Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Will this consign the Western Rail Corridor to a ghost train?

With any luck. They might put the 2600s back in Dublin where they're needed and would be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

sdonn wrote: »
    With any luck. They might put the 2600s back in Dublin where they're needed and would be filled.

If they ran the trains at the right times they might be used more - the earliest train gets into Galway city at 8.25. Most factories start their day shifts at 8am, meaning that this is not an option. As it is this can only be used by people working in the city center or doing shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

sdonn wrote: »

If they ran the 2600's on the WRC then maybe :p: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If they ran the 2600's on the WRC then maybe :p: :rolleyes:

Ah go awy Colm you know what I mean! What are they, 2700/2800? The weird-looking refurbished yokes arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

I know I'm ungrateful but I'll ask anyway...

what are the chances the Gort to Tuam section will survive the cuts and proceed next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

This new bit of road is BLISS!!!! :D:D:D
    Especially when added to the Limerick Tunnel!!!
    Dooradoyle to Oranmore roundabout, 1 hour this morning!!!!!
    Cant wait for the Gort to Galway section!!! AND the Galway outer Bypass!!!!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

kiwipower wrote: »
    Cant wait for the Gort to Galway section!!!

Just to be clear - there won't be such a road - it will be Gort to Athenry, but then you can travel in the M6 to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

topper75 wrote: »
    Just to be clear - there won't be such a road - it will be Gort to Athenry, but then you can travel in the M6 to Galway.

Hopefully there will be a Gort to Tuam, fingers crossed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Travel Limerick-Galway in Just 80 Minutes with High Frequency X51 Express Service from Bus Éireann

Bus Éireann’s high frequency X51 Express service between Limerick and Galway has just got even quicker with the opening of the Crusheen to Gort Motorway. From Monday 22nd November 2010, X51 services will use the Motorway and Gort by-pass to further cut journey times between the two cities to only 80 minutes each way.

The X51 Limerick-Galway provides the fastest coach connection between Limerick and Galway and some services will also operate to and from UL.

“There has already been great customer reaction to the X51 and the further cut in travelling time makes the X51 the ideal way to travel between Limerick and Galway. We would hope that these new services will help promote Limerick as a great destination to visit for business, shopping, days out or study,” said Miriam Flynn, Regional Manager, South West, Bus Éireann.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

The upgrading of the Limerick-Galway road makes me wonder about the viability of Carnmore airport in Galway.
    From Galway city, how long would it take to get to Shannon now? 50 mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

fresca wrote: »
    The upgrading of the Limerick-Galway road makes me wonder about the viability of Carnmore airport in Galway.

Prob an hour, max. There is a piece in the Galway Independent about the viability of the airport due to cuts in the grants it was getting.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/severe-threat-to-galway-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

fresca wrote: »

I haven't used Shannon in ages. Poor selection of flights in/out of Shannon these days since Ryanair cut a lot of their flights and it's not that easy to get to via public tranport anymore (since City Link cut their Shannon service). Dublin Airport is by far the best option from Galway at the moment. It has the best selection/frequency of flights and has excellent public transport options; it's not a bad drive either (I even think parking is now cheaper in Dublin than Shannon if you book in advance??).
    If you're driving and Shannon happens to have flights that suit you then it's a good option from Galway.

I know Ryanair have announced that they are cutting flights in Dublin again but Dublin still has a much better selection of flights than anywhere else. So Dublin is Galway Airport's biggest 'threat' at the moment. I'd like to think that many flights would be restarted from Shannon if the goverment travel tax was scrapped. No doubt City Link would restart their Galway-Shannon service if there were more flights from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Problem with Galway airport is that the runway isnt long enough to handle jets (except small ones).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've a feeling that the new motorways will represent the death knell for Galway Airport and other regional airfields.

Also surely those grants used to prop up Galway airport will be among the first things to get the chop under the IMF's slash and burn policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've a feeling that the new motorways will represent the death knell for Galway Airport and other regional airfields.

Also surely those grants used to prop up Galway airport will be among the first things to get the chop under the IMF's slash and burn policy?

The motorways represent the death knell for a lot of things in Ireland as its a small sparsely populated island. The M18/17 to Tuam will destroy the WRC, but I still think that the WRC to Tuam will be built. This will represent the absolute madness that I have alluded to for years. Watch this space, the Martians are coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

DWCommuter wrote: »
    but I still think that the WRC to Tuam will be built.

TBH the money would be better spent contributing to double-tracking Galway-Athenry and providing stations at Renmore and Oranmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Time to close this thread, methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement