Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm amazed that a supposedly intelligent species like ourselves still does things like this. I mean it's crazy. working your arse off to pay someone else to provide you with something pretty, to give to someone you want to spend time with. I mean, it's materialism in it's most basic form. It's seen as the done thing, but the original idea was to 'buy' you from your family, to say you were spoken for, and your family didn't have to support you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

This thread is seriously lacking inuendo.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Two months wage is the "rule" I believe

Around my age group I know a lot of engaged couples and I'm hearing good things about going to the source, Antwerp. Bring your haggling skills with you.
    Irish jewelers need their markup so you can head to Antwerp, treat yourself to a weekend away and still save money

Please be careful if going to Antwerp, it is a well known fact that a lot of the high street Jewellers in Antwerp are fronts for the Russian mob. Much better if you can get an appointment with Diamond factory and buy a loose diamond,and then get it set at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

My E-ring cost about 250E. Pretty ring.
    No need to pay crazy money.

Go on a holiday with it instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ahaha humans spend thousands of euro on a useless tiny shiney rock. You people are idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

isnt it meant to be a months wages?

I was told 3 months wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

bluewolf wrote: »
    You are, I'm not. That's borderline dumping offense in my book

I dislike the idea of a diamond ring though - sapphire please :D

Mine is sapphire and white gold. I love it and it did not come close to even one month's salary :) We have better things to spend our money on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jujibee wrote: »
    Mine is sapphire and white gold. I love it and it did not come close to even one month's salary :) We have better things to spend our money on.

That sounds perfect! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

All I can say is, is bo11ox to the rule of thumb. It's what you can afford! It's only meant to be a symbol. We travelled to Antwerp for the weekend and I got a lovely ring for less than HALF the price I'd have paid in Dublin.

Why would you want to waste so much money on a ring, when you can save for the deposit on a house, a great holiday, an extension, a part payment on a new car or whatever.

I'm pretty practical person, and the rule we made was, that if we ever needed to we'd sell it! I'm not remotely romantic and if I had to I'd see it tomorrow, no question!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I wouldn't care how much an engagement ring cost as long as it wasn't hideous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nothing, I hate rings.

An engagement handbag now...

Look here, 27 quid and you're laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

weiland79 wrote: »
    Please be careful if going to Antwerp, it is a well known fact that a lot of the high street Jewellers in Antwerp are fronts for the Russian mob. Much better if you can get an appointment with Diamond factory and buy a loose diamond,and then get it set at home.

You need to go to the Jewish district if going to Antwerp, so you should remember that they are closed on a Saturday! They are legit and they will have all the relevant certs for their diamonds etc; It's a great city to go out in to. Some great bars!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

hondasam wrote: »
    min € 3000 and max €6000.

LOL
    Its not the amount that you spend that matters its what you think she will like that counts!!!! Make sure you know her taste first....and ask permission from her family....us girls are old fashioned in that respect...well i am!!! If u wanna get the ring yourself take a ring she already has and get it another cm or 2 bigger.....bring a friend of hers or a family member if your not sure....good luck!!!!

We aren't mindreaders.

If I had to ask permission to marry a girl I'm with, I would need my head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

This one month, three month rule is pure shíte i think. The couple should know each other well enough to know the amount to spend.

Alot of people try to out do each other in the amount they spend on a ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I know a lot of people would disagree but I would want an engagement ring that would probably cost between €1,500 and €3,000. It's not uncommon to spend several €1,000s on a wedding. €1,500 would be spent on a special holiday. An engagement ring is something that you are going to wear every day for the rest of your life - why not spash out!?!

These days, both partners pick out the ring. I would want to pay half. But I would be getting the perfect ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd say between €5,000-10,000 if you can afford it and you already own a house.

Otherwise, go cheap but quality. You can always upgrade the diamond later. Put the money into a nice band and setting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

was always led to believe it was 3 months wages too.

I don't htink it matters once you like the ring though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

xoxyx wrote: »
    I know a lot of people would disagree but I would want an engagement ring that would probably cost between €1,500 and €3,000. It's not uncommon to spend several €1,000s on a wedding. €1,500 would be spent on a special holiday. An engagement ring is something that you are going to wear every day for the rest of your life - why not spash out!?!

These days, both partners pick out the ring. I would want to pay half. But I would be getting the perfect ring!
    But what if you see the perfect ring and it's only €500? or less? Would you snub it because it's not expensive enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Rings and spending money and extravagance mean nothing to me. I wouldn't expect a ring that cost a lot, I wouldn't expect promises of forever. What matters is here and now, and as long as I'm happy now and he's happy now, well that's enough for me. You can't buy happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Was wondering about this myself as am going ring shopping soon...

I make about $100k-$120k per year, but theres no way I am dropping 35k on a ring.
    A third was NEVER the "done thing", it was 1.5 or 2 months, but likewise theres not a chance I am spending 10k or even 5k on a ring.

Ridiculous. I will pick her up a nice 1.5-2 carat round cut platinum or white gold carat ring, tasteful, durable(!), not tacky and I will spend 1000$ or 1500$ and she will love it.

Anyways I don´t even know if I want to spend cash on a diamond, I dont like the "idea" of diamonds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

Can you insure a ring against loss? Or just theft? My cousing lost his wedding ring doing the sillage. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The three months salary idea was created by De Beers, a massive diamond company. Marketing department did well on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Waste of money IMO... Better of saving the money for the honeymoon, or, y'know... the future!

phasers wrote: »
    But what if you see the perfect ring and it's only €500? or less? Would you snub it because it's not expensive enough?

Not at all. That's why I said it would probably cost between €1,500 and €3,000. I'm basing that on the (endless :P) discussions I've had with friends who are getting engaged and choosing rings. Once it was something that I and my OH loved, I wouldn't care if it cost €10 - as long as it was good lasting quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dave! wrote: »
    Waste of money IMO... Better of saving the money for the honeymoon, or, y'know... the future!

An onion ring would do just as well. And it's nutritious as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

OisinT wrote: »
    I'd say between €5,000-10,000 if you can afford it and you already own a house.

Get out to fuck!!!

Are you for real?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Twee. wrote: »
    The three months salary idea was created by De Beers, a massive diamond company. Marketing department did well on that one.

yeah im amazed nobody goes for the artificial diamonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I would be so delighted that the man I loved wanted to marry me, I wouldn't give a rats' ass if the ring was from the Hallo'ween barn brak.

Just as long as it didn't belong to his doomed mother who had a horrible marriage :eek: alá Kate & William....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bluewolf wrote: »
    yeah im amazed nobody goes for the artificial diamonds
    I've been thinking about it and I think I will go that option.

Mainly for ethical reasons more than anything else. Haven't done much research into cost/quality, but it's something I could seriously consider when it comes to that time.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    Can you insure a ring against loss? Or just theft? My cousing lost his wedding ring doing the sillage. :P

Oh yeah, you can. I think it can be added into house insurance. Insure the hell out of it!!!

Advertisement