans: I've been thinking some more about pace on the day. Basically wondering if I went at at 3:00 pace (4:15 mins per km) for the first 20kms, slowed a bit on the main hills, and then tried to pick it back to 4:15s for the flatter sections of the second half of the race, would I blow up so badly that I'd have been better off going out easier (at say, 4:22 or 7 min miles, or even at 4:30 or 4:40) ? If you don't go out hard enough, you'll never make the time back in the second half...but if you go out too hard, you may blow up. I've got more training done than for any other long run (including my 2:59 DCM), so maybe I should be more confident. My mid-week ten-milers were consistent enough sub-4:10km pace, while my last 20-miler was 140 minutes, or 4:22 km pace (though on the flat and very well hydrated). Hmm, if I lost ten minutes on the hills and came in at 3:10, that'd be a great result. That's equivalent to 4:30 average pace.

Ah, the brain goes round in circles. Maybe the weather will be lousy and then it'll just be a question of getting around...:)

Sorry, a bit incoherent today!

That makes perfect sense to me tough Im sort off all over the shop with race plans myself ..... Had a quick look through ur log and IMO 3.10 is definately well within ur reach ( tough might b a tad difficult in ur Superman costume :eek: )... Post Conn when uve decided on ur next marathon mission don't forget to download a bit of Rammstein to assist u on ur way :D

That makes perfect sense to me tough Im sort off all over the shop with race plans myself ..... Had a quick look through ur log and IMO 3.10 is definately well within ur reach ( tough might b a tad difficult in ur Superman costume :eek: )... Post Conn when uve decided on ur next marathon mission don't forget to download a bit of Rammstein to assist u on ur way :D

Thanks, liamo. My friends discourage me from wearing my kacks on the outside these days.

Rammstein - if I need something to run away from, maybe :) No doubt, like many fine things (Guinness, chili, strong coffee) they take a little time to appreciate fully.

Picked up a few niggles yesterday in my otherwise pretty-standard taper run.
    1. Pain on the outside of the right knee - that's ITB for sure, so I did a decent ten-minute stretch last night and now it feels worse
    2. Pain in left knee - no idea what this is, feels somewhat ITBish but am leaving it alone to see will it fix itself
    3. Pain deep between muscles in right calf - this feels like a strain. It might just go away when warmed up and running, or it might stop me dead.

All round not a great improvement. Resting today, resting tomorrow, and will see about Phoenix park run on Sunday; will only run if much better than now.

Telling myself that had a similar panic attack about shin splints and they just went away - steady breathing, steady breathing.:)

None the less, feeling a bit put out, and somewhat worried. Have booked a session with the famous Ciaran Fitz at earliest opportunity...but the race is close. Argh.:(

None the less, feeling a bit put out, and somewhat worried. Have booked a session with the famous Ciaran Fitz at earliest opportunity...but the race is close. Argh.:(
    He'll fix you. If he can't, it just wasn't meant to be. :)
    Hope it goes ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Exact same boat myself, lots of resting and crossing fingers - going insane..

Good luck, if that bloke you mention in your last port is indeed a miracle worker, please PM me his details :)

Lets hope we can get thru it and laugh at ourselves and our panic attacks after the race is done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice to meet you yesterday. I hope the pace and or the conversation wasn't too painful... Only one more week to keep it together now. If I get to the start line with my sanity intact it'll be a miracle! :)

Decided to risk my injuries, and put in the last of the "long" runs. Met up with a bunch of internet reprobates (you know who you are - names omitted to protect the guilty) in the Phoenix Park. An issue with such Net meetings is recognition - this lot were easily spotted due to the prominent brandishing of a banana:)

Run itself was handy - gentle pace, flattish ground, a few small hills. The chat certainly makes the miles fly by. Took one hill a little faster than group pace, to see how the calf tear reacted - gave me no issues. That all said, am a little stiff today, with a bit of right knee pain.

Must confess, I'm not feeling that "bubbling with excess energy" thing you're meant to get when tapering. But will try to eat sensibly (last night's pizza and beers will be expunged from the records) and sleep well for the week.

Two more runs - 10k each, tomorrow and Thursday. Saturday might run 4 or 5 km.

I have never felt 'bubbling with energy' when tapering. More of 'bubbling with pent-up rage'. :) I have also never lined up at a marathon start line feeling well rested and ready for a race, but hey, I've yet to have a bad marathon. Don't let it get to you.

