Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students will be forced to pay 2,500 reg fees (Indo)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dudess wrote: »
    Exactly. Fees would make people less likely to go to college solely for a three/four-year piss-up.

Not for everyone, no. Who has done better for themselves - a person who trained as an electrician and has a secure job with the ESB, or a person with an arts degree working in a call centre?

Yeah students go to lectures to cure hangovers.

The ESB applies strange incesstuous selection criteria when it comes to hiring sparkies. Not many opps there otherwise plenty of unemployed sparkies out there re-training.

Permanent and pensionable = security? = hum drum!

Grads have more opps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah students go to lectures to cure hangovers.
    Are you suggesting students don't go on the piss a lot...? :confused:
    The ESB applies strange incesstuous selection criteria when it comes to hiring sparkies. Not many opps there otherwise plenty of unemployed sparkies out there re-training.
    You didn't answer my question though.
    Permanent and pensionable = security?
    Um... yes.
    Grads have more opps
    Depends on the degree. A BA has **** all opps - I say that as a graduate of one. Sure, it's good for the mind, and if I had my time back, I'd still do it, but it's not much use for getting a job, unlike practical experience - certainly in this climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Are you suggesting students don't go on the piss a lot...? :confused:.

Some dont drink at all you know

In other news:
    Some Gay people dont like Abba
    Some Black people dont like Rap music
    Some Women dont like soaps
    etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course, but Sonnenblumen seemed to be pretending there aren't students who go on the piss a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Of course, but Sonnenblumen seemed to be pretending there aren't students who go on the piss a lot.

seriously wtf does people going on the piss have to do with any of this they also have to spend money on food electricity heating clothes transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

They need to introduce fee's...

Ireland's college system isn't as great as it could be. Of the 1500 paid for college, 600-700 goes to the Students union. The rest goes to the research and post grad improvements. Whereas tuition fee's pay the lecturers. Any increase in the 'reg' fee's will generally lead to an increase of college standards (classes, computers, increase of lectures, teaching methods etc. etc.) Lecturers already have had the taxes implemented upon them, but they do need a decrease in payments. Also fee's will wipe out the whole "I'll go to college for the craic" and "Well I wont pay tuition fee's, so I'll buy my son/daughter a car"..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

darragh16 wrote: »
    Lecturers already have had the taxes implemented upon them, but they do need a decrease in payments. Also fee's will wipe out the whole "I'll go to college for the craic" and "Well I wont pay tuition fee's, so I'll buy my son/daughter a car"..

Its the senior lecturers and professors that are on the real high salaries. They are being paid for research and thats it really. Most of them in my experience can't 'lecture' to save their lives.

Advertisement