Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Who is going to Gort from Dublin? :-)

I passed the junction at Gort today and the ramps at the Lilo end are lined. Signs going up all over the place as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I didn't find the answer to this, so I am sorry if it has already been asked:

When will I be able to drive from Galway to Limerick without leaving the motorway/dual carriageway (I know the last bit coming into Limerick will remain dual carriageway forever)?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

2014 - presuming that the entire 58km Gort-Tuam section will be opened on the same day rather than in 2 sections Gort-Oranmore first and then Oranmore-Tuam second. But I would imagine that it will all be opened together.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    When will I be able to drive from Galway to Limerick without leaving the motorway/dual carriageway (I know the last bit coming into Limerick will remain dual carriageway forever)?

By the end of 2014. the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam PPP Motorway will begin construction in Jan 2011 by BAM Balfour Beatty Consortium.

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17301,en.html

With BAM behind the project it may well be finished early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

tech2 wrote: »
    Its 1hr 30 mins with the X51 now and thats including stops at oranmore and gort. I think a new bus stop should be put near the roundabout at gort to prevent time lost from driving in and out of the town back to the junction again. It could be 1hr 10 min then surely?

West on Track would love that :D
    lukejr wrote: »
    By the end of 2014. the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam PPP Motorway will begin construction in Jan 2011 by BAM Balfour Beatty Consortium.

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17301,en.html

With BAM behind the project it may well be finished early.

I guess this is now the death knell of the WRC :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who is going to Gort from Dublin? :-)

Me! lots of customers there, was at one today in fact...

Will love to see the back of the N65 but I still think it'll be quicker than heading to fecking Limerick and back up.

MYOB wrote: »

Will love to see the back of the N65 but I still think it'll be quicker than heading to fecking Limerick and back up.

Yeah probably still would be but the drive would be a lot easier on the N7/M7/N18/M18. Distance wise must be a lot longer as well using the Limerick Tunnel.

Oh got a email from the NRA saying it will definately open 12th November. Only 10 more days through Gort. Might take the day off work for the opening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Me to! Often drive Limerick to Galway then back down to Limerick and onto the South East! I cant wait for it to be all done! It will be the Sunny Gort then not the Sunny South East!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Curious to know what u do now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Roryhy wrote: »
    Curious to know what u do now?

Medical IT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any sign of fencing going up on the N17/N18 Route, that contract has been awarded as I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any sign of fencing going up on the N17/N18 Route, that contract has been awarded as I understand.

...well that would be great news, but what makes you think that?

I was always aware of a preferred tender outcome, but never heard anything in relation to pen on paper - if the ink is drying on the contract documents, then it's all systems go!

I hold my breath... :pac:

PS: I've been searching for news of a contract signing for the N17/N18 since I posted the above, but have found nothing that suggests that pen has gone to paper. The BAM/Balfour Beatty consortium have been confirmed as the preferred bidder recently, but there's still no contract signed as far as I can make out.

Fencing contract is unlikely to be part of the PPP, its generally unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Some fencing has been up on the Oranmore - Gort section for about 18 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Fencing contract is unlikely to be part of the PPP, its generally unrelated.

...oh, Sponge Bob must have been talking about the fencing contract then! :o

The main PPP contract is nearing the closing stages as far as I'm aware, though I wonder if the consortium will hold off until after the budget... :pac:

...we'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vcorm

hi all, you don't know me! but is now one and half year I read all you comments, now the road will be open, "on the day of my birthday 12/11".I drive from Clarenbridge to Castletroy limerick 5 days a week and that road will change my live.and somehow I will miss to read you all.Thanks you to all of you, the pictures, the updates....

vcorm wrote: »
    hi all, you don't know me! but is now one and half year I read all you comments, now the road will be open, "on the day of my birthday 12/11".I drive from Clarenbridge to Castletroy limerick 5 days a week and that road will change my live.and somehow I will miss to read you all.Thanks you to all of you, the pictures, the updates....

We shall continue on when the Gort-Tuam scheme starts! ;)

I promise more photos before opening or during it(ceremony). Cant wait to bypass Gort, most anticipated opening of any road for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Cant wait to bypass Gort, most anticipated opening of any road for me anyway!

Same here, travelling from Kinvara to Ennis everyday. Bye Bye Crusheen, bye Mr Tractorman, doing 5 mph all the form Crusheen to Gort, bye, bye to all the potholes in Gort......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Same here, travelling from Kinvara to Ennis everyday. Bye Bye Crusheen, bye Mr Tractorman, doing 5 mph all the form Crusheen to Gort, bye, bye to all the potholes in Gort......

I go from Crusheen to Galway everyday, its a nightmare alright. Gort has just got a lot worse and i hate to think of the state of that road after the winter months. They are still digging it up. Has to be by far the worst road in the country.

I will hopefully save 10 mins or so, but i will be on a lovely motorway, ahhh the thoughts of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

glineli wrote: »
    I will hopefulyl save 10 mins or so, but i will be on a lovely motorway, ahhh the thoughts of it!!

8 Days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The ould divil in the 40mph red van waited for me (I assume at this stage that he waits for me) this morning as I left the Ennis bypass. He duly operated point on his convey to the other side of Crusheen somewhere. I don't mind so much anymore as he can go up and down there all day at that speed in 8 days and I won't even remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

It would make a lot of sense to open the next bit in 2 stages, ie gort oranmore and then tuam but as that is too sensible it wont happen!!

Gort will no doubt re-surface that god awful road now as the traficc congestion will be zilch. Have been driving through Gort for years and often on the radio I would hear talk of the Celtic Tiger, loads of money etc, it never reached Gort.

I'll miss it for a while, about 2 mins flat.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

i drive galway to limerick everyday, im pretty sure im going to start crying as soon as i get onto that motorway,

itll save so many accidents too, that crusheen gort stretch is a safety nightmare.

ROLL ON THE 12TH!!!

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    It would make a lot of sense to open the next bit in 2 stages, ie gort oranmore and then tuam but as that is too sensible it wont happen!!

gb--

That would make an awful lot of sense so defo wont happen. Shame though as you could have Galway to Limerick linked by motorway in the next 2 years!!

For anyone driving north of Galway it will force people back onto the original road. I think it could all be open in 2 years if they hit the ground running next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

GBCULLEN wrote: »

Gort will no doubt re-surface that god awful road now as the traficc congestion will be zilch. Have been driving through Gort for years and often on the radio I would hear talk of the Celtic Tiger, loads of money etc, it never reached Gort.

They will resurface; I think they delayed it due to all the construction traffic, the fact that it would have caused chaos, and that it did really work better than any traffic calming I've ever seen.

I'm tempted to drive from Dublin for a blast on this new section, I spent so many hours stopped in Gort back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ha ha! If you wait Chris for Nenagh-Castletown, you could do a grand tour of the nation! - using only about 16/17 miles of single carriageway road.

You'd be hit with 4 tolls mind you, not to speak of fuel.

Any idea what time the road will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mean mr mustard

Hi All,

Regularly make the trip from Roscommon to Limerick.. usually go the midlands way, via Borrisokane.... but with this brand new M18 I might look at Athlone - Loughrea - Gort - Limerick....

My question is - how do I get onto the M18 when approaching from Loughrea? Do I still have to head into Gort? If someone could point me towards a map with the new road and junctions etc, I'd be grateful! Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi All,

Regularly make the trip from Roscommon to Limerick.. usually go the midlands way, via Borrisokane.... but with this brand new M18 I might look at Athlone - Loughrea - Gort - Limerick....

My question is - how do I get onto the M18 when approaching from Loughrea? Do I still have to head into Gort? If someone could point me towards a map with the new road and junctions etc, I'd be grateful! Thanks..

Not to be Facitious (I think thats the spelling) but there are some good posts here about this and I think on the M6 post. Try searching the thread for Loughrea.

My understanding is that you will still have to come into Gort on the N66. (As the motorway bypassess to the south of Gort.) When you enter Gort you can either turn right pass through the town centre onto the existing N18 and join the Motorway West of Gort. Or turn left taking the existing N18 through Crusheen and joining here.
    I would recommend trying both routes as the opening of the M7 Nenagh to Limerick will also save you time. (Though again this bypassess to the South of Nenagh. It know takes me about 30min from Limerick to Nenagh)

Up untill three months ago I use to drive Dooradoyle, Limerick to Rosscommon quite a bit. I found very little time difference but preffered driving Gort-Loughrea in the dark than Nenagh-Athlone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement