Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

LordSutch wrote: »
    Middle names, Yes or no?

Middle names, I feel anyway, should have meaning to the family too, such as keeping a family name going or something.

My sons' middle names are James and Pearse after James Connolly and Patrick Pearse. Nice and republican :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I'm in favour of middle names. Gives the Child more choice about their future identity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Middle names, I feel anyway, should have meaning to the family too, such as keeping a family name going or something.

+1 On this

I even have a whole name thats family related Isobella Patricia my grandmothers name and his mothers names also putting my surname along with his on the birthcert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

We give our kids their great grandparents/grandparents from both sides names as their middle names, gives them 2 middle names but it sounds lovely when its written out and its lovely to explain to them where the names come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I'm not planning on being pregnant for another few years yet, but what can I say I'm a romantic ^^',

I've loved these names for as long as I can remember:
    Girls:
    Fionnuala
    Clodagh
    Kyna (pronounced kee-na)

Boys:
    Ruaidhrí is the only name I really like :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a cousin called Corrina and her nephews call her:

Kyna (pronounced kee-na)...it's soooo cute!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Squiggler wrote: »
    I'm in favour of middle names. Gives the Child more choice about their future identity too.

My middle names are as much a part of my identity as my first name. I have both an Irish name and a Setswana name to represent my heritage and my birthplace and the country that I grew up in! (Botswana! :P)

My brothers both have the same as well. Our first names are all Irish, an Irish middle name and a Setswana one too. For me they're something to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My middle names are as much a part of my identity as my first name. I have both an Irish name and a Setswana name to represent my heritage and my birthplace and the country that I grew up in! (Botswana! :P)

My brothers both have the same as well. Our first names are all Irish, an Irish middle name and a Setswana one too. For me they're something to be proud of.

I think that is lovely.

My firstname and middle name are the firstnames of my two Grandmothers.

My sister and her husband both use their middle names as their commonly used name, not their first name.

If current Bun (as opposed to currant bun) is a boy we are planning to name him after my father, with my dad's surname (which can also be a firstname) as Bun's firstname and dad's firstname as Bun's middle name. It was my husband's idea (and made me very happy) He'll get my husband's surname, so this is our way of making sure both families are represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Squiggler wrote: »
    If current Bun (as opposed to currant bun).

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

will prob get slagged on here. But i called my little girl Bronte. After Charlotte Bronte(writer of Jane eyre). i like the name vivien and bella also. if i ever have a boy it will be Michael after my husbands Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

will prob get slagged on here. But i called my little girl Bronte. After Charlotte Bronte

I think that's gorgeous and the name literally has a story behind it! I know of a woman whose kids are Dylan, Byron and Eliot, although I don't know if the literary allusions are intentional!

I predict a lot of baby Catherines will be christened in Ireland next year.

Dare I ask why? Surely not because of a royal wedding? If so, that is very very odd:confused:

I named my son after Irish Historical Figures, not foreign ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think Catherine will increase in popularity next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Girl
    - Anna (my cousins name)
    - Emily
    - Emma
    - Elle
    - Lilly
    - Heather (Cousins name she's adorable)
    - Katie (My friends name)
    - Charlie

Boy
    - James (One of my bestfriends name always loved it)
    - Tyler
    - Charlie
    - Alex
    - Michael (Boyfriend, Father, Brother and nephew all michael haha!)

I haven't really thought about it but I seem to like these names loads :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Love the name Ellie but it is already the name of a friend's daughter.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Love the name Ellie but it is already the name of a friend's daughter.

Sure, that shouldn't stop you. If you like a name you should use it too. :)

It would only confirm to your friend you love the name too :D

Sure, that shouldn't stop you. If you like a name you should use it too. :)

It would only confirm to your friend you love the name too :D
    I asked her a few years ago and she said no, ah well...the beautiful Ellie is a character in herself and no one can compare to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I think i'm gonna go with 1 syllable names...

When they piss me off, i don't want to be thinking too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Girl
    - Anna (my cousins name)
    - Emily
    - Emma
    - Elle
    - Lilly
    - Heather (Cousins name she's adorable)
    - Katie (My friends name)
    - Charlie

Boy
    - James (One of my bestfriends name always loved it)
    - Tyler
    - Charlie
    - Alex
    - Michael (Boyfriend, Father, Brother and nephew all michael haha!)

I haven't really thought about it but I seem to like these names loads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I asked her a few years ago and she said no, ah well...the beautiful Ellie is a character in herself and no one can compare to her.

Thats a pity, you could always double barrel the first name ellie-(insert name) you could also use it as a middle name.

My cousins daughter is elodie (like melody without the M)

My daughter is Samantha Louise my cousin is Samantha, she shares her middle name with her godmothers (also her aunts) middle name (not that we knew that at the time)

(Ryan Richard my 4 year old boy) my husbands cousin has a son called ryan and his grandmothers maiden name was ryan, he also has his fathers/great grandfathers/ (also grand fathers middle name) name as his middle name.

My other son Benjamin James (5) has his grandfathers first name as his middle name also happens to be his great great grandfathers name, and my nephews middle name, also in the hospital ward there were 3 other Benjamin's and a possible benjamin but decided to call him gavin as there were too many Benjamin's in the ward.

So confusing to make it easier, father, grandfather, great grand father, great great grand father, and great great great grand father, were all james richard or richard james i broke the tradition and only kept richard and james as middle names.

• Advertisement

My son is named after his granddad. There was no discussing it, I was merely informed of the situation. My ex's sister didn't want him to have the name as she felt though she is in her late 40's it is hers in case she has children (she is a bit mad sometimes with her rational)

We ignored her, if she adopted a child in the morning and called him the same name I would not care. I would not let another person tell me what I can and cannot call my child!

We did get a bit of hastle when we named our son after his daddy as his cousin is also named after his daddy but I know that it was the right decision - we got a 4-d scan and he looked (still does) exactly like his daddy. The jokes were out again that we would call our daughter (if we have a girl) after me, thought that was a bit cruel. Our son had 3 names, his cousin had 4, go figure...

We did get a bit of hastle when we named our son after his daddy as his cousin is also named after his daddy but I know that it was the right decision - we got a 4-d scan and he looked (still does) exactly like his daddy. The jokes were out again that we would call our daughter (if we have a girl) after me, thought that was a bit cruel. Our son had 3 names, his cousin had 4, go figure...
    There is nothing wrong with the name Shane!!!!! My ex is called Shane too!

I just think you should call your child anything normal that you want, as long as it is not something like Jamie Olivers or Bob Geldof's kids!!!!

There is nothing wrong with the name Shane!!!!! My ex is called Shane too!

I just think you should call your child anything normal that you want, as long as it is not something like Jamie Olivers or Bob Geldof's kids!!!!
    We called him Shane James Gabriel (his last name is one of my daddy's names, is also the name of my favourite artist)...apparently because I did not call his third name after my husband's family I got into trouble with some of the inlaws. I think that you can never win with names, someone will always be upset.

We called him Shane James Gabriel (his last name is one of my daddy's names, is also the name of my favourite artist)...apparently because I did not call his third name after my husband's family I got into trouble with some of the inlaws. I think that you can never win with names, someone will always be upset.

There is none of my family in my sons name Aidan (grandfathers name) James (after Connolly) Pearse (after Patrick Pearse) and he has his dads surname!

There was anger we didn't add anymore family names but we love Irish history so it suited us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm lucky enough to really like my name - Aileen

I was named after Lady Guinness, who in turn christened her daughter Neelia (Aileen backwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We had it easy naming our son. My dad, his grandfather, my brother, my father-in-law and his father all have/had the same name (but slightly different versions of it) so we gave that to our son as his first name. My husband also has that name as his first name, although he is called by his second name, so we do the same thing with our boy, we call him by his second name. No one in the family has ever had that name, we chose because it reminds us of two very good friends of ours as well as a place where we used to live. It's nice, the tradition of the family name is continued and in all official documents the name is there, but he still has his own unique name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dare I ask why? Surely not because of a royal wedding? If so, that is very very odd:confused:

Very odd??? It always has been common in Ireland for people to name their children after Royals, Diana being a prime example of a christian name which became very popular in Britain & Ireland in the early 80s, believe it or not there always has been a lot of affection in Ireland for names used
    by the Royals, and besides, I like the name Catherine & its abbreviated form 'Kate'.
    I named my son after Irish Historical Figures, not foreign ones!

Good for you! but I think you will find that Irish people are free to choose names from all over the world, including English names, French names, Welsh names, German names, Italian names, and everything else in between (including Royal names) :)

It always has been common in Ireland for people to name their children after Royals, Diana being a prime example of a christian name which became very popular in Britain & Ireland in the early 80s, believe it or not there always has been a lot of affection in Ireland for names used
    by the Royals, and besides, I like the name Catherine.

Good for you! but I think you will find that Irish people are free to choose names from all over the world, including English names, French names, Welsh names, German names, Italian names, and everything else in between (including Royal names) :)

I just think it is odd to call a child after an event in a foreign country, but then again many would say calling my son after leaders of 1916 is odd!

Catherine will always be popular, it also gives way to many shorter names like Kate and Katie!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My brother is shane and his son is alex james.

My other brother wanted his son to be called shane and his gf went off with another guy 2 weeks before the baby was born and called the son after her new bf brother.

Advertisement