Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Im using my mobile so can someone post up latest nae

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

redsunset wrote: »

Tell me where to find it and ill do it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »

10121906_1706.gif

Low well to the south like the 06Z GFS

10121906_1706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

eagle on ray darcy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Thanks maq.if that stay south in next run it don't look good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Eagle did a great job summing up the performance of the models and why there is confusion.

He indicated a widespread snow event likely over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

oh dear. Am I right in saying that the complexity of this system has been the reason for the difference between model runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Eagle did a great job summing up the performance of the models and why there is confusion.

He indicated a widespread snow event likely over the weekend

He had different forecast at half 9 on 96FM light snow shows down south???
    This too confusing:(

Several 06Z GEFS ensemble member show the low in a more favourable way :

gens-1-1-54.png?6
    gens-6-1-60.png?6
    gens-10-1-54.png?6
    gens-11-1-54.png?6

etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

did any of you hear Gerard Flemming on the Pat Kenny show?

• Advertisement

homolumo wrote: »
    oh dear. Am I right in saying that the complexity of this system has been the reason for the difference between model runs?

Yes, its a bit of a nightmare for forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Wasn't it a similar case yesterday morning, with the charts giving a significant downgrade?
    If we get another upgrade in the afternoon I think it's safe to say that they're hopelessly out of their depth, and forecasting will come down to intuition and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Despite the potential disappointment, I have to say that this is fascinating and has been for the last week or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What did he say Nacho ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Maq. that system you a re referring to their apears to sit over the SE, S and E for the afternoon before tracking westwards again. This perhaps is what the eagle was referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Yes, I heard him. He said that it was almost impossible to forecast more than four to six hours ahead as they don't know where these low pressure systems will develop. Hope I have that right - I'm not an expert and struggling to understand some of this stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

MollyZ wrote: »
    Yes, I heard him. He said that it was almost impossible to forecast more than four to six hours ahead as they don't know where these low pressure systems will develop. Hope I have that right - I'm not an expert and struggling to understand some of this stuff :)

Yep that's what he said...also said it looks cold up to Christmas Eve and possibly beyond.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Maq. that system you a re referring to their apears to sit over the SE, S and E for the afternoon before tracking westwards again. This perhaps is what the eagle was referring to

There is a lot of uncertainty about the lows over the next couple of days. Massive pinch of salt with any model or forecast.

Sat24.com is your friend. :)

ok. i take it no one did so. Gerard Flemming said there would be more widespread snow tonight. He also say he wasn't sure if there would be positive figures for at least six- seven days. He said there were various scenarios that could play out around Christmas. He did say though that it would get milder in the days after Christmas.
    He also summed up the difficulity of trying to forecast what happens over this cold period quite well i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

dave1982 wrote: »
    He had different forecast at half 9 on 96FM light snow shows down south???
    This too confusing:(

In case you think I am being anti-Cork here with respect to the lack of snow down there I am not. I am going on my 'fly fishing' holidays to the Googane Barra region next June so if I did not like Cork I would not be holidaying there. However what is very frustrating for Cork people is the fact that it is too far South for much if any snowfall. I think that Cork City may get a few light snow showers tonight but that should be the extent of it. Further North and East I see much greater amounts but not as much as some people are saying.:):):)

• Advertisement

MollyZ wrote: »

sorry didn't see your post before posting mine:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

http://www.belgingur.is/vedurkort/

Shows a heavy but fairly brief snowfall for dublin tonight.
    It was quite accurate for the last cold spell.

LP just off the east Icelandic coast and lots of cloud from the other LP coming in over scotland and NI showers should ramp up as a result

image.ashx?ok=1&country=scan&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I think it is time to bin the computer models and just use a good old fashioned bit of sticking the head out the window and seeing what is coming over the hill weather forecasting :)

After all computer models only can model using data that has been collected from previous occurrences of similar weather. When there are to many variables that have not been seen in this part of the world before they can only produce there best effort which might be a good bit off, and when you are trying to pin point weather on a tiny island in the Atlantic a good bit off would mean a huge change in weather.

Wouldn't it be nice to be a fly on the wall inside Met Eireann now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Looking at Sat24 Would I be correct in assuming there is a band of heavier showers coming from the Northwest around nidday heading towards monaghan/Louth?

LP just off the east Icelandic coast and lots of cloud from the other LP coming in over scotland and NI showers should ramp up as a result

also look at raintoday..showers are definately more intense out off the scotish coast now they will carry further inland than the current convective ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Spindle wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice to be a fly on the wall inside Met Eireann now!

I wouldn't like to be that fly, they would be badgering you for answers "mister fly what the hell is going to happen!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

ok. i take it no one did so. Gerard Flemming said there would be more widespread snow tonight. He also say he wasn't sure if there would be positive figures for at least six- seven days. He said there were various scenarios that could play out around Christmas. He did say though that it would get milder in the days after Christmas.
    He also summed up the difficulity of trying to forecast what happens over this cold period quite well i thought.

why dya ask?lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

pure white out blizzard in Letterkenny now, never seen the likes of it before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Spindle wrote: »
    I think it is time to bin the computer models and just use a good old fashioned bit of sticking the head out the window and seeing what is coming over the hill weather forecasting :)

agree, just bin all these charts, models, web pages, polar lows, greenland express's, and just put the fire on, sit back, and just keep glancing at the window for updates.

Advertisement