I have never felt 'bubbling with energy' when tapering. More of 'bubbling with pent-up rage'. :) I have also never lined up at a marathon start line feeling well rested and ready for a race, but hey, I've yet to have a bad marathon. Don't let it get to you.

Could'nt agree more with above... I find the week before a marathon a right pain in the ass TBH... Take the next few days easy and come Sunday morning give it a lash :eek:

Thanks, Gary! I have actually been in pretty poor form (in terms of patience, irritability, focus on work) over the last week or two. I didn't put it down to tapering, but hey, it's a good excuse :)

Seeing Ciaran Fitz tomorrow...having jogged ten miles yesterday I feel a bit of a fraud, but hopefully he'll find some way to make my visit agonising worthwhile. There is a smorgasbord of niggles to choose from.

What are your thoughts on final weeks - just jog around to keep the legs moving, or do a bit of tempo stuff at the same time?

Forgot about this, but for completeness...

thought I'd better see how the legs were, before heading out with the boardsies on the Sunday. Was down in Wicklow visiting in-laws (my folks are from there too, "shop local" is the family motto), so spun down to the new carpark at the Murrough, on the coast just N of Wicklow Town. I've never run here, despite growing up only six miles away. When I got to change, found I'd left my runners at home.

But jogged a mile up the coast anyway, just to see how the legs were. And a mile back. All was in working order, if not exactly Haile Geb. standard.

Some really nice running there - definite potential for a "joy of trail" entry, even if it's VERY flat. Took a little side-path inland and found another little path running along the river (Vartry)...presumably this goes up to the Broad Lough, but that's another day's exploring.

What are your thoughts on final weeks - just jog around to keep the legs moving, or do a bit of tempo stuff at the same time?
    Very little hard running this week. Skip the tempo, particularly with the niggles.
    The programs I typically follow would usually have a 7 mile run on the Wednesday. Three mile easy warm-up, followed by two miles at planned marathon pace, followed by two miles warm-down. I usually love this session, as the PMP miles should feel really easy. The rest of the runs are recovery run pace (4 or 5 miles @ 8 minute/mile).

The Friday or Saturday do an easy 4 or 5 miles with around 5 or 6 strides (pick up the pace for 100m before easing back to recovery run pace, while concentrating on good running form). You shouldn't be breaking a sweat this week. Wash the hands regularly, and stay away from diseased children!

Very little hard running this week. Skip the tempo, particularly with the niggles.
    The programs I typically follow would usually have a 7 mile run on the Wednesday. Three mile easy warm-up, followed by two miles at planned marathon pace, followed by two miles warm-down. I usually love this session, as the PMP miles should feel really easy. The rest of the runs are recovery run pace (4 or 5 miles @ 8 minute/mile).

The Friday or Saturday do an easy 4 or 5 miles with around 5 or 6 strides (pick up the pace for 100m before easing back to recovery run pace, while concentrating on good running form). You shouldn't be breaking a sweat this week. Wash the hands regularly, and stay away from diseased children!

excellent plan. The rugrats are healthy again, so that's one less source of infection. Washing hands - that's a bit revolutionary:)

As usual, thanks for sensible advice!

• Advertisement

Phew.

A run that was short, easy, enjoyable and didn't end in worries.

Decided to run straight after breakfast today, rather than at lunchtime, as the afternoon is a bit disrupted anyway. Thought I might try one of those "tempo" things, as they seem to be just my usual run, with an easier start and finish.

First 1.3 km at about 5 mins pace, to reach the linear park in Deansgrange. Then six km at 4:00 pace (with occasional 3:45 moments that were reined back as soon as I noticed them, and the odd 4:15 moment crossing roads and so on). Finally did my best to slow down for the last km to 5:00 pace, but still found I was running 4:15 to 4:20 when I actually checked.

Couple of key issues
    - too hot in thin cycle jersey - a singlet is essential if the weather is any way warm
    - didn't hydrate before running, and got away with it only because of short distance run. 10 miles today without a drink beforehand would be rough, so must hydrate well on Saturday and Sunday pre-race.
    - legs still too hot - maybe will stop off today and buy a pair of those indecent slash-sided shorts. That'd cool your jets. Given my patented plastic Decathlon underwear, I'll be entirely decent.

Very nice to feel relaxed and positive after a run at "proper" pace, even if this run was somewhat at odds with the words of the Clown.

Advertisement