Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just watched the latest show on the rte player. Yup its good. Not as good as some of the excellent ones last year but sure its early days.

Highlight was that oul fella in the pub talkin about the qweeeeeaaars!!!.One of the funniest sketches on irish & uk tv at the moment.:D Feckin hilarious character. Snorts & ladders was funny as well.

Looking forward to the rest of the series. Jesus its unreal watching some of those absolutely sh!te american sitcoms & then switching over to this. Proper comedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this show is a pox on the rte budget

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Why is the THE Savage Eye no longer on RTE Player?

I have to say that the satire is spot on and I think that he has got it right attacking the sacred cows "the church" and the "legal system". From the trailers I see the medical consultants are in the crosshairs. Pity he's not the politician in his family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Jazzy wrote: »
    this show is a pox on the rte budget

Don't watch it then. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Repeat on NOW on Network 2.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

5 minutes and I want to kill some body!

So predictable and boring old jokes on

Church, Provos, British, Gay etc being done using the same ****ty jokes with different characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Interesting that RTE censored the repeat.

The Osama radio phone-in in the original had a line akin to "shoe-bombers-ok, flying planes into towers-ok, paedophiles-no"

The repeat censored out the "flying planes into towers-ok" part and just blanked the audio for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Fattes wrote: »
    5 minutes and I want to kill some body!

So predictable and boring old jokes on

Church, Provos, British, Gay etc being done using the same ****ty jokes with different characters!

Switch channel or are you being forced to watch it? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Absolutely detest McSavage as a stand-up. Tired formula, repetitive to the end, and had the same routine for about 6 years of just repeating the same bully busking jokes he'd peddled to the grave. Wouldn't go to his show even if it was free.

However I'm really enjoying the Savage Eye, its great to finally see a somewhat "edgy" comedy that satirises Ireland, its been long overdue. McSavage plays his parts great, save the odd dud, and the supporting cast of McDonnell and more so Colleary is great.
    Whilst its not "the best thing" RTE have ever produced (The Panel when Dara O'Briain was host to name one), I think its a great addition to Monday nights and I hope it sticks around.

And the running Catholic Church gag is hilarious each and every time.

Verbatim FBP. Detest his stand up and bullying style of street "comedy" but I really like The Savage Eye. Especially like his take on Joe Duffy or the church. My missus near wet herself at the Pat Kenny/frontline skit. Its one of the very few shows currently on RTE that makes paying a TV license fee less of a pain in the hole.

I feel seriously conflicted saying positive things about McSavage btw....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Joe Duffy's Spirit Level is on now on RTE1. Does he talk about The Savage Eye on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Interesting that RTE censored the repeat.

The Osama radio phone-in in the original had a line akin to "shoe-bombers-ok, flying planes into towers-ok, paedophiles-no"

The repeat censored out the "flying planes into towers-ok" part and just blanked the audio for it.

Weird edit. I presume someone complained that it was making fun of 9/11 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Watched the repeat last night,laughed my arse off.
    Recorder set for tonights ep,cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Overpay us, Overpay us! Overpay us!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

:DHa that consultant sketch was excellent! I was in the stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Another good show tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Joe Duffy sketches are hilarious. The gimp midget was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

allywheels wrote: »
    I watched one episode as i'd heard from a mate that it was funny.

I didn't find it one bit funny. The only emotion i felt during watching was deep anger and hatred for everyone involved in the making of the show. It was that bad. It boiled my blood. It was truely embarrassing. I know some of it is aimed at the D'Unbelievables type audience and others parts at the alternative, abstract, and zany comedy fans. It misses both targets by far.

Whats left of the TV Licence money after Pat Kenny et al are paid, RTE is putting into this cr*p??!!??

"Oscar Wilde was a qwaaeeeer" Hilarious stuff (not)

As i said, my mate likes it, so, 'horses for courses' i suppose.

You think it's aimed at the same audience as D'Unbelievables???

Sweet Jesus.....

Best satire ever produced by RTE television and possibly the best comedy to boot (not that they have much decent to measure it against).

Very clever stuff despite what people's opinions on McSavage are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I found tonights episode deeply moving to be honest! It seemed to hit the nail on every subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I didn't find tonight's episode as funny as last week's/the last series.

They seemed to be carefully editing the scene with the 'Minister for Hospitals' so that that the pint glass in front of her didn't become too obvious. I wonder who they could be hinting at there:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I never liked McSavage but this is quality stuff, mostly hits with a few duds. He's obviously a much smarter person than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I liked the guy explaining to the confused mother why her kid was a little fatty from eating too much food and not exercising.

"The hole in his mouth is twenty times bigger than the hole in his arse".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought every sketch tonight hit the mark, I think it just gets better. I never coped the minister for breathlessness, obviously based on Lenihan, was called Seanin Beag, a good touch.

And the song at the end about the effects of not brushing your teeth should be mandatory in all primary schools :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting slant from a colleague there!! McSavage has probably contributed more to the country with last nights episode than any other member of his family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Interesting slant from a colleague there!! McSavage has probably contributed more to the country with last nights episode than any other member of his family!!

Its strange the way life works out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

McSavage for Leader of FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Big Game wrote: »
    You think it's aimed at the same audience as D'Unbelievables???

Sweet Jesus.....

Best satire ever produced by RTE television and possibly the best comedy to boot (not that they have much decent to measure it against).

Very clever stuff despite what people's opinions on McSavage are.....

I cant believe Im saying this, but its actually good. However, I will dispute that its the best satire ever produced by RTE.

Its up there alright but no radio or tv show before or since has come close to touching Scrap Saturday for biting satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Good episode last night but nowhere near as funny as last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

'if abortions were legal in Ireland, there'd be an 9 months waiting list, wha? haha'

Love the Doctor shooting the patient in the waiting room with the broken leg!
    'No i'm grand il walk it off'
    BANG

Advertisement