Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students will be forced to pay 2,500 reg fees (Indo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

gurramok wrote: »
    The outrage that students have to pay for their own education!:rolleyes:
    You clearly have a problem with people getting free education.
    No. I was a poor student who did not have to pay fees as thats how the system is set up to help people like me who are intelligent(:D) to get into college without having a cost barrier.

They are poor though and thats how the system is set up.
    A student loan system should be setup in the absence of middle class families not paying their way.
    Of course he kindly forgot about the 65,000 non-criminals who get free education.:mad:
    No, people like me who are intelligent and poor. The barrier of cost was removed and there was a level playing field on entry into college with equally intelligent students who had to pay fees. No-one was stupid.
    how hard is that when its affordable to the families who can pay?:confused:

It was a very odd post that the poster posted, free education for the underprivileged should not be touched as I believe in equal opportunities without a barrier of cost preventing intelligent poor kids reaching their potential.

You have a very odd personality, you love ranting on about being poor, you gloat about getting in for free to college then you moan that middle class people should pay so scroungers like yourself can get a free ride.

The only equal opportunity you seem to be interested in is everyone else should pay for you. All your posts contradict each other in some way :P

Dear child, please grow up and stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Mark200 wrote: »
    The thing is that even if 20% of graduates emigrate to avoid repaying their loans, that still means the Government are making an 80% saving on college fees.

Oh, I'm not arguing against fees; I think it was foolish to abolish them in the first place. I think you are right in theory, but I know that the EU is pushing for more convergence among universities (so people's qualifications are portable) so it would make sense to also coordinate on student loan debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Boo Hoo students.

Get a job you freeloading cants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Oh, I'm not arguing against fees; I think it was foolish to abolish them in the first place. I think you are right in theory, but I know that the EU is pushing for more convergence among universities (so people's qualifications are portable) so it would make sense to also coordinate on student loan debt.
    Of course that suits their super-state agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

ILA wrote: »
    Of course that suits their super-state agenda.

I am generally a Euro-sceptic, but it does not make sense to have an open labor market without some kind of mechanism for handing 1) recognition of qualifications and 2) transfers of financial obligations. They've coordinated somewhat on welfare payments, why not in these other areas?

In addition, if there was some kind of accreditation transfer mechanism, Irish universities could really benefit, since there is such a premium put on English. If universities set up professional masters programs that were more open to international students, and those students knew that they could take their degrees elsewhere, then their higher fees could help subsidize more Irish students. A lot of US universities do this - the PhD students (i.e. the ones who do the research) don't pay a cent, and the undergraduates are heavily subsidized (and limit the number of international students), but the Masters programs charge a fortune, and that helps subsidize everyone else.

• Advertisement

I would be opposed anything that allows loans to follow people from one state to another. However, the suggestion does have some merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You have a very odd personality, you love ranting on about being poor, you gloat about getting in for free to college then you moan that middle class people should pay so scroungers like yourself can get a free ride.

The only equal opportunity you seem to be interested in is everyone else should pay for you. All your posts contradict each other in some way :P

Oh dear, I asked you a question on your solution for paying fees and this is what you spout?

How is a poor student a scrounger then? Nice way to label 65,000 students as scroungers :eek:

How is a poor student a scrounger then? Nice way to label 65,000 students as scroungers :eek:
    I personally reckon a large amount of grant (ie: so-called poor and destitute scobes) receivers are scroungers and the reason why the third level sector is claiming funding difficulties.

College has been the best cure for my lefty view on the world. I'm steadily moving to the right of Hitler and the Left of Genghis Khan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Even if I succesfully get my grant application accepted for next year, they won't cover €3000 or €2500 or whatever they want to increase it to. I worked full-time for this summer to give myself some money as a backup for the year, working full-time next summer wont net me the €2500 or €3000 I'll need. I'll have to drop out of college.

Eh?
    I thought the grant paid the reg fee. Pretty sure it did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Put it like this, if you think having a college eduction will make you financially better off (in say, 15 years time) than the majority of people who don't, then pay for the privilege.

If you don't - or you don't think it's worth it - then just don't go to college.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

orourkeda wrote: »
    Boo Hoo students.

The idea is to get an education, acquire skills, and get a job.

stovelid wrote: »
    Put it like this, if you think having a college eduction will make you financially better off (in say, 15 years time) than the majority of people who don't, then pay for the privilege.

If you don't - or you don't think it's worth it - then just don't go to college.
    They will pay for it when they pay income tax when they're working in jobs after they graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eh?
    I thought the grant paid the reg fee. Pretty sure it did...
    Went in to ask the VEC about it already, they said it was already debated on whether or not they would cover the €1500 when it was previously increased. Now that its going up again I was told they wont cover the full €3000, half of it at most given that the grant is also going to be cut in the budget. Woman I spoke to in there was pretty helpful but couldn't give me a definite figure on what they would cover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Went in to ask the VEC about it already, they said it was already debated on whether or not they would cover the €1500 when it was previously increased. Now that its going up again I was told they wont cover the full €3000, half of it at most given that the grant is also going to be cut in the budget. Woman I spoke to in there was pretty helpful but couldn't give me a definite figure on what they would cover.

Oh I see, I had just found this table too:
    Income Limits for Standard Grant - 2010

No of Dependent Children 100% Main & Full Registration Fees 75% Main & Full Registration Fees 50% Main & Full Registration Fees 25% Main & Full Registration Fees Part Tuition Fees 50% for Post Grad Courses only and Full Registration Fees **
    Less than 4 €41,110 €42,235 €44,720 €47,205 €51,380
    4 - 7 €45,165 €46,415 €49,145 €51,880 €56,460
    8 or more €49,045 €50,400 €53,360 €56,320 €61,295

Yuck it's lost its formatting
    oh well, fingers crossed for you

lol I just saw:
    Be at least 17 years of age on or before 1st January 2010 and in the case of the Post Leaving Cert Scheme be at least 16 years of age on commencement of the course - LONG ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATES FOR STUDENTS MUST BE SUPPLIED
    Don't think they enforced that one too strictly

flash1080 wrote: »
    They will pay for it when they pay income tax when they're working in jobs after they graduate.

I wasn't aware that only college graduates pay income tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally, I think this is awful.
    I am currently getting no grant and work 4 days a week in order to sustain my rent and food, barely getting by.
    €1000 euro would add up to 6 or 7 weeks of money used for these things.

Not everyone gets a grant.

I also find it rather amusing that there are probably people on here who got free college education, yet seem to be all for raising fees...
    Sure it's grand, you already got your "free" college education...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Oh dear, I asked you a question on your solution for paying fees and this is what you spout?

Child, I do not wish to talk to you further on this thread, everything up to now has been trolling and despite many posters pointing out the obvious errors in your posts, you continue trolling.

All the best!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I didn't say that only college graduates pay income tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Child, I do not wish to talk to you further on this thread, everything up to now has been trolling and despite many posters pointing out the obvious errors in your posts, you continue trolling.

All the best!

Many posters?:rolleyes: Maybe your trolling by refusing to debate questions and calling names to anyone who got free education.?

So you can offer no solution to the fees problem other than to call 65,000 students scroungers(including myself), brilliant.

flash1080 wrote: »
    I didn't say that only college graduates pay income tax.

While I hate the commonly held notion on here that income tax is like deployable income (as in I pay my taxes and don't want them used for A and B), I think third-level education is a tricky one.

If you get a college eduction, you have a far better chance of getting a decent job and subsequently, a life of non-poverty and opportunity - fr you and your children.

As the way to college (for many reasons) if blocked (or at least far, far more difficult) for many people in society and that college does confer considerable privilege and opportunity: as well as a broadened mind and personal enjoyment, I would tend to agree that college should be means-tested and privately funded by those who can pay (without bleating about being cash-strapped because of high mortgages and other elective lifestyle choices) and a decent grant system provided to help those unable to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh well, it's now a rubber stamped fact that I would be doing the 4th year add on even if I wanted to.
    Hope I find a job so I can finally be independent and let my parents put my sister through her next 2/3 years in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

People who can't afford this registration fee are more than likely receiving the grant anyway and therefore won't have to pay it. The only people I'd feel sorry for really are those who are just above the cut-off point for the grant; an extra €1000 per year won't be easy for some.

But at the end of the day, money has to come from somewhere. It's unfortunate, but if it'll go some way to fixing the economy (I'm skeptical about that, but let's say for now that it will) then it's a necessary evil.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

All the best!
    Many posters?:rolleyes: Maybe your trolling by refusing to debate questions and calling names to anyone who got free education.?
    Can we please get back to topic and leave out the accusations of trolling, childishness etc. from here on out thanks folks.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Boo Hoo students.

lol what jobs? they will emigrate for work and now for college.
    In UK they will get their fees paid and might actually have a chance at getting a part time job to support themselves.

Meanwhile Ireland will get poorer and poorer. Bit by bit we remove each possible flicker of hope for a recovery. Good luck with a recovery this decade without graduates. We already have enough apprentices.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10006756.shtml
    1 in 8 were construction workers or are now unemployed construction workers. We need to retrain these people. They need to become graduates.

If we have better skills here we stand a chance at investment and that means a better economy for everyone hence the argument that society benefits from graduates and both graduates & society should pay their share of the costs involved. The benefits are already shared.

But at the end of the day, money has to come from somewhere. It's unfortunate, but if it'll go some way to fixing the economy (I'm skeptical about that, but let's say for now that it will) then it's a necessary evil.
    God I hate this attitude. "Ah sure, we may get up, dust ourselves off and carry on" after being deliberately guided into a cement wall.

I didn't cause this situation. I'm sick of a (perhaps even an entire form of) government that doesn't represent my interests, dictating how much people should pay for education, petrol, alcohol, etc. and the alternatives in our current system are no different and equally unrepresentative ,whether Fine Gael, Labour, Green or Independent, and always will be.

There is also the fact that a large majority of people who don't go to college do an apprenticeship which they spend a large amount of time in fas getting paid, having their accommodation paid etc. So that's another large chunk of society who are being very hippocratical if they call for fees to be re-introduced as the money they received is no different than that paid in fees except they get it into their hands.

Overall taking college graduates and trades people and others that have received government grants/funding that leaves quite a small percentage of society who can actually complain about some of their tax money going towards college fees and the majority of these people are just bitter and cant comprehend that the percentage of their tax which goes towards fees is tiny in comparison with all the other things funded by tax payers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Make them pay if it means better standards. I'd gladly pay to go to college if it meant getting an excellent education. Irish third level facilities/lecturers/opportunities are mediocre at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

This is just screwing over the middle class yet again, with the lower class being exempt, and the upper class either a) misdeclaring their own income and being exempt, or b) having enough money not to care about the increase.

The middle class families are the ones contributing the most and the only ones who can really save the economy, by being in employment, paying the most tax and not receiving a cent from the state. No medical cards, no rent allowance, no jobseekers allowance, nothing. Contributing tens of thousands to the economy through PAYE, PRSI, VAT, etc. But sure lets f**k them over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fees definitely should be reintroduced I think - but (in an ideal world) with a means testing scale comprising far more layers than last time around. I think the point "Education is a right" is moot. Primary and secondary education are, but not third level, seeing as it's not essential for/not availed of by many, whereas the first two are. Third level institutions are haemorrhaging money as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

And away they all go to Dublin tomorrow to protest about it. As a student myself it will be a bit of a pain. But I agree with them coming back in.

The best thing is, those going up tomorrow are all just getting drunk and marching through Dublin. Can't wait to see the media slaughter us for the lads going ALL the way up to Dublin to get drunk, take the day off college, and make a fool of us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dudess wrote: »
    Fees definitely should be reintroduced I think - but (in an ideal world) with a means testing scale comprising far more layers than last time around. I think the point "Education is a right" is moot. Primary and secondary education are, but not third level, seeing as it's not essential for/not availed of by many, whereas the first two are. Third level institutions are haemorrhaging money as it is.

Is second level essential? Perhaps up to the age of 16, after that I'm not so sure.

I wonder how many of the opponents of this potential increase went to private secondary schools?

Advertisement