Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dave1982 wrote: »
    Rte said that ? lol

How is it in Cobh? We are booked for the Arts and Craft Fair next Sunday and desperately don;t want to miss it.

As we are on one of the timber lorry roads near Enniskeane, I reckon that the roads may be OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dave1982 wrote: »
    Rte said that ? lol

No, Met Eireann said it. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yea decent band of precip expected to head East coast tonight and during Tuesday morning but i fear it may actually accelerate a thaw for coastal parts, say 5-10 miles from the coast from Dundalk to Bray inland. With sleet falling. Hope is that the wind doesnt pick up too much but a possibility of a thaw through this afternoon into Tuesday AM before Siberian air returns behind the front with fresh easterly winds and driving snow showers for the east coast.

If we could some how get tonights lot as snow we'd certainly be calling it SNOWVEMBER.

But temps in NI this morning worry me and this will be the type of air around for tonights precip.

Reckon it will fall as snow inland of say 10 miles. And i think GONZO will get a hammering:D;)

Given the compacted nature of the snow and ice even if it was hail it would make things very dangerous and would hardly force a thaw. As regards a thaw you also have to keep in mind ground temperatures aswell which id say are pretty cold at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

latest bbc forecast not making a whole lot of tonight's system a bit of snow at all levels but not much.

trims snow shield working incredibly well,only snow was a brief shower sat at 7am and nowt since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Looks like Cork is about to get a plastering ! All clear up here in the NW :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

How accurate is the meteoalarm? It has us on Orange Alert for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 07:36

Weather advisory

This exceptionally cold weather will continue through the week.
    Night-time temperatures will drop as low as -10C (or lower) and daytime maxima of zero to 4 degrees C.
    Further snow showers will occur with a high risk of significant accumulations in the east.
    Freezing fog also.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

"high risk of significant accumulations" :)

LFCFan wrote: »
    How accurate is the meteoalarm? It has us on Orange Alert for today.

It's based on the Met Eireann warnings. Ireland is a participating country. It is directly linked on to the Met Eireann website.

www.meteoalarm.eu is the website that integrates all important severe weather information originating from the official National Public Weather Services across a large number of European countries.

0Z ECM at 240 hours....

ECM0-240.GIF?29-12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Morning all!:) Well after my utter disappointment last night i have now awoken to fresh hope that we may see some of the white stuff in the City today! Judging by the ME radar and the huge black clouds rolling in we could be in with a VERY good chance!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Weather Warning

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 07:36

Weather advisory

This exceptionally cold weather will continue through the week.
    Night-time temperatures will drop as low as -10C (or lower) and daytime maxima of zero to 4 degrees C.
    Further snow showers will occur with a high risk of significant accumulations in the east.
    Freezing fog also.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

"high risk of significant accumulations" :)

''...in the east'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

leahyl wrote: »
    Morning all!:) Well after my utter disappointment last night i have now awoken to fresh hope that we may see some of the white stuff in the City today! Judging by the ME radar and the huge black clouds rolling in we could be in with a VERY good chance!:D

Hope to god not. I am at work now and want to be able to get home. Have to collect the kids also and if it snows I am fecked with all the very steep hills involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Looking out my workplace I can see some dark clouds forming, we might be in luck today leahyl!!

GavinH wrote: »
    Fingers crossed

Yeah just had another look at the radar and it seems to be going off a bit to the west before it comes inland so could still miss out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

So what are the chances of there being some heavy snow in Dublin today or tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Yeah just had another look at the radar and it seems to be going off a bit to the west before it comes inland so could still miss out.......

So the west is going to get some snow today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

0Z ECM at 240 hours....

Does 240 hrs mean that in 10 days time the weather is expected to be the same - IE cold? Or is it getting colder?

You'll get it alright.
    It should hit all of cork city,it's just that it won't go as far north as last nights.
    Maybe 10 to 15 miles further south.
    As I said earlier,it's been brewing out over a warm sea for a while so expect thunder and very heavy snow.

Lol... Leahyl just had a snow orgasm from that post BB. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

irish1967 wrote: »
    Lol... Leahyl just had a snow orgasm from that post BB. :)

I wouldn't blame her, thunder AND snow all in the one day :D

yeah unfortunately I made it without refreshing the radar.
    That blob was heading due northwest and then switched wnw and now is going due west.
    It should grase the city still but nothing remarkable :/

yeah unfortunately I made it without refreshing the radar.
    That blob was heading due northwest and then switched wnw and now is going due west.
    It should grase the city still but nothing remarkable :/

:( Sure we have no hope at all so - i'm on the northside and there was no snow at all last night even when, as you said, the snow went far enough north so if it's not going to go as far north this time i'm finished:(!

Damn, exit stage left.

Chris Falkes bbc forecaster just did an extensive piece on news 24 there.
    A weather front moving in from the north east overnight tonight..
    Extensive snow in the East tonight and tomorrow and wenesday on his graphics.

Yeah. Evelyn mentioned a front moving in tuesday or Wednesday giving snow. I presume it's coming in from the east. Is it due to pass over the whole country or just clip the east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks like a few showers bubbling up from the Isle of Man there on the radar

anybody like to comment on what affect the low thats building and moving up from off the SW coast of Ireland?

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah. Evelyn mentioned a front moving in tuesday or Wednesday giving snow. I presume it's coming in from the east. Is it due to pass over the whole country or just clip the east ?
    South of Ulster on chris's graphics.
    It's the most snow graphic I've seen him put over Eastern,central and southern Ireland.
    I remember january '87 (I'm old folks!) when a similar front dumped close to a foot along the East coast and still had snow on it as it exited out past valentia co Kerry.
    This one looks exactly like that.
    Not saying theres going to be that quantity but theres tentative reasons to get excited.
    Theres almost 6 inches here as it is...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Not being greedy...but I feel Waterford deserves more snow ! Got down to minus 8.3 degrees on the auld Lidl Weather station last night!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement