Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders Debate part 2 :)

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

caseyann wrote: »
    Ah because the politics we have had down here has worked out so well?
    He is driven motivated and he is strong.
    The only draw back for some people is the pension fund.Time to email and ask for the answers people are worried about.

He did not have time to answer a complex question and detailed,shouldnt take any td 60 seconds to answer.If they can answer it as the others did means they are waffling as not complexed.
    Thats rubbish... when asked about his party's intentions about the HSE he went on a MASSIVE populist **** about his walk around Drogheda hospital and the poor people he saw there...

Thats dodging the question and playing to the mob.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Koyasan wrote: »
    Are they looking forward to a three way?

Em.... has anyone heard SF or the Greens people being allowed to speak yet?

I am not watching now,whats going on?
    Is it the same fiasco as before media controlling who the people vote for and hear as they have done all along :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Tucker Max

Paddy1965 wrote: »
    Hope you have some good ones in your area I haven't

They're terrible but not as bad as the main parties

I'd actually consider Sinn Fein but they're not running anyone in Dublin North

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He answered every question he was asked and didn't spoof around. He never got a chance to respond to Gilmores question as Gilmore wouldnt shut up to give him an opportunity to respond.
    Thats the problem here, people have the preconceived idea about Kenny, and no matter what he did tonight, that wouldnt change peoples opinion.

He didnt answer the questions, he just spoke the pre learned script that was closest to whatever the question was . .

Im not judging him on past performances , most people who think he was good tonight are benchmarking him against these poorer displays. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

What is it wih the Gormley love in?? He spoke through his behind. He did the same in Government. Surely people can see through this??

He talked and talked in power and did NOTHING. Come on people , Ye can surely see through that. Dear god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

DeVore wrote: »
    Thats rubbish... when asked about his parties intentions about the HSE he went on a MASSIVE populist **** about his walk around Drogheda hospital and the poor people he saw there...

Thats dodging the question and playing to the mob.

DeV.

Thats what contact us is for DeV,contact them and ask for the answers you want.http://www.sinnfein.ie/contact-us

Our core proposal is for a new universal public healthcare system for Ireland that provides care to all free at the point of delivery, on the basis of need alone, and funded from general fair and progressive taxation. We would establish a Health Funding Commission to help plan the transition to the new system.

“In the short term we would abolish prescription charges for medical card patients and introduce measures to reduce the cost of drugs by tackling waste and profiteering.

“We would restore Ministerial and Departmental responsibility for public health services, remove the excessive bureaucracy of the HSE and cap salaries at 100,000 euros.
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/20117

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

The Star front page tomorrow "Kenny he do it, Yes he can" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dedon wrote: »
    He talked and talked in power and did NOTHING. Come on people , Ye can surely see through that. Dear god.

The party had like 5 TDs in Government, of course they weren't able to enact all policy that they wanted.

Drumpot wrote: »
    What is obvious is that politics in this country is subjective . .

I support no party and think that Gormley was the most credible speaker tonite .

Martin showed a bit about him by being able to aggresively engage with Adams.

Kenny played the safe card by staying away from actual debate and keeping to what he was prepped pre debate

Adams is always good at debating but his policies lacked credibility.

Gilmore seems to be shrinking the closer we get to the election . .

Gormley credible?? What land do you live on? he was in power and did the same talking. Come on, he is a spoofer with no credibility.

Take off those green tinted glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

nesf wrote: »
    The party had like 5 TDs in Government, of course they weren't able to enact all policy that they wanted.
    Healy Rae did all right in getting what he wanted

• Advertisement

There were in power and talked and talked but did nothing. They supported in Anglo Bail out. They voted and protected FF. Think they had their hand in plenty.

I really don't think a mod should be on here protecting them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just like with the Progressive Democrats before, they had way too much governmental influence for a party without mainstream support - and not generally for the good I would argue.

One of the biggest flaws in our system, is the level of influence smaller parties have had on overall policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

There were in power and talked and talked but did nothing. They supported in Anglo Bail out. They voted and protected FF. Think they had their hand in plenty.

whatever they did or did not do, they did a lot of damage to the economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

FG and Labour supported the bailout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

watching it on Sky+, just finished now.

I heard Adams say that he'd be a Ninja for change - didn't I ?

Overall I think Gormley & Adams did best (won't be in government).
    Kenny & Gilmore talk in soundbites. (probably will be in goverment, sweet jebus).

Michael Martin - harder neck than a jockey's nether regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Kenny - survived the debate, but that's about it. took a few body blows, especially about his non-existent growth forecasts. Had he won this debate, they could have been hearding towards overall majority territory, but he blew it.

Gilmore - very middle of the road, got alot of his main points across, and got a few shots in, but nothing much new, and still very subdued compared to his usual Leader's Questions performance.

Martin - seems that last week was a one off, and was taken to the cleaners, especially by Gerry Adams. showed that a nothing has really changed for FF

Adams - Has well and truly put 2007 behind him, put across several good points, and handled Martin's deperation tactics very well. Because of the gaps still there in their economic policy they're unlikely to take votes of FG or Labour, but will take votes from the undecided/independent/protest voters

Gormley - very level headed and made some very strong points. if I had to call a winner it'd be him, and put me in my place after questioning his right to take part. Will probably be a bit too late tho, might save his own seat, but that will probably be about it, people still won't forget they danced with the devil for nearly 4 years.

flash1080 wrote: »
    FG and Labour supported the bailout too.

Were they in power??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

looks like the 11th hour don't vet the texts, a text there saying RTE is a FF/FG station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

was it only the guys on the 11th hour on rte2 that took enda kenny to be the clear winner from this??? and that he looked like he could be a great leader based on this debate???:confused:

OK he wasn't terrible but he sure as hell wasn't exceptional - solid but nothing outstanding that would suggest he can be a great leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

FG voted with the bailout Lab, didn't

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Were they in power??

No, but if they were they would've supported the bailout.

flash1080 wrote: »
    No, but if they were they would've supported the bailout.

They weren't actually in power and were not able to see the debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The debate wasn't great, but the discussion here was far worse.

I'd judge it a 5-way tie. Nobody messed up big-time, and that was what they each needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

Sick of the media pushing Enda Kenny.
    I mean, on the RTE debate show on network 2 right now, the first thing they talked about was does Enda Kenny look like taoiseach material... I mean come on! Thats hardly impartial!

Its not just RTE, its most of the media publications in the country.

Here here. He wasn't especially convincing imo, and all the Enda love makes me wonder if FG have some very strong supporters at work:eek:

Gilmore I thought did well overall, put some decent policies and ideas forward while still managing to jibe the others significantly (without being too 'panto').

As someone pointed out there was a lot of 'I agree with Eamon ...' being said. I just hope FG don't steal enough Labour momentom and then pull the mask back to reveal a FF evil twin.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Healy Rae did all right in getting what he wanted

Healy Rae didn't get any major policy changes through just some pork for his constituency. Ditto for the rest of the independents. Pork is easy to get, getting major policy done how you like, not so much.

Protecting them? Christ, all I did was point out that a small junior coalition partner won't get much policy of their's enacted in Government.

The same Gilmore who was milking the original bailout vote from 08 for the first 30 mins non stop tonight?

If he didn't look like a man who is panicking because the expected Labour mass surge of seats he so wanted is unlikely to happen now, then I don't know what debate you were watching.

Just like with the Progressive Democrats before, they had way too much governmental influence for a party without mainstream support - and not generally for the good I would argue.

One of the biggest flaws in our system, is the level of influence smaller parties have had on overall policy.

Well, it comes with the system we use. If you want single party Government support/campaign for a First past the post system. STV with large multiseat constituencies almost always results in coalition Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Shock Horror!! Topic number 1 up for discussion by the post debate analysis is the performance of the man who is most likely to be Taoiseach, and commenting on his appearance as leader, which has been greatly discussed in the last two weeks.

What else did you expect? Them to say "Adams did a great job, do you think he'll make a good Taoiseach?"

They began by discussing the topical issue.

• Advertisement

Well, it comes with the system we use. If you want single party Government support/campaign for a First past the post system. STV with large multiseat constituencies almost always results in coalition Government.

Single party govt. would make a welcome change from the last three decades non-stop!

Advertisement