Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

No harm to see the end of having to go through Gort anyway. It was a lot of hassle sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

....and gort was consigned to history....

Hallelujah Oh Lord!!!!

I dont have to go to galway this evening but im so happy i think ill drive to the far side of gort and come back just for the hell of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Kinda sad though isnt it. After today (and next fortnight) there wont be any big road openings for quite a long time, leaving the politicians with very little to shout about (not sad about that, i just mean that it kinda sucks that the country is coming to such a grinding halt on what has been a fabulous few years to be a motorist)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

What stretch of road is opening in a fortnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 villacud

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Prob Nenagh to Borris in Ossary which is due to open very soon. Last of the big projects I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kinda sad though isnt it. After today (and next fortnight) there wont be any big road openings for quite a long time, leaving the politicians with very little to shout about

Yes you are right. Roads are the last of the boom investment, and the only real thing we have to show for it. Unlike a lot of the housing estates, these motorways are a meaningful springboard to future economic development, especially foreign direct investment.
    Benbecul97 wrote: »

Nenagh-Castletown. Limerick, Galway, and Dublin all linked by DC-way/motorway. Before the end of the year anyway we hope.

Just want to express my delight at the prospect of travelling on this new road today and express my deep gratitude to all you great posters who kept us informed here and uploaded photos. Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir.

Tháinig ár lá!!! Ar aghaidh linn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Roll on 4 o clock when i get to leave work and drive the new road. Its going to be great!!!!

Like Topper75 said, thanks to all the posters who kept us updated on the progress. I look forward to updates on the Gort - Tuam section :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

topper75 wrote: »

:p

Sincerly, Pedantic Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

the day is upon us. cant wait.be there later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Pleeeeeeeeeeease let it be open before 3! >_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

MYOB wrote: »

Mentioning OSM, I have a (one way) trace of the brand new Dunboyne Bypass on an etrex in my car if anyone can make anything usable of it? Doubt its on yet seeing as it opened last night!

Looks like it was mapped in.

http://osm.org/go/es99bePi-

If you have traces you can clean then up ( eg remove any unneeded bits or bits you want to remove for pricacy like the start and end of the trace to your front door) and upload them to openstreetmap.

You could also update the OSM thread saying you've uploaded the trace to get someones attention.

And if anyone could get a trace of new M18 that would be great too. Doesn't like like we have an active mappers there: http://osm.org/go/eseerLT--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Hotaru wrote: »
    Pleeeeeeeeeeease let it be open before 3! >_<

Is it not open yet? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

topper75 wrote: »
    :p

Sincerly, Pedantic Pat

Yes Pedantic Pat - "tháinig sé" = our day came. Don't see the issue?

Of course, if we are going down the pedantic route, this is not correct:

I was making a play on the well-worn phrase Tiocfaidh ár lá (our day will come) which is not proper Irish and is only Béarlachas invented by northern republicans. The correct Irish is Beidh ár lá againn, and then I would say Tá ár lá againn. But there is no joke in that. Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Yay drove up to galway this morning! Stuck behind a timber lorry the WHOLE way from Barefield to Oranmore!!!!
    :(
    At least it gave me a chance to SAY GOODBYE to all those evil bends and potholes!!!!!
    :D:D
    Role on 3PM!!!!! Its like Christmas getting to drive home tonight!!!!
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I drove up and down through Gort this morning for the first time in about a year :mad:, was listening to Clare FM and local Gort traders were saying they can't advertise their services along the route, yet a few miles down the road a hotel chain and fast food franchise have massive 40 foot advertisments on lorrys in the field roadside.

Whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Those advertisements are illegal. There used to be a lot of them in fields beside the M6 but Galway County Council forced the owners to remove them (however a couple still remain!). Hopefully Galway + Clare CCs will ensure illegal advertisement lorries beside the M18 will also be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭god_dos

Does anyone know if it actually opened? Leaving work in Limerick in 20 mins and want to take in the new views all the way to Gort, even though I'm only going to Crusheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

god_dos wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it actually opened? Leaving work in Limerick in 20 mins and want to take in the new views all the way to Gort, even though I'm only going to Crusheen.

Do you have a GPS device or a smartphone with one? We need a tracklog so we can get this on OpenStreetMap.

mackerski wrote: »
    Do you have a GPS device or a smartphone with one? We need a tracklog so we can get this on OpenStreetMap.

I have a HTC Desire. Don't know how to tracklog tho...

AA roadwatch are saying its open:
    "Last Updated: 12/11/2010 15:21:45

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *M18/GALWAY/CLARE* The new M18 Gort to Crusheen Bypass is now open to motorists. This section of the route is 23km in length and will bypass Gort, Co Galway and Crusheen, Co Clare"

• Advertisement

I have a HTC Desire. Don't know how to tracklog tho...
    Is it Android? Download "My Tracks Android" from the Android Market and use that application to record a track. It's really easy to use and you can export tracks in a number of different formats (including .gpx which is the format needed for OSM).

KevR wrote: »
    Is it Android? Download "My Tracks Android" from the Android Market and use that application to record a track. It's really easy to use and you can export tracks in a number of different formats (including .gpx which is the format needed for OSM).

yep. Its Android. I'll give it a go. Just found out I've to go to Crusheen on the way, but I'll do it anyway.

It's a free application by the way.

It's a free application by the way.

No worries. Installed now.

Ok. I'm home now and have tracked from along the M18 just before the new section to Crusheen. I can send on the .gpx, if you let me know where to send it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Ok. I'm home now and have tracked from along the M18 just before the new section to Crusheen. I can send on the .gpx, if you let me know where to send it.

PM sent - and thanks!

PM sent - and thanks!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Hi Guys,

Got a few photos of the opening ceremony. Was a bit of a walk from where I parked the car!

Started off here at the rathwilladoon overbridge, parking bay southbound
    DSC03541.jpg

DSC03542.jpg

DSC03544.jpg

M18 southbound signage

DSC03543.jpg

Passed the Gortavoher overbridge and at last saw the crowd

DSC03547.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03549.jpg

Pictures from the opening ceremony

DSC03559.jpg

DSC03560.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

DSC03551.jpg

DSC03553.jpg

DSC03555.jpg

DSC03556.jpg

DSC03557.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

PM sent - and thanks!

Must resist loading Openstreetmap and hitting F5 over and over ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

dubhthach wrote: »
    Must resist loading Openstreetmap and hitting F5 over and over ... ;)

Trace is up as far as crusheen :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement