Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

The next 48 hours should be very exciting indeed. I initially thought it was going to be sleet for dublin tomorrow. Obviously I was wrong.

When you check the bbc weather website why does it never mention snow for Dublin in its 5 day forecast? And even the temps look way out of line. 4 degrees tomorrow apparently with 'light rain shower......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hey people, can I just ask the experts on here, any idea what time tonight's events are supposed to be starting, or thereabouts ? My mum is due to land in Dublin at 5pm then travel down to me in Co Waterford, hoping she'll get in and up to me allright, then let it snow let it snow let it snow :D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    The next 48 hours should be very exciting indeed. I initially thought it was going to be sleet for dublin tomorrow. Obviously I was wrong.

When you check the bbc weather website why does it never mention snow for Dublin in its 5 day forecast? And even the temps look way out of line. 4 degrees tomorrow apparently with 'light rain shower......

The BBC forecasts are crap for Ireland, they always make it a habit of showing Ireland with 18C highs during a summer heatwave and Ireland with 4C minimums during an artic cold spell.

Sky News is far more reliable, they have been correct about the distribution of snow showers over Ireland since Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

"The northeasterly wind will strengthen creating blizzard conditions along coastal counties of the south and east. It will remain bitterly cold with top temperatures only between -1 and 2 degrees."

Met Eireann has seriously ramped up it's forecast this morning, this occluded front starts to drop down from across scotland and through us later tonite tomorrow morning :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

bkelly86 wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing more snow in Laois over the next few days?

A decent chance from tonight through to Weds. I'd say. If Met Eireann are suggesting the guts of a foot of snow for Wicklow and maybe 6-8 inches for Dublin and Louth theres a good chance it will make it across to the midlands. Maybe not as much as the east coast but 2-4 inches wouldn't be bad. Definitely a hint of Jan 87 or even Jan 82 in these warnings just out and both times I lived in East Clare then we had a very nice fall each time....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A definite thaw happening here today. Main roads are more or less clear but paths are still icy. Fields and sheltered areas still covered.Temp is 0.4c now, this time yesterday it was -2.1c. We can only hope for a top up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey people, can I just ask the experts on here, any idea what time tonight's events are supposed to be starting, or thereabouts ? My mum is due to land in Dublin at 5pm then travel down to me in Co Waterford, hoping she'll get in and up to me allright, then let it snow let it snow let it snow :D.

My guess is not till around 11-12pm so it should be grand, freezing fog would be more of a worry tough when the temps start to plummet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rhonin wrote: »
    True but I'm just glad its not the horrible rain and rather mild weather we often get.
    Still it would be nice to get a nice heavy snowfall here in the west and north west before this cold spell ends ;)

That's the things about lying snow it always leave you wanting more :D Perhaps that northerly over the weekend will deliver for us.
    The BBC weather outlook has being spot-on so far about it being cold and then less cold at times, so hopefully they don't suddenly change their thinking. If not then this cold spell may well not end anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gonzo wrote: »
    The BBC forecasts are crap for Ireland, they always make it a habit of showing Ireland with 18C highs during a summer heatwave and Ireland with 4C minimums during an artic cold spell.

Sky News is far more reliable, they have been correct about the distribution of snow showers over Ireland since Friday.

Ireland doesn't exist according to the BBC,the most they give is a forecast for the North.Any mention of how Wexford will fare with this next batch of snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

:D at last snow has arrived in north meath :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Met.ie saying blizzard conditions on the east and south coast tomorrow:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

God, I hope this isn't another blizzard that isn't, like LAST YEAR!

That whole thing dissipated in about 5 hours...

[crosses fingers]

On the downside... my mom is supposed to fly back to the states tomorrow morn. Gotta be at Dubs airport at half seven, latest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thaw has just started here, its about 4C milder than yesterday. This time yesterday it was -5C in Dublin Airport, its now 0C and about to go positive. I think things are alot more marginal than met eireann are predicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

esposito wrote: »

The BBC weather is crap and always says sleet for Dublin when in fact it is mostly snow that falls. Stick with Met.ie:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

v serious looking clouds N/NW west of me here in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Met.ie saying blizzard conditions on the east and south coast tomorrow:eek:

i think people should heed tobeconfirmed's warning. i hate to be a party pooper but what he said needs to be considered so people aren't left bitterly disappointed. i'm suspicious anytime snow is forecasted to be significant. we saw what happened towards the end of the big freeze last year when there was all the panic buying and all the east saw was rain.

Anyone really know when:

The snow is supposed to hit?
    The M50 will be gritted?

We're seriously considering sticking my mum in a hotel tonight, so she doesn't miss her plane.

Is that crazy?

i think people should heed tobeconfirmed warning. i hate to be a party pooper but what he said need to be considered so people aren't left bitterly disappointed. i'm suspicious anytime snow is forecasted to be significant. we saw what happened towards the end of the big freeze last year when there was all the panic buying and all the east saw was rain.

I remember that with great great bitterness!

Seems to cold for rain though... I'd say snow or dry, but no rain.

thaw has just started here, its about 4C milder than yesterday. This time yesterday it was -5C in Dublin Airport, its now 0C and about to go positive. I think things are alot more marginal than met eireann are predicting.

Loads of snow in portmarnock/Malahide although temperature is higher now. 1 degree at the moment.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Could I just suggest that anyone with old or infirm neighbors just check in on them, see if they need anything from the shops, etc. its all fun for us but can be hell for them. :)

• Advertisement

i think people should heed tobeconfirmed warning. i hate to be a party pooper but what he said need to be considered so people aren't left bitterly disappointed. i'm suspicious anytime snow is forecasted to be significant. we saw what happened towards the end of the big freeze last year when there was all the panic buying and all the east saw was rain.

Sleet actually.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Anyone really know when:

The M50 will be gritted?

We're seriously considering sticking my mum in a hotel tonight, so she doesn't miss her plane.

Is that crazy?
    MilanPan!c I am up in Balbriggan so the best I can do is keep you up date from here.....BUT... I would imagine M1-M50 will be gritted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tomorrow

Tomorrow the heavy snow showers will continue in the east and some isolated snow showers could affect the far south coast. But otherwise it will be mostly dry and sunny. The northeasterly wind will strengthen creating blizzard conditions along coastal counties of the south and east. It will remain bitterly cold with top temperatures only between -1 and 2 degrees.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Anyone really know when:

The M50 will be gritted?

Is that crazy?

The roads should be gritted, but if it's gonna be as bad as forecasted, I seriously doubt the DAA could cope with it as per usual. The Clarion is only 69 yoyos and that's about as close as you can get to the airport :)

neil2304 wrote: »
    The roads should be gritted, but if it's gonna be as bad as forecasted, I seriously doubt the DAA could cope with it as per usual. The Clarion is only 69 yoyos and that's about as close as you can get to the airport :)

The next tab over, was is their website....

I guess an ounce or prevention...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

1C in Trim now, was about -2C this time yesterday.

now snowing in Balrothery Nth County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I can see some good showers not too far to my north, not showing on the radar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann openly talking about 25cm of snow in places and blizzard conditions....in November.

Pretty amazing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

those near radio, put on radio 1 now for weather 1250

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement