Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rodin wrote: »
    I look forward to his satirical take on the Prophet Mohammed
    On the contrary he seems to be using the Muslim faith to highlight the double standards and hypocrisies of our own society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 allywheels

I watched one episode as i'd heard from a mate that it was funny.

I didn't find it one bit funny. The only emotion i felt during watching was deep anger and hatred for everyone involved in the making of the show. It was that bad. It boiled my blood. It was truely embarrassing. I know some of it is aimed at the D'Unbelievables type audience and others parts at the alternative, abstract, and zany comedy fans. It misses both targets by far.

Whats left of the TV Licence money after Pat Kenny et al are paid, RTE is putting into this cr*p??!!??

"Oscar Wilde was a qwaaeeeer" Hilarious stuff (not)

As i said, my mate likes it, so, 'horses for courses' i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

allywheels wrote: »

Exactly.
    I actually enjoy this show. I can understand why people are turned off by Savage though as his humour is so in your face. He goes so close to the bone sometimes but I really think he is very funny.

Comedians will always have some people that think they are hilarious and others will detest them. Its the nature of comedy.

I think its quite brave of RTE to let him run amok so freely tbh.

It provokes a lot of debate in my house and that is always a good sign imho.
    Especially for a comedy sketch show.
    :D

allywheels wrote: »
    I watched one episode as i'd heard from a mate that it was funny.

I didn't find it one bit funny. The only emotion i felt during watching was deep anger and hatred for everyone involved in the making of the show. It was that bad. It boiled my blood. It was truely embarrassing. I know some of it is aimed at the D'Unbelievables type audience and others parts at the alternative, abstract, and zany comedy fans. It misses both targets by far.

Whats left of the TV Licence money after Pat Kenny et al are paid, RTE is putting into this cr*p??!!??

"Oscar Wilde was a qwaaeeeer" Hilarious stuff (not)

you like "not" jokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    makes you think that he was bullied mercilessly as a boy.
    Definitely, at Blackrock or some place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

In fairness to McSavage, much and all as it pains me to say this, the savage eye is very funny.

it's missing from rte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya just went to watch and saw that, hope it wasnt the joe duffy brigade again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Missing for me too. I've only seen half of it as the Shockwave Player kept crashing on me. Maybe it'll be back later though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

To be fair I think alot of the opprobrium is simply down to the fact that people seem to detest McSavage. I watched the first series and this episode without that burden as i had no opinion on him and really enjoyed it.The sketches themselves are actually hilarious, I think its excellent satire well done showing the ludicrous nature of homophobia, corrupt politicians, aloof judiciary, imcompetent Gardaí, church involvement in the state etc and shines a light on alot of the inadequacies we have as Irish people. "He fixed the road, he fixed the road. I voted for his father, you'll vote for his son" If this isnt the deplorable state of our political system in a nutshell i dont know what is.

The Catholic church gags where the priest snatches the child at the beginning of every scene are hilarious. I know it's Jimmy Carr/Frankie Boyle type stuff and some people arent going to like that.

• Advertisement

iPwnage wrote: »
    ya just went to watch and saw that, hope it wasnt the joe duffy brigade again

Was he forced to call his obviously Joe Duffy character John due to complaints or something, when that midget hopped up on his back, blew a horn and started riding and whipping him i nearly fell off the chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gah. Watching The Savage Eye was supposed to be my treat to myself for washing up. Why can't I find it on RTE Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

i laughed hard at it!!!! really didnt think id like it

Aruba08 wrote: »
    i laughed hard at it!!!! really didnt think id like it

You should try and get hold of the first series. It's of a similar ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Absolutely detest McSavage as a stand-up. Tired formula, repetitive to the end, and had the same routine for about 6 years of just repeating the same bully busking jokes he'd peddled to the grave. Wouldn't go to his show even if it was free.

However I'm really enjoying the Savage Eye, its great to finally see a somewhat "edgy" comedy that satirises Ireland, its been long overdue. McSavage plays his parts great, save the odd dud, and the supporting cast of McDonnell and more so Colleary is great.
    Whilst its not "the best thing" RTE have ever produced (The Panel when Dara O'Briain was host to name one), I think its a great addition to Monday nights and I hope it sticks around.

And the running Catholic Church gag is hilarious each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The Savage Eye is to be discussed Sunday coming on Joe Duffy's "Spirit Level".

The agenda: Is it blasphemous?

As an aside, surely only Joe Duffy could host a religious programme named after a builder's tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ah ffs... Think i'll have a gander at it though, just to laugh at backwards paddy talking ****e as per usual when it comes to religious matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I can't believe how funny this show is, some genuine laugh out loud moments which are rare for me cause I'm such a miserable bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

delaad wrote: »
    The Savage Eye is to be discussed Sunday coming on Joe Duffy's "Spirit Level".

The agenda: Is it blasphemous?

As an aside, surely only Joe Duffy could host a religious programme named after a builder's tool!

lol, that post just made my day !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

eth0_ wrote: »
    Can anyone make a list of everyone he ripped off in this show? Hall's pictoral weekly, Langerland....

This Savage Eye sketch is a carbon copy rip off.
    The original was done by Mel Smith, and Griff Rhys Jones, on 'Not the 9 O Clock News' in the 80s.
    It's identical.

Original @ 6:37 below

I tried to mention it to them on the RTE youtube channel, but with comment approval on, I doub't they'll post it :D

• Advertisement

That's very far from 'identical'. Concept is very similar bit it's written very different. The only common factor is that it's the university challenge shtick.

Loads of Irish-isms in the savage eye sketch, snitching on the other team as opposed to giving away crucial facts to an investigation, no policeman, no cunning presenter giving out remissions for right answers, and the idea of the uk one was the fact of it being an exercise in ratting the other criminals out whereas the Irish one is more 'look at these scumbags'

It's not nearly identical, just a similar concept.

do you reckon it's a coincidence that the RTE YouTube channel, removed it as their featured video, 15 minutes after I informed them it was a rip off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

marcsignal wrote: »
    do you reckon it's a coincidence that the RTE YouTube channel, removed it as their featured video, 15 minutes after I informed them it was a rip off ?

No.

The only similarities are the fact that its a crime university challenge with criminals.

The dialogue is completely different as is the point of the sketch.

I doubt RTE removed the video because of your posted video, could be hundreds of reasons they changed around.

Its a great spot you made and its probably the inspiration for the sketch, but its not nearly identical.

Colmo52 wrote: »
    No.

Seems like a strange thing for them to do, to remove a featured video, with good stats that were only getting better, especially when you see what they replaced it with.....

Why both University Challenge ? Seriously, would you not agree its at least plausible they saw the original, or were vaguely fimilar with it ?

not knocking the programme btw, in fact, i've never seen it.

marcsignal wrote: »
    Seems like a strange thing for them to do, to remove a featured video, with good stats that were only geting better, especially when you see what they replaced it with.....

Don't they switch over their featured video every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That's very far from 'identical'. Concept is very similar bit it's written very different. The only common factor is that it's the university challenge shtick.

Loads of Irish-isms in the savage eye sketch, snitching on the other team as opposed to giving away crucial facts to an investigation, no policeman, no cunning presenter giving out remissions for right answers, and the idea of the uk one was the fact of it being an exercise in ratting the other criminals out whereas the Irish one is more 'look at these scumbags'

It's not nearly identical, just a similar concept.

Well it's pretty close to be fair, it's not just the university challenge concept, the teams being comprised of prisoners can hardly be put down to coincidence.

I like the Savage Eye, but i noticed a couple of sketches in the first series which were also fairly similar to ones i'd seen before elsewhere. either way he's ripping off other peoples ideas, which is a bit pathetic.

Don't they switch over their featured video every day?

Depends, the Rubberbandits one was up there for ages. I guess it's down to how popular it gets, and leaving it as the feature making it easier to find..

tbh, if some of 'Savage Eye' is being influenced in some way by 'Not the 9 O Clock News', I'm gonna give it a look, NTNOCN was great :)

Well it's pretty close to be fair, it's not just the university challenge concept, the teams being comprised of prisoners can hardly be put down to coincidence.

I like the Savage Eye, but i noticed a couple of sketches in the first series which were also fairly similar to ones i'd seen before elsewhere. either way he's ripping off other peoples ideas, which is a bit pathetic.

Well the "shove it up your hole" part is very Irish.

The prisoner introductions of the knacker"howaya" for mountjoy and "tiocfaidh ar law" for portlaoise were very Irish.

Calling the prisoner "Mad Yoke" but not giving his name, and the other team fessing him up is original.

"Section 8 of the its alright to give your wife a few slaps every now and again act"

The junkie saying the works is the most common €50 sex act.

They're all very-Irish and I can't see any of that in the earlier video. He may have taken the concept but he's made it very Irish and in my opinion very different to the Not the 9 O'clock news.

Christ I'm defending McSavage, someone get me committed! :)

• Advertisement

Christ I'm defending McSavage, someone get me committed! :)

LOL!! :D

Advertisement