Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Just joined up this morning, starting weight of 11 stone 5.5lb, given a target of 10 stone. So looking forward to see how the week progresses for me ;)

Welcome and good luck with your weight loss journey!

sage girl I was at a plateau since I started propoints. Up and down never really budging from 12st. Next week will be the big test to see can I lose at least 1lb as well.

Do you go to meetings? If you do I would mention your worries to your leader and see what she suggests. My leader first checked my tracker, then how much water I was drinking and then the regularity of my meals. Because of college it wasn't possible to have regular meal times which I think is really important for propoints. Maybe try some of these? If that doesn't work and you're on the verge of giving up then I would definitely switch back. The last thing I wanted to do was give up as I've come so far already and if I gave up I'd just put it all back on.

My mum made a valid point about fruit, that they had points before and if you use their nutritional value to calculate like you would any other item then they do have propoints. The only reason WW have them as free is that they want to encourage you to have your 5 a day which is a good thing. But if you do have too much of it i.e more than your 5 a day then you probably are eating too much. Also bear in mind that 5 a day should also include veg!

Sorry for the long-winded post but hope it helps a bit. If you have any qs or need any help then feel free to ask!! The important things is not to give up

x

tantipie wrote: »
    I didnt even weigh in last week.as i knew i stuck to plan but lost nothing..it's very disheartening alright when your doing everything right but i'm so close to goal im gonna try stick it out. I find pp would be easier to maintain once i get to goal but i know of a few people who stayed on discover as they were so close to goal that they didnt want to hinder it;) so if all comes to all i'll go back to discover:(

I think if I ever reach goal I'll go on the propoint plan then. Not the maintenance one but the normal one as when I was on it, it felt like being on maintenance. I know it's difficult to go to WI when you think you might be up or sts and you have to pay the tenner but do go as it can be a motivational thing to kickstart you!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I think if I ever reach goal I'll go on the propoint plan then. Not the maintenance one but the normal one as when I was on it, it felt like being on maintenance. I know it's difficult to go to WI when you think you might be up or sts and you have to pay the tenner but do go as it can be a motivational thing to kickstart you!
    i've still tracked and will def head back this week,,could easily slip into a 3rd or 4th week of not going and then be heading down the slippery slope to gaining it all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Had my WI this morning, only down half a pound. I was good all the week and thought that would have some effect! The weekend was another story but I worked out that my weekly pp should have covered the slip ups. Think this is going to be a slow process if I am only losing a 1/2 per week. How on earth can you stay on track over the weekend when you have a husband who keeps bringing in crap(Nice bits but crap points wise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

this is on the weight watchers site i thought it would be handy as all the other ones give the points with the toppings already added, ;)

Basic Pancake Batter 2 ProPoints values per pancake, including the oil for cooking 5 minutes to prepare | 30 minutes to cook | Makes 12 pancakes

Sift 125g plain flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Slowly whisk in 1 egg and 300ml skimmed milk until smooth. Heat an 18cm (7in) frying pan over a high heat. Add 1 tbsp sunflower oil and swirl to coat. Tip the oil into a heatproof container. Ladle 3 tbsp of the batter into the pan, swirling it round to coat the base. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the underside is golden. Loosen the edges with a palette knife and flip over. Cook the second side until golden. Remove from the pan, cover and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, separating each cooked pancake with baking paper

i don't use any oil only the frylite:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Instead of using spray oil (expensive and can have dodgy additives) you can simply put a tiny drop of oil in your pan and rub it around with some greaseproof paper (careful not to burn yourself), I think you can get heat resistant pastry brushes to do this, or an empty butter wrapper should do it.

This will give a thinner coating of oil than oil just swirled around. Another trick is using toasta bags on george foreman grills, you can get away with no oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

just did the first day of wk 3 of couch to 5k. thought i was going to die :eek: feel great now though that I did it :D WI tomorrow ahhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

rubadub wrote: »
    Instead of using spray oil (expensive and can have dodgy additives) you can simply put a tiny drop of oil in your pan and rub it around with some greaseproof paper (careful not to burn yourself), I think you can get heat resistant pastry brushes to do this, or an empty butter wrapper should do it.

This will give a thinner coating of oil than oil just swirled around. Another trick is using toasta bags on george foreman grills, you can get away with no oil.

i always use the pastry brush :)

oooh the toasty bags is a FANTASTIC IDEA! I actually got toaster bags last week...might try that tonight when grilling my chicken,...it would save the marinade from running out too!

My cousin got rushed into the doctor then hospital earlier...doctor doesnt have a clue what it is.....which isn't really comforting...they usually have SOME idea whats going on..anyways....me and my mum watching the kids.....what do irish mammys do when someone is sick....cook and cook and cook and cook.......I think i'm going to be sick...have eaten so many pancakes...only put lemon and splenda on them....but ugh! they are so heavy......*blurp*

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    My cousin got rushed into the doctor then hospital earlier...doctor doesnt have a clue what it is.....which isn't really comforting...they usually have SOME idea whats going on..anyways....me and my mum watching the kids.....what do irish mammys do when someone is sick....cook and cook and cook and cook.......I think i'm going to be sick...have eaten so many pancakes...only put lemon and splenda on them....but ugh! they are so heavy......*blurp*

hope your cousins in ok lainy:)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

dammitj wrote: »
    I would always eat something before exercising. Even if it's just a banana and a glass of water. The muscles need some fuel before you go torturing them!!

I'm not sure that eating a banana before exercise is a good idea because they are very heavy. If I was going to do exercise in the morning, I would either have nothing or else have something light like a few grapes, but each to their own, everyone is different!
    My cousin got rushed into the doctor then hospital earlier..

Hope your cousin is ok, Lainy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    the position I'm in is that I HATE the taste of Diet Coke, and used to drink ltrs of normal coke, now I point a 330mls glass 4/5 out of 7 days with my dinner, but I'll be cutting this out all together as I think my losses could be better and it would be 4pts more in meat or rice or pasta or ....

have you tried coke Zero?? tastes much nicer than diet coke, very similar to the normal one and also no sugar.. i'd say it's still 0ppts.. If anyone knows better, please let us know.. but i dont point it.. and it's pretty nice!! I dont have it as often.. probo just the once or twice a month.. but i do enjoy it!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

I have to say I am feeling so down at the moment and finding it hard to stay on track. I have tracked everything this week and stayed within my daily allowance but I just don't feel its working. I am sick with a cold and also fed up looking for work as I am unemployed at the moment. So while I am tracking everything the motivation is just not there. I have been doing WW for 8 weeks now and have only dropped 10lbs, its just so slow. I had a week where I gained a lb and then the next week I lost 1.5 so if there is no loss this week I am going to crack up completely. My WI is Thursday so fingers crossed.

Sorry for being so negative :(

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

Hope your cousin is ok Lainy x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

lil kc wrote: »
    I have to say I am feeling so down at the moment and finding it hard to stay on track. I have tracked everything this week and stayed within my daily allowance but I just don't feel its working. I am sick with a cold and also fed up looking for work as I am unemployed at the moment. So while I am tracking everything the motivation is just not there. I have been doing WW for 8 weeks now and have only dropped 10lbs, its just so slow. I had a week where I gained a lb and then the next week I lost 1.5 so if there is no loss this week I am going to crack up completely. My WI is Thursday so fingers crossed.

Sorry for being so negative :(

Hey lil kc...no need to apologise...we all need to get things off our chest from time to time.
    I know it sounds obvious but are you drinking plenty of water and exercising?
    I think it was Eabhabear (please correct me if i'm wrong) who switched back to the old plan this week and was delighted with her 1.5lb weight loss, because she had been struggling on the new plan. It might be something to consider too.

10lbs in 8 weeks, is really brilliant tho, as the recommended weight loss is 1lb - 1.5 a week. I bet you've started to notice it in your clothes too as they say 10lbs is a dress size.

In my case, I don't expect to loose anymore than 1lb a week...but even at that rate I could have a half stone gone by easter! I'd be delighted if I could acheive that.

Sounds like your having a bit of a rough time of it at the minute, and when we're feeling down everything seems like a mountain! Hope your cold clears up and things start to look better on the job front soon x

kildareash wrote: »
    Hey lil kc...no need to apologise...we all need to get things off our chest from time to time.
    I know it sounds obvious but are you drinking plenty of water and exercising?
    I think it was Eabhabear (please correct me if i'm wrong) who switched back to the old plan this week and was delighted with her 1.5lb weight loss, because she had been struggling on the new plan. It might be something to consider too.

10lbs in 8 weeks, is really brilliant tho, as the recommended weight loss is 1lb - 1.5 a week. I bet you've started to notice it in your clothes too as they say 10lbs is a dress size.

In my case, I don't expect to loose anymore than 1lb a week...but even at that rate I could have a half stone gone by easter! I'd be delighted if I could acheive that.

Sounds like your having a bit of a rough time of it at the minute, and when we're feeling down everything seems like a mountain! Hope your cold clears up and things start to look better on the job front soon x

Well I am happy with the pro points plan as it is the longest I have ever stuck with WW and I think I am too used to it now.

I think I am drinking enough water, I have a pint in the morning, 1 with my lunch and 1 with dinner then probably another 1 or 2 throughout the day. Apart from when I have a vodka or 2 which is not very often I dont drink fizzy drinks.

I try and do 30 mins on the step machine every day which usually gets me sweating loads but with the cold I have just not had the energy.

I think I need to switch it up a bit more and try different things, I would love to be eating more fish but chicken is just so easy.

Thanks for listening to me, the family just don't understand why I am doing it at all so I cant talk to them. x

Hey lil kc. It was me who switched back but I'd only lost 2lbs in 8 weeks on propoints. I would have been happy if I was losing a lb a week which is roughly what you are losing. keep going with propoints as you said yourself you like it and you are losing on it :)

I think propoints is supposed to be much slower as it's to try and keep you as close to normal living as possible so that when you reach goal it will be easier to maintain your weight. Do you eat your meals regularly? If not try to regulate them and see does that make any difference.

Do you mind me asking do you have much to lose? I've lost 1.5st so far and I reckon it'll be much slower to lose from here on. Not sure what my final goal is yet but definitely still have at least 2st to go.

I'm the same as you with chicken. It's my main meal probably 6 out of 7 days. I'm a fussy eater which was my main problem as a teenager hence being overweight. I tend to cook the same meal using a chicken fillet until I get bored and then I'll come up with some other way to use it! Atm its chicken carbonara. It was chicken wrap previous.

Get better soon and once you have more energy you'll probably feel more motivated.

x

Hey lil kc. It was me who switched back but I'd only lost 2lbs in 8 weeks on propoints. I would have been happy if I was losing a lb a week which is roughly what you are losing. keep going with propoints as you said yourself you like it and you are losing on it :)

I think propoints is supposed to be much slower as it's to try and keep you as close to normal living as possible so that when you reach goal it will be easier to maintain your weight. Do you eat your meals regularly? If not try to regulate them and see does that make any difference.

Do you mind me asking do you have much to lose? I've lost 1.5st so far and I reckon it'll be much slower to lose from here on. Not sure what my final goal is yet but definitely still have at least 2st to go.

Get better soon and once you have more energy you'll probably feel more motivated.

x

Well no I have about 10 lbs to go, my goal was to lose 20lbs but I didnt think it was going to take this long. I eat my 3 meals at mostly the same times every day with snacks in between. I have struggled because I don't eat fruit, I do try to make smoothies but I have to try find low pro point snacks which sometimes I find difficult. I feel like I I am hitting a wall with the loss now and I am going to struggle with the next 10lbs.

So you definitely prefer the old system then?

Well no I have about 10 lbs to go, my goal was to lose 20lbs but I didnt think it was going to take this long. I eat my 3 meals at mostly the same times every day with snacks in between. I have struggled because I don't eat fruit, I do try to make smoothies but I have to try find low pro point snacks which sometimes I find difficult. I feel like I I am hitting a wall with the loss now and I am going to struggle with the next 10lbs.

You should aim for summer (unless there's another event before that?). 10lbs is doable by then. I'm not a big fruit eater a day so I try to have at least 1 apple a day and then some veg. A single time out finger is 2pp, meringue nests and some fruit and low fat yogurts are low fat snacks. There are a few types of crisps that are 2 pps as well, skips multi-packs and velvet crunch.

Yeah it has made me feel more positive and I lost 1.5lbs today so the big test will be next week to see if I can have a similar loss. You have done really well so far on propoints so far so don't give up. Maybe buy a bikini or a summer dress in Penny's to give you an incentive to have the 10lbs gone by summer!

hey....just an idea? Anyone wanna start like a lent challenge (this is what they don on the uk ww site....challenge groups)

I'm going to attempt (for me is the impossible) and give up bread for lent!
    (be prepared for rants and rambles about how much i'm missing bread....its going to be hillarious...i will be like a addict going cold turkey)

anyone wanna join me? :D

come on.....Lent is the PERFECT time to try anything....and you can openly say it to people you wouldnt dare tell that your in weight watchers....saying your giving up XZY for lent is totally acceptable and no one can make any remarks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

Hi there, it took me 6 months to get rid of 21lbs and this is my 2nd time on WW. I started the propoints when on maintenance and found it really easy to keep to it. Some weeks you still drop a lb or two some you stay the same or are up but if you could just stick it out you will be delighted when you drop that last 10 and just have to sts.

I love fish (it does make life easier when you really like fish, veg and fruit - keep telling my nieces that, to develop a taste for them the sooner the better). I find eggs great too, an omelette made with 2 medium eggs with fry light spray and veg is only 4 propoints for the main protein part of your dinner, have it with zero point veg and 4 points of baby potatoes or a large potatoe made in to oven chips that's a 8 - 10 propoint very filling very tasty dinner....I love it and usually have it days I have fewer points left because my usual dinners are 11/12 pp.

Keep up your good work you are doing really well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

hey....just an idea? Anyone wanna start like a lent challenge (this is what they don on the uk ww site....challenge groups)

(be prepared for rants and rambles about how much i'm missing bread....its going to be hillarious...i will be like a addict going cold turkey)

come on.....Lent is the PERFECT time to try anything....and you can openly say it to people you wouldnt dare tell that your in weight watchers....saying your giving up XZY for lent is totally acceptable and no one can make any remarks!

With the best will in the world, not for all the money in the world nor the biggest wish on earth could I give up bread..........or potatoes for that matter. :D

kashmir wrote: »
    With the best will in the world, not for all the money in the world nor the biggest wish on earth could I give up bread..........or potatoes for that matter. :D

oh im going to compensate the lack of bread with LOTS of spuds!

spuds dont bloat me...and i cant eat loads they really fill me up....but when it comes to bread i am a freaking bottomless pit.....cutting out bread....also means i'm kinda automatically cutting out at least half the margarine i use LOL

i prob wont make it....but the effort to cut it out....should at least reduce the mount I scoff....

some days i've blown 15pp just on toast and butter....thats such a waste of points with very little nutrition actually going into my body!

I'm liking this idea. After reading people's posts about diet coke I think I'm going to give it up for lent. Well I'm going to try and we'll see how it goes :rolleyes:

Good luck with the bread. I've actually given it up subconsciously anyway on WW which I was kinda surprised at!

I'm liking this idea. After reading people's posts about diet coke I think I'm going to give it up for lent. Well I'm going to try and we'll see how it goes :rolleyes:

Good luck with the bread. I've actually given it up subconsciously anyway on WW which I was kinda surprised at!

i had aswell...but with college....and lately with assignments and study....bread has crept in with a freaking avengence.

lol *chugs my can of diet coke* this first week in months i bought 6 pack of diet coke...need the caffine kick this week!

I was going to give up drink...but i have SO many birthdays coming up in next few weeks....it would impossible to avoid drink!

In may i have my aunts 60th birthday....BIG BIG BIG family/friends/horsey people party! everyone will be dolled up and done up to the T....thats my motivation with the giving up the bread....i dont want to be the bloated whale! Going to put a euro into the jar for every day i stay off bread! LOL

i had aswell...but with college....and lately with assignments and study....bread has crept in with a freaking avengence.

lol *chugs my can of diet coke* this first week in months i bought 6 pack of diet coke...need the caffine kick this week!

I was going to give up drink...but i have SO many birthdays coming up in next few weeks....it would impossible to avoid drink!

In may i have my aunts 60th birthday....BIG BIG BIG family/friends/horsey people party! everyone will be dolled up and done up to the T....thats my motivation with the giving up the bread....i dont want to be the bloated whale! Going to put a euro into the jar for every day i stay off bread! LOL

Just realised that giving up diet coke means giving up drinking as my choice of drink is diet coke and vodka. I might allow it for my drinking nights as I only drink every few weeks anyway, next week being one of them.

Similar to you I've been drinking a lot of diet coke lately to get through studying. So going to cut it out except for the 2 nights next week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

oh im going to compensate the lack of bread with LOTS of spuds!

spuds dont bloat me...and i cant eat loads they really fill me up....but when it comes to bread i am a freaking bottomless pit.....cutting out bread....also means i'm kinda automatically cutting out at least half the margarine i use LOL

i prob wont make it....but the effort to cut it out....should at least reduce the mount I scoff....

some days i've blown 15pp just on toast and butter....thats such a waste of points with very little nutrition actually going into my body!

Lady Lainy when you say cut out bread does that include pitta breads, wraps, naans, Melba toast, etc I'd be up for doing it but nit sure what I could eat for lunch in work if I didn't have my wrap but think it might shake things up a lil for me

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

3lbs lighter, il take it, not overlyjoyed as its my first week but il take it nonetheless

Ok Ill do it, ill give up crisps which is going to be very difficult as there are 2 big massive bags of nachos downstairs and ill try to give up fizzy drinks and switch to cordials instead to have with my Vodka. Oohhh I'm scared. I think I could give up biscuits too cos I eat alot of them but chocolate I just cant do.

Fair play to you with the bread, i dont eat that much but i couldnt deny myself a slice with my weekly fry or the odd day I have a slice with lunch.

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Lady Lainy when you say cut out bread does that include pitta breads, wraps, naans, Melba toast, etc I'd be up for doing it but nit sure what I could eat for lunch in work if I didn't have my wrap but think it might shake things up a lil for me

yep....gone are wraps, pittas, sliced pan (toast), home made brown bread, naans, baps. I dont really eat any other kind of bread apart from sliced pans.

hmmm the only "bread" like thing i'll let my self keep is the pizza base in the ww pizzas! those pizza's are life savers! so yummy and point friendly and i REALLY like them!

I've started having poached eggs and salad for my lunch's at home :) and the long breaks in college, the local pub does baked potatoes at lunch time :)

As you said...its going to force me to be creative and make me THINk about how i spend my points...

• Advertisement

Ok Ill do it, ill give up crisps which is going to be very difficult as there are 2 big massive bags of nachos downstairs and ill try to give up fizzy drinks and switch to cordials instead to have with my Vodka. Oohhh I'm scared. I think I could give up biscuits too cos I eat alot of them but chocolate I just cant do.

Fair play to you with the bread, i dont eat that much but i couldnt deny myself a slice with my weekly fry or the odd day I have a slice with lunch.

dont try to "give up" too many things...you'll go nuts by depraving your self...

Must stock up on rice cakes at the weekend. I used to have boiled egg on rice cakes...it was really quite yummy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement