Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I just think it is odd to call a child after an event in a foreign country, but then again many would say calling my son after leaders of 1916 is odd!

Catherine will always be popular, it also gives way to many shorter names like Kate and Katie!:)

How many john paul's do i know aged between 31 and 32, too many! I blame it on the pope's visit.

I had my son around the time pope Benedict was made pope and i had a few people ask me if i names Ben after the pope, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think Catherine will increase in popularity next year.

It's pretty popular anyway. My name is Catherine Elizabeth just like her (we are around the same age). I have a first cousin 20 years younger than me with the same name, I'm known as Cathy and she is Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

I have no say in a boys name, I am told it will be husbands, grandads, great grandads etc etc going back several generations, And I hate it, Patrick, :(:(:(:(.
    We've Lola picked for a girl, can't wait for the look on mother in laws face when she finds out the baby is named after a transvestitie.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    I have no say in a boys name, I am told it will be husbands, grandads, great grandads etc etc going back several generations, And I hate it, Patrick, :(:(:(:(.
    We've Lola picked for a girl, can't wait for the look on mother in laws face when she finds out the baby is named after a transvestitie.:D:D:D:D:D

THAT'S what the song is about????:eek: Must google the lyrics...

Sure, you can put the Patrick in as a second name or threaten to use an abbreviation that he hates like Patsy or Pa.....:D That might change his mind!

Two different friends of mine and my husband are named after their parents and there was a lot of confusion when they got older with post and official forms, but if you're expecting that, I suppose you could change the spelling, add an initial or use a middle name. My parents-in-law didn't and he still hates when stuff arrives with Jr on it - he's 32, makes him sound like a kid!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

deemark wrote: »

Sure, you can put the Patrick in as a second name or threaten to use an abbreviation that he hates like Patsy or Pa.....:D That might change his mind!

Two different friends of mine and my husband are named after their parents and there was a lot of confusion when they got older with post and official forms, but if you're expecting that, I suppose you could change the spelling, add an initial or use a middle name. My parents-in-law didn't and he still hates when stuff arrives with Jr on it - he's 32, makes him sound like a kid!

Do you prefer the Irish version any better - Padraig? Could be an idea while still continuing the name! :)

• Advertisement

You do have a say in what you call your son! Your the one who organised the birth cert.

If you hate the name then use it as a middle name it keep it in the family. I put my foot down there wasnt a hope in hell i was calling my boys after my in laws family and my husband knew it and never pushed it. He was surprised that i suggested putting his name as the second fellas middle name and was over the moon.

I think lola is lovely.

deemark wrote: »

Do you prefer the Irish version any better - Padraig? Could be an idea while still continuing the name! :)
    You do have a say in what you call your son! Your the one who organised the birth cert.

If you hate the name then use it as a middle name it keep it in the family. I put my foot down there wasnt a hope in hell i was calling my boys after my in laws family and my husband knew it and never pushed it. He was surprised that i suggested putting his name as the second fellas middle name and was over the moon.

I think lola is lovely.

Not a hope of anything else I'm afraid, we had this discussion 10 years and 2 years ago when our 2 daughters were born, not a chance of a variation either so Paddy, Pa, Padraig, Patsy etc all out! Will insist on my choice of second name though and call the child that:D:D, if it's a boy, although feeling it's a girl again so fingers crossed. My only hope is mother in law who thinks it's not fair on the child and will cause confusion for the postman! Must have another word in her ear next time I see her and she can set him straight:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

At least your Mother-in-Law appears to be able to see reason. My OH and I were talking about this phenomonem recently (not a problem for us as neither of our families have such a "tradition") and I remembered my Dad's comment on hearing that an acquaintance had given his son the same first name as he and his father had. (The poor guy has been known as "Joseph-Three-sticks" (Joseph III) since birth.) My Dad said "that family have no imagination". :)

It works on so many levels. Not just the boredom of all the males having the same name and the confusion at family events but also the lack of personal identity which can lead to all kinds of embarrassment and even to official mistakes... no family with imgination would put a kid through all of that.

Not a hope of anything else I'm afraid, we had this discussion 10 years and 2 years ago when our 2 daughters were born, not a chance of a variation either so Paddy, Pa, Padraig, Patsy etc all out! Will insist on my choice of second name though and call the child that:D:D, if it's a boy, although feeling it's a girl again so fingers crossed. My only hope is mother in law who thinks it's not fair on the child and will cause confusion for the postman! Must have another word in her ear next time I see her and she can set him straight:pac:

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

How many john paul's do i know aged between 31 and 32, too many! I blame it on the pope's visit.

I had my son around the time pope Benedict was made pope and i had a few people ask me if i names Ben after the pope, not a hope.

Yes, everyone I know born 1979 and 1980 has it at least in their name!!!

Nah, I like Ben as a name but I would not call my son it if it was around that time!

• Advertisement

Could be worse, my brother, my cousin and a few brothers of friends have Mary as their second name, something to do with marian years and holy mary back in the 60's. Caused much amusement at his wedding when the priest said aloud, " Do you Gerard Mary" , cue much sniggering from me and my other brother :D

Best of luck with it.

thanks, shouldn't be a problem, she loves me, although I can just about tolerate her!

Squiggler wrote: »
    At least your Mother-in-Law appears to be able to see reason. My OH and I were talking about this phenomonem recently (not a problem for us as neither of our families have such a "tradition") and I remembered my Dad's comment on hearing that an acquaintance had given his son the same first name as he and his father had. (The poor guy has been known as "Joseph-Three-sticks" (Joseph III) since birth.) My Dad said "that family have no imagination". :)

Patrick-three-sticks, now there's an idea Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Patrick-three-sticks, now there's an idea Lol!

Or, in your case Patrick I-vee? Could be amusing to see how the family will feel about that idea. :D

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Nah, I like Ben as a name but I would not call my son it if it was around that time!

Full name Benjamin not benedict, the ones one fare city called their boy ben around the same time too, must check the dates but i think i had ben before benedict was pope.

well **** it, he was pope in april ben was born in july. But i had ben picked out on xmas day and daddy only found out i was pregnant on x mas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

I recommend Brian.

Can't think of any unpopular Brians at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

I like sky and ruby for a girl and izack for a boy xD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

pinkyc wrote: »

Would you not just go with the usual spelling? Is it worth making things awkward for the kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

I think Isaac is a great name (reminds me of Sir Isaac Newton, not biblical at all) I tried pushing Isaac to my partner and her parents (to biblical to them). "iZac" or "iZaak" or "iZack" is a great twist though - like iRobot or iPad. But certainly not practical to live with.

Skye is also another name we had in running for a while. However the middle was going to be Gail - so Skye Gail was starting to sound like a winter weather report :D, so decided against it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Wooder79

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I asked her a few years ago and she said no, ah well...the beautiful Ellie is a character in herself and no one can compare to her.

I'm sure your friend was only joking when she said no. If not she's a total cow and you need to tell her that she doesn't own the name and you'll call your baby what you like! :p

Be warned though.....kids named Ellie tend to be little loopers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Wooder79 wrote: »
    I'm sure your friend was only joking when she said no. If not she's a total cow and you need to tell her that she doesn't own the name and you'll call your baby what you like! :p

Be warned though.....kids named Ellie tend to be little loopers.
    Are you sure that you do not mind! Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I always wander into this thread to see what names are being thrown around, even though it'll be a fair few years before I even dream of kids :o My mam had an opposite issue with the MIL regarding my brother's name. Poor child was Michael for about a week until Grandma said "No there are too many Michaels in the family". So, now we have John Michael. My aunt was told by her MIL "sure he's not Christened yet, you can still change the name". Cheek!

My personal favourites for girls are Odette, after Swan Lake, and I also love Anjelica, but wouldn't be a fan of the short versions - Ange, Angie. Even my own name Leah, I hate it being shortened to Lee.

For the lads, it would be Oliver and Frederick/Freddie/Fred after my granddad who I never met, but am told we are so alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I love Isaac, but oh not biting ;-( we are having a boy and this is the least decided we are on it of the three pgs. Tonight thought we had it nailed, Edward after Oh's dad and I said yeah and second name John after my dad; Edward John, ok, we can do that. Until my daugther(4) pointed out 'yeah John and Edward just like JEDWARD, lets call the baby Jedward!' back to the chalkboard.
    my other baby(2) decided the other day we should call the baby jesus. No idea why, as we are atheist so its not like we discuss jesus on a regular basis, or she has not heard the baby jesus story or anything. Then I realised that whenever the baby kicked hard or moved a lot I rubbed the bump and said 'jaysus, will you take it easy'.

So Isaac, Gene, Paul, Reuben is where we are at but both of us do not love the same ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

We called are we lad Emerson.. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

LucyLouLou, I hope you get around it! It's your baby, not your MIL's. And I agree, I wouldn't call my son Patrick either. If I had to, it'd be Patrick on his offical certs etc but he'd get Paddy all the time.

For a girl my names are Ella, Kate or Kimberly (one or the other - I wouldn't want two girls sounding like something out of a cartoon!) and Sophie. For boys I like Michael or Luke. James was my favourite but my OH is called James and there are Jameses in every generation of his family - sometimes more than once! His uncles Frank and John are in fact James Francis and James John, ha! So I wouldn't go for that now.

I'm not a fan of Irishy names, or at least, the ones I do like always end up having some part of them that turn me off them. Like, I love Síle, but I'd die if people thought from just hearing it and not seeing it written, that it was Sheila! Don't know why, they obviously sound the exact same but when I picture Síle in my head I see a gorgeous wee cailín, whereas Sheila makes me think of an Aussie chick in a crap soap! "Throw another dingo in the barbie Sheila!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

marylamb wrote: »
    We did love Emma but it so popular and don't want her to be one of four Emmas in her class. Does anyone think Sadhbh would be too hard on a kid living in the UK?

We're in the same boat, named our daughter Sadhbh last week and we're off to the UK in the new year. My wife's sister is currently over there and she has a 5 year old called Cathal. He came home from school one day saying he hated his name because nobody could pronounce it. I think with a bit of practice she shouldnt have any problems. I've been surprised with the amount of our friends who cant pronounce the name properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

I too am considering Cathal for a boy, and Erin for a girl. Any thoughts? I am due in 4 weeks and finding it really difficult to decide. Anyone I have said it to- has had no reaction really. I can't tell any more -what is nice or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have my names picked for either sex, is not like my son where I knew when we got a 3d scan (he looks exactly like his daddy :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I would advise Coleen for a girl or Wayne for a boy, very popular names at present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

keano_afc wrote: »
    We're in the same boat, named our daughter Sadhbh last week and we're off to the UK in the new year. My wife's sister is currently over there and she has a 5 year old called Cathal. He came home from school one day saying he hated his name because nobody could pronounce it. I think with a bit of practice she shouldnt have any problems. I've been surprised with the amount of our friends who cant pronounce the name properly.

As long as you get her used to people needing help with her name she'll be fine! My name is Síomha and the amount of problems I've had with the name! I grew up in Botswana which gave everyone a headache trying to work it out, not to mention the fada which people kept thinking was a T! And then when I moved to Ireland people still didn't get it! Even in the Gaeltacht! I wonder how many of you can even pronounce it! :P

But I love my name. I always get complimented on it once people work it out and I am proud of it's originality

Advertisement