Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Excellent start to the new series.

The scene where the couple arrive at the flat to buy drugs and the dealer pulls them out of his arse...what happened next was :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

The Mary Robinson sketches are very good. Was there a song about the IRA planting bombs and running away as opposed to other extremists blowing themselves up?!

I still laugh when I think of last seasons Mary Robinson singing about 'flicking her bean!'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

How is blatant homophobia allowed on a national broadcaster still?
    I refer to the 'quuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrssssss' 'sketch'

Ye can't turn your back on them? School yard bully 'humour'

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Great to see a new series of the Savage eye.been a long wait.If you get the chance go see Dave Mc Savages stand up show he is brillant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Just watched it, brilliant as usual....I'm already a big fan.

It's the best Irish comedy I've ever seen and as well as being hilarious, it's so on the ball, accurate in what it satirises.

I liked the Court Opera and the ever funny Joe Duffy p1sstake...."how bad does it make you feel?":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rodin wrote: »

Seriously? You think that sketch was homophobic as opposed to showing the bigoted nature of homophobes?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I liked it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

omahaid wrote: »

That's the most cutting and accurate Irish skit since the Apres Match one on George Hook imo. Loved that. Same goes for the FF politician replying with percentages.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Seriously? You think that sketch was homophobic as opposed to showing the bigoted nature of homophobes?

Should we have some white folk hang a black man in a sketch to show the racist nature of some? I certainly don't think so.
    By definition, homophobes are bigoted.
    Where was the benefit in portraying gay men hugging in pink shirts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's satire. He's making fun of homophobia by having a character say ridiculous over-the-top things about gays. So over-the-top that it will show up how sad and out of touch with reality these sort of gay-haters are.

McSavage is a lot of things but he's not a homophobe.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's satire. He's making fun of homophobia by having a character say ridiculous over-the-top things about gays. So over-the-top that it will show up how sad and out of touch with reality these sort of gay-haters are.

McSavage is a lot of things but he's not a homophobe.

The number of times I've heard 'satire' used as an excuse for this type of unfunny, schoolboy mockery is ridiculous. Blame it on the 'character' a la Alf Garnett.
    Some of the sketches in the show were funny. This one was not.

The number of times I've heard 'satire' used as an excuse for this type of unfunny, schoolboy mockery is ridiculous. Blame it on the 'character' a la Alf Garnett.

You can find it funny or unfunny, that's no concern of mine.

It is however not a homophobic sketch.

It's like saying that the film Mississippi Burning is racist because racist characters say racist things in it.

Or Dave Chappelle is racist because he plays a Ku Klux Klan character in one of his sketches despite the fact that the man is black and is satirising racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

That's the most cutting and accurate Irish skit since the Apres Match one on George Hook imo. Loved that. Same goes for the FF politician replying with percentages.

So concise, simple and effective.

Sums up an entire political culture in a mere 14 seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Well I laughed!

The Bull is one of the funniest characters i've ever seen on Irish TV and the sketches involving him never dissapoint.

He's a bigoted, sexist, homophobe... absolutely hillarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I think you have spectacularly missed the point. If you don't find it funny, fine, it's a matter of taste. But homophobic? It's like saying that the Fawlty Towers episode about the Germans was xenophobic, or the Father Ted one with Ted accidentally doing the Hitler salute was racist. The portrayal of gay people wasn't a real one, it was a parody of how homophobes like Mick the Bull see them.

On another note, I posted on this thread last year, defending this show, when about 80% of the comments were negative. And not just mildly negative, but expressing absolute hatred of this show. Amazing, (and heartening) to see the response is so positive, to what is, I reckon, the best comedy RTE has done in a decade. It takes chances, and doesn't pull punches, and that's what makes it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

fisgon wrote: »
    The portrayal of gay people wasn't a real one, it was a parody of how homophobes like Mick the Bull see them.

Nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Never look a quaaaaaaaaaer in the eye . :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I think you have spectacularly missed the point.....The portrayal of gay people wasn't a real one, it was a parody of how homophobes like Mick the Bull see them.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone having a problem watching this on RTE player? The Shockwave player keeps crashing on me.. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

I look forward to his satirical take on the Prophet Mohammed

I look forward to his satirical take on the Prophet Mohammed

Don't worry I'm sure you'll completely miss the point of that one too. :)

But I know you're joking - see? I get when people aren't being serious.

The thing is that McSavage's targets are all Irish as you will have noticed. So I can't really see him satirising the Muslim faith as they haven't had any significant impact on Irish life in the last while. But I could be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I think you have spectacularly missed the point. If you don't find it funny, fine, it's a matter of taste. But homophobic? It's like saying that the Fawlty Towers episode about the Germans was xenophobic, or the Father Ted one with Ted accidentally doing the Hitler salute was racist. The portrayal of gay people wasn't a real one, it was a parody of how homophobes like Mick the Bull see them.

On another note, I posted on this thread last year, defending this show, when about 80% of the comments were negative. And not just mildly negative, but expressing absolute hatred of this show. Amazing, (and heartening) to see the response is so positive, to what is, I reckon, the best comedy RTE has done in a decade. It takes chances, and doesn't pull punches, and that's what makes it work.

I've never understood the hatred of him on boards. I suppose as a stand up he's poor enough it has to be said. I like this program but it's very hit and miss and can get a bit repetitive. Wouldn't say it's their best comedy or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Missed it, is there a repeat? Checked RTE Player and no episodes up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Missed it, is there a repeat? Checked RTE Player and no episodes up.

I missed it too, and watched it on the player about an hour after it aired. It should be there. Do a search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

'All kinds of everything'

thought this was hilarious the other night

ha ha hah

I've never understood the hatred of him on boards. I suppose as a stand up he's poor enough it has to be said. I like this program but it's very hit and miss and can get a bit repetitive. Wouldn't say it's their best comedy or anything.

The guy himself is deeply unpleasant to deal with. His 'busking' is atrocious, his stand-up is the mean-spirited unfunny sort of sh*te that makes you think that he was bullied mercilessly as a boy.

HOWEVER this show is quite good so I have to give him credit for that. He's also surrounded himself with some great supporting comedians - John Colleary being a particular highlight for me, he's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Completely agree with you. As I've explained to people many times over the past year, I think it's one of the best comedies RTE has ever produced.

Granted, that's not saying much, but it's genuinely funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is this the tripe with the unbelieveably unfunny promo that makes me want to switch channels for those 30 seconds ? The one where he slurs words and invents some more brain-dead "Dublin Rhyming Slang" ?

Definitely wouldn't make me even remotely want to watch it.....and ads/promos usually show the best bits of stuff, don't they ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    and ads/promos usually show the best bits of stuff, don't they ?

Not on RTE they don't.

RTE promos department cut together sh*te ads more often than not.

Advertisement