Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought it was a half they had in Connemara?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Best of luck, I will say hello at the start if I see you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck tomorrow, looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Enjoy your day and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good day. Had a great run. Delighted if somewhat surprised to run a pb.

Full details on Tuesday, when the results are online.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats, savage time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

A Connemara sub3 - well done indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Incredible time. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

brownian wrote: »

Superb running, particularly in Connemara on a hot day. Not entirely surprised though! Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great stuff brownian. Serious running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done, thats fantastic. PB's in Connemara are something to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats brilliant - well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Thats absoulely brillant running on a course like that brownian... That must give u serious confidence.... Where 2 next :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on a brill run and PB

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Great stuff, looks like the logical next step is the ultra.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Brilliant stuff. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great run! I'm with Krusty though, you showed your cards a little when you bounded up Prince Willie's Seat towards the end of that recce!;)

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Brownian. stop sanbagging and tell us what you ran? I told you sub 3 was a formality :rolleyes:

Yet another race report. Stop me if you've heard this already.

You've probably seen all the taper madness earlier in this thread, so I won't mention it again. But sure enough, Saturday came around and I ran a gentle 6km as a "loosener", ending with a new twinge in the left calf. The usual conflict of stretch versus massage versus don't-annoy-it and the usual solution of a bit of all three.

Didn't feel too bad on Sunday - unlike some of the unfortunates who've posted their reports I didn't have an all-night party over my head, nor lots of race scenarios inside it. I had a single beer and a plate of rice and got a decent night's kip. Two small bowls of muesli and a banana, and I was all set.

Mrs B dropped me off in the Inagh valley about 10:00 -did a few easy stretches and jogged about ten yards, clapped the ultras through (thinking of SJ and his following Mick Rice last year) and before you know it the run was on. Had been hoping to meet one or two more of the boards people at the start, but in 500-600 bodies it's not easy, so an opportunity was missed there.

Weather was perfect - gentle tail wind, cool enough, overcast. Dumped a penney's fleece at the start, wore a fleece hat for half a mile until properly warm, then it was singlet and shorts all the way.

Met ShotgunMCOS a short while in...he spun me some tale of a long training run at a handy pace...his results tell their own story. Respect.

I'm sorry to say that most of the rest of this race was uneventful. So skip the rest unless you're bothered!

In terms of chunks
    - first few miles were flat and handy. Hit 10km at about 41 minutes, emerging from the valley onto the main road.
    - uphills the church weren't too bad. Met an ultra from wexford, and focussed on not trying to catch the ten or so marathoners strung out ahead
    - downhill to leenane was as lovely as expected. Ran with another marathoner for one or two of these miles, then left him to attack the hills
    - first main hill was long and steep but was feeling good, well hyrated and strong. U2 a nice touch.
    - very conscious of M13-M20 being the key to a good run - delighted to find them easier than ever I have on the half. Ground them out at about 4:10 to 4:20. Passed one more marathoner and was passed by one in an orange mesh top, looking very strong indeed. First few halfers came through, though the main big group never caught me. I'd been worried about congestion in Leenane, but in fact managed to pre-empt it, which was good.
    - The Maam valley to Keanes has always been hard for me. Was handy. Took my gels, drank my drinks, moved the legs.
    - The big hill was long, with the odd bit of headwind. But was mentally in a good place, with a feasible plan for sub-3.
    - The last mile was as long as ever, but finished well enough.

Mental traffic, such as it was, was restricted to
    - pace checking - for some reason I had this notion of 4:11 as my ideal pace, 4:30 as the slowest uphill pace unless things were getting really ugly, 4:00 as the fastest I wanted to see myself doing, unless steeply downhill, and 4:20 as an ok pace during the second half. Don't know where these numbers came from, but I was pretty religious about them and they suited me on the day.
    - telling myself not to try to catch or keep up with other runners (especially half-ers) but to run my own race on my own terms, at my own pace. I do tend to try to catch people, but on Sunday this messed up the pace terribly, so I generally behaved and just let people stay 100m ahead.
    - thinking how much easier this was than last year, when I had a poor half-marathon in which I overheated, under-trained and eventually walked in places.
    - taking regular gels and drinking lots
    - looking at the scenery. Connemara is a fantastic location, and a lovely place to run. The clouds hid the best of the hills, but they kept the temperature just where I wanted it.
    - marvelling at the ultras - that's serious running. I met the same Mick Rice at his 30-mile mark, where he was clipping along at about 4:10 or so per km and looking pretty relaxed. I wouldn't say he finished much behind me!

A highlight for me were the general sense of being in control and on a pace, rather than just trying to go as fast as possible for as long as possible. This is something that I owe pretty much entirely to the boards community, so thank you again to all the many who have provided input and advice - I was listening, and it helped.

Mandatory hill thoughts - I thought both the big hills were pretty handy compared to doing them in the half. By the time you hit them, with 13 miles under the shoes, you have a pace, you're warm and in the zone. Spun up the first one at something like 5:00 pace (all figures per km, sorry), exchanging blown kisses with Bono. The music on both hills was great - something to repeat next year, imho. The second (how) hill was of course longer and a bit harder, but at the bottom I'd checked my time for the first time, and seen to my surprise that I had four miles to go at 2:27. So mentally I was cruising - so long as I kept the pace well about 6:00 per km, I'd get in under 3 hours, which would be a miracle.

Running down the hill was tough. I put a fair amount of work into the hill, trying to keep the pace up. There were two other full-marathon guys some distance ahead; I'd been seeing them all day, and had stopped myself from trying to catch them. I deliberately held myself to comfortable descent pace (4:00km), and normal (4:20) for the following half km or so. Then, with nothing left to lose, I put the boot down. Caught both of the lads (and a final ultra) over the last km, at a pace of about 4:00 on the flat. One more full runner was just too far ahead to catch; he finished 8 seconds ahead, and fair play.

Crossed the line in 2:57:38, a new PB. 7th overall and 3rd in the M40 age group. I was ecstatic, to be honest, tears in my eyes. To break 3 in Conn was something that I'd only really thought about dreaming of, as I hadn't thought it any way feasible. What I'm going to do to top it is a difficult question...giving up running now might be best.

For anyone who's still reading, and wants to know, I think there were two key elements in exceeding my expectations. One was training - I've never trained so consistently and for so long for a marathon before. The result is an entirely different marathon experience, where you feel as if you have some element of control. Thanks again to those on boards who gave me good advice on this front. The other was hydration. I died last year for lack of it, and this year I wasn't messing about. I drank at every water station. I took gels regularly - one at the start, and four over the course. I stashed a few bottles of torq on the course on the way down, Friday evening, and retrieved them en route - this cost a few seconds, but gave a useful boost of water and sugar. Over the course I drank easily 3-3.5 litres.

Sorry about the lack of drama. I enjoyed the race immensely, with little or no pain or anguish - sorry if this makes for dull reading.

jeffontour wrote: »
    Great stuff, looks like the logical next step is the ultra.....

LOL. I was wondering how long that suggestion would take!! The next step is a short rest and then a crack at a faster run in Kildare. I was planning to run 3:10-3:30 in Conn, but due to circumstances beyond my control that didn't work out. I'll try to get the plan back on track by having a go at 2:55 in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Brilliant stuff Brownian, excellent work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Brownian. stop sanbagging and tell us what you ran? I told you sub 3 was a formality :rolleyes:

repeating just for effect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's a fantastic run and report....Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Wow! Fantastic result!! A pb in Conn is surely a rarity! Excellent race report too. You must still be grinning ear to ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Super run Brownian and nice to meet you as you set off to murder it! I gave a small thought to going with you but glad I held off. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Brilliant Report - what folks want to read [rather than my waffle!]

Good work, must feel brilliant to have hit your target like that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow, fantastic running! Well done, you must be over the moon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done! Savage running. The stuff that dreams are made of! ;)

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I can confess to still being pretty happy with how the run went:)

Signed up for Kildare on 15 May, and my aim now is to get back to being mobile, and then work on running faster, rather than up and down hills. Target for Kildare would be something like 2:55 or 4:10 per km, every km. That's the same pace as I hit quite a lot in Conn, but without the hills-induced variations/rests. I'll do proper maths between now and then, but the dream time would be 2:54:xx. My (ahem) "training plan" is to work on stringing 4:00kms together over ten miles or so at a time, twice a week....plus a 15 miler, a 20 and a (tapering) 12 or so. Feedback on this plan is most welcome - I'm assuming I need to get a couple of long runs in, and that I can't just do fast ten-milers for a month.

So, out for the first spin post-marathon today. 5 miles at 5:00 km target pace. Went more or less according to plan. Feel stiff as a board, and only warmed up a bit, so still stiff now. Took a short break in the middle to stretch and walk, then ran the last bit. Suggestions on how to loosen up the legs most welcome! I've a session with cfitz booked, but till Weds of this week, and I'd hope to be back to ten miles by the weekend. The legs are stretching ok, but just feel hard and tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Respect! Superb running brownian. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I can confess to still being pretty happy with how the run went:)

Signed up for Kildare on 15 May, and my aim now is to get back to being mobile, and then work on running faster, rather than up and down hills. Target for Kildare would be something like 2:55 or 4:10 per km, every km. That's the same pace as I hit quite a lot in Conn, but without the hills-induced variations/rests. I'll do proper maths between now and then, but the dream time would be 2:54:xx. My (ahem) "training plan" is to work on stringing 4:00kms together over ten miles or so at a time, twice a week....plus a 15 miler, a 20 and a (tapering) 12 or so. Feedback on this plan is most welcome - I'm assuming I need to get a couple of long runs in, and that I can't just do fast ten-milers for a month.
    So, you want advice on a four week program that will take you from one marathon pb, recovery, speed-work, taper, then another marathon pb? There be dragons!

Advertisement