Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Love the vet shooting the patient in the waiting room with the broken leg!
    'No i'm grand il walk it off'
    BANG

funny, I'll have to rewatch as my RTE2 was like crap last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't know this series is only getting 100,000 viewers while Mrs. Brown's Boys is getting 700,000 viewers. I still think this series is too in your face, the Joe Duffy sketches are a bit too strange.

Was the beds sketch a repeat?

Anyway over all the show was bold, audacious and brave (and all at the sametime).

However I love coddle!

the Denny ad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't know this series is only getting 100,000 viewers while Mrs. Brown's Boys is getting 700,000 viewers. I still think this series is too in your face, the Joe Duffy sketches are a bit too strange.

Was the beds sketch a repeat?

Anyway over all the show was bold, audacious and brave (and all at the sametime).

However I love coddle!

the Denny ad
    the bed sketch was on Frontline a few weeks back...As regards Mrs Browns Boys...well it's down to taste...Kilinascully get's massive ratings and it's sh1te too...

I think the joe duffy sketches are bang on, no more stranger than the reality!

I think the joe duffy sketches are bang on, no more stranger than the reality!

But now when listening to Joe Duffy all you can think about what he's at with himself and a midget. :eek: It's bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As a "stand-up" he's a pain in the ****, but, having watched that show last night for the first time, I actually found some of it quite funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Ok, stupid question but here goes, who is the president for life supposed to be, McAleese or Robinson? I just dont get it, she doesn't look like either of them and I dont follow the husband reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

think the show is great, without a doubt best comedy RTE have ever put out ...

But the Joe Duffy S&M sketches are a big mistake...way over the top and just plain embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Loving all the sketches!Mary Robinson is HILARIOUS!
    joe Duffy is great as well,his excitement the worse a callers story gets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Ok, stupid question but here goes, who is the president for life supposed to be, McAleese or Robinson? I just dont get it, she doesn't look like either of them and I dont follow the husband reference.

It's Mary Robinson and her husband Nick, she referred to him as Nick at one stage, although she doesn't do that anymore.

I think its a mix of both.

The husband though is Mr. Robinson. That he is just there as the First Man locked away from the Presidential Office!

See he is just pouring the tea here

50587074.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A140D1A09E60379893787B538484156D14F64183892A871E98BB01E70F2B3269972&t=1

I think we should all.... go Swing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fryup wrote: »
    But the Joe Duffy S&M sketches are a big mistake...way over the top and just plain embarrassing

They're a follow on from the first series but more of an exaggeration now. It started off with him slightly getting off on hearing peoples sad stories which gradually grew and grew into him involving S&M and the midget. If you heard the start of the real Duffy show today you will see how accurate it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you heard the start of the real Duffy show today you will see how accurate it is.

I heard most of todays show. If ever you needed an example of just how spot on the satire on the Savage Eye is, today was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Elmo wrote: »

Its a disturbing fact but i can see why mrs browns bullsh!t drags in more viewers.
    Simply because it appeals to a much broader audience. Its aimed at oldies (a man dressed as a woman exposing his tights is always going to make the old folks chuckle), younger folk (18 -23), the dunce percentage (duuuh the man dressed like a woman is swearing yahaaarharharhar!!!), lower lower working class masses.

Savage eye as you say is considered a bit in your face. Not for me it isn't, its funny, clever & a pretty accurate observation on various elements of our culture.

I suppose some of us don't like people joking about things that they would prefer were not openly lampooned on national tv. Sensitive bunch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I
    Simply because it appeals to a much broader audience. Its aimed at oldies (a man dressed as a woman exposing his tights is always going to make the old folks chuckle), younger folk (18 -23), the dunce percentage (duuuh the man dressed like a woman is swearing yahaaarharharhar!!!), lower lower working class masses.

I'd say it's much more to do with scheduling. If you were to swap the Savage Eye to a Saturday evening on RTE1, straight after the news, it'd be getting similar figures. As it stands you have to make a special effort to watch it on a Monday evening on RTE2.

I'd say a lot of people watch the Savage Eye on RTE Player as well. It's at number one in the 'Most Popular' spot there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

dambarude wrote: »
    I'd say it's much more to do with scheduling. If you were to swap the Savage Eye to a Saturday evening on RTE1, straight after the news, it'd be getting similar figures. As it stands you have to make a special effort to watch it on a Monday evening on RTE2.

I'd say a lot of people watch the Savage Eye on RTE Player as well. It's at number one in the 'Most Popular' spot there currently.

True enough & i don't understand that because Savage eye is an RTE production so you'd think they would be looking to have it in the best time slot possible. Strange. I suppose they have some reason for doing it.

I still think part of the reason why MBB'S attracts so many veiwers is because it has a much broader appeal. Teenagers/children probably find MBB's quite entertaining because of the simplistic/formulaic nature of the humour. Im not for a second comparing the 2 sitcoms but Father Ted enjoyed a similarly broad demographic. Father Ted was clever as well as slap-stick though. Theres a bit of comedy genius in FT because of the hilarious cast & extremely talented creators/writers. MBB's lacks both qualities. What do you expect with a gutter comedian like Brendon O'Carroll as the driving force behind the show.

Savage eye is quite political, which i think for kids is automatically considered kind of boring. Its never going to pull in huge numbers. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

telekon wrote: »
    I cant believe Im saying this, but its actually good. However, I will dispute that its the best satire ever produced by RTE.

Its up there alright but no radio or tv show before or since has come close to touching Scrap Saturday for biting satire.

I agree, hence why I said RTE Television.

Scrap Saturday was genius.

I'm not putting him near the same level but McSavage is the closest we have to a Chris Morris or Armando Iannucci, he's obviously been very influenced by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I love the Savage Eye, he is a genius. I am surprised he gets away with so much but good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

If he hasn't had it already, I can see the moral arbitrators calling the shots with McSavage very soon, particularly since he's slipped under Joe Duffy's radar.

Anything dealing with political satire seems to encounter it- Scrap Saturday and Bull Island are examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Its a disturbing fact but i can see why mrs browns bullsh!t drags in more viewers.
    To paraphrase Bill Hicks: "Go back to bed, Ireland, your government is in control.. here's Mrs Brown's Boys!"

People suck, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheTrain

'if abortions were legal in Ireland, there'd be an 9 months waiting list, wha? haha'

Oh dear, that's an old one.

That's my biggest problem with this show, (aside from the fact that people call it "satire" when it's court jestery at best, just with shock jock antics to disguise it - note that no actual politicians are harmed. Where's Cowen? The bankers, McSavage's own class) the jokes that aren't lifted directly from elsewhere are ones you've heard in the pub ten years ago.

And they all fall flat through the horrible choking smug this show oozes.

Those filler vox pops with snarky Dublin hipsters towing the pseudo-intellectual line. Yeah yeah, Ireland's ****. Look how jaded and aware we are.

By all accounts Iannucci and Morris are men of kindness and great integrity held in high regard by everyone they've worked with. McSavage meanwhile...

They also come up with their own jokes.

It may work on the Ex-Prime Time Commissioning Editor who has zero experience in comedy and makes nothing but wretched knock-offs of UK formats but in the real world it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

TheTrain wrote: »

That's my biggest problem with this show, (aside from the fact that people call it "satire" when it's court jestery at best, just with shock jock antics to disguise it - note that no actual politicians are harmed. Where's Cowen? The bankers, McSavage's own class) the jokes that aren't lifted directly from elsewhere are ones you've heard in the pub ten years ago.

And they all fall flat through the horrible choking smug this show oozes.

Those filler vox pops with snarky Dublin hipsters towing the pseudo-intellectual line. Yeah yeah, Ireland's ****. Look how jaded and aware we are.

By all accounts Iannucci and Morris are men of kindness and great integrity held in high regard by everyone they've worked with. McSavage meanwhile...

They also come up with their own jokes.

It may work on the Ex-Prime Time Commissioning Editor who has zero experience in comedy and makes nothing but wretched knock-offs of UK formats but in the real world it's embarrassing.

Oh, get off your high horse, that's one of the smugest posts I've read on this or any other forum, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Satire is defined as a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule which the show clearly does, it's frankly ludicrous to dismiss it in the manner you have.

As for originality, did you hear anyone singing '**** you and overpay us' while pretending to be a HSE consultant in the pub 10 years ago? The abortion joke was said by a character that's a caricature of the sort of barman that trots out aincient politically incorrect jokes in any case.

'snarky Dublin hipsters towing the pseudo-intellectual line'???? The 'real world'??? For Christ's sake, listen to yourself....

I suppose some of us don't like people joking about things that they would prefer were not openly lampooned on national tv. Sensitive bunch.
    It may work on the Ex-Prime Time Commissioning Editor who has zero experience in comedy and makes nothing but wretched knock-offs of UK formats but in the real world it's embarrassing

I actually agree with both of these statements.

My point about it being in your face is really to state that McSavage is far too cruel to tone it down and then to give it the punch that is required. This is in the same manner has he goes around Dublin slagging the public for wearing a stupid hat.

This is prob the best "entertainment" show that said producer has commissioned in his time at RTÉ.

However as I said in the MBB the criticism that something is "embarrassing" is just not valid, it is only a TV show.
    Where's Cowen? The bankers, McSavage's own class

In fairness to Savage he is trying not to specifically aim his satire (or jest) at a specific party, however the current government in The Savage Eye is specifically the current government and their PR. The same can be said of the president who is a mix between the 2 Marys. The Health Minister is obviously Harney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Think last nights episode was one of the very best he's done, it was laugh a minute stuff, while still making some very good observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I just watched this week's episode, a definite improvement on last weeks. Some decent sketches and the chuckles were spread fairly evenly throughout.

OK, so it's not perfect, but it is quite topical and some of the issues addressed are very relevant and serve to remind us about the real state of the health system is this country (despite the FF circus over the past few days). The vox-pop comments, e.g. the mental health chap's analogy about going to a doctor with a cold and being told to come back when you have pneumonia, played their part too. The rabid publican and Joe Duffy's nipple clamps might offend some, but in that case I would advise those people to stick to MBB and Pat Short.

The consultant sketch was the best part, closely followed by the closing bed-time song (the young lad making a dive for his toothbrush at the very end was hilarious).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If he hasn't had it already, I can see the moral arbitrators calling the shots with McSavage very soon, particularly since he's slipped under Joe Duffy's radar.

He's been discussed on Liveline already. And word has it, despite McSavage mocking him, Duffy is quite fond of McSavage's show....

Since when is Eoghan Harris a hipster? :rolleyes:

So how many shows of yours has Eddie Doyle turned down? You sound very bitter! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They very obviously rip it out of Mary Harney in this weeks episode. In every episode when the four politicians are shown, they very obviously rip it out of Brian Lenihan. The president for life is always a rip on both Mary presidents. They continually promote the catholic church as child molesters, so to say that its a generic non-target show is nonsense.

And you must not have been watching but bankers have been parodied.

You must look up the word "satire" if you think that The Savage Eye isn't satire. It clearly commentates on Irish society in an extremely humerous negative way and mocks and ridicules it to its core.

Satire as per Dictionary.com "the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc."

The programme is from start to finish a ridicule of Ireland as a whole from politics to gardai to scumbags to priests to bankers to anything you can think of.

And seriously, did you use a thesaurus for your entire post??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I haven't lol'd as much at a TV show in a long time, the consultants bit at the end had my in hysterics, and the 9 month waiting list for an abortion, I nearly fell off the couch.

Funny, there seems to be an overwhelming hatred for his live work, combined with an overwhelming admiration for his TV show, hopefully he' ll stick to what he good at and rid temple bar of the plague that was his 'busking'.

It's nice to see most people being able to give credit where it's due!

I'd love to hear what Degsy thinks of the show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

just remembered! Is that Harold Shipman's face that shows up alongside the queen during the "british rule" parts??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I laughed so much at Joe Duffy with the dog collar on I nearly passed out :D Great show, and one of the most watchable on RTE at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

just remembered! Is that Harold Shipman's face that shows up alongside the queen during the "british rule" parts??!!

Yup.

Advertisement