Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Upon checking my order more closely it seems they sent me a free Clanconnell Weavers Gold Blonde Ale

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Few buideal of krombacher,mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Few buideal of krombacher,mmmm

I have 4 of the rare CANS of Krombacher in the fridge for tomorrow night. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Berty wrote: »
    I have 4 of the rare CANS of Krombacher in the fridge for tomorrow night. :D

Never seen it in can form,bottles are a 2.68 a pop :O

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I visited a newly-opened craft beer house in Manchester the other evening. Stupendous selection of beers, especially from the US. Lots of Sierra Nevada (torpedo on tap), Goose Islands, Brooklyns (including locals 1 & 2), Anchor, Flying Dogs etc. Brewdog Hardcore was on draught as well I think. Anyway, Here's a shot of the bar, see if you can make out what else is in the fridge.

I decided to loose my Dogfish Head virginity to a beautiful 90min IPA. I'm not a big hop-head by any means, and for me this was nicely balanced and had just the right amount of bitterness to it. Disguises its alcohol content too, at 9% it was waaaayy to drinkable!

Only downside was I felt they were slightly taking the piss with the prices. The dogfish was £6.50 for 330ml. About £5.50 for an Aventinus. And the brooklyn locals were about the £15.00 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SomeDose wrote: »
    Only downside was I felt they were slightly taking the piss with the prices. The dogfish was £6.50 for 330ml. About £5.50 for an Aventinus. And the brooklyn locals were about the £15.00 mark.
    Sounds about right to me. £15 is what you'd pay for a decent bottle of wine in the pub: I don't see how charging for a similar size, similar strength bottle of beer is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Fair enough with regards the Brooklyn, I overlooked the fact it was a 750ml bottle. The Aventinus was about £1 more expensive than other bars though. Lots of us don't have an issue with paying a premium for these beers, not least because it's damn hard to get them anywhere else, but as a new venture I wonder if the prices will put off a lot of mainstream drinkers who otherwise might be willing to give craft beer a go.

SomeDose wrote: »
    I wonder if the prices will put off a lot of mainstream drinkers who otherwise might be willing to give craft beer a go.
    Wouldn't have thought so. It's not an argument you hear when somewhere decides to raise the quality of its wine or whiskey selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dropped into the porterhouse to try hop head on tap. Very nice indeed , lightly hopped and not too carbonated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Discovered Blue Moon recently. Picked up a few bottles in Mc Hugh's. Its becoming one of favorite American beers. Didn't think I'd like a beer with a slice of orange in it but it definitely works with Blue Moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

A couple of Thornbridge Beers form the Drink store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

oblivious wrote: »

Had their Jaipur IPA last night, really really nice.
    Wish I bought more than one bottle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

oblivious wrote: »

If you can find any of the collaborations they did with Epic Brewing (from NZ) try them - pretty bloody impressive, especially if you like hops. The barrel-aged stout is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ran out of other beer for weekend so its

1 x Heineken
    1 X Erdinger Dunkel
    24 X Pic

172369_1923645015050_1359846531_2253152_2973535_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried Ocean IPA and Ocean Porter last night in the Abbot's.

Swedish beers very much in the style of rather bland English beer.
    I'd buy them if they were on special offer.
    Wouldn't bother otherwise.

Really? I thought the porter was superb. Agree about the IPA, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Just had a Schneider Weisse, Tap 4. Really tasty Weiss, don't know why I waited this long to have one.

Have a few IPAs for later. Titan, Brooklyn & Odell's. Lookin forward to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Really? I thought the porter was superb. Agree about the IPA, though.

I did like the porter a lot more than the IPA but was still a little underwhelmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

just had a btl of O Haras IPA and now having a Helvick Gold.

the WINE WELL in Dunboyne now stocks the 3 beers from Dungarvan after i asked them could they get me a few btls.its now a great seller for them.

the WINE CELLAR in Maynooth stocks all the beers from O Haras and plenty more irish-english and american beers and plenty of european lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Tonight I'm having some Innis and Gunn. A really nice beer, however one I had put off trying for a while for whatever reason, clear bottle perhaps. One I'll definitely be returning to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Enjoying a Flying Dog Barley Wine Style Ale at the moment. Big fan this style, the Sierra Nevada and Anchor offerings are fantastic.

Out of interest, why is it called a Barley Wine style ale, is just a Barley Wine different?

DBCyc wrote: »
    why is it called a Barley Wine style ale
    US labelling law. If it was just labelled "Barley Wine" the authorities think people would think it's a wine.

sol,ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Has anybody tried Buckleys Ale?

I've seen it in my local but haven't tried it yet.

Any info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried Buckleys Ale?

I've seen it in my local but haven't tried it yet.

Any info on it?

As in the Bull & Castle? If so, it's brewed specially for them by Carlow. Nice enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As in the Bull & Castle? If so, it's brewed specially for them by Carlow. Nice enough

Ryan's on Parkgate St has it. I've never seen anybody drink it so imagined the beer has just been sitting in the lines and wouldn't taste great.

Is it from O Haras then?

Carlow make O'Haras

I really like it. They've changed the recipe recently and the new version is lovely and hoppy.

Is it still a low ABV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I went for dinner at The Mongolian Barbecue in Temple Bar last night and had a pitcher of Porterhouse Templebrau. Its very nice and the owner kindly let me keep a Porterhouse pint glass.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement