Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

0verblood wrote: »
    Get out to fuck!!!

Are you for real?
    Yeah, why not? I own a home and have no debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

save a fortune and go to some eastern european for the stag and get a more reasonably-priced ring while you're there, as usual they're a rip-off in Ireland, Ukraine has really cheap gold as does Poland and Czech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

honestly. my ring has no big diamond or gold band im not into that kind of thing,

he bought me a ring that had 3 ruby's in a white gold band,he bought it because it is my birth stone and our daughters. It's something i can pass onto her when she's older, i love the ring, the whole sentiment behind it far outweighs the cost,

in fact cost shouldn't matter once you find the right ring for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OisinT wrote: »
    I've been thinking about it and I think I will go that option.

Mainly for ethical reasons more than anything else. Haven't done much research into cost/quality, but it's something I could seriously consider when it comes to that time.

Well they are flawless compressed carbon so :pac: pay less for better quality, that's how I see it.
    Apparently the shine is a different colour if you use one of those fancy jeweller glasses things, but who cares about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

She bought her own, it cost € 220.00.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well they are flawless compressed carbon so :pac: pay less for better quality, that's how I see it.
    Apparently the shine is a different colour if you use one of those fancy jeweller glasses things, but who cares about that!
    The nerd in me also loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I think the girl should buy the ring for me because i'm great.
    In fact, i think she should buy two in case i lose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I'd say between €5,000-10,000 if you can afford it and you already own a house.
    I've been thinking about it and I think I will go that option.

Mainly for ethical reasons more than anything else. Haven't done much research into cost/quality, but it's something I could seriously consider when it comes to that time.
    The nerd in me also loves it.

Now all you you need is a girlfriend...

:D I'm messing, I'm messing, I'm messing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭andrew cross

Mrmoe wrote: »
    This thread is seriously lacking inuendo.:eek:
    it depends on how many blow jobs she gives;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Jesus this thread is insane. €000's on a ring?! :eek:

I would have thought that a couple starting out would have better uses for such an amount of money, rather than lumping out to impress her friends.

By and by, with the woman being able to propose on leap years... how much will she fork out on a ring for the man :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

phasers wrote: »
    Nothing, I hate rings.

An engagement handbag now...

Look here, 27 quid and you're laughing

ffs, I was in Argos just earlier.
    xoxyx wrote: »
    Not at all. That's why I said it would probably cost between €1,500 and €3,000. I'm basing that on the (endless :P) discussions I've had with friends who are getting engaged and choosing rings. Once it was something that I and my OH loved, I wouldn't care if it cost €10 - as long as it was good lasting quality.

The fact that women talk about these type of things creeps me out.
    Women are creepy.

Anyhow, people feel comfortable wearing a 5k/10k ring all the time, everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

I spent 1500, knew the ring was right for her as soon as i saw it.

I think people should only spend what they are comfortable with. If you can afford alot more than the average then why not, you've worked hard for that money and if she's worth it, then go ahead. But i know if i had spent 5k on a ring and she found out, i'd have been murdered.

Not at all. That's why I said it would probably cost between €1,500 and €3,000. I'm basing that on the (endless :P) discussions I've had with friends who are getting engaged and choosing rings. Once it was something that I and my OH loved, I wouldn't care if it cost €10 - as long as it was good lasting quality.

How about a tattoo of a ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Now all you you need is a girlfriend...

:D I'm messing, I'm messing, I'm messing! :D

no woman could afford him :pac:

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The fact that women talk about these type of things creeps me out.
    Women are creepy.

These are girls who are getting engaged to their boyfriends but picking out the ring first. With their boyfriends. The guys know this already! :D

ascanbe wrote: »
    Never a good idea.

ascanbe wrote: »

Nah. For one, they tend to smudge. It's a bad area to get a tattoo on.

For two, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The dress would cost aprox 1000 to 5000 euro maybe half that depending on the dress, designer and shop or if the bride gets it second hand. The wedding its self could cost anything up to 5000 euro maybe less if you are lucky more likely it be more than that. So I'd expect the engagement ring be close to those prices but I'd expect an engagement ring to cost €1000 to €5000 at least. It is a matter of taste of the lady and I don't think you can put a price tag on a nice ring, that suits her and that shows her style/personality and most importantly shows her commitment, a promise to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mont wrote: »
    Depends on the income but anyone with a half-decent job should be spending 5k minimum.

As long as you buy me something for 5k minimum too, we have a deal :pac:

But seriously, opinions like that make me laugh. It is a ring, they are all circular. You pick a nice one and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Twee. wrote: »
    The three months salary idea was created by De Beers, a massive diamond company. Marketing department did well on that one.
    They also came up with the idea that a diamond was something beautiful and a "must" on a wedding ring.
    Clever, since they control most of the diamond industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

A few hundred? I would never go NEAR €1000 euro for a ring. That madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Just wondering is the engagement ring going to be the wedding ring too or that an extra ring?

The dress would cost aprox 1000 to 5000 euro maybe half that depending on the dress, designer and shop or if the bride gets it second hand. The wedding its self could cost anything up to 5000 euro maybe less if you are lucky more likely it be more than that. So I'd expect the engagement ring be close to those prices but I'd expect an engagement ring to cost €1000 to €5000 at least. It is a matter of taste of the lady and I don't think you can put a price tag on a nice ring, that suits her and that shows her style/personality and most importantly shows her commitment, a promise to you!

Unfortunately jeweller's do; and they're the ones selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Mont wrote: »
    Just wondering is the engagement ring going to be the wedding ring too or that an extra ring?

A wedding ring/wedding band ring is extra usually both couples get the same ring whether gold or silver or whatever. Often plain and not too fancy maybe the bride might like a little diamond or sparkle on that but its the engagement ring would suffice for that. The size or even shape is the same depends on the couple's tastes. Sometimes they might like to put an inscription on the ring in the inside.

Best place I know is on 5th avenue in NYC. Can get a good bargin if you try but still expensive depending on the diamond stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

€2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Oh dear god...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

These are girls who are getting engaged to their boyfriends but picking out the ring first. With their boyfriends. The guys know this already! :D

I think he means that some women actually have minimum prices for a ring, wedding dress etc in their heads long before marriage is on the cards.

Well it freaks me out a little anyway when I see how some girls talk about weddings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

If you think about the price of an engagement ring, wedding rings, dress, honeymoon and the wedding its self, you would better off just getting a quality tv and a lifetimes sky subscription. You would get much happier times out of that. And im not taking the piss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't get why love has to be so expensive.

Like why does there need to be a price tag on every thing?
    How expensive the wedding should be, how expensive the dress should be, how expensive the dress should be yada yada...

Why does it need to be measured by the expense of the ring or size of wedding thrown? Its all just superficial tat.

I despise capitalism at times...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

weiland79 wrote: »
    Actually rule of thumb is a month and a half (I'm a jeweller). But lets be realistic here, that's a lot of money for most people these day's so the rule is more or less out the window. On average people are spending between 500 and 1500.
    Odd, the rule of thumb used to be one month. Not surprising thought that jewellers would gradually try to inflate it though :)

By the way, do people know how much their rings are worth, as opposed to what they pay for them? I imagine the mark-up must be at least 50%.

If you melt down the gold and sell the diamond of a 5k ring, I'd be astonished if you had ingredients worth more than 2k. I have a problem with that.

Advertisement