Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Saruman wrote: »
    The Copper coast was fantastic and at only 3.7% is very sessionable.
    Copperhead (before noby sends his lawyers round). And yeah, it's a wonderful beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ooops, changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tried 3 from the Williams Bros Brewing range over the weekend as they had them on a 4 for €10 offer in Molloys

The Joker I.P.A. - Which I felt was more a Lager than an IPA, in that the Hops weren't very strong, but it was still very drinkable.
    Red Ale - Easy drinking Ale but nothing spectacular, still nice though.
    80 Shilling Ale - Best if the bunch, really nice roasted chocolate malt flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alexer

Hi,
    I am newbie to this forum. In this week I am going to drink vodka and rum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Wetherspoons in Derry are doing their Real Ale Festival at the minute, 6 cask ales available at £1.60(€1.82) a pint. Had a few McGrath's Irish Black(Clanconnell). bargain price. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brugs White beer. Well it's wheat beer alright and the bar man dropped an orange piece in before I got to taste it properly. Not a bad beer all the same. If you like wheat beers I think this would be an alright substitute but not the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

King Cobra 8%abv
    should go nicely with a indian takeaway tonight :)

Just blind tasted Grimbergen and John Martins pale ale.
    John Martins wins hands down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Brugs White beer. Well it's wheat beer alright and the bar man dropped an orange piece in before I got to taste it properly. Not a bad beer all the same. If you like wheat beers I think this would be an alright substitute but not the best ever.

Never saw that over here - you in Belgium?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Never saw that over here - you in Belgium?

Yeah working here every few weeks so try out as much as I can.

• Advertisement

Yeah working here every few weeks so try out as much as I can.

Nice one!

Belgium is to beer what France is to wine. Do you know they have over 700 different types of beer? I would stick with sampling what they call their 'special beers', basically all the Trappiste stuff. The draught is generally their equivalent of table wine.

I would recommend Westmalle Triple, Rochefort 8, Orval, Chimay - especially if you like dark beers.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Nice one!

Belgium is to beer what France is to wine. Do you know they have over 700 different types of beer? I would stick with sampling what they call their 'special beers', basically all the Trappiste stuff. The draught is generally their equivalent of table wine.

I would recommend Westmalle Triple, Rochefort 8, Orval, Chimay - especially if you like dark beers.;)

Sorry but the draught to table wine comparison is way wide of the mark, and their top beers aren't being made by the trappists. Good stuff all the same but if you can happen upon the likes of De Struise then you're onto a winner.

Draught beers vary from pub to pub here and I mean in choice. I am in a small town in the south of Belgium.
    Compared to pubs in Brussels it's a different world.
    Most pubs here have John Martins pale ale which I haven't see on tap elsewhere in Belgium. Another I seen here and not elsewhere is Waterloo Double 8 Dark.

Cuvée des Trolls is another I had here which is a blond beer.

Cuvée des Trolls is another I had here which is a blond beer.
    If you happen across their Forestine, that's worth a go. Sort of a herby piney kind of flavour.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sorry but the draught to table wine comparison is way wide of the mark, and their top beers aren't being made by the trappists. Good stuff all the same but if you can happen upon the likes of De Struise then you're onto a winner.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself properly, I'm talking Stella, Maes, Brugs and even Hoegarden. Typically Belgians will just ask for a 'beer' or a 'white' much like someone would ask for a 'glass of white wine' without asking for a specific grape variety. These would be their equivalent of table wine in the beer world. I know there are other good bers on draught - it was a generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Currently on Brew Dog's Hardcore IPA - far too drinkable for a 9.2% beer! ;)

Gorgeous stuff, these guys have shot to the top of my list of favourite breweries lately, they always seem to have something new on the go, and their staple, Punk IPA is fantastic!

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you happen across their Forestine, that's worth a go. Sort of a herby piney kind of flavour.

Will look out for it thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Anyone tried the brewdog tactical nuclear penguin?

wondering if it's worth ordering a bottle..

RichieC wrote: »
    Yes.
    wondering if it's worth ordering a bottle..
    No.

Well, I had a small measure of it when it was still quite young. It's perfectly possible that it has matured into something much nicer, but then it might not have. I certainly couldn't justify paying 10 bottles of Paradox to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Tonight I have had a Meantime Wheat beer, a Badger Blandford Fly and now a Pilsner Urquell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night I had a Vital Spark from Fyne Ales in Scotland in The Bierhaus, Cork.

Lovely, hoppy dark ale with a dry finish.
    Doesn't taste as dark as it looks and is a very drinkable ale at 4.5%.
    Will try again and will be trying the Avalanche too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just been to Bradley's in Cork and the Dungarvan beers are finally in the 4 for €10 range. I like these beers and now they're comparable to the English ales in price, well, let's say I'll be drinking some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a bottle (gift). Waiting for a suitable occasion/opportunity to open it.
    Judging by Beernut's comments, it might be worth holding onto it for a while. I currently have it in my 'wine-rack' in my kitchen, but I reckon the temperature fluctuates from 15'C - 22'C daily. Will the beer be ok in this kind of environment, or would I be better off finding an occasion to drink it sooner, rather than later?

Will the beer be ok in this kind of environment
    At 32% ABV I'd say it's fairly bullet-proof. Best to store upright rather than on its side, though, to keep the liquid away from the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Got a large bottle of Chimay grande réserve to drink for myself tonight.

Very nice drink. cant go wrong with this stuff, starting to think you just cant go wrong with the trappistes stuff at all.

Had one midget of La Trappistes Bockbeer too which i really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Finally grabbed some Innis & Gunn yesterday. Lovely stuff, more will be bought for the weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just stuck in fridge to cool down for the weekend are:

Erdinger Urweiss

Macs Gold ( New Zealand )

Tui ( New Zealand )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had a bottle of brooklyn (sp) today,not mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Last night I had some Dutch Gold. Beautiful, complex nose, lovely lacing on the glass. The taste was superb, lots of flavors going on. Easily the best beer I've ever tasted.
    Move over Duvel, I've found my new mainstay beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Blue Moon drank it alot in the US, saw here in a restaurent in Maynooth

blue-moon-pale-ale.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement