Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

The dress would cost aprox 1000 to 5000 euro maybe half that depending on the dress, designer and shop or if the bride gets it second hand. The wedding its self could cost anything up to 5000 euro maybe less if you are lucky more likely it be more than that. So I'd expect the engagement ring be close to those prices but I'd expect an engagement ring to cost €1000 to €5000 at least. It is a matter of taste of the lady and I don't think you can put a price tag on a nice ring, that suits her and that shows her style/personality and most importantly shows her commitment, a promise to you!
    Are you really that precious and precocious?
    Of course you can put a price tag on the ring.
    A ring shows HER commitment?
    Maybe if she spent a months wages on a gift for the man, that would show her commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its true, it is how much engagement rings cost these days. Chances are a cheap engagement ring under 1,000 euro is a fake and likely to have fake diamonds! Now of course there are rings out there for general wear that don't cost much but they will wear down and getting settings changed in the likes is harder to achieve. Best to invest in a good quality ring less likely to have problems with it later in life for the lady in question. Like getting a decent ring it won't mark on her ring finger and leave a stain or something or the material won't cause an allergic reaction or something or won't cause a rash. Get what I mean lads?? Its a good investment to get a decent ring that will last the rest of her life!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Personally I demand at least 3 years anual salary, but if he really loved me he'd be too rich to even need a job.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Just get what you can reasonably afford. The meaning behind it is more important than the price tag.

Its sorts funny how in many advertisements it shows when a couple goes to shopping, the women always end up looking at some uber expensive jewellery ****e which is man is supposedly obliged to buy because money can't buy love but for everything else there's mastercard!!!

This is how corporations control our thinking...

If an engagement ring is an "investment", then your girlfriend is a prostitute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The dress would cost aprox 1000 to 5000 euro maybe half that depending on the dress, designer and shop or if the bride gets it second hand. The wedding its self could cost anything up to 5000 euro maybe less if you are lucky more likely it be more than that. So I'd expect the engagement ring be close to those prices but I'd expect an engagement ring to cost €1000 to €5000 at least. It is a matter of taste of the lady and I don't think you can put a price tag on a nice ring, that suits her and that shows her style/personality and most importantly shows her commitment, a promise to you!

If you need some gaudy overpriced metal on your finger to show people your personality then you can't have much of a personality to begin with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Its true, it is how much engagement rings cost these days. Chances are a cheap engagement ring under 1,000 euro is a fake and likely to have fake diamonds! Now of course there are rings out there for general wear that don't cost much but they will wear down and getting settings changed in the likes is harder to achieve. Best to invest in a good quality ring less likely to have problems with it later in life for the lady in question. Like getting a decent ring it won't mark on her ring finger and leave a stain or something or the material won't cause an allergic reaction or something or won't cause a rash. Get what I mean lads?? Its a good investment to get a decent ring that will last the rest of her life!:cool:
    Nonsense tbh. 'Pay a fortune for a ring or be scarred for life!'

Just because you get a 9ct ring instead of an 18ct one, doesn't make it fake. Having a small diamond or (god forbid!) a sapphire or something doesn't make a ring fake or second rate.

To be fair, guys who marry women as materialistic as that are getting what they deserve. They can't say they weren't warned.

Chances are a cheap engagement ring under 1,000 euro is a fake and likely to have fake diamonds!
    Just blatantly untrue, and a massive insult to the good folk who buy rings for less than 1k.
    ridiculous statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Screw them, just dont marry them! The type of bird who really cares about that ridiculous ceremony ain't for me anyway.

Are you really that precious and precocious?

:confused:
    Of course you can put a price tag on the ring.
    A ring shows HER commitment?
    Maybe if she spent a months wages on a gift for the man, that would show her commitment.

Is there any harm in her doing that whether it be a general gift or occasion gift or even a gift for the wedding for him. I'm sure she be willing to do so in return if its something he really wants. She be spending money on the bridal parties dresses and outfits (bridesmaids etc) as well as the groom's and groomsmen's outfits probably! Flowers and cake and so on you probably pay for the major things, she probably pay for her own dress more likely. Is there any reason why the money spent on the wedding can't be split down the middle and each partner/parents pay for it equally? For all we know some women might actually buy their wedding ring with the help of their fianceé while choosing a ring she would like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Just a thought, how do any of ye know a ring you buy is worth what you're paying for it? Some one in my family deals in jewelry and she warned me about getting a ring cleaned and valued, as many jewelers replace the stones with fakes. and in reality, how would any of ye know the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

For me I have a ring that I love because of the meaning behind it. Yes - its a bit unusual but nothing too showy. Until i got engaged I had no idea about quality of the diamond - so does it really matter? I still dont know if I have a quality diamond because i've never asked the question.

My expectations were that my future husband would be sensible and not blow a fortune on a ring, but that he would to give a little thought to it. I'd rather the money was spent on creating lifetime memories (holidays of a lifetime, celebrations with friend etc). He got it pretty spot on.

The eternity ring is a different matter - wait until you can afford it and spend a complete fortune on the biggest diamonds ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

What's important to invest in is the relationship itself, and that need not be financially. Seriously, a ring is a good investment? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Trust me, the average wedding comes to more than €5k. We have weddings on most weekends, usually 2 or 3, about 90 a year. Every one of them drops a lot more than €5k. Average spend in our place on a wedding is about €11.5k on meals, accommodation, and drinks. Average numbers about 195 pax.

Add in the dress, the suits, all the rings, the cars, the band, the DJ, etc etc, it really adds up.

I/We are organising our wedding at the moment, and we're not having a flash wedding, but all told, it's going to cost about €16k.

Her engagement ring cost £695, bought up north. We happened to be looking at them for the craic, saw one that she really liked, and we bought it. I didn't propose for another month.

And expect the ring to cost at least that? Expect? GTFO. Expect a slap in the chops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Such messing.

The engagement ring is a big gesture. Look at what it symbolises. Different strokes for different folks, but is it so terrible for a person to go overboard in buying the physical symbol that represents the day they asked their partner to spend the rest of their life with them? A little romance please??

(I'm going to get blasted, but I stand by what I say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

xoxyx wrote: »
    Such messing.

The engagement ring is a big gesture. Look at what it symbolises. Different strokes for different folks, but is it so terrible for a person to go overboard in buying the physical symbol that represents the day they asked their partner to spend the rest of their life with them? A little romance please??

Romance is not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Novella wrote: »
    Romance is not money.
    Money is sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

xoxyx wrote: »
    Such messing.

But does the symbol really needs to be worth a certain value in money?

Sure if one's willing to buy an expensive ring as a gesture of love and commitment, sort of like saying "everything I do, I do it for you", "you are worth far more than any rock or stone on this planet" sorta cheesy crap, then its fine.

But if its like "OMG, I can't like accept a ring which is less than a couple of bazillion qutons because I'm so worth it!!!" then its a little sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Romance is not money.
    OisinT wrote: »
    Money is sexy.

Sex =/= Romance.

Can't believe I said that.

I like spending money, I really do, but herself wouldn't wear a ring that cost €5k. She would be terrified of losing/damaging it!

I can materialistic myself not denying that but its the done deal these days. If that is the case ye don't know women at all when it comes to rings or am I just hanging out with the cliquéd ones?

A ring shows commitment and love the price of the ring shouldn't matter if you are commited to that person for life and love each other. Love doesn't have a price tag. A ring is probably the most expensive thing you ever buy her though and it is worth it to take quality into consideration. Something simple ya and not too extravagant but a small stone or diamond wouldn't matter or whether its carates is big or small. Its the carates, stone/diamond(s) will determine the price of the ring!! Its just a cheap ring with saphire with it might look cheap but then again you can just tell by the diamonds whether its cheap looking/common looking or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Money is sexy.

Very much depends on who is flashing it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

What's important to invest in is the relationship itself, and that need not be financially. Seriously, a ring is a good investment? Seriously?

A ring that you are going to wear every day which carries such amazing memories is a good investment.
    Romance is not money.

No it is not. But saving for the perfect gift that your partner will cherish forever has something to do with love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Money is sexy.

money will buy all the sex you want :pac:

Sex =/= Romance.

Can't believe I said that.

I like spending money, I really do, but herself wouldn't wear a ring that cost €5k. She would be terrified of losing/damaging it!

Not always, is that not a man's way of thinking, sure its not the other way around: romance then sex - thats a woman's thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

All you need is love.

And shelter, food, drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallystar

Over the last 7 years, 3 of my colleagues at work got e-rings costing over 9k. They found it necessary to share this information, along with where they bought it, when they first got engaged:eek:. They were all trying to outdo each other. These 3 marriages are now over so the rings are just collecting dust in the drawer. My 'lil bit of bling cost 2k and the comments from them were like 'ahhh, its so cute' or 'it's so dainty'. Not that I give a sh*t though. 6 years on I still LOVE IT! Twas one of the v rare occasions that my OH did something spontaneous and romantic so that means more to me than anything:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

for me the romance is getting down on one knee and asking to get married, the proposal is just as important, get that right and you will be flying. Pick somewhere that you knew means alot to your partner. For me the ring was not that important. Have to say shopping for an engagement ring was probably the most boring thing I have ever done, after 4 shops I was loosing the will to live ( am the female) thankfully by the 5th shop I saw something I liked:D and it did not cost too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

This post has been deleted.

I know a guy who is about to propose to one of those girls! She picked out the ring (about 9k) and told him that if he were to propose that's the ring he should do it with. He's whipped.

As for myself, my first engagement ring was garish and hideous (he was overseas most of the time so had nowt else to spend his cash on). Should there be a second time round I'm not too interested in how much the ring costs - it's the thought that counts.

I think paying for a ring that is more than 5k is a bit much though paying more than that for anything else for the wedding maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I'd say between €5,000-10,000 if you can afford it and you already own a house.

Otherwise, go cheap but quality. You can always upgrade the diamond later. Put the money into a nice band and setting.

Hellooooooooooo Oisín, how are you doin'!!!!!!

Advertisement