Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ guy who predicts weather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

waterways wrote: »
    From another thread Ken, why don't you allow Villain to discuss here your predictions for Ireland which he has bought?
    /
    Because that type of analysis is intentionally vindictive, and I retain the right under intellectual property to not have my work treated in that way. What I issue is still mine, and a purchaser has bought a right to view it only and not to share it with others, in the same way as someone who buys a book is not entitled to pdf it and give it away online. Villain can discuss it with me anytime, privately if he wants to, but not in a public forum if I object. And I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Kenring wrote: »
    So I wouldn't believe what Gareth and Erick wrote, they are not authorities, they are both ravingly anti-astrology, and accordingly both receive a lot of scorn in some quarters for their public attacks on climate change skeptics. Gareth wrote a book about global warming and the other guy isn't taken very seriously because opposing statements often come from his office and colleagues. He was on TV opposing me in a doco interview and he said I made 9 mis-forecasts in a year. I was quite chuffed at that. I thought I made more.

So are you refuting the results of their studies on your forecast accuracy, as per the links posted above? On what basis are these results flawed?

Su Campu wrote: »
    So are you refuting the results of their studies on your forecast accuracy, as per the links posted above? On what basis are these results flawed?
    I make no claims of accuracy, I quote the assessments made by others. I don't chart success rates because I have no scale. I would have to spend all day every day doing it, for no return. Each person can assess for themselves how useful a forecast is, a brand of toothpaste, a car's performance, a trip to Paris.
    Your renewed attempt to do a consumer analysis for purposes of warning people off either engaging with me or taking notice of my work is something I find offensive. You have joined this thread late and waded in in your usual style, which, aided and abetted by Villain, has resulted in similar discussion threads being closed in the past. Methinks this is the intention of both of you, to spread misconceptions and half-truths, quotes by others and innuendo designed to close conversations on this whole topic of moon-weather.

I make no claims of accuracy, I quote the assessments made by others. I don't chart success rates because I have no scale. I would have to spend all day every day doing it, for no return. Each person can assess for themselves how useful a forecast is, a brand of toothpaste, a car's performance, a trip to Paris.
    Your renewed attempt to do a consumer analysis for purposes of warning people off either engaging with me or taking notice of my work is something I find offensive. You have joined this thread late and waded in in your usual style, which, aided and abetted by Villain, has resulted in similar discussion threads being closed in the past. Methinks this is the intention of both of you, to spread misconceptions and half-truths, quotes by others and innuendo designed to close conversations on this whole topic of moon-weather.

Not at all, I've repeatedly stated over and over I have nothing against your moon-weather theory, and by you stating that I do, plus accusing me of trying to warn people off, is yourself spreading a mis-truth, to say the least. You are quoted as claiming an 80% success rate on your forecasts, yet when somebody does an indepth analysis and finds differently, you refuse to comment on it and instead start your own personal bashing. This illustrates my whole point nicely, and is the reason I will not be conversing with you any longer.

Mods, for the sake of everybody, close this thread.

Not at all, I've repeatedly stated over and over I have nothing against your moon-weather theory, and by you stating that I do, plus accusing me of trying to warn people off, is yourself spreading a mis-truth, to say the least. You are quoted as claiming an 80% success rate on your forecasts, yet when somebody does an indepth analysis and finds differently, you refuse to comment on it and instead start your own personal bashing. This illustrates my whole point nicely, and is the reason I will not be conversing with you any longer.

Mods, you might want to look back to other threads that have gone the same way, due mostly to these two posters. They are found out. If you do close, you let such self-elected censors win. Is that what boards.ie is about? I thought it stood for discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jamesoc

The title of this thread is incorrect imo , predicting a forecast from a mere 2 weeks away surely should improve your chances of a degree of accuracy , how in heavens name do you expect me to believe that you can do so for the coming 6/12 months or whatever ... there was no snow anywhere in Ireland today NYD btw ... , why on earth would anyone pay any attention to you at this stage never mind waste money on your inaccurate forecasts :rolleyes: , you are wrong too many times and it must be obvious to everyone on this forum at this stage , except you of course ;) .

Back to the old cats paws for you methinks :D

Originally Posted by jamesoc viewpost.gif
    Simple Ken , lets have a sample forecast for Carlow 1st Jan 2011 , yes or no
    ''Very cold, snowing, followed by a dry spell of about 10-12 days or so.'' YEAH RIGHT :rolleyes: .

what :eek: .. close the thread , lol no dont even think of it , this thread is about pure comic genius and we have a ringside seat to all this first class entertainment , yes entertainment because fiction is entertaining to most people i know .

Issuing climatic predictions that are miles off the mark over and over and over again and then denying it in the face of all evidence has destroyed ANY credibility he may have began with in the first instance , talking about digging a hole for himself , down to bedrock at this stage

People shouldn't take this stuff too seriously , its funny and just have a good laugh at it ;)

http://www.todayfm.com/shows/weekdays/matt-cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog/10-09-16/Ken_Ring_weather_prediction_latest.aspx?ReturnURL=%2Fshows%2Fweekdays%2Fmatt-cooper%2Fmatt-cooper-blog.aspx%3FBlogTagID%3D20fc7197-c030-4060-93cf-5ac1a2d4dd9a&BlogTagID=20fc7197-c030-4060-93cf-5ac1a2d4dd9a .. a wet December indeed :p,

jamesoc wrote: »
    Issuing climatic predictions that are miles off the mark ,
    Odd you keep saying that, because Met Eirann and I seem to be on the same page, very cold now but getting drier
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Headline: The first week of the new year will be a cold one .. wintry precipitation, mainly on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sunday night will be very cold ..between -6 and -1 degrees. It will be milder over southern parts .. sleet or snow on higher ground.
    Monday will be a cold day .. wintry showers with southern parts most at risk. ..snow ..possible over higher ground. On Monday night, ..slightly milder air ..mainly dry and cold ..between -2 and -6 degrees. ..dry in many places Tuesday night .. allowing temperatures to fall between zero and -4 degrees and ice forming on any wet surfaces. ..Staying cold for the rest of the week with frost at night ..

And you'll recall I said January would start off precipitous and cold and should stay mainly dry and cold for the first 10 days. Sounds like you're somewhat disappointed that that may have been correct.

Odd you keep saying that, because Met Eirann and I seem to be on the same page, very cold now but getting drier
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Headline: The first week of the new year will be a cold one .. wintry precipitation, mainly on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sunday night will be very cold ..between -6 and -1 degrees. It will be milder over southern parts .. sleet or snow on higher ground.
    Monday will be a cold day .. wintry showers with southern parts most at risk. ..snow ..possible over higher ground. On Monday night, ..slightly milder air ..mainly dry and cold ..between -2 and -6 degrees. ..dry in many places Tuesday night .. allowing temperatures to fall between zero and -4 degrees and ice forming on any wet surfaces. ..Staying cold for the rest of the week with frost at night ..

And you'll recall I said January would start off precipitous and cold and should stay mainly dry and cold for the first 10 days. Sounds like you're somewhat disappointed that that may have been correct.

Re January i cant comment on weather that hasn't happened as yet , im more interested in the weather that has happened , that we have proof of , your Matt Cooper podcast to the Nation made no mention of the December freeze we have endured .

The method of forecasting you use does not vary according to yourself , in fact you have replied to a poster in an older thread ( i can prove this ) that your forecasts are ''set in stone'' .

To me it looks like your methods do not work , no point in telling me like you have dismissed other posters over the years and told them to ''take it or leave it'' etc , this is a public forum ,and i have every right to express my opinion .

Also reminding you that you were very specific about your NYD forecast for Carlow , and it was totally wrong .

One of the selling point according to your site Ken is for people to plan day to day/outdoor events etc , if i want to plan for my grandchild's birthday or whatever i would like to know what to expect on the actual day , not what might be on the cards 2days before or after, in met terms that's an impossibility as we all acknowledge , so for you to boast that your forecasts are ''set in stone'' is clearly incorrect .

Personally i have no problem if you derive your predictions from moon phases/ pattern repeats or whatever , if they have some degree of accuracy i would be happy to acknowledge it , the problem is when they are blatantly incorrect and you don't have the ba..s to admit it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

what :eek: .. close the thread , lol no dont even think of it , this thread is about pure comic genius and we have a ringside seat to all this first class entertainment , yes entertainment because fiction is entertaining to most people i know .

Issuing climatic predictions that are miles off the mark over and over and over again and then denying it in the face of all evidence has destroyed ANY credibility he may have began with in the first instance , talking about digging a hole for himself , down to bedrock at this stage

People shouldn't take this stuff too seriously , its funny and just have a good laugh at it ;)

http://www.todayfm.com/shows/weekdays/matt-cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog/10-09-16/Ken_Ring_weather_prediction_latest.aspx?ReturnURL=%2Fshows%2Fweekdays%2Fmatt-cooper%2Fmatt-cooper-blog.aspx%3FBlogTagID%3D20fc7197-c030-4060-93cf-5ac1a2d4dd9a&BlogTagID=20fc7197-c030-4060-93cf-5ac1a2d4dd9a .. a wet December indeed :p,

Haha! His forecast for the winter, great link. What a load of nonsense.

Will Matt Cooper ever follow up on this?

octo wrote: »
    Haha! His forecast for the winter, great link. What a load of nonsense.

Will Matt Cooper ever follow up on this?
    I'm really bored now with justifying myself. Just after midway through last year I said end of November would be very unseasonably cold, one of the cold landmarks of the season. I had previously, in September, said the last days of October could be a warning of it, with early frosts. I repeatedly say I cannot predict temperatures. I said expect cold and chance of precipitation/snow just before Xmas, in line with the northern declination date, drying but staying cold after NYE. Who cares about one day in Carlow? it's neither here nor there. I'm not concerned with that, only trends. Yes, I missed how cold it would actually get, of course from several years away. At or near sunspot minimums there will be colder wintry weather. Look to 1994-7. That last minimum ended midway through 2010 and is what we're coming out of, but too slowly for comfort. Summers will probably also get milder in temperatures for a couple of years. My reputation elsewhere seems to be intact because it seems I have been largely correct since I came on the scene. It is only here amongst a handful of disgruntled meteorologists that I have been so mercilessly attacked.
    Please, if you don't like what I say, I suggest you just shop elsewhere. Punch a punchbag or something. But you and your mates bleeding your dislike of me all over this thread, keeping reposting hate, scoffing, guffaws and scorn, only brings the negative back on you guys. Can you not see that? If you have alternative viewpoints, explain and express them. Allow me mine and just state your own. Surely that's the best way to debate.

One of the selling point according to your site Ken is for people to plan day to day/outdoor events etc , if i want to plan for my grandchild's birthday or whatever i would like to know what to expect on the actual day , not what might be on the cards 2days before or after, in met terms that's an impossibility as we all acknowledge , so for you to boast that your forecasts are ''set in stone'' is clearly incorrect .

Personally i have no problem if you derive your predictions from moon phases/ pattern repeats or whatever , if they have some degree of accuracy i would be happy to acknowledge it , the problem is when they are blatantly incorrect and you don't have the ba..s to admit it .
    Look I just have to pull you up on this.
    Ken Ring does not forecast for day to day.
    He forecasts for periods of days where there is an increased likelyhood of this that or the other.
    On that scale,he's probably not too far out on his accuracy compared to other weather people who try and often fail with day to day stuff derived from models.

Please could people not get riled up and realise that they are not comparing like for like or even looking at Ken Rings product for what it is.

For heavens sake,people are now arguing for the sake of it here.
    Deal with things in their proper context please.

Look I just have to pull you up on this.
    Ken Ring does not forecast for day to day.
    He forecasts for periods of days where there is an increased likelihood of this that or the other.
    On that scale,he's probably not too far out on his accuracy compared to other weather people who try and often fail with day to day stuff derived from models.
    Please could people not get riled up and realise that they are not comparing like for like or even looking at Ken Rings product for what it is.
    For heavens sake,people are now arguing for the sake of it here.
    Deal with things in their proper context please.

First of all this forum is a public debating forum , i am giving my opinions on the topic , i was replying to a specific forecast he made for a specific day among other points , i was replying to his answer for that day , he advertises day to day forecasts on his site , ''plan for an event'' etc check it out for yourself , do you understand that ? .

Listen to his podcast re last December before you praise his ''accuracy'' , you might also pay some attention to the only person here who can actually comment on Rings forecasts , he actually purchased one (DID YOU) have a careful look at the Carlow mans opinions on this ''accuracy''.

Perhaps you should splash out asap on one of these forecasts , you should have some proof of this ''accuracy'' by Jan 2012 for yourself but until then his podcast is proof enough for me ;)

First of all this forum is a public debating forum , i am giving my opinions on the topic , get that fact right before you single me out for special attention ' i was replying to a specific forecast he made for a specific day among other points , i was replying to his answer for that day , do you understand that ? .

2ND , listen to his podcast re last December before you praise his ''accuracy'' , you might also pay some attention to the only person here who can actually comment on Rings forecasts , he actually purchased one (DID YOU) have a careful look at the Carlow mans opinions on this ''accuracy''.
    The "Carlow man" has a weather website, is a part time meteorologist. He admitted he purchased the forecast to be critical. He found it wanting in accuracy, apparently. What do you expect? If he was being picked for a jury he'd be dismissed without a second look.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I'd just like to say I have no problem with different methods of forecasting. This is just a personal thing, but I never read or pay attention to long range forecasts. I just think they're (again, this is just me) too vague almost to the point of being useless. The margin for error is too great to plan for anything, be it a forecast using the moon, sun, meterorology or whatever. I wouldn't trust a forecast for 2 weeks time, never mind 2 months. Thats just from my own experience.

I respect what you do Ken but its just not for me. Good luck with your future forecasts and happy new year :)

Ken , that carlow man is the only one on this forum who has purchased an actual forecast , so the proof or otherwise is therein of the accuracy of your forecast for 2010 , or whatever that time-frame was .

Very simple solution will be for others to see that forecast , hiding behind ''intellectual copyright'' or such B/S only proves to me that this forecast was as hopeless as he told you himself .

The year of 2010 is over , anything information on that forecast cannot be used for profit by others at this stage ;) .

Time has come for you to actually prove your methods work , if as you seem to say the forecast you sold that lad was accurate (you claim 80 % on your site ) lets see it , in all the time you have been posting here i have NEVER seen any such proof .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 OfficeStuff

Ken , that carlow man is the only one on this forum who has purchased an actual forecast , so the proof or otherwise is therein of the accuracy of your forecast for 2010 , or whatever that time-frame was .

Eh, no he isn't. I did too. Both 2010 and 2009 I planned summer holidays around Kens forecasts and he wasn't that far off at all. And p.s. it cost me 2 euros 24 cents - so we're hardly talking Anglo style billions here anyway...

Eh, no he isn't. I did too. Both 2010 and 2009 I planned summer holidays around Kens forecasts and he wasn't that far off at all. And p.s. it cost me 2 euros 24 cents - so we're hardly talking Anglo style billions here anyway...

Excellent , afaik there has been no extreme weather here either of those summers , and his record with average Irish weather is probably quite good , so good for you if you are satisfied with his product but i never said that Kens forecasts were always wrong . Im interested in the 3 record breaking month long events in this past 15months that he missed ;) , listen to his podcast , he completely missed this Decembers blizzards and record breaking freeze , that's hardly inspiring for a potential customer is it .

Villians forecast was for the full year 2010 afaik and he is not happy with it , Ken refuses to let him show any screen grab of it claiming ''intellectual copyright'' on a forecast that is history by now , this would be his ideal opportunity to prove his predictions were of a reasonable degree of accuracy , so draw your own conclusions as what is Ken hiding ? .

The "Carlow man" has a weather website, is a part time meteorologist. He admitted he purchased the forecast to be critical. He found it wanting in accuracy, apparently. What do you expect? If he was being picked for a jury he'd be dismissed without a second look.

If this was before a judge he would look for witnesses , its your word against the Carlow chaps and you refuse to let him prove his point or let others form an opinion on it , i wonder why :rolleyes: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I am very far from been a part time meteorologist and I didn't admit to buying your forecast to be critical, I admitted to buying it to form an opinion based on results and that is what I have done you just don't like it.

Lets have an open and frank debate where we can review your past years forecast??

Villain wrote: »
    I am very far from been a part time meteorologist and I didn't admit to buying your forecast to be critical, I admitted to buying it to form an opinion based on results and that is what I have done you just don't like it.
    Lets have an open and frank debate where we can review your past years forecast??

Speaking as a total know-nothing :D i too would like to witness this debate lads , this is an interesting subject i may even be more moderate in my opinions if i can see that you are being more out-coming with your record Ken , your claim of 80% forecasting accuracy in your website sounds fantastic , so where's the problem asking to see the evidence ?.
    A discussion might win some kudos for you Ken and it would be a pleasant change from your usual tactic of trying to bluster and bully posters off any threads that involve you (imo) ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭waterways

The "Carlow man" has a weather website, is a part time meteorologist. He admitted he purchased the forecast to be critical.

Ken, I don't know if he has said that but there is nothing wrong with being critical and to verify the validity of weather predictions. It is not illegal to use your data without your permission for that.

"A work may be used by anyone for the purposes of research or private study without the permission of the author, provided the use is conducted in a way which does not prejudice the rights of the copyright owner. The work may also be used for criticism or review or for reporting current events, with the same proviso, and provided further that the use of the work is accompanied by an acknowledgement identifying the author and the title of the work. " Copyright Association of Ireland http://www.cai.ie/faq/index.htm#10

"Websites - Can I put copyright material on a website without the copyright owner’s permission?
    It is possible that putting material on a website could be for the purposes of research or study, but it is unlikely to be fair. Your best course of action is to get permission."
    Copyright Council of New Zealand http://www.copyright.org.nz/index.php

Ken, to refuse permission of the use of your predictions here for research or study is also unlikely to be fair. Did you ever give anybody permission to prove your predictions and claims?

While shaking my head on your attidude and reading the discussion and your comments in another blog http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/blog-can-ken-ring-really-predict-weather I got the idea to use the there mentioned 15-point checklist "How to Spot Pseudoscience." of Brian Dunning, http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4037 (citations with some interleaves marked as ...)

"1. Does the claim meet the qualifications of a theory?
    Very few claims that aren't true actually qualify as theories. Let's review the four main requirements that a theory must fulfill. 1) A theory must originate from, and be well supported by, experimental evidence. Anecdotal or unsubstantiated reports don't qualify. It must be supported by many strands of evidence, and not just a single foundation. You'll find that most pseudoscience is supported by only a single foundation. 2) A theory must be specific enough to be falsifiable by testing. If it cannot be tested or refuted, it can't qualify as a theory. And if something is truly testable, others must be able to repeat the tests and get the same results. You'll find that this feature is truly rare among pseudosciences; they'll generally claim some excuse or make up a reason why it can't be tested or repeated by others. 3) A theory must make specific, testable predictions about things not yet observed. 4) A theory must allow for changes based on the discovery of new evidence. It must be dynamic, tentative, and correctable. You'll find that most pseudoscience does not allow for changes based on new discoveries."

No, your moon-weather-cycle thing doesn't qualify as a theory. You withhold empirical testing and experimental evidence. Nobody supports you. You are the Don Quichotte of weather forecasts. Your claims are static, blocking any change by new evidence and discoveries.

"2. Is the claim said to be based on ancient knowledge?
    This is a sure sign that the claim is not based on scientific evidence. ..."

Yes, you often refer to Stonehenge, the Aboriginals, ancient beliefs and a lot more of so called ancient knowledge.

"3. Was the claim first announced through mass media, or through scientific channels?
    Real discoveries go through an unbiased peer review process, which results in publication through scientific journals. ..."

Yes, you are mass media player.

"4. Is the claim based on the existence of an unknown form of "energy" or other paranormal phenomenon? ..."

Yes, an unknown energy of the moon.

"5. Do the claimants state that their claim is being suppressed by authorities? ..."

Yes, you are often complaining that the metereologist are behind you. And you have accused here in this thread scientists and two members of boards.ie.

"6. Does the claim sound far fetched, or too good to be true?
    When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Does the claim truly fit in with what we know of the way the world works? How often do claims that turn the world upside down really turn out to be true? Approach such claims with extreme skepticism, and demand evidence that's as extraordinary as the claim."

At first view no and that is (one) of your tricks. We all know that the moon is (one) reason for tides. At second view it sounds too good to be true that a moon circle is responsible for our weather. And it sounds too good that a weather forecast for a whole year around a year and a half in advance can be done, too good. So yes to the question.

"7. Is the claim supported by hokey marketing?
    Be wary of marketing gimmicks, and keep in mind that marketing gimmicks are, by themselves, completely worthless. Examples of hokey marketing that should always raise a red flag are pictures of people wearing white lab coats ... "

That makes me smile.No, you are not wearing a white lab coat. But yes, Ken your hat and your dark clothes ... sorry, for me it looks like a mixed outfit of a farmer in the outback and a priest.

"8. Does the claim pass the Occam's Razor test?
    Is there a simpler, natural explanation for the claim that does not require any supernatural component? Are results consistent with the placebo effect or the body's natural healing capacity? Can a stage magician duplicate the psychic's feats? The Law of Large Numbers states that a one-in-a-million event usually happens to everyone about once a month, and since Occam's Razor says that the simpler of two possible explanations is usually the right one, don't leap for a supernatural explanation just because you happened to dream about your grandmother on the night she died."

I cannot really review this point, I don't have and won't buy your books. But, for me, you are passing the test in a circular motion and that is one reason why people believe you. Long-range weather forecast have a low accuracy at latest state of the art. Much more research is necessary to give simple answers in a complex system. But people want them now, at once and on the spot. You are offering simple answers which all the scientists cannot give at this stage.

"9. Does the claim come from a source dedicated to supporting it?
    Science works by starting with a null hypothesis and searching for evidence. Pseudoscience starts with a positive hypothesis and supports it with questionable research and anecdotal reasoning. It's unlikely that an institution dedicated to the promotion of any given claim will present any type of evidence other than that which supports their claim, and its bias should be given serious consideration."

Yes, your source is your moon-weather-hypothesis.

"10. Are the claimants up front about their testing?
    Any good research will outline the testing that was done, and will present all evidence that did not support the conclusion. Be skeptical of any claims that do not detail testing methodology that was thorough and responsible, including external verification and duplication, or that do not provide evidence unsupportive of the conclusion."

Yes, and how!!!

"11. How good is the quality of data supporting the claim?
    Watch out when testing data might be susceptible to observational selection, which is the counting of hits and not the misses, like we see with television psychics. Watch out when sample sizes are too small to have statistical significance, as with most clinical trials of homeopathy. And especially watch out for hastily drawn causal relationships: the assumption that because the relief occurred after the remedy, the remedy must have caused the relief."

Which data?
    Bad. You you are always trying to present us only your random hits.

"12. Do the claimants have legitimate credentials? ..."

Which credentials?
    No.

"13. Do the claimants state that there's something wrong with the norm?
    When real research is presented, it consists of the evidence that was discovered and the conclusion. It does not go off on alarmist rants about how the food we eat is dangerous, how we're destroying the planet, how the government covers up its evils, or how you're going to hell if you accept evolution. When a claim is presented as an alternative to the wrongs of the status quo, it's a sign that the claim is probably based on ideology or philosophy rather than science."

Yes, you do.

"14. Is the claim said to be "all natural"?
    As we've see time and time again, by no definition can "all natural" mean that a product is safe or healthy. Consider the examples of hemlock, mercury, lead, toadstools, box jellyfish neurotoxin, asbestos — not to mention a nearly infinite number of toxic bacteria and viruses (E. coli, salmonella, bubonic plague, smallpox). In many cases, synthetic versions of natural compounds have been engineered to make them safer, more effective, and able to be produced in large quantities."

Yes, but with a disclaimer to the accuracy.

"15. Does the claim have support that is political, ideological, or cultural?
    Some claimants suggest that it's moral, ethical, or politically correct to accept their claims, to redirect your attention from the fact that they may not be scientifically sound. In some cases, such as Young Earth Creationism, proponents use the court system to force schools to teach their claims as fact. Generally, when a theory is scientifically sound, even if it's brand new it will eventually find its way into the educational curriculum. Good science is done in the lab — not in the courts, not in protest marches, not in blogs, and not in church. A political or cultural campaign to legalize or promote some product or claim is a major indicator that it's bogus."

I would like to add: Good scienes is done in lab — not in blogs, web boards and websites but sometimes they are labs.
    That people buy your products has no no evidence that you are right with your claims and that you are not a Pseudoscientist.

I have learned a lot about you but, sorry not from you.

Given my personal experience on here, plus all the supporting material, of which this is a prime example, I have well and truly made up my mind on predictweather.com for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

I must say this silence from Ken is deafening.

How can one defend the indefensable? There aren't enough 5-year olds on here to do so, as it is to them he looks for reassurance:
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Question: I know of no met office that uses the term "caused by the moon" when referring to average monthly rainfall. (Erin) #

Ken Ring: If you wait for a metservice to mention the moon you'll be waiting a million years. But, tee-hee, they DO whenever they say MONTH… Average monthly rainfall means average rain caused by the Moon. Nothing else… We are following the Moon's cycle here… Please accept the logic of this - a five year old would. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    ....[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I do not see the Metservice being criticized or for having silly belief's and yet some of their utterances would be laughed out of court by a sensible five-year-old.

Next he'll be saying the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist.....
    [/FONT][/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Not a lot of people spend their whole day on boards, he's probably busy at 1 in the afternoon on a monday.

I'm sure Ken is a busy man and no doubt he will give us the benefit of his opinion at the first opportunity and perhaps in a more conciliatory form than heretofore .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Not a lot of people spend their whole day on boards, he's probably busy at 1 in the afternoon on a monday.

I was just comparing with other days, where he has been here a few times a day but since unanswerable questions started appearing in droves he is gone.

Advertisement