Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    Run within yourself for the first half and race the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for that link Amadeus. I've been meaning....for ages....to get round to finding out about G.I. - even have an (unread) book somewhere around here. :rolleyes: No excuse now - it's bookmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Have a read of this. Low GI foods release the energy slowly and are better in teh carb loading phase but higher GI foods are better just before the race. The database allows you to see how many carbs are in a given amount of a food and how fast they will be released versus any other food.

That GI database is excellent. You can do a search of cereals which is very interesting. Without turning this into a nutrition debate does anyone know the difference between cooked and raw porridge oats. I have started eating raw porridge as a cereal with fruit mainly because its more palatable and easier to prepare but someone told me that cooking oats for a few minutes changes the way your body processes them and that raw oats are less beneficial than their cooked equivalent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    I think that is where the discovery of fire, and then throwing a dinosaur on it before eating him, is where we then gained the time and energy to start worrying about other things, like inventing the wheel and talking rubbish on internet forums. Cooked food is easier to digest and you get the energy out of it much better than you would with raw dinosaur, this gives you time to do things other than searching for food all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

RedB wrote: »
    How difficult is it to do negative splits?
    I'm unsure about what pace to run at as I've bombed on previous ocassions and am tempted to run conservatively this time. However I also don't want to undersell myself so I've been thinking about going with a pacer group and maybe upping the pace in the second half. Trying to make up 5mins or more in the last 10miles is what I'd have in mind but would that be too ambitious?

To run a negative split I did the following -

Raced a half marathon a few months before the marathon and inputted my time into the McMillan calculator here - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

This site gives you a time to aim for in the marathon and also the pace that which you should run. I rounded up my time slightly as I had hit the wall in previous marathons and wanted to play it safe. I then printed out a pace band from this site - http://www.tapermadness.org/paceband.html got it laminated and wore it on the day of the race. I tried staying within 5 seconds of the splits allowing a little bit here and there due to hills. With a few miles to go I dug deep and was able to increase my speed by about 20 seconds a mile to result in a negative split by about a minute.

I must point out that although the last few miles were run only 20 seconds quicker they were 10 times as difficult as the first miles! My HR over the last few miles was at my 5k race HR. Don’t expect to increase your pace by much in a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Mile 0 - 1 = Flat

Mile 1 - 2 = flat

Mile 2 - 3 = Just after the 2 mile mark theres a climb as you pass by the rotunda. Its about 150m long, then we turn right onto dorset street, which isnt flat, slight drag for the rest of this mile.

Mile 3 - 4 = Fairly flat then some downhill sections, good mile to make some time up.

Mile 4 - 5 = Hit the phoenix park and come out at Chesterfield ave, which always seems like an uphill slog no matter what direction youre headed. Toughish mile.

Mile 5 - 7 = flat with some downhill as we head down upper glen road and towards the chapelizod gate.

Mile 8-9 = Exit park and its flat until we hit a hill that is a bit of a ****er. Only about 200m long but still troublesome.

Mile 9 - 10 = Mostly flat but contains a drag.

Mile 10 - 11 = Flat - downhill

Mile 11 - 13.5 = Emerge out at dolphins barn, drag that lasts for 2.5miles. This is a poxy part of the course and if theres even a slight wind it'll be very tough. So dont go crazy in the lead up to this point in the race, be conservative. Half marathon point is reached just after superquinn.

Mile 13.5 - 15 = Flat. If youre going for a negative split nows the time to crank things up a notch, next couple of miles are easy.

Mile 15 - 18.5 = A good few downhill segments, an opportunity to make up some quick miles.

Mile 18.5 = Hill. Nothing major, about 100m but enough to knock the stuffin' out of your legs. Then downhill to about 19.5miles

Mile 19.5 = Another kicker of a drag on clonskeagh road. Lasts unitl the 20mile point

Mile 20 -21 = Has roebuck hill but it isnt anything major. But at the same time, bide your time and go steady as after this its flat miles all the way to the finish. After roebuck hill theres a nice desent to the stillorgan duel carriageway.

Miles 21 -24 = flat. Just after 24 theres a slight climb over the canal bridge. About 30m.

Miles 24 -26.2 = Flat

First half is defintely harder than the second half so it'd be well worth waiting til after the walkinstown roundabout to make a move and take things up a notch. Plenty of flat easy mles in the second half, particularly in the last 10k, so even if you left it til the last 10k to speed up that would reep big rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the course description! There's also a slight rise at 22.25 or so, at the UCD flyover - its quite a short easy gradient. I was in Dublin last week and ran the section from Roebuck road to the finish.

For the past few years I've shepherded club members & others from Shelbourne Road to the finish and always see people slow down and drift into the gutter. Stay out of the gutter as much as possible, particularly late on, as the camber on the road is particularly bad in places.

Two location in particular come to mind: Pearse st. and Nassau st., both in the last mile.
    Pearse St. will be coned with runners running in the Bus Lane. Stay out near the cones for the smoothest ride.
    Nassau St. is very bad just after turning off at the bottom of Grafton st., so stay out from the Trinity side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

dont know if this was asked before but does anybody know if High5 have a stand at the expo?

More than likely will pick up my isogels tomorrow but just in case bike shop is sold out want to have backup.

Thanks,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    There'll be numerous stands selling high-5 gels.

There'll be numerous stands selling high-5 gels.

Great thanks, that takes a bit of wory away just incase the usual place I buy them is sold out:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    as long as there's little or no wind, I'll be a happy man. Don't mind the cold too much, actually enjoyed '08. Which reminds me, I must get to Penney's to pick up my disposable's from the bargain bins :D
    At the moment it looks like almost calm conditions using these 2 websites :) :

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1441.html
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=
    (select uk wind speed /direc from dropdown and 141 for Monday at 9am.All subject to change at this stage but by Thursday we should have a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

4 stars (good)
    I'm driving in from Meath (N3) - I was in Dublin today and was looking for a spot. Lombard Street looks handy - Has anybody got better locations. I used to work near Hogan Place and I got my car broke into there some years ago. It says paid parking Mon-Sat on Lombard Street - I assume that this does not apply on a bank holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    I think Donothop is a guinea pig for the carb depletion approach this time.

I decided against it (Slogger Jogger is trying it).

From reading up-

*It does work
    *It f*cks with your system
    *taking modern fast-carb-release gels does exactly the same thing.

I've got my iso gels and carb belt, empty crisp wrappers in front of me as I type:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    thedeal wrote: »
    dont know if this was asked before but does anybody know if High5 have a stand at the expo?

More than likely will pick up my isogels tomorrow but just in case bike shop is sold out want to have backup.

Thanks,

I was in cycleogical today beside the ha'penny bridge and they have loads of high 5 gels there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    I was in cycleogical today beside the ha'penny bridge and they have loads of high 5 gels there.

Do they still cost a small fortune there? Last time I went there they were going to charge me €1.90 each. I got them in London the week after for £0.95 each which is massively cheaper.
    They used to do a box for €28 but the last time I tried some guy in there just multiplied the number inthe box by 1.90 and arrived at a cost of €38.:mad:

Hacked me right off they did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    You can get a box of 20 for £15 on Wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Sarsfield, i usually get my gels in cyclelogical and never been charged that per gel before. Usually 1.50 at most but it depends who serves you from my visits there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

So who will be the winners this year - have heard the real Aleksy Sokolov is back?? And who will feature in the Irish champs- wonder will marathon mission crew run??
    Would think the mens could be quite a battle between last yrs winner Sergio and the Dublin half winner this yr (AOS), if both are running..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

brutes1 wrote: »
    So who will be the winners this year - have heard the real Aleksy Sokolov is back?? And who will feature in the Irish champs- wonder will marathon mission crew run??
    Would think the mens could be quite a battle between last yrs winner Sergio and the Dublin half winner this yr (AOS), if both are running..

Yep, Sokolov is back. Also, three women sub 2.30.
    Sergiu Ciobanu is just back from 5 weeks training in his native Moldova and he should be pushed all the way by Alan O'Shea. Others who should be knocking on the sub 2.20 door are Joe McAlister, Brian MacMahon, Barry Minnock and Greg Roberts.
    A good few Irish entries in the womens race who should run around 2.45.
    If I get a chance, I'll put the winners names up here on Sunday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    Music

Just read through the Acceptance Slip - they strongly advise agsinst the use of Ipods etc ...
    I use an Ipod quite extensively on my runs...what are people doing in relation to this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If I get a chance, I'll put the winners names up here on Sunday night :)

That'd be impressive!! Then we can all get into the bookies on Monday morning before they actually run the race and make a killing :D Only kidding, I know it's a typo ;) That'd be appreciated HW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Jacky08 wrote: »
    I use an Ipod quite extensively on my runs...what are people doing in relation to this ?

lolz... search for 'ipods' in the main forum, this can of worms is regularly revisited.
    Short answer - lots of people use ipods in training and that's fine, but in a race they're not safe (because you can't hear other runners, stewards, traffic) and they mean you miss out on some of the race experience (chatting with other runners, spectators cheering you on).
    Do yourself a favour, leave your ipod in your pocket and take it out only if you feel you can't go on without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    Do they still cost a small fortune there? Last time I went there they were going to charge me €1.90 each.

About 1.80 each or something close to that. It does seem a bit much for a bit of sugary syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    Jacky08 wrote: »
    Music

Just read through the Acceptance Slip - they strongly advise agsinst the use of Ipods etc ...

There was an extensive and very informative Thread on this recently..Tink it was called "to Pod or not to Pod".... If ur planning on using one on the day just dont have the volume up too high so u can be aware and alert as to whats going on around u......

I also use an Ipod and personally I wont b turning it on until about 20 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Maybe turn off the iPod for the last mile as well. It's the best part of the course for atmosphere, and you'll appreciate it much more if you can hear the crowds.

I always use an Ipod in training and did for half marathon as it was my first race, I missed out on the cheering and banter with other runners so for Athlone 3/4 decided against using Ipod and even though Athlone 3/4 was a much smaller event than Dublin Half I much prefered not having Ipod so I would leave it at home on Monday and just take in the atposphere of the crowds and other runners around you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Monday is my first marathon so nerves are building but this is fantastic thread for advice. Find myself checking in every few hours to see new posts.

Just back in from 3 mile jog and felt pretty sluggish. I hope that's not a bad sign.

Good advice about iPod. Id feel lost without mine but never too loud to drown out surrounding noise. But will definitely take them out for last mile. Looking forward to the atmosphere. (counting on it ha ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Please dont start the ipod nazis off agAin. I personally dont use one but dont see the harm in them.

3 stars (average)
    ....must.....not....respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    thedeal wrote: »
    I always use an Ipod in training and did for half marathon as it was my first race, I missed out on the cheering and banter with other runners so for Athlone 3/4 decided against using Ipod and even though Athlone 3/4 was a much smaller event than Dublin Half I much prefered not having Ipod so I would leave it at home on Monday and just take in the atposphere of the crowds and other runners around you...

Seems like I sensitive subject :D OOPS
    I take your point - I can run with or without, I know I'll hit a part of the race whereby I might struggle so music usually helps you through ..I should have indicated that or actaully searched the forum before posting;)

The less items I have, the better I suppose

Advertisement