Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Does 240 hrs mean that in 10 days time the weather is expected to be the same - IE cold? Or is it getting colder?

I think it predicts staying cold but as it 10 days out it is subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

South of Ulster on chris's graphics.
    It's the most snow graphic I've seen him put over Eastern,central and southern Ireland.
    I remember january '87 (I'm old folks!) when a similar front dumped close to a foot along the East coast and still had snow on it as it exited out past valentia co Kerry.
    This one looks exactly like that.
    Not saying theres going to be that quantity but theres tentative reasons to get excited.
    Theres almost 6 inches here as it is...:eek:

yeah i remember january 1987 as well and i was just a small lad! it was some amount of snow dumped on a saturday/sunday from what i can recall. schools closed for the following week. just wonder if the front will dissipate moving south what with the cold air over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I remember January '87 too - quite severe all right. 1981/82 was the severest of my lifetime (bar last year) and that was very full-on. I was only very little but I remember it clearly.
    leahyl wrote: »
    :( Sure we have no hope at all so - i'm on the northside and there was no snow at all last night even when, as you said, the snow went far enough north so if it's not going to go as far north this time i'm finished:(!
    Northside here too - not a flake this morning. But both today and yesterday, out Ballincollig, Blarney, Bishopstown ways... anywhere to the west and beginning with B it seems :) there is a light dusting of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    anybody like to comment on what affect the low thats building and moving up from off the SW coast of Ireland?

when is that scheduled to move in Gavin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not being greedy...but I feel Waterford deserves more snow ! Got down to minus 8.3 degrees on the auld Lidl Weather station last night!

Agree, we need a snow top up here in Waterford but i can't see where we are going to get it from today. Unless some showers brew up in the Irish Sea. Its not too encouraging looking at the forecasts for us for the week but hopefully we will get something.
    For the record my Low Temp last night was -5.4c, Currently the sun is out, Temp -2.6c and rising.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

South of Ulster on chris's graphics.
    It's the most snow graphic I've seen him put over Eastern,central and southern Ireland.
    I remember january '87 (I'm old folks!) when a similar front dumped close to a foot along the East coast and still had snow on it as it exited out past valentia co Kerry.
    This one looks exactly like that.
    Not saying theres going to be that quantity but theres tentative reasons to get excited.
    Theres almost 6 inches here as it is...:eek:

sorry i dont see the extensive snow in the video he has on this page....some showers coming in but nothing extensive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Agree, we need a snow top up here in Waterford but i can't see where we are going to get it from today. Unless some showers brew up in the Irish Sea. Its not too encouraging looking at the forecasts for us for the week but hopefully we will get something.
    For the record my Low Temp last night was -5.4c, Currently the sun is out, Temp -2.6c and rising.

Based on the 06Z GFS that is rolling out there is zero precip for us up to around midnight anyway. Tomorrow morning looks more encouragining for the southeast, but as we saw Sunday morning there are no certainties and showers can be hit and miss even when they do come :

27-574.GIF?29-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I dunno Mick, the 5 day forecast on Met Eireann gives a fair amount of precipitation. Having said that they didn't give the snow we got on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a bit of pessimism floating around this morning. Why the uncertainty and what's embedded in this flow that could drag the dewpoints above freezing for the east coast? Also, are there any signs to look out for which will give a good indication as to how likely this will fall as snow in Dublin for example?

The air which is coming from southern Scotland will be brought over at about 15kts and during the nighttime too, although the track is suggesting an awful lot of time over water...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

homolumo wrote: »
    I dunno Mick, the 5 day forecast on Met Eireann gives a fair amount of precipitation. Having said that they didn't give the snow we got on Sat.

As Maq said in the previous post nothing up to midnight with a chance tomorrow but it certainly is hit and miss. Hope Met Eireann are right for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

THose showers bubbling up from the Isle of Man look to be on a track towards Dublin at the moment, and building on the way too

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

when is that scheduled to move in Gavin?

I am looking at it on Sat24.com. Looks to be moving in our direction.

A nice UKMO chart for tomorrow. I think we need something to get our spirits up ;)
    10113012_2900.gif

A nice UKMO chart for tomorrow. I think we need something to get our spirits up ;)
    10113012_2900.gif

its a nice chart, but its not a great chart.

inabina wrote: »
    sorry i dont see the extensive snow in the video he has on this page....some showers coming in but nothing extensive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209
    Thats computer generated..
    I can assure you what Chris showed on news 24 in an extensive piece on whats coming was very different to that graphic!
    He was being interviewed and then went on to do the weather.

(Edit I can't watch the video underneath but bear in mind,that was at 730am,the interview/discussion and graphics I saw were at 930 and they did go into detain and they had a lot of Eastern Ireland just painted..and those graphics are usually an underestimate!)

its a nice chart, but its not a great chart.

I'll take any sort of chart now, doesn't have to be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Good for the east and south east, and waterford is in for more snow tommorow and wen:)

I can assure you what Chris showed on news 24 in an extensive piece on whats coming was very different to that graphic!

Is that piece available online anywhere???

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Gah nothing for the west or SW again. Waiting for the winds to turn NW'ly for the fun can be shared equally. The east is hogging all the snow for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭Calibos

As is our right and privilege! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i believe there is more snow forecast for the southern and south eastern coast for tomorrow evening and wednesday is this going to happen and will it be much

(Edit I can't watch the video underneath but bear in mind,that was at 730am,the interview/discussion and graphics I saw were at 930 and they did go into detain and they had a lot of Eastern Ireland just painted..and those graphics are usually an underestimate!)

i belive you, and it does back up what Evelyn was saying this morning. She was on at 7.55 and i would know by the writing that she wrote that weather warning on MET.IE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

M2 buoy says sea is 12.2, temp in dub is -5. that temp difference must lead to some convection albeit at the coast

UK Outlook for Monday 13 Dec 2010 to Monday 27 Dec 2010:

The cold conditions are likely to continue. Precipitation amounts should be average or slightly below, with a risk of sleet and snow at times in many areas. Sunshine amounts are likely to be above average, although some southeastern parts may see more in the way of cloud. Temperatures are likely to continue below average, with widespread frosts, sometimes severe. However, some western and southern parts may be less cold at the start of the period in particular, but still with the risk of further rain, sleet and snow.

I know it's a long way off but uk met reckon this could last on and off to xmas

i belive you, and it does back up what Evelyn was saying this morning. She was on at 7.55 and i would know by the writing that she wrote that weather warning on MET.IE!!

Weather Warning

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 07:36
    Weather advisory
    This exceptionally cold weather will continue through the week.
    Night-time temperatures will drop as low as -10C (or lower) and daytime maxima of zero to 4 degrees C.
    Further snow showers will occur with a high risk of significant accumulations in the east.
    Freezing fog also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Hirlam is normally very accurate, click on nedbor, snow lovers in the east and south east will like this from tue on

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Met Eireann website for tonight:

"Heavy snow showers are possible in the east tonight with significant accumulations and some snow showers may drift across the country to the west as well. Lowest air temperatures zero to -8 degrees with a very severe frost, ice and freezing fog."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If only the wind would shift slightly more northerly we'd be in for an epic stream of snow right now. Theres a constant band passing over Inishowen once again today, if it was only a couple of degrees colder up there they'd be under feet of snow at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Hirlam is normally very accurate, click on nedbor, snow lovers in the east and south east will like this from tue on

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Thats non-stop precipitation for the east! Can only hope it comes true!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Met Eireann website for tonight:

"Heavy snow showers are possible in the east tonight with significant accumulations and some snow showers may drift across the country to the west as well. Lowest air temperatures zero to -8 degrees with a very severe frost, ice and freezing fog."

:D

Hopefully, this comes off. One or two showers popped up here last night out of nowhere. I think it will mainly affect the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement