Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

LordSutch wrote: »
    Beautiful indeed, but only if I can pronounce it correctly :)

Sive like 5 with a S not a F :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Many thanks for that peeps, hopefully I will remember the Chive/Five/Sythe rule next time I encounter the name. I suspect I won't be the last person to ask how its pronounced, same goes for Medb, Caoimhe, or any of those really strong Gaelic names.

Difficult spellings, but lovely names once you know how they sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    But as for Irish names in general, because of the different dialects in different areas of Ireland they usually have different pronunciations within each area :)

Sadhbh is one of the exceptions, where the dialect doesn't affect the pronunciation; it's always Five with an 'S'!

Article on most popular names in England and Wales recently:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/names1010.pdf

I'm always really interested in these lists. I'll use them for names to avoid for our next little one (well the top 20 anyway!).

I didn't think Oliver was that popular, wouldn't be too gone on it personally.

Deemark, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ is deadly for showing popularity in ireland and other countries

lynski wrote: »
    Deemark, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ is deadly for showing popularity in ireland and other countries

Ta lynski, I love that site too! My wee buck is only 5 months, I've already got a raised eyebrow from the other half for even reading the last article!!:D

well if you think he needs a sibling shure crack on!
    IMHO the closer in age the better and it could take ages to get pg. my 2 are 2 yrs apart not for the want of trying ;-)

Middle names, Yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Middle names, Yes or no?

Oh Yes!!!! middle names are great

Middle names, Yes or no?

Middle names, I feel anyway, should have meaning to the family too, such as keeping a family name going or something.

My sons' middle names are James and Pearse after James Connolly and Patrick Pearse. Nice and republican :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I'm in favour of middle names. Gives the Child more choice about their future identity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Middle names, I feel anyway, should have meaning to the family too, such as keeping a family name going or something.

+1 On this

I even have a whole name thats family related Isobella Patricia my grandmothers name and his mothers names also putting my surname along with his on the birthcert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

We give our kids their great grandparents/grandparents from both sides names as their middle names, gives them 2 middle names but it sounds lovely when its written out and its lovely to explain to them where the names come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I'm not planning on being pregnant for another few years yet, but what can I say I'm a romantic ^^',

I've loved these names for as long as I can remember:
    Girls:
    Fionnuala
    Clodagh
    Kyna (pronounced kee-na)

Boys:
    Ruaidhrí is the only name I really like :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a cousin called Corrina and her nephews call her:

Kyna (pronounced kee-na)...it's soooo cute!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Squiggler wrote: »
    I'm in favour of middle names. Gives the Child more choice about their future identity too.

My middle names are as much a part of my identity as my first name. I have both an Irish name and a Setswana name to represent my heritage and my birthplace and the country that I grew up in! (Botswana! :P)

My brothers both have the same as well. Our first names are all Irish, an Irish middle name and a Setswana one too. For me they're something to be proud of.

My middle names are as much a part of my identity as my first name. I have both an Irish name and a Setswana name to represent my heritage and my birthplace and the country that I grew up in! (Botswana! :P)

My brothers both have the same as well. Our first names are all Irish, an Irish middle name and a Setswana one too. For me they're something to be proud of.

I think that is lovely.

My firstname and middle name are the firstnames of my two Grandmothers.

My sister and her husband both use their middle names as their commonly used name, not their first name.

If current Bun (as opposed to currant bun) is a boy we are planning to name him after my father, with my dad's surname (which can also be a firstname) as Bun's firstname and dad's firstname as Bun's middle name. It was my husband's idea (and made me very happy) He'll get my husband's surname, so this is our way of making sure both families are represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Squiggler wrote: »
    If current Bun (as opposed to currant bun).

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

will prob get slagged on here. But i called my little girl Bronte. After Charlotte Bronte(writer of Jane eyre). i like the name vivien and bella also. if i ever have a boy it will be Michael after my husbands Dad.

• Advertisement

will prob get slagged on here. But i called my little girl Bronte. After Charlotte Bronte

I think that's gorgeous and the name literally has a story behind it! I know of a woman whose kids are Dylan, Byron and Eliot, although I don't know if the literary allusions are intentional!

I predict a lot of baby Catherines will be christened in Ireland next year.

Dare I ask why? Surely not because of a royal wedding? If so, that is very very odd:confused:

I named my son after Irish Historical Figures, not foreign ones!

I think Catherine will increase in popularity next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Girl
    - Anna (my cousins name)
    - Emily
    - Emma
    - Elle
    - Lilly
    - Heather (Cousins name she's adorable)
    - Katie (My friends name)
    - Charlie

Boy
    - James (One of my bestfriends name always loved it)
    - Tyler
    - Charlie
    - Alex
    - Michael (Boyfriend, Father, Brother and nephew all michael haha!)

I haven't really thought about it but I seem to like these names loads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Love the name Ellie but it is already the name of a friend's daughter.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Love the name Ellie but it is already the name of a friend's daughter.

Sure, that shouldn't stop you. If you like a name you should use it too. :)

It would only confirm to your friend you love the name too :D

Sure, that shouldn't stop you. If you like a name you should use it too. :)

It would only confirm to your friend you love the name too :D
    I asked her a few years ago and she said no, ah well...the beautiful Ellie is a character in herself and no one can compare to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I think i'm gonna go with 1 syllable names...

When they piss me off, i don't want to be thinking too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Girl
    - Anna (my cousins name)
    - Emily
    - Emma
    - Elle
    - Lilly
    - Heather (Cousins name she's adorable)
    - Katie (My friends name)
    - Charlie

Boy
    - James (One of my bestfriends name always loved it)
    - Tyler
    - Charlie
    - Alex
    - Michael (Boyfriend, Father, Brother and nephew all michael haha!)

I haven't really thought about it but I seem to like these names loads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I asked her a few years ago and she said no, ah well...the beautiful Ellie is a character in herself and no one can compare to her.

Thats a pity, you could always double barrel the first name ellie-(insert name) you could also use it as a middle name.

My cousins daughter is elodie (like melody without the M)

My daughter is Samantha Louise my cousin is Samantha, she shares her middle name with her godmothers (also her aunts) middle name (not that we knew that at the time)

(Ryan Richard my 4 year old boy) my husbands cousin has a son called ryan and his grandmothers maiden name was ryan, he also has his fathers/great grandfathers/ (also grand fathers middle name) name as his middle name.

My other son Benjamin James (5) has his grandfathers first name as his middle name also happens to be his great great grandfathers name, and my nephews middle name, also in the hospital ward there were 3 other Benjamin's and a possible benjamin but decided to call him gavin as there were too many Benjamin's in the ward.

So confusing to make it easier, father, grandfather, great grand father, great great grand father, and great great great grand father, were all james richard or richard james i broke the tradition and only kept richard and james as middle names.

• Advertisement

My son is named after his granddad. There was no discussing it, I was merely informed of the situation. My ex's sister didn't want him to have the name as she felt though she is in her late 40's it is hers in case she has children (she is a bit mad sometimes with her rational)

We ignored her, if she adopted a child in the morning and called him the same name I would not care. I would not let another person tell me what I can and cannot call my child!

We did get a bit of hastle when we named our son after his daddy as his cousin is also named after his daddy but I know that it was the right decision - we got a 4-d scan and he looked (still does) exactly like his daddy. The jokes were out again that we would call our daughter (if we have a girl) after me, thought that was a bit cruel. Our son had 3 names, his cousin had 4, go figure...

We did get a bit of hastle when we named our son after his daddy as his cousin is also named after his daddy but I know that it was the right decision - we got a 4-d scan and he looked (still does) exactly like his daddy. The jokes were out again that we would call our daughter (if we have a girl) after me, thought that was a bit cruel. Our son had 3 names, his cousin had 4, go figure...
    There is nothing wrong with the name Shane!!!!! My ex is called Shane too!

I just think you should call your child anything normal that you want, as long as it is not something like Jamie Olivers or Bob Geldof's kids!!!!

There is nothing wrong with the name Shane!!!!! My ex is called Shane too!

I just think you should call your child anything normal that you want, as long as it is not something like Jamie Olivers or Bob Geldof's kids!!!!
    We called him Shane James Gabriel (his last name is one of my daddy's names, is also the name of my favourite artist)...apparently because I did not call his third name after my husband's family I got into trouble with some of the inlaws. I think that you can never win with names, someone will always be upset.

We called him Shane James Gabriel (his last name is one of my daddy's names, is also the name of my favourite artist)...apparently because I did not call his third name after my husband's family I got into trouble with some of the inlaws. I think that you can never win with names, someone will always be upset.

There is none of my family in my sons name Aidan (grandfathers name) James (after Connolly) Pearse (after Patrick Pearse) and he has his dads surname!

There was anger we didn't add anymore family names but we love Irish history so it suited us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm lucky enough to really like my name - Aileen

I was named after Lady Guinness, who in turn christened her daughter Neelia (Aileen backwards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We had it easy naming our son. My dad, his grandfather, my brother, my father-in-law and his father all have/had the same name (but slightly different versions of it) so we gave that to our son as his first name. My husband also has that name as his first name, although he is called by his second name, so we do the same thing with our boy, we call him by his second name. No one in the family has ever had that name, we chose because it reminds us of two very good friends of ours as well as a place where we used to live. It's nice, the tradition of the family name is continued and in all official documents the name is there, but he still has his own unique name.

Dare I ask why? Surely not because of a royal wedding? If so, that is very very odd:confused:

Very odd??? It always has been common in Ireland for people to name their children after Royals, Diana being a prime example of a christian name which became very popular in Britain & Ireland in the early 80s, believe it or not there always has been a lot of affection in Ireland for names used
    by the Royals, and besides, I like the name Catherine & its abbreviated form 'Kate'.
    I named my son after Irish Historical Figures, not foreign ones!

Good for you! but I think you will find that Irish people are free to choose names from all over the world, including English names, French names, Welsh names, German names, Italian names, and everything else in between (including Royal names) :)

It always has been common in Ireland for people to name their children after Royals, Diana being a prime example of a christian name which became very popular in Britain & Ireland in the early 80s, believe it or not there always has been a lot of affection in Ireland for names used
    by the Royals, and besides, I like the name Catherine.

Good for you! but I think you will find that Irish people are free to choose names from all over the world, including English names, French names, Welsh names, German names, Italian names, and everything else in between (including Royal names) :)

I just think it is odd to call a child after an event in a foreign country, but then again many would say calling my son after leaders of 1916 is odd!

Catherine will always be popular, it also gives way to many shorter names like Kate and Katie!:)

• Advertisement

My brother is shane and his son is alex james.

My other brother wanted his son to be called shane and his gf went off with another guy 2 weeks before the baby was born and called the son after her new bf brother.

I just think it is odd to call a child after an event in a foreign country, but then again many would say calling my son after leaders of 1916 is odd!

Catherine will always be popular, it also gives way to many shorter names like Kate and Katie!:)

How many john paul's do i know aged between 31 and 32, too many! I blame it on the pope's visit.

I had my son around the time pope Benedict was made pope and i had a few people ask me if i names Ben after the pope, not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think Catherine will increase in popularity next year.

It's pretty popular anyway. My name is Catherine Elizabeth just like her (we are around the same age). I have a first cousin 20 years younger than me with the same name, I'm known as Cathy and she is Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

I have no say in a boys name, I am told it will be husbands, grandads, great grandads etc etc going back several generations, And I hate it, Patrick, :(:(:(:(.
    We've Lola picked for a girl, can't wait for the look on mother in laws face when she finds out the baby is named after a transvestitie.:D:D:D:D:D

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    I have no say in a boys name, I am told it will be husbands, grandads, great grandads etc etc going back several generations, And I hate it, Patrick, :(:(:(:(.
    We've Lola picked for a girl, can't wait for the look on mother in laws face when she finds out the baby is named after a transvestitie.:D:D:D:D:D

THAT'S what the song is about????:eek: Must google the lyrics...

Sure, you can put the Patrick in as a second name or threaten to use an abbreviation that he hates like Patsy or Pa.....:D That might change his mind!

Two different friends of mine and my husband are named after their parents and there was a lot of confusion when they got older with post and official forms, but if you're expecting that, I suppose you could change the spelling, add an initial or use a middle name. My parents-in-law didn't and he still hates when stuff arrives with Jr on it - he's 32, makes him sound like a kid!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

deemark wrote: »

Sure, you can put the Patrick in as a second name or threaten to use an abbreviation that he hates like Patsy or Pa.....:D That might change his mind!

Two different friends of mine and my husband are named after their parents and there was a lot of confusion when they got older with post and official forms, but if you're expecting that, I suppose you could change the spelling, add an initial or use a middle name. My parents-in-law didn't and he still hates when stuff arrives with Jr on it - he's 32, makes him sound like a kid!

Do you prefer the Irish version any better - Padraig? Could be an idea while still continuing the name! :)

• Advertisement

You do have a say in what you call your son! Your the one who organised the birth cert.

If you hate the name then use it as a middle name it keep it in the family. I put my foot down there wasnt a hope in hell i was calling my boys after my in laws family and my husband knew it and never pushed it. He was surprised that i suggested putting his name as the second fellas middle name and was over the moon.

I think lola is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

deemark wrote: »

Do you prefer the Irish version any better - Padraig? Could be an idea while still continuing the name! :)
    You do have a say in what you call your son! Your the one who organised the birth cert.

If you hate the name then use it as a middle name it keep it in the family. I put my foot down there wasnt a hope in hell i was calling my boys after my in laws family and my husband knew it and never pushed it. He was surprised that i suggested putting his name as the second fellas middle name and was over the moon.

I think lola is lovely.

Not a hope of anything else I'm afraid, we had this discussion 10 years and 2 years ago when our 2 daughters were born, not a chance of a variation either so Paddy, Pa, Padraig, Patsy etc all out! Will insist on my choice of second name though and call the child that:D:D, if it's a boy, although feeling it's a girl again so fingers crossed. My only hope is mother in law who thinks it's not fair on the child and will cause confusion for the postman! Must have another word in her ear next time I see her and she can set him straight:pac:

At least your Mother-in-Law appears to be able to see reason. My OH and I were talking about this phenomonem recently (not a problem for us as neither of our families have such a "tradition") and I remembered my Dad's comment on hearing that an acquaintance had given his son the same first name as he and his father had. (The poor guy has been known as "Joseph-Three-sticks" (Joseph III) since birth.) My Dad said "that family have no imagination". :)

It works on so many levels. Not just the boredom of all the males having the same name and the confusion at family events but also the lack of personal identity which can lead to all kinds of embarrassment and even to official mistakes... no family with imgination would put a kid through all of that.

Not a hope of anything else I'm afraid, we had this discussion 10 years and 2 years ago when our 2 daughters were born, not a chance of a variation either so Paddy, Pa, Padraig, Patsy etc all out! Will insist on my choice of second name though and call the child that:D:D, if it's a boy, although feeling it's a girl again so fingers crossed. My only hope is mother in law who thinks it's not fair on the child and will cause confusion for the postman! Must have another word in her ear next time I see her and she can set him straight:pac:

Best of luck with it.

How many john paul's do i know aged between 31 and 32, too many! I blame it on the pope's visit.

I had my son around the time pope Benedict was made pope and i had a few people ask me if i names Ben after the pope, not a hope.

Yes, everyone I know born 1979 and 1980 has it at least in their name!!!

Nah, I like Ben as a name but I would not call my son it if it was around that time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement