Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all doomed! NASA "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Meh, I'm going to make dinner.

Meh, Im going to make some breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

My mistake it was russians illegal aliens they were talking too:o

ahh right, fixed that for there now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meh, Im going to make some breakfast.

Meh I have people to do that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

that'd be gas though wouldnt it...like a professor just goes "howiya everyone. i'd like to intoduce Nazzor...diplomatic envoy from the planet Exborg"....walks in massive grey headed beady eyed classic alien type...

If it's anything other than this then I will be hugely disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

its darth vader and he's pissed:eek:
    Full Metal Star Wars - Gunnery Sgt Vader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

Just NASA trying to justify their billion dollar budgets again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So it's something that creates matter out of nothing?
    Or is this something that already existed but 'moved' somewhere to a black hole and is now being reversed?

Forgive me for I know very little on these things but it all sounds pretty amazing, it's really going to get the god botherers going
    A black hole isn't actually a hole. It's an ultra-compact ball of mass that we cannot see because it is so massive that even light cannot escape it's gravity. It's so massive that it actually distorts spacetime.
    It appears to be a hole, because around the mass (an unknown distance) there is an undetectable surface which starts at the event horizon.

So nothing can exit from a black hole, but that doesn't fit into our understanding of physics - remember E=T+V, (conservation of energy) and with it conservation and/or invariance of mass.

Essentially in basic terms, if nothing can escape from a black hole, where does it go?
    One theory is an alternate or parallel universe. But what would it come out in?
    A white hole is, in theory, the exit of a black hole. Nothing can enter a white hole, only exit.

It is worth noting though that Stephen Hawking doesn't really think white holes exist. He says that the reverse of a black hole in thermal equilibrium is again a black hole in thermal equilibrium. Doesn't even make sense to me tbh.

Merzbow wrote: »
    The fact that they have to justify it really lowers my view on humanity :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Merzbow wrote: »

They better, I love Velcro, but what have they do for me lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Nealy had a heart attack, just heard on sky news real dramatically "breaking news", turns out its only that they have footage of the guy that threw the fire extinguisher...
    This is going to be the longest 30mins of my life!!!

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    A black hole isn't actually a hole. It's an ultra-compact ball of mass that we cannot see because it is so massive that even light cannot escape it's gravity. It's so massive that it actually distorts spacetime.
    It appears to be a hole, because around the mass (an unknown distance) there is an undetectable surface which starts at the event horizon.

So nothing can exit from a black hole, but that doesn't fit into our understanding of physics - remember E=T+V, (conservation of energy) and with it conservation and/or invariance of mass.

Essentially in basic terms, if nothing can escape from a black hole, where does it go?
    A white hole is, in theory, the exit of a black hole. Nothing can enter a white hole, only exit.

It is worth noting though that Stephen Hawking doesn't really think white holes exist. He says that the reverse of a black hole in thermal equilibrium is again a black hole in thermal equilibrium. Doesn't even make sense to me tbh.

last time i put something into a black hole it came out...

sorry

i'll be finishing work at 5.30 and i dont want to miss my train so i'm not going to be able to find out what the aliens even WANT until 7pm. f'ucks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

i'll be finishing work at 5.30 and i dont want to miss my train so i'm not going to be able to find out what the aliens even WANT until 7pm. f'ucks sake.
    Well if it is ALIENS I can tell you right now what they want, the same thing they always want, monies!

It seems unlikely though that it is ALIENS, they would have said "Illegal ALIEN found in our cosmic neighborhood".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Calibos wrote: »
    As for Betelguese going POP. Its far enough away that it presents no danger to us whatsoever.
    Not entirely true.......1979, Whiddy Island, if memory serves...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

OisinT wrote: »

So would it not just become part of the compact ball of mass and not go anywhere?

And surely if the white hole theory were true there would be some in our universe from another universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Protect the Queen!!

Which one's the Queen?

I am!

No you're not!!!

thisguy wrote: »
    So would it not just become part of the compact ball of mass and not go anywhere?

And surely if the white hole theory were true there would be some in our universe from another universe?
    Yeah, that's the idea basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

OMG they found water on Saturn

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/1337Cyndic2/Wateronsaturn.png

sorry but it did have to be done...

waits for other one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Nealy had a heart attack, just heard on sky news real dramatically "breaking news", turns out its only that they have footage of the guy that threw the fire extinguisher...
    This is going to be the longest 30mins of my life!!!

lmao.

Does laughing at other people's anxiety make me a terrible person? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

7 minutes to Aliens and counting,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ugh, so been on the stream all day. just accidentally clicked refresh. cant reconnect. FML

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

//Puts on crash helmet

*rapidly adjusting tin foil hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Somebody on this forum better get a damn connection or, else....

I am going elsewhere for my alien knowledge.

i got t minus 3 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

/Connected and primed for mothership decloaking

I'm watching now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

"Youngest nearby blackhole"

The end.

"NASA's Chandra Finds Youngest Black Hole"

I am disappoint