Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell Puppies - Tail Docking thoughts???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

dahat wrote: »
    with many exceptions,tail docking can still be done under certain conditions,quite easily exploited

You'd better not be saying things like that, Discodog will be on your case! ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know of no cat owners who confine their cats and have them solely use a litter tray. I will be asking any friends of mine if this is what they do, or if they know any cat owners that do. It will be most interesting if I somehow find that in all my life I was unaware of healthy cats being confined.

Well you do now, because as i already said, I have three indoors only cats who are all perfectly healthy and using a litter tray. Why do you seem surprised that indoor cats would be healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

You'd better not be saying things like that, Discodog will be on your case! ;)

pmsl:p

Shanao wrote: »
    Well you do now, because as i already said, I have three indoors only cats who are all perfectly healthy and using a litter tray. Why do you seem surprised that indoor cats would be healthy?
    because any animal thats confined24/7 will not be as healthy as an animal let roam (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

thebullkf wrote: »
    because any animal thats confined24/7 will not be as healthy as an animal let roam (relatively speaking)

Im sorry but I completely and utterly disagree with you. Your average feral cat roams most of it's life and is never confined and your average feral cat has a life expectancy of about 3 years (might be slightly out on that but in and around that), a lot of ferals are FIV+ and are plagued with parasites such as fleas,ear mites and worms. Indoor cats have been known to live to their late teens or early twentys. An unhealthy cat would not live as long.

My cat is confined in my house 24/7 and has never had a health complaint, she is 5.5 and has been indoors for most of her life. Is a dog which can be brought on a leash for a walk but when it spends the rest of it's time in an enclosed garden considered confined? If so then my 5 year old dog has also never had a health complaint.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Im sorry but I completely and utterly disagree with you. Your average feral cat roams most of it's life and is never confined and your average feral cat has a life expectancy of about 3 years (might be slightly out on that but in and around that), a lot of ferals are FIV+ and are plagued with parasites such as fleas,ear mites and worms. Indoor cats have been known to live to their late teens or early twentys. An unhealthy cat would not live as long.

you can hook a cat to a battery and he'll live forever:rolleyes:.....

cats weren't meant to be kept indoors..theres a wild cat in our neighbourhood.....@ least 15yo.... granted he's fed by me/neighbours...but there's feck all wrong with him (outwardly)

My cat is confined in my house 24/7 and has never had a health complaint, she is 5.5 and has been indoors for most of her life.

i think thats cruel.
    Is a dog which can be brought on a leash for a walk but when it spends the rest of it's time in an enclosed garden considered confined? If so then my 5 year old dog has also never had a health complaint.

of course not.... silly comparison.

now a dog kept indoors 24/7........

i suppose i just don't agree with it...

To be perfectly honest, i think its crueller to leave a cat out where he/she will most likely be killed. My cats are perfectly happy and healthy inside the house. A friend of mine lost two cats within three weeks of each other over the summer, the first died of FIP, a really, really horrible virus that cats can pick up (there's been a recent outbreak in this country which has already killed a lot of cats, both pets and feral), and then her second cat was knocked down. She has gotten another cat since and has decided that this one is staying indoors.

To be perfectly honest, i think its crueller to leave a cat out where he/she will most likely be killed. My cats are perfectly happy and healthy inside the house. A friend of mine lost two cats within three weeks of each other over the summer, the first died of FIP, a really, really horrible virus that cats can pick up (there's been a recent outbreak in this country which has already killed a lot of cats, both pets and feral), and then her second cat was knocked down. She has gotten another cat since and has decided that this one is staying indoors.

i never said that...why would it be always in or always out.??

find a happy medium. i don't agree with it.
    again out of all the cats i grew up with/around. i never once heard of one dyiing from disease..and only 1 knocked down....far more dogs knocked down actually...

Sorry, I didn't mean leave outside as in outside the whole time, i meant leaving it out now and again.

On a quick count I've had eleven cats die in my home from disease over the past two years (we rescue quite a few and rehome, but unfortunately we cant save some of them). I cant even count the amount of cats that I've seen knocked down, I've only seen about six or seven dogs that were knocked down. We always had cats when I was growing up and the oldest one we had then reached nine, then she was knocked down. Our cats now have their own bedroom in the house with two scratching posts and they get new toys every week. We can even leave the door open and they dont go near it; they dont even want to be outside.

Sorry, I didn't mean leave outside as in outside the whole time, i meant leaving it out now and again.

On a quick count I've had eleven cats die in my home from disease over the past two years (we rescue quite a few and rehome, but unfortunately we cant save some of them). I cant even count the amount of cats that I've seen knocked down, I've only seen about six or seven dogs that were knocked down. We always had cats when I was growing up and the oldest one we had then reached nine, then she was knocked down. Our cats now have their own bedroom in the house with two scratching posts and they get new toys every week. We can even leave the door open and they dont go near it; they dont even want to be outside.

WOW!!!....

fair play. i stand corrected. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Thanks for all of your opinions on here about tail docking. Glad I have not docked their tails. Hope this tradition disappears soon as its just so cruel. They are six weeks old now and gorgeous with their tails :D
    Got them parvod yesterday so ready for homes asap as the mammy is wrecked from them. Hopefully now I can find great owners who will love them tails and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks for all of your opinions on here about tail docking. Glad I have not docked their tails. Hope this tradition disappears soon as its just so cruel. They are six weeks old now and gorgeous with their tails :D
    Got them parvod yesterday so ready for homes asap as the mammy is wrecked from them. Hopefully now I can find great owners who will love them tails and all :)

Lovely pics, but about getting homes asap, please make sure they are not rehomed before 8 weeks at a minimum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Beautiful pups. only thing would be better if u can leave them before homing till they are 8 weeks old. you can still separate from mam, which would be best at this age if you did, but very important that they stay with their littermates as it teaches them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

andreac wrote: »
    Lovely pics, but about getting homes asap, please make sure they are not rehomed before 8 weeks at a minimum:)

+ 1 they are likely to develop behavioural problems later on if they go before 8 weeks, personally I wouldn't take a pup until 9 weeks. But find homes for them by all means, just don't send them there for another few weeks. If I were you I'd probably keep this litter till after christmas and make doubly sure no one is planning on keeping them outside. I wouldn't see them surviving if this was to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

A breeder should keep their pups until 10 weeks, when they get the booster to their vaccinations from six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Also, I would be more inclined towards potential owners who would refuse to take pups until they are 10 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I hate to be the party pooper but have you seen the amount of poor dogs that are desperately looking for homes and are stuck in the numerous maxed out animal shelters throughout Ireland. There are sadly and ashamedly thousands. I'd be advising neutering as opposed to docking -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Neutering is not the topic of the thread. There is no proof that the OP is or isn't planning on neutering the puppy.

Neutering is not the topic of the thread. There is no proof that the OP is or isn't planning on neutering the puppy.

Thanks pixiebean22 ;)

For all concerned I am planning on keeping the pups until they are 8 weeks old. I am advertising now to find homes I think are suitable and then the pups can go there at 8 weeks. Thanks for your input :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Proof however that she wasn't neutered.

If the OP even thinks about getting her neutered then that is good but I think to someone like me who sees the sad cases in the animal shelters daily and the thousands of unwanted abandoned dogs literally dying for a home, then NEUTERING should always be top of the agenda as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I know this thread has been pretty well covered at this stage but... I'd never dock a dog's tail. I've seen many JRTs with and without tails, and besides the fact that there's no need to dock tails nowadays (it was originally done in hunting dogs so they could go down burrows, right?), they look much nicer with a full tail! Plus, a JRT with a tail wagging at 1000mph is super cute :o.

Just want to add, has anyone had a look at the 2011 dog breed specific calendars? No docked tails on any traditionally docked breeds!! Now if only we could somehow convince the population of Ireland to get rid of such a ridiculous tradition.

Also, SupaDupaFly, those puppies are absolutely beautiful. I doubt you'll have a problem finding homes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

did they sell well with full tails?,out of curiosity

did they sell well with full tails?,out of curiosity

Have honestly only had one caller about them! Have posters and everything up locally. No interest whatsoever. Really disappointed!:(

ya think it is due to tails or just the market in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

ya think it is due to tails or just the market in general?

I think its probably the market in general. I have a litter of husky cross puppies here looking for new homes, I know I'm not selling them, but obviously it still costs the same to look after a rescue pup as a bought one. No interest in them at all, I thought I'd be swamped with people. We now have 2 possible homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I know of someone who had to give the last of their beagle litter away for free because they couldn't sell them. Id like to say it's the time of year that people aren't buying pups in the run up to christmas as christmas presents but I don't know if I could fully believe that. :(

I doubt it's because of their tails.

I have two puppies left and no calls at all.
    I just think people have no money these days and puppies are not where the household budget stretches too.
    I have the room to keep them though they will be homed outside like my others.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

I have two puppies left and no calls at all.
    I just think people have no money these days and puppies are not where the household budget stretches too.
    I have the room to keep them though they will be homed outside like my others.
    what pups have you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm half tempted to travel down to Tipperary just to get a puppy from you now :P. Or, I would if our garden didn't still need prep before we can get a dog :(. How much are you selling them for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement