Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

eefums wrote: »
    3lbs lighter, il take it, not overlyjoyed as its my first week but il take it nonetheless

3lbs is a GREAT result! Well done! x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I give up.....:( Am so so disheartened..
    The pro points are not working for me. Have been so so good, making most things from scratch. Taking the recipes from here, baking, steaming, etc. And its all been for nothing. Have been doing ww for 8 weeks. Went something like this, first week sts, down 0.5, sts, sts,lost 1.5 sts, didnt go, and today... was UP 2 POUNDS. So i actually lost nothing.. Only a lot of money on ww, and food!!!!:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Great to see what everyone is giving up for lent & that I'm not the only one giving up diet coke. I'm giving up alcohol too - but that won't be hard because I don't drink much - maybe a glass or two of wine once or twice a week. But my hubby is giving it up so I will join him. Mostly I only take a drink because he has opened a bottle anyway! He's also going off chocolate, but I'm not sticking by him with that one! I have to have some kind of treat on WW! Good luck to everyone with your resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Eabhabear wrote: »
    My mum made a valid point about fruit, that they had points before and if you use their nutritional value to calculate like you would any other item then they do have propoints. The only reason WW have them as free is that they want to encourage you to have your 5 a day which is a good thing. But if you do have too much of it i.e more than your 5 a day then you probably are eating too much. Also bear in mind that 5 a day should also include veg!

personally I think that f&v are 0pts but to allow this, they up'd the points of everything else.

Cadyboo wrote: »
    The pro points are not working for me. Have been so so good, making most things from scratch. Taking the recipes from here, baking, steaming, etc. And its all been for nothing. Have been doing ww for 8 weeks. Went something like this, first week sts, down 0.5, sts, sts,lost 1.5 sts, didnt go, and today... was UP 2 POUNDS. So i actually lost nothing.. Only a lot of money on ww, and food!!!!:mad::(

Have you spoken to your leader about this? They get paid to sort out your problems, so maybe if you gave her your trackers to look over. So sorry that it is not working for you. I am losing (slowly) with very little exercise & a lot of cooking! It's not easy & must be so demoralising not to see a result after all your efforts. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Woohoo! Down another 2lbs....
    happy days that's total of 15.5 and got
    my first stone!
    Well done everyone x

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

Hi everyone, i love reading this thread, little addicted, the support is amazing. Had my 7th WI tonight and lost 2 pds. Dats 7 pds in 7 wks. Delighted!! It's slow coming off but i don't mind :)

Lady Lainey thanks so much for posting all the recipes, since starting ww I began cooking and little baking, don't think I ever ate so well!

Little question, I made apple crumble and i used splenda. I know splenda is 0 pp but I used loads of it over the apples (cos I've a sweet tooth) so would it still be 0pp?

Well done to everyone on their losses and to those who think their weight loss is too slow keep it up, it all adds up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

fofany wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your leader about this? They get paid to sort out your problems, so maybe if you gave her your trackers to look over. So sorry that it is not working for you. I am losing (slowly) with very little exercise & a lot of cooking! It's not easy & must be so demoralising not to see a result after all your efforts. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. :) Yes spoke to leader and she is useless tbh. We did it in work, and it was paid up front for the 8 weeks and was subsidised so had to go to her. Gave her my trackers, and she couldnt see anything wrong, told me cut down on bread but was still within my points. I have to say Id not been well for a week so didnt exercise and was easing myself back in. But in 8 weeks I LOST nothing.

I dont know what to do. A girl in work said she has gone back to the old way as pp wasnt working with her. But I think it would be confusing to go back to the old way.

I might go to a different class next week, and show them my trackers etc. And start again as if Im new, think that might help?Anyone have any recommendations for a good leader in Cork?? If so PM me please, as I dont think boards would like names named. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sosyourface

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    hey....just an idea? Anyone wanna start like a lent challenge (this is what they don on the uk ww site....challenge groups)

I'm going to attempt (for me is the impossible) and give up bread for lent!
    (be prepared for rants and rambles about how much i'm missing bread....its going to be hillarious...i will be like a addict going cold turkey)

anyone wanna join me? :D

come on.....Lent is the PERFECT time to try anything....and you can openly say it to people you wouldnt dare tell that your in weight watchers....saying your giving up XZY for lent is totally acceptable and no one can make any remarks!

Yep I'll do this too. Giving up all treat-type stuff except popcorn cos that's quite low in points and fills me up. So no more chocolate or biscuits or anything. Will be off the takeaways too (I usually get one after my WI :D).

Oh dear, I've just remembered I've a Moro in my bag, if I don't eat it by tomorrow I can't eat it at all....And now I'm full of pancakes. I'll never fit it in!

Looking forward to reading all the posts throughout Lent!

guys,

I bought the odlams pancake mix in a bottle last week, .....didnt realise how many pts it had in it :( + you need to add milk to it to create the mix.

because my wife doesnt like pancakes(at all at all) and she is out tomorrow night i'll be having mine on 'pancake wednesday' but ....

can you add water to the mix instead of milk? or will the mix go to ****?

I've pointed tomorrow's binge @ 50pp (thats breaky, lunch and eight pancakes!)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. :) Yes spoke to leader and she is useless tbh. We did it in work, and it was paid up front for the 8 weeks and was subsidised so had to go to her. Gave her my trackers, and she couldnt see anything wrong, told me cut down on bread but was still within my points. I have to say Id not been well for a week so didnt exercise and was easing myself back in. But in 8 weeks I LOST nothing.

I dont know what to do. A girl in work said she has gone back to the old way as pp wasnt working with her. But I think it would be confusing to go back to the old way.

I might go to a different class next week, and show them my trackers etc. And start again as if Im new, think that might help?Anyone have any recommendations for a good leader in Cork?? If so PM me please, as I dont think boards would like names named. Thanks.

Yes, I think trying a new class would be a good idea. You have come this far & worked so hard for the last 8 weeks to completely give up on it without giving it a go. Sorry I can't give you any advice about a class - I'm at the other end of the country! Good luck & let us know how you get on.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

I bought the odlams pancake mix in a bottle last week, .....didnt realise how many pts it had in it :( + you need to add milk to it to create the mix.

because my wife doesnt like pancakes(at all at all) and she is out tomorrow night i'll be having mine on 'pancake wednesday' but ....

can you add water to the mix instead of milk? or will the mix go to ****?

I've pointed tomorrow's binge @ 50pp (thats breaky, lunch and eight pancakes!)

that stuff even with milk is ment to be horrible! get your self a bag of flour, skimmed milk and few eggs and make them from scratch...the hardest part is in the pouring of them...and your doing that either way with the mix's or home made....home made ones work out way less points...from what i've seen in the recipes....

Now ProPoints® Value: 1
    Servings: 12
    Preparation Time: 0 min
    Cooking Time: 15 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Flipping marvellous! Pancakes to tickle your tastebuds.

Ingredients
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, sifted
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    1/2 serving(s) (1/4 pint) Milk, Skimmed
    1 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled

Instructions
    Put the flour into a bowl and break the egg into the centre.
    Add the milk gradually beating into a batter.
    Pour the batter into a jug.
    Heat a non-stick frying pan.
    Spray lightly with low-fat cooking spray.
    Pour in 3 tbsp batter and quickly swirl the pan to coat the base.
    Cook until the batter becomes firm and bubbles appear.
    Flip the pancake over.

Serve with fresh lemon, artificial sweetener or sugar (at a Points value of ½ per teaspoon).

Chef Tips
    To renovate this traditional pancake recipe we:
    used skimmed milk
    ditched the oil for low fat cooking spray

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

I joined weightwatchers about 8 wks ago and after only losing a pound in 6 wks, I spoke to the leader as well and she didnt know. But someone suggested I got my thyroid checked and that was what it was, an underactive tyroid, So I am on the medication now and hopefully will soon start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

Salmon Noodle Bowl 11pp
    Serves 1

125g salmon fillet, skinned
    30g dried thin rice noodles
    Boiling water
    425ml fish or chicken stock
    60g sugar snapped peas, sliced
    60g beansprouts, rinsed
    40g drained bamboo shoots
    1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    ½ red chilli, de-seeded ad sliced
    2 spring onions
    Wedge of lime to serve

For the marinade
    2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1tsp artificial sweetener
    Juice of ½ a lime

• Mix the teriyaki sauce, sweetener and lime juice together in a dish. Turn the salmon in the marinade to coat and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
    • Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes or according to the packet instructions, then drain.
    • Heat a non stick frying pan. Lift the salmon out of its marinade (reserving the marinade) then dry fry for 2 ½ minutes on each side until the flesh is richly caramelised.
    • Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil, add the reserved marinade and sugarsnap peas and simmer for 3 minutes until just tender.
    • Place the noodles in a deep bowl. Top with the bean sprouts and bamboo shouts. Pour the hot broth and sugarsnap peas into the bowl and scatter with the coriander, chilli and spring onions. Place the seared salmon on top of the noodles. Serve with a wedge of lime to squeeze over.

Variation: The salmon can be replaced with a 165g skinless chicken breast but it will need 10 mins to cook through. The PP will be 9

Moules Provencales 5pp
    serves 1

1 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion finely chopped
    1 celery stick, sliced
    1 small courgette, diced
    1 garlic clove, sliced
    230g can of chopped tomatoes with herbs
    500g cleaned mussels
    salt and pepper

• Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded saucepan, add the onion and cook for 2 mins, then add the celery, courgette and garlic and cook for a further 2 mins.
    • Add the tinned tomatoes, 3 tbsp of water, the mussels and some seasoning. Toss the mussels around in the sauce then cover the pan and cook for 5 mins over a moderate heat, shaking the pan a couple of times until the mussels have opened. Discard the mussels that stay closed after cooking.
    • Tip into a deep warmed bowl and serve.
    Serve with a 50g crusty bread roll for an extra 4pp

Salmon and Spinach Parcels 8pp
    /portion
    serve 4

4 x 100g salmon fillets
    150g baby spinach leaves
    4 tbsp of low fat mayonnaise
    8 x 15g sheets filo pastry
    25g low fat spread, melted
    1 tsp poppy seeds
    salt and pepper

1. Preheat he oven to gas mark 5 / 190C / fan oven 170C. Rinse the salmon and pat it dry with kitchen towel.
    2. Place the spinach in a medium, lidded saucepan with 2 tbsp of water and seasoning. Cover and simmer for 2-3 mins, until the spinach wilts. Drain well.
    3. Place a 1/4 of the spinach over each salmon fillet and top each with a tsp of mayo.
    4. Sandwich 2 sheets of filo pastry together with a light brushing of the melted low fat spread. Place a salmon fillet in the centre and wrap the pastry around it like a parcel. repeat this process with the rest of the pastry and the remaining 3 fillets. Brush the tops of the parcels with the remaining spread and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
    5. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden.

that stuff even with milk is ment to be horrible! get your self a bag of flour, skimmed milk and few eggs and make them from scratch...the hardest part is in the pouring of them...and your doing that either way with the mix's or home made....home made ones work out way less points...from what i've seen in the recipes....

Now ProPoints® Value: 1
    Servings: 12
    Preparation Time: 0 min
    Cooking Time: 15 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Flipping marvellous! Pancakes to tickle your tastebuds.

Ingredients
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, sifted
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    1/2 serving(s) (1/4 pint) Milk, Skimmed
    1 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled

Instructions
    Put the flour into a bowl and break the egg into the centre.
    Add the milk gradually beating into a batter.
    Pour the batter into a jug.
    Heat a non-stick frying pan.
    Spray lightly with low-fat cooking spray.
    Pour in 3 tbsp batter and quickly swirl the pan to coat the base.
    Cook until the batter becomes firm and bubbles appear.
    Flip the pancake over.

Serve with fresh lemon, artificial sweetener or sugar (at a Points value of ½ per teaspoon).

Chef Tips
    To renovate this traditional pancake recipe we:
    used skimmed milk
    ditched the oil for low fat cooking spray

might do that alright ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 huggiebear

hi all just after reading thru all the posts and well done to all who have lost and i really feel for those of ye who are struggling. Try and stick with it for another week even and see what happens then.

I lost 2 and a half lbs which brings me back to a free member thank god... 4 lbs to go now to my original gold. Pro points has worked for me but i found that i have nearly cut out bread altogether as this was my big downfall. i have lost 20 lbs since the middle of jan .

Went a bit mad today after WI and have eaten 3 bags of crisps, dont know how many spongy easter eggs and i wont go on anymore......oh well it is lent tomorrow:rolleyes:

huggiebear wrote: »
    hi all just after reading thru all the posts and well done to all who have lost and i really feel for those of ye who are struggling. Try and stick with it for another week even and see what happens then.

I lost 2 and a half lbs which brings me back to a free member thank god... 4 lbs to go now to my original gold. Pro points has worked for me but i found that i have nearly cut out bread altogether as this was my big downfall. i have lost 20 lbs since the middle of jan .

Went a bit mad today after WI and have eaten 3 bags of crisps, dont know how many spongy easter eggs and i wont go on anymore......oh well it is lent tomorrow:rolleyes:

wow with that kinda loss...cutting out the bread i think will do wonders for me! :)

had some vanilla sugar from aldi on some of my pancakes...havent had real sugar in ages.....oh god....i have such a sugar crash headache right now....its actually PAINFULL!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

Went a bit mad today after WI and have eaten 3 bags of crisps, dont know how many spongy easter eggs and i wont go on anymore......oh well it is lent tomorrow"

the marshmallow easter eggs are only 2pp each, nice for a treat.

huggiebear wrote: »

Well done - on getting to gold & not on the crisp & easter egg madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

hey....just an idea? Anyone wanna start like a lent challenge (this is what they don on the uk ww site....challenge groups)

I'm going to attempt (for me is the impossible) and give up bread for lent!
    (be prepared for rants and rambles about how much i'm missing bread....its going to be hillarious...i will be like a addict going cold turkey)

anyone wanna join me? :D

come on.....Lent is the PERFECT time to try anything....and you can openly say it to people you wouldnt dare tell that your in weight watchers....saying your giving up XZY for lent is totally acceptable and no one can make any remarks!

Lady Lainy I'm so not with you on this one I'm afraid, I've changed my eating habits (in a good way) so much since joining WW that I don't think I can give up any more. But good luck with it, we're with you all the way.

Can't give you any recommendation but defintely go to class, you will find it makes a difference. Keep the head up.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

The pancake really isn't nice, you'd be much better off making from scratch.

So after my binge on chocolate cake yesterday, I was down 2lbs at this evenings wi. I have 3lbs to go to goal, so I'm giving myself 3 weeks, but hoping i'll get there sooner. Didn't even go mad with pancakes this evening, had 1 good size pancake with stewed apple and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. yum

Well done to everyone and good luck to those due to wi during the week.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Starrgrrl

Although I'm not hugely religious (haven't been to confession since my 1st confession!!!) I'm all for the lent thing this year. I've had a crappy bad week With loads of crappy news which has finished witha Chinese takeaway and 3 pancakes cooked in butter with nutella and bananas (at least they're 0ppts right?) AND I've skipped my weigh in. I just know I'd be up this week and can't face a gain.
    I need something new to motivate me so....
    I'm gonna give up diet coke, thing it'd been bloating me out and giving me heart burn
    I'm going to give up sliced breads and rolls. I really don't think I'd last if I give up every type so I'm keeping pittas, wraps and crisp breads.
    Going to start drinking water because I really suck at that (my poor bladder!)
    really have to get started again or I'll slip back into bad habbits.
    Good luck everyone. And well done for all your losses and holding on when things are getting tough!!

not really into lent .. i did my own thing and had a bet with a relation to give up chocolate and havent had a square in 18 months!!!

this is coming from a native belgian living here for the last 15yrs, who use to go on hols back home to belgium and bring back a backpack full(10-12kgs worth) of belgian chocolate, all different type of fillings!!! and it would all be gone after just 4weeks back home:eek:

alll i'm saying ...if i can give up chocolate anyone can give up their demon!

Starrgrrl wrote: »
    Although I'm not hugely religious (haven't been to confession since my 1st confession!!!) I'm all for the lent thing this year. I've had a crappy bad week With loads of crappy news which has finished witha Chinese takeaway and 3 pancakes cooked in butter with nutella and bananas (at least they're 0ppts right?) AND I've skipped my weigh in. I just know I'd be up this week and can't face a gain.
    I need something new to motivate me so....
    I'm gonna give up diet coke, thing it'd been bloating me out and giving me heart burn
    I'm going to give up sliced breads and rolls. I really don't think I'd last if I give up every type so I'm keeping pittas, wraps and crisp breads.
    Going to start drinking water because I really suck at that (my poor bladder!)
    really have to get started again or I'll slip back into bad habbits.
    Good luck everyone. And well done for all your losses and holding on when things are getting tough!!

sliced pan is really the only bread that comes into my house, so thats my only down fall...i never really eat wraps/pitta/bagels cos just never get around to buying them...so they wont be missed. I'm really only giving up bread....to stop my bread and butter binges....if i was only eating 1 or 2 slices (a sandwich) here and there i'd be fine...but i will sit down and happily comfortably eating slice after slice....i love bread...and it doesnt fill me up :( i easily blow at least half my weeklies on toast alone....(plus a good few of dailys could end up in the toaster too)....which is just crap point spending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Don't give up. I was the same as you and I was close to giving up so I made the decision last Thurs to go back to the old plan. I had my WI this morning and was down 1.5lbs. I would try a different class like you said and see if that leader can help you. If after that propoints doesn't work for you maybe consider changing back to the old plan and see if that works? I know how you feel about the money I feel like the last 8 weeks was €80 down the drain :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Well I'm after eating probably everyone's weeklies put together in pancakes but I enjoyed every second of it :D Giving up diet coke for lent. Actually forgot about getting blackcurrant to go with my vodka next week so must get that instead. I've a whole week to try and get that loss next week so fingers crossed. Going to go for 2 walks tomorrow.

I assume that there are no meetings next Thurs (Paddy's Day) yeah? I might not be able to make my meeting on Weds as I'm going away Mon-Weds so not sure if I'll be back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Starrgrrl

sliced pan is really the only bread that comes into my house, so thats my only down fall...i never really eat wraps/pitta/bagels cos just never get around to buying them...so they wont be missed. I'm really only giving up bread....to stop my bread and butter binges....if i was only eating 1 or 2 slices (a sandwich) here and there i'd be fine...but i will sit down and happily comfortably eating slice after slice....i love bread...and it doesnt fill me up :( i easily blow at least half my weeklies on toast alone....(plus a good few of dailys could end up in the toaster too)....which is just crap point spending!

I love all types of bread. I've always said I can survive on bread, cheese and butter. I love crusty French breads and walking into superquin kills me with the smell. 2 slices of toast are never ever enough, especially when dipped in tea!!!! I have a weird job with crappy hours so if I'm not prepared when I get to eat (usually around 10pm) I can easily eat 8 slices of toast.
    I really wish I could just give something up on will power alone. If I had that will power don't think I'd need weight watcher at all!!! Fair play to anyone who can!

Starrgrrl wrote: »
    I love all types of bread. I've always said I can survive on bread, cheese and butter. I love crusty French breads and walking into superquin kills me with the smell. 2 slices of toast are never ever enough, especially when dipped in tea!!!! I have a weird job with crappy hours so if I'm not prepared when I get to eat (usually around 10pm) I can easily eat 8 slices of toast.
    I really wish I could just give something up on will power alone. If I had that will power don't think I'd need weight watcher at all!!! Fair play to anyone who can!

my sista from anotha mista! loaf of bread, block of cheese and a grilll and i'm in heaven!

All this talk of bread is making me want some, but I can't as I am already 5 over my dailies (it was the pancakes & having to finish an opened bottle of wine before lent starts tomorrow). Think I'll just have another glass of water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

yep....gone are wraps, pittas, sliced pan (toast), home made brown bread, naans, baps. I dont really eat any other kind of bread apart from sliced pans.

hmmm the only "bread" like thing i'll let my self keep is the pizza base in the ww pizzas! those pizza's are life savers! so yummy and point friendly and i REALLY like them!

I've started having poached eggs and salad for my lunch's at home :) and the long breaks in college, the local pub does baked potatoes at lunch time :)

As you said...its going to force me to be creative and make me THINk about how i spend my points...

I've made a szhechuan noodle veggie thingy for lunch on day no.1 of no bread :) hope it's nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Layla0509 wrote: »
    I've made a szhechuan noodle veggie thingy for lunch on day no.1 of no bread :) hope it's nice

Hey layla, could I have the recipe for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement