Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

Picked up some weihenstephaner weisse and korbinian, some krombacher and some more german stuff with neuschwantstein castle on the label :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Had a bottle of Hobson's Town Crier. Crisp Golden Ale is what it says on the label. Wasn't impressed by this, was just a bit boring and not very crisp.

Also had a bottle of Williams Red. Been a long time since I had a Red Ale and really enjoyed this. It's just a good red ale in my opinion.

Will be having an old reliable later - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Never disappoints :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Drinking some dark German beers. Kostrizer..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stopped by 'Against the Grain' last night, and enjoyed a pint of 'Copper Coast' from the cask, a pint of Trouble Brewing's Ór (yum) and a pint of Phuca (not one for me; a little too medicinal). Good to see the pub doing well, with a good number of discerning punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Having a Tanglefoot. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Stopped by 'Against the Grain' last night, and enjoyed a pint of 'Copper Coast' from the cask, a pint of Trouble Brewing's Ór (yum) and a pint of Phuca (not one for me; a little too medicinal). Good to see the pub doing well, with a good number of discerning punters.

an all irish beers too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Finally got to taste the Brooklyn version of the Brooklyn/Schneider hopven weiss in The Abbot's last night. Worth waiting for!
    I liked the Schneider version, this one I liked even more.
    Full of floral hoppy goodness:D:D

Followed this up with a Hardcore IPA.
    Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

In my fridge right now I have some Tiger, Steinhauser, Liefmans Cuvee Brut, Desperados & Baltika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

KJ wrote: »
    In my fridge right now I have some Tiger, Steinhauser, Liefmans Cuvee Brut, Desperados & Baltika

I love Baltika, Baltika 3 being my favoutite.

I have Fullers Honey Dew and London Pride, Chimay Red, Blackrock, Coppercoast, O'Hara's Red, Hoegarten and eh .... a can of Tuborg! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

We went to a bar over the weekend here in California which has a LOT of craft beers on tap. Looking through some lists I came across this beauty:

attachment.php?attachmentid=149896&stc=1&d=1298917715

I was quite shocked and excited. It made it all the way to San Diego :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I was quite shocked
    There's a lot more of it in the US than there is here :( Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

last Saturday i paid a visit to Mulligans and had the wonderfull few hrs and sampled 8 different beers.

Trouble Or and there stout.
    Galway hooker
    O Haras Red
    Friar Weiss
    Belfast blonde
    Dungarvans blackrock on cask
    and a btl of Leann follain.

i enjoyed all 8 and my favourite two were the galway hooker and the o haras red.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Weiss beers are probably the only style of good beers that I can't drink, I've tried a few but I just can't get past the medicinal taste, though I see lots of people here like them along with the good hoppy style beers that I like. I thought people would be either one or the other. Anyway, having some London Porters and Aecht Schlenkerla Märzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

blueshed wrote: »
    last Saturday i paid a visit to Mulligans and had the wonderfull few hrs and sampled 8 different beers.

Galway hooker
    O Haras Red
    Friar Weiss
    Belfast blonde

i enjoyed all 8 and my favourite two were the galway hooker and the o haras red.

All Irish, well done :D

Though Technically Belfast Blonde is British since the British exchequer gets the duty....

Saruman wrote: »
    the British exchequer gets the duty
    I don't think so -- once it's exported the duty is payable in the country it's exported to. Imagine if we could import German beer or French wine while paying the duty to their home countries (which is zero in the case of the latter) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

All Irish, well done :D

Though Technically Belfast Blonde is British since the British exchequer gets the duty....

Oh no I hope this doesnt start again !:eek::D;):p

blueshed wrote: »

Galway hooker
    O Haras Red
    Friar Weiss
    Belfast blonde

Which Mulligans is that?

redalan wrote: »
    Which Mulligans is that?
    L. Mulligan. Grocer, Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

sorry folks it was mulligans in Stoneybatter.
    the porter from trouble brewing was dark arts.we did a beer taste and some food to go with it,pork pie-scotch egg and chips.
    also with the btl of Leann follain we had some of the o haras red mixed in to make a black n tan,i think thats what it was called.
    very nice indeed.

Thanks Beernut and Blueshed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had a bottle of edinger kristal (sp?) tonight,lovely stuff,very expensive at 2.78 a bottle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think so -- once it's exported the duty is payable in the country it's exported to. Imagine if we could import German beer or French wine while paying the duty to their home countries (which is zero in the case of the latter) :D

What am I thinking of then? When a brewery in Ireland brews a beer, revenue gets it's money no matter if the beer is given away for free. The British equivalent of that is what I was thinking of.

Or does it not get paid to revenue if the beer gets exported?

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a bottle of LIDL's latest Shepherd Neame beer last night 'Early Bird - Spring Hop Ale', and I have to say I found myself enjoying it, after getting quite tired of the Sheppard Neame line. It seems lighter than some of their other beers, and as such doesn't have the same bitter aftertaste. Worth a try.

I picked up some Warsteiner & Chimay Red today.
    Also my delivery came. It consisted of:
    Moosehead, Grozet, Roisin Scottish Tayberry Beer, Kelpie Seaweed Ale, Alba Scots Pine Ale, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, BrewDog Hardcore IPA and a nice new Hoegaarden glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

KJ wrote: »
    I picked up some Warsteiner & Chimay Red today.
    Also my delivery came. It consisted of:
    Moosehead, Grozet, Roisin Scottish Tayberry Beer, Kelpie Seaweed Ale, Alba Scots Pine Ale, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, BrewDog Hardcore IPA and a nice new Hoegaarden glass.

where did you order all that from?

I had my first Chimay Red last night. Very nice, quite fruity. It says that it has sugar added to it though, I don't know what the story with that is. As nice as it is, it's not really worth the 3.30 it cost me. Had Blackrock too, it really is really really good.

redlead wrote: »
    where did you order all that from?

I had my first Chimay Red last night. Very nice, quite fruity. It says that it has sugar added to it though, I don't know what the story with that is. As nice as it is, it's not really worth the 3.30 it cost me. Had Blackrock too, it really is really really good.

I've yet to try the Chimay Red.

I got them from here: http://www.drinkstore.ie/

Including postage it all cost €29 which I consider to be quite a good price. They have special offers on Sierra Nevada range and Williams Brothers range at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Few bottles of tiger tonight for the old firm.

When a brewery in Ireland brews a beer, revenue gets it's money no matter if the beer is given away for free.
    If the beer is exported, however, it doesn't get the money, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Just had my first Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Porter. I'm not sure whether it's one of the best beers ever or one of the worst. I'm leaning towards one of the best, but at 10% I'll just be having the one. Huge flavours, just huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got to try the Brooklyn Local No. 1 last night.

It's a quality beer but to be honest I don't really see the point of US brewers making Belgian style beer when they do their own styles so well. The No. 2 had me feeling the same way.

Their Hopfen Weiss is fantastic, though.

But if someone were to give me a present of the locals I'd happily drink them!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement