Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

gbee wrote: »
    Well, to fill you in this happened. Met Éireann issued an incorrect media alert on Friday Evening. The media grabbed it, copied and filed it and they ALL went home.

Met Éireann soon posted the CORRECT information but no one got the update.

Tomas is 3,000 miles away, we may see some action from the system that was Tomas in a week or ten days.

Aye, said that and it got through. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well, to fill you in this happened. Met Éireann issued an incorrect media alert on Friday Evening. The media grabbed it, copied and filed it and they ALL went home.

Met Éireann soon posted the CORRECT information but no one got the update.

Tomas is 3,000 mile away, we may see one action from the system that was Tomas in a week or ten days.

Sorry, could someone post a link to where ME are alleged to have made that incorrect statement. Friday morning the media were already mentioning the "H" word, not Friday evening.

Who from ME said it was a hurricane, and to whom?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind definitely picking up again here, just had a 40km/h gust with sustained 22km/h. Rain lashing down 15.5mm since 6pm, pressure 978.4mb

Live Stats: www.waterfordcityweather.com

Very windy in Arklow,lashing rain since about 630pm
    Temp around 5c.Wet snow high in the wicklow mtns woudn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Mister men wrote: »
    Does'nt seem that bad where i am? Dublin 14

savagely windy for me, near The Goat. Was hammering rain earlier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's on nights like these that you find out where the leaks are in your garage roof! :rolleyes:

Has the wife kicked you out again Su? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Met Éireann soon posted the CORRECT information but no one wanted to change it because that wouldn't sell papers and they can just blame met eireann for wrong information.

Tomas is 3,000 miles away, we may see some action from the system that was Tomas in a week or ten days.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Is it over? Totally calm here in South Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

Very very wild in Rathfarnham Dublin. Garden furniture all over the place. Very heavy rain too.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Has the wife kicked you out again Su? :D

:D

She said "you like-a the weather so much, you go-a sleep een eet!"

She'd rather be back home in Italia tonight.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pretty windy everywhere atm.Each station on met.ie reported a gust of some sort in the 2200 reports with Malin topping at 61kts and 971 hpa with Light sleet being reported in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

anyone know what the sea is like around Dublin? Any nice big waves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

SWho from ME said it was a hurricane, and to whom?

It should be near the beginning of one of these threads, I'm not going looking for it now, far too many posts.

I'm sure you saw the post yourself, someone copied the ME warning and posted it, as soon as other posters followed the link, the reference to Tomas was already gone.

The original post showing what ME issued is still in one of the three threads on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

jessie37 wrote: »

Was all calm big shower now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Very windy now in Dublin 3, would love to see the seafront, I dare not venture out though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Not a hurricane, a tornado!

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

its less than 20 hours since i last looked at this thread and in that time there are an additional 40 pages!!!! wow :eek: nice one. anyone got cliff notes???

The system should have reached its lowest pressure about now, around 956hPa. From now on it should remain steady, then very slowly start to fill overnight, sitting over us at around 961hPa tomorrow afternoon, moving southeastwards.

101107_1200_30.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Sorry, could someone post a link to where ME are alleged to have made that incorrect statement. Friday morning the media were already mentioning the "H" word, not Friday evening.

Who from ME said it was a hurricane, and to whom?

I copied this, verbatum from the RTE website and posted it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080737

They changed it a short time after I made the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

jessie37 wrote: »

No, the centre of the trough is probably gliding over your area, as it should most of the island, as it passes away again in a few hours more wind will and rain should resume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Have another boring clip of the shower that past there at about 9:45, taken again against the backdrop the streetlight in our estate :D

theres also an arrival flight to Cork Airport at around the 6:20 mark, i'd say it was a rough approach for them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Unmerciful crash..... 40ltr bottle bin has just keeled over ...........

16mm rain since 7pm - pressure 977..... Gale 66km

Whats still to come over here ?? South dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Vain wrote: »
    Was all calm big shower now tho.

Yes, shower here now too but not very windy though. Is the worst of it over for us, I wonder :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

completely calm here now, with just light rain. it was fierce raw earlier due to the wind. i pity any person who has to be out working in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

not much to report here. just the odd guest at 30mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Wexford is bad now New ross flooded very windy house shaking ahhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Must be rough out at sea Stena nordica was due to go to Holyhead and has now changed her mind http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

Also 3 more ferries are behind her just out of Dublin probably hope to ride out the storm in the Irish sea until Holyhead lets them in.

Milan

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Please don't mention t o r n a d o or h u r r i c a n e - the pooch is windy enough already :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Absolutely lashing here, I am right under the big pink blob on the radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Unmerciful crash..... 40ltr bottle bin has just keeled over ...........

16mm rain since 7pm - pressure 977..... Gale 66km

Whats still to come over here ?? South dublin

Im gettin just a breeze up here in North Dublin, its quite a boring nite, wish i was up in the mountains ha :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement