Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Kippure wrote: »
    We are in for a pasting here on the east coast over the next couple of days, according to the 12z Gfs run. Direct easterlies, plenty of snow thunder lightening etc to come in off the irish sea.
    when are we to expect the winds to change Kippure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Winds should switch easterly just before midnight. Then everything is straight on to the East coast. The LP off the Northeast coast of England is what is coming here. Winds are already Easterly there.

Just been out and about - some pretty dodgy pavements out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

darkman2 wrote: »
    Winds should switch easterly just before midnight. Then everything is straight on to the East coast. The LP off the Northeast coast of England is what is coming here. Winds are already Easterly there.

cheers darkman2,yeah was out earlier myself & side roads were like glass,goina be a dangerous night for driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I make that about a further inch and a half that has accumlated since the snow started this evening.

I think you took the good out of that shower Nacho, not so much as a isolated flake made it down this far! :mad:. Feck it!

Roads dangerously icy around with cars struggling to get up even minor ascents. Not a night for driving if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM out to 120 hours. Keepin it cold.
    ECM1-120.GIF?27-0

And 144 hours...

ECM0-144.GIF?27-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Hi - Whats the chance of Dublin getting any more snow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just got another light dusting in Lucan Village...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Watching this low all day darkman, it looked earlier it would hit the north midlands maybe Louth, N Meath, Monaghan Cavan and Leitrim,and N Ireland but now i feel it will hit further north.:(

And a week from today, ECM still has -6 to -8 uppers over us

ECM0-168.GIF?27-0

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Heyes wrote: »
    Hi - Whats the chance of Dublin getting any more snow ?

IF your in the south id say 100% but i say everywhere will see snow again

• Advertisement

And a week from today, ECM still has -6 to -8 uppers over us

ECM0-168.GIF?27-0
    I see that.
    Interestingly thats a change of tack I think from ecmwf prolnging the cold spell.
    Eveyln suggested an end on thursday meaning she was working off an earlier run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I see that.
    Interestingly thats a change of tack I think from ecmwf prolnging the cold spell.
    Eveyln suggested an end on thursday meaning she was working off an earlier run.

Interesting to see what they say after the 9 news, will the 18z be out by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nacho how many inches of snow is there at you now alltogether?
    See RTE Said there was 4 inches in Killkenny yet one of our posters showed us 8 inches ;)
    Snow measurments are much more reliable on Boards. :)

The 12Z ECM is rolling out now. Im not sure if they change the medium range forecast between the 6 and 9 news though.

Pangea wrote: »
    Nacho how many inches of snow is there at you now alltogether?
    See RTE Said there was 4 inches in Killkenny yet one of our posters showed us 8 inches ;)
    Snow measurments are much more reliable on Boards. :)
    Theres a good 8 inches in and around north wexford too south of Gorey but not a word.
    Met Éireann mainly use ecm and hirlam.
    So the 18z gfs will not influence them too much I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas9200

Is there any snow due for sligo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

delw wrote: »
    when are we to expect the winds to change Kippure?

M2 bouy, just reading winds now in a Northeast direction

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Game on for everyone in the East and South East when that wind changes :)
    Bitter night out there, wind has gone to calm so temps are dropping like a stone. Currently -1.7c DP -3.3c. Paths and roads like glass.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Theres a good 8 inches in and around north wexford too south of Gorey but not a word.

BB,whats still to come tonight? Ive to get to Oulart & back tomorrow.. whats the chances looking like ?

Is there any snow due for sligo??
    possibly tomorrow afternoon according to hirlam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Anything for Navan tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We had about 4 inches here i would say and not even a mention on the news or weather forecast. Really disgraceful coverage and forecasting from RTE/ MET. Thankfully we have the experts in here to keep us informed. Thanks to all of them by the way.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    BB,whats still to come tonight? Ive to get to Oulart & back tomorrow.. whats the chances looking like ?
    yikes roads around and down to oulart will be very icy in the morning and evening,they should have had a fair bit of snow lying down there.
    Hirlam says lots of snow showers in similar vein to last night after midnight tonight along the east coast so you could potentially meet a lot of snow on any random stretch from Bray down.
    The m11/n11 will be gritted but all other secondary routes are just ignored so lethal at times.
    Even the gritted M11 Arklow and Gorey bypass during the snow last night was treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Warning in advance: My post's a little "IMBY":)

This wind direction is a pain in the ass for the east coast itself. And the comma low is not really moving across northern England as i'd like it to. If all the LPs moved a little more westward than they are, we'd be in business! The latest HIRLAM is also reducing the risk of snow for much of the Leinster coast in the next 2 days...

So, does anyone have some good reasons to hope for snow in Dublin tonight or tomorrow?!

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Anything for Navan tonight?
    Again it's a medium probability verging on the higher side of medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I think you took the good out of that shower Nacho, not so much as a isolated flake made it down this far! :mad:. Feck it!

Sorry I doubted your generosity Nacho, heavy snow now. Nice fresh covering already.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

yikes roads around and down to oulart will be very icy in the morning and evening,they should have had a fair bit of snow lying down there.
    Hirlam says lots of snow showers in similar vein to last night after midnight tonight along the east coast so you could potentially meet a lot of snow on any random stretch from Bray down.
    The m11/n11 will be gritted but all other secondary routes are just ignored so lethal at times.
    Even the gritted M11 Arklow and Gorey bypass during the snow last night was treacherous.

Be safer to leave them there me thinks .... Kiddies are in nan's for weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

GFS for the early hours clearly shows the winds will be Easterly and precip coming on to the East coast tonight.

Wind direction

15-602.GIF?27-12

Precipitation

15-574.GIF?27-12

18-574.GIF?27-12

So looks good for at the very least a dusting in Eastern coastal counties. This is the time now to get the showers. 850mb temps near or at -10 in the Irish Sea. Anything that falls there is going to be snow. Looks good. Gonna be a nowcast rather then a forcast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The low over the northeast coast of England is drifting west under an upper low and should begin to track more WSW after midnight, but I expect this feature to lose definition over England before trying to redevelop well after midnight over the Irish Sea. This means that any snow before late morning in eastern counties would have to come from unrelated streamers developing over the Irish Sea. This may happen but with such a slack wind gradient and cold temperatures inland due to earlier snow cover, meso-scale winds around Dublin are likely to remain W-NW with the streamers being forced more south towards Wicklow (again). However some other weak snow flurries could develop further north and move inland anywhere along the east coast.

Would expect then a few areas of snow to develop later tonight but more likely to be in Wicklow (as well as much further west). Inland temperatures could fall as low as -8 to -10 C over snow cover. By late morning and through mid-day Sunday, areas of snow may develop in response to the upper low drifting west across Ireland. With any luck (if you're a snow lover and if not, sorry, wrong thread) some of this snow may become moderately heavy in places -- there would be potential for 5-8 cms in some areas.

Looking further ahead, nothing but east winds and at times a bit of a southeast component that may get even places like Cork into the action, but favouring Meath-Dublin-Wicklow region in general. There is really no reliable sign of a warmup at all, the models are behaving as they normally do in a prolonged cold spell. There is such a deep supply of cold air in the European arctic and in central Siberia that as long as the Atlantic sector does not undergo a total reversal of form, I believe the pattern will remain cold with just the odd near-normal respite from a weak system dropping south and turning the winds more NW'ly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Which way is the wind blowing in the middle of the country on this forecast?
    I'm not sure on wind direction symbols

3hr-wind.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement