Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The problem in South Galway is that no arterial drainage work has been done in years. I would think the last major Arterial drainage work in Galway was that done on the Clare river in the 1950's! It also doesn't help that one off housing has been allowed on land that has been known to flood in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was going to take a spin down to Limerick this morning; I wanted to drive on the new section of M18 and the Limerick Tunnel which I haven't been in yet. Woke up to find my car with a flat tyre.............:(

Hopefully next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

On the flooding issue, there is one section just off the Gort-Crusheen motorway where it has major flooding. The area I'm referring to is beside the asphalt plant or the Gort-Tubber local rd overbridge. If you look at it on your left driving northbound you should see some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

conse wrote: »
    I'm going to dublin airport during the week from Ennis, should I go back into Gort and on to Loughrea to catch the motorway or go on to Oranmore or turn off at Ardrahan and go towards Craughwell, where would I get on the motorway if I went this way? Has anyone any ideas on which is the best route?
    I woud like to hear some ideas for this also as I head from Lucan to Ennis some Fridays. Maybe this should be a new thread?
    Personally I'd be more inclined to head by Limerick M/N 7 route as I dislike the Gort-Loughrea road (i imagine there is a lot of surface water round there these days?)if going from Ennis to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The X51 bus service will now be going directly from Galway-Limerick. Cant wait to see what time it will take on the bus now.
    I refer to your email of the 2nd November 2010 regarding our X51 service Limerick to Galway.
    Please note, when the new Gort bypass is opened all our X51 services will be travelling direct to/from Galway/Limerick.
    Gort will then only be served by our table 51 service.
    Trusting this clarifies our position.
    Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Will this consign the Western Rail Corridor to a ghost train?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

conse wrote: »
    I'm going to dublin airport during the week from Ennis, should I go back into Gort and on to Loughrea to catch the motorway or go on to Oranmore or turn off at Ardrahan and go towards Craughwell, where would I get on the motorway if I went this way? Has anyone any ideas on which is the best route?

Why not Limerick, through the Tunnel and onto the M7?

That's what I would do, and also that's what Google Maps seems to prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnnyeco

Henry St Limerick to Mill St in Galway 1hr 15 yesterday evening. The week before the same journey was 1 hr 45. The only thing I will miss is cheaper diesel in Gort.Great road and am looking forward to the next section. Thanks to all for the informative updates which I keenly watched from abroad before returning to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

johnnyeco wrote: »
    Henry St Limerick to Mill St in Galway 1hr 15 yesterday evening. The week before the same journey was 1 hr 45. The only thing I will miss is cheaper diesel in Gort.Great road and am looking forward to the next section. Thanks to all for the informative updates which I keenly watched from abroad before returning to Ireland.

And I don't doubt you. Great timing and with the express bus running limerick - Galway, we'll see value from this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How are the Citylink buses doing it now? Are they coming off at Crusheen to serve the Crusheen and Gort stops and using the old road from there on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Ihave seen one citylink go through but no bus eireann yet. Crusheen is so quite now, it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

glineli wrote: »
    Ihave seen one citylink go through but no bus eireann yet. Crusheen is so quite now, it's great

Saw the X51 earlier today on it:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That "Motorway Ends Ahead" one is weird. Is that junction a LILO? If so, its a pretty dangerous way to abruptly end a motorway. I guess it highlights the fact that this road was never meant to be a motorway in the first place.

johnnyeco wrote: »
    Garda station to Garda station? Using your blue lights doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnnyeco

Garda station to Garda station? Using your blue lights doesn't count.
    Good one.live and work beside stations which I suppose is a good thing. Separately am curious why bus eireann don't run their express bus earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Imagineer

Dock Road interchange to Galway Clinic last night in 53 mins. I'll happily believe Henry St. to Mill St in 1 hr 15 mins ex. blues and twos. That'll never happen again with the advent of speed cameras...sorry safety cameras.

Fantastic piece of infra structure. Southbound, the Crusheen to Ennis section really is a poor surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

will check out the crusheen to ennis bit today, how can it be signed off 8 months early if the road surface is not up to scratch??? Does not make sense and they finished 8 months ahead of schedule but if they did a crap job its easy to finish early, oops could be trouble on the way if we get a bad winter, that road may be closed for repairs sooner rather than later, lets hope not.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Travelled from Gort to Ennis on Saturday and its just a great piece of infrastructure - including the surface from Crusheen to Ennis!

Loads of road projects have come in ahead of schedule in the last few years and I haven't heard any complaints about the road surface on any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Travelled from Gort to Ennis on Saturday and its just a great piece of infrastructure - including the surface from Crusheen to Ennis!

I have to agree, i think the road surface is fine.

Its a great road to drive. Unlike some of the boring long straigth stretches in some motorways, this has some great bends espically nearer gort.

Roll on Gort to Tuam

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    will check out the crusheen to ennis bit today, how can it be signed off 8 months early if the road surface is not up to scratch??? Does not make sense and they finished 8 months ahead of schedule but if they did a crap job its easy to finish early, oops could be trouble on the way if we get a bad winter, that road may be closed for repairs sooner rather than later, lets hope not.

gb--

Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear, I meant by comparison to the new section. Its a much rougher surface and it seems to have a fair share of indentations, almost as if its sinking by minute amounts is patches. I found it quite bumpy on Fri. night in the fast lane for the first 3/4 km, from the tie in going south.

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Loads of road projects have come in ahead of schedule in the last few years and I haven't heard any complaints about the road surface on any of them.

I have to disagree there. When the section from the Clare Inn to Crusheen was opened I thought it was dreadful. Cats eyes were mounted for too high above the surface, giving a real jolt as you switch between lanes, the paint on the RHS began to crumble off almost immediately. It wasn't so much of a pleasure as the newest section. The tie in wasn't the neatest and the surface, I thought felt second rate. It has worn in a bit since but there is still a noticeable absence of cats eyes on RHS and reflectors on the central divide and paint on RHS is almost non existent for sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I certainly would not describe any section of motorway as "dreadful".
    Now the old N18 from Barefield to Gort that was "dreadful"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Just back from a quick run to Gort from Ennis and then on way back got off and on at Crusheen and I have to admit the bit between Crusheen and Barefield is not that good a road surface. The surface on the side going to Gort is simply amazing, very low road noise in fact whisper quiet. I ended up doing a lot more than speed limit but as road is so good you would not notice. And I love the bends too. I was however overtaken by a jag so that stretch of road lends itself to speed.

To be honest the bit from Crusheen to Ennis does not matter its just the sheer beauty of not ever having to go under that bridge at Crusheen again that fills my heart with great joy.

We should have a song soon ... from Gort to Crusheen on the new road is a dream, ah the joy of it.

gb--

GBCULLEN wrote: »

We should have a song soon ... from Gort to Crusheen on the new road is a dream, ah the joy of it.

gb--

From Gort to Crusheen on the new road is a dream.
    The smile on my face is a full beam...
    No more little Brazil or moon like craters.
    We'll fly from Limerick to Galway like aviators.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Was driving on the new stretch of M18 last night and it was a dream, the surface is very good. Though I almost always stick to 120 or even 110 in order to save fuel, I strongly believe they should increase the speed limit on stretches of motorway that are built to a good standard.

I'm not in favour of lifting it completely like on many parts of the Autobahn, mind you, as I find it much more relaxing driving when I know that no one is going to speed past me doing 300 km/h. To be more specific, I believe it would make sense to reduce the limit during rain to 110km/h, and increase it to 150km/h under normal conditions. Again, only if that particular stretch of motorway is built to a good safe standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vcorm

Imagineer wrote: »

I win 30 minutes on Friday evening coming back from limerick to Clarenbridge! and 15 minutes this morning.I get back 45 minutes a day i can start to go the gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Imagineer wrote: »
    No No NO NO NOOO, They are not called Moon craters not potholes or any of that markerky. Locally, They have officially declared ASL (Automatic Speed Limiters) and VST (Vehicles Shock Testers). They we especially designed by poor workmen Ahem, sorry, "dedicated workmen with special unique artistic skills".

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Anyone know how long it will take to go from Oranmore to Shannon airport now that the new road is open?
    Used to take me 1 hr off peak before it opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Anyone know how long it will take to go from Oranmore to Shannon airport now that the new road is open?
    Used to take me 1 hr off peak before it opened!
    47mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Furet wrote: »
    I drove it today.
    • The attenuation pond right at the Ennis Bypass tie-in (southbound) is right beside the carriageway and is a bit of a hazard in my opinion;

From looking at the crown of the overflow berm on the attenuation pond, the most it will contain is approx 300mm of water when full. This coupled with the fact that the floor of the pond is less than 2000mm from the finished road level, means it doesn't require barrier. I would guess this is why there is no crash barrier around the pond. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